• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

QLD DORF Clan: R.I.P. DORF OFF

J-Birds

Smash Lord
J-birds, Dorf off has become a monthly event in a way. It's a still a chance to get friendlies and proper tourney practice as well, not just Ganon ditto's so there's not much of a reason to pioritize other events except major's like Tempest. Also the very reason why Dorf off's has it's own thread is because it is a gimmick event so.. meh :)
lol good one

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
lol I suck at making a point.

I guess all I was trying to say is that you don't really need to tell the Dorf's that, because they always have worked around other event schedules and not the other way around. Also while they are gimmicky, the DORF OFF's are made of pure win so let's not discard them over other events entirely.

I think that's better written haha.

seaDORF

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to see a ratio of normal tournaments to dorf-offs at least 4:1. I do enjoy dorf-offs but they definitely should not occur anywhere near as frequently as other tournaments. I'd be happy having a dorf-off maybe once every 2- 3 months or so.

I wish there were more standard QLD tournaments though... However, i do understand why they space them out in order to enhance attendences. It just feels like ages since the last monthly.

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
it does feel like its been ages.

also if people want a dorf off there do it.. host what you want.

also got a new tv, maybe ill have some people over for weekday lunch time smash. anyday
bring anygame. just tell me =P by posting on this board =P

for kas ->

zzz wanna do something today as well

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
we're not trying to interfere with other tournaments and meets, which is why I said after tempest because there's nothing else planned as of yet.. and if there was, we would schedule the next DORF OFF around it. I agree qld should be more focused on regular events, but we're not the ones you should be telling it to.

we don't have any idea where we're going to host the next tournament anyway, so it could be a fair while before it happens.

Kaydash

Smash Apprentice
Gotta catch up soon and bring my dorf to the table.

I got my hands on another copy of melee and after 3 masochistic years ive decided im putting brawl behind me and looking to the future with the past.

Edit, you crazy southerners, with your active community.

Cheers for the Protip Vyse but yeah, I'm in the right thread. :chuckle:

seaDORF

Smash Journeyman
POOOOOOOOWEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Pine's return has been eagerly anticipated. Pine's ganon is unrivalled and would easily be one of the best ganons in the world. It would suck to miss out on witnessing this phenomenon.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
God****, nothing is ever simple =_=

EDIT: As much as I want to come to this, I feel that's important that I go to UniLan primarily because it's a last chance opportunity to push people to come to Tempest.

seaDORF

Smash Journeyman
Front page MATES

LOCATION UNDISCLOSED

Ganondorfs weekend...

FRIDAY - Pub all night at Lucky Star, anyone who wants to prove their worth, feel free to come..

SATURDAY - Drinking all day and ganondorf tournament/dittos between 5 dudes BEEEEHH, then going into town later for a big night

SUNDAY - Wake up, can't find pants, straight dudes in bed... might make the effort to come to gametraders.

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
yes, it will clash.

you can only come to this by coming to the pub with us friday night.

we don't want to deter people from going to 'proper' QLD meets, like this last minute bond uni thing. If you do come, you must be prepared for a night out on the town afterward or GTFO and go home to your mummy.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
i watched the news today... the was some realistate story about corruption...
and the bad guy was Mr. Gannon..
lol he kinda talked like gannondorf it was good to watch.
I read a story in the paper ages ago of some preist who molested some boys and stuff, and his last name was ganon.

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
thinking of abandoning this thread, we've been criticized for taking attention away from 'regular' QLD smash events, but nothing else seems to be happening anyway.. apart from tempest and a couple of nothing meets there hasn't been anything happening since last PMS in april. Thoughts?

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
May aswell keep it if nobody else is organising anything. I think the main problem with organising other stuff is just that the last few weeks have been uni assesment blocks but holidays start this week / next week.

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
well, we were planning the next DORF OFF and some people were saying 'no these novelty events are taking precedence over proper events' so we abandoned it and............ nothing happened. Uni assessment is a factor, but not everybody goes to uni here.. I don't think it accounts for 2 months of nothing. I guess I'll see how things go after tempest, most uni people will be on holidays by then so hopefully things can get back into motion.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Adam. The problem your talking about is one I've been trying to address lately.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=277224 - Read that a little. Although, I no longer really want to see this thread become a 'meet ups' thread. I think it's fine as is.

Uni isn't just a factor, it quite literally is the reason. In Queensland, there's a strong correlation between people who want to run tournaments, and people who go to uni.

Generally speaking, the people motivated to organise a tournament, get numbers, book rooms, are the people also going to Uni, which means they're over-extending themselves as it is. Last thing I wanted to do in the last two months was worry about Tempest, and that's why I didn't do much of anything with it til now.

So, Dorfs, basically my message to the people who say 'these events take away from proper tournaments', is that the onus is on them to do something about it. Myself included. Don't stop what you're doing, because it's a good thing. It brings everyone together and we have a blast.

I only ask that you schedule around tournaments people plan - the point being that if nothing is planned, then go for it.

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
to the people who say 'these events take away from proper tournaments', is that the onus is on them to do something about it.
That was my point, we respected what people said about DORF OFF's taking attention away from regular tournaments, but then no regular tournaments eventuated anyway. I just don't see how people can complain about our tournaments, then do nothing to support their argument.

I only ask that you schedule around tournaments people plan - the point being that if nothing is planned, then go for it.
We already do this and always have, we don't want to clash with other tournaments. We were considering one hawtsoike/GT weekend, but canned it once those tourneys were announced.. then they both fell through. We're all mega psyched for tempest because we haven't been able to play any competitive smash in a while now.

We've lost motivation to host another DORF OFF, but we might consider it after tempest depending on how things pan out. You brought up some encouraging points in the reform thread. None of this frustration is directed at you btw vyse, imo without you the QLD smash scene wouldn't exist.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
imo without you the QLD smash scene wouldn't exist.
That's not just your opinion, thats the general consensus amongst the whole of qld. Antho and Bob are the key players.

Nobody wanted you to stop running DORF OFF's, I think they are a great idea and if theres nothing going on you should keep running them. I think the main problem is that the 3 people that organise, antho bob and hotdogs, have all been extremely busy the last 2 months, that's all there is to it. And all of us have been too busy to attend, I haven't been able to attend anything for months, i only finish exams next wednesday.

The only other tournament scheduled was hawtsoiiike but that had to be cancelled because i think it fell at a bad time for most of the melee players (and it was a melee tournament).

But yeah, after Tempest there will probably be a streak of tourney's hosted while there's some downtime at uni / holidays, and plenty of time for DORF OFF's which you should keep going cuz you guys have brought out the most unique ideas for a smash fest.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
All you new kids thinking you know about qld smash.. We used to have 3-4 meets a month back in 06-07, with at least 1 being a std. It never died, we just got more responsibilities and had to ease up on it. We had 4-5 tourneys per year during 06-07 and too me that felt like too many. Plz dont pull the entire scene down to a single member, thats when things start to go wrong. Dont forget d.j kaion(?robina guy lol) and Scott are doing ther bit as well.

undead_moose

Smash Lord
No Zac we don't exist. Smash started with brawl. No one will ever remember Zeruda vs Marasu and Toai got tech and radience being disqualified. MEMORIES

If ANYTHING soog started the gold coast scene by having meree at his house which Anthony Aron and myself would play every weekend long into the night. And then we played Mario party..... Holy **** I'm nostalgaring like a mother ****ing war vet.

The bad comics soog drew. Team azu. Team sigma omega. THE WARD best crew name ever. The short story Anthony wrote. Doing a it video assignment by making our own terrible combo videos. NANCY DREW TEEN DETECTIVE GONNA SAVE THE WORLD FROM MYSTERY! Jensen Mccgreggor finding out he is only a hand. Your mum jokes being hysterical. Couch cancelling. Telling Zac he should of learned how to vs sheik. Now I feel old and depressed.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
Turning up wasn't half the effort that it was to organise stuff though. Anthony deserves a bit of respect for the effort when not many people could be bothered and for all his work with maintaining some sort of regularity, just like you deserved the respect when you ran the scene and when you run tournaments now, and scott when he runs tournaments an dJ kaion.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Jensen Mcgregor, what are you doing EATING BABIES?

Syke, you are right though, we've all eased up on things. Instead of pushing for more tournaments in the last 2 months, I've been hitting Uni hard and it's paying off (Scalable Systems Development = 89% = Win). I know you're a smart person, so as much as I dis

Instead of pushing for grassroots tournaments these past 2 months I've been hitting animania/mana bar/game traders/bond uni/talking to staff at QUT to get the club up and running and hoping other people would press on where I can't and that's where the point I was making before comes in.

I miss the old days too, but whether the dues we owe to the earliest pioneers of smash in Queensland are paid or not is missing the point, which is sustaining it in the now. I want there to be a big shakeup after Tempest.

I'm going to train Cal and get him to start organising tournaments here. He's motivated but doesn't go to Uni, which I think is the right combo. I'm going to work more closely with Kaion to get Helensvale sorted out as a venue.

I'm going to stop focusing on the big picture for at least a while. That is, growth. I'm tired of running tournaments at places that I don't actually want to encourage anyone to go to because I know they'll be ****. That is, all the tournaments I run besides LanSmash. All I do is advertise.

I'm not catering for Melee or Brawl with the majority of these things. Brawl is just the new game, so I go with that and hope that I can catch the attention of people that might like both games for Melee's sake (which just Tuesday night at the mana bar I did - I met a couple of guys who played but liked Melee better - I think they've already even signed up for Tempest).

I didn't even really want to deal with the Manabar on Tuesday, but for the sake of Tempest I made my way out there. Cao and I both agree that at the end of the day, the people who really want to stick to the scene are the ones that find us on their own anyway.

I'm not really doing a good job of keeping the scene alive. That's Kaion/Scott's/Syke's job. LanSmash counts I guess, but most of my activity has been about exposing the tournament scene to people and injecting them in forcefully. Something I'd like to deviate from until we're back to being regular again.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
Anthony is still pretty much the nuts and bolts of this community. I'm sure if he stepped down somebody else would be there instead, but he's still that person for qld right now.

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
is it really necessary for a handful of ********s to always turn every discussion into a pointless argument? I never said I've been playing smash competitively as long as everyone else and therefore know the history of QLD smash and that we owe everything to the people who started it.. seaDORF googled 'smash bros tournament QLD' late last year and we found out about a hotcats tournament and decided to go and have hung around since then.

That's why I said
imo without you the QLD smash scene wouldn't exist.
emphasis on the phrase 'in my opinion', because unlike some people I see my opinion as just that, my personal view.. not fact that everyone should accept or I'll argue the point until it's dead.

Since I've entered the QLD smash scene, vyse is the main man that I've seen constantly trying to promote it and encourage new players to join smashboards, come to meets and tournaments and get involved. Bob has kept social meets going and kaion/hotdogs have kept the tournaments running, but I still feel that vyse has put in the most effort by far. Apart from those mentioned, I've met a lot of cool dudes who are friendly to get along with and love playing smash. However, I don't understand why a lot of the veteran QLD smashers are so negative towards the rest of the community.. all you seem to do is complain, then for instance take a shot at me for praising Anthony because you were the ones that started it all, so you deserve the recognition and I know nothing.

You may have started QLD smash, but from a relatively new player's point of view you're not doing anything to keep it going. Maybe you should stick with your nostalgia and go back to playing melee in each others bedrooms every weekend. Oh and if you're just going to respond by saying 'stupid brawltard etc etc' just like most people here, my love of smash began with melee, I still consider it the source of the best times I've had with video games.

Top Bottom