• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[QLD] Brisbane/Gold Coast Meets & Tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
so i just got sick. so the possibility of me turning up to this has now drastically dropped D=

however, i'll still try and turn up, but if i wake up on the day and feel like death i probs won't drag my *** to gc for this =[

****ing sickness... turns up when you least want it...

seaDORF

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty keen on playing again. I'll be there at SmashPlay V.

Matt or Jaice wanna team with me?

EDIT: I agree about variety. I'm picking up Lucario in brawl and Samus in melee. See how that pans out haha.
Actually **** lucario and samus, they're too floaty for me. Tried em out yesterday. Boring characters with respect to their games. Hurling bananas and shooting lasers are alot more fun.

Remastered

Smash Lord
Also, there's a pretty good reason why some characters are not used. What's more intriguing to me is that apparently Falco is high up the tier list for Brawl but no-one uses him. Tis a mystery.
Falco is harder to use and not as cheap as MK and Snake. His timing for a lot of his tricks are very tight. He also dies a lot easier than all of the other high tiers because of his lack of momentum cancelling and light weight (80% with an olimar Purple Usmash, and about the same maybe a bit more for a snake Utilt), and has a few very bad MU's unlike his high tier counterparts.

However he is that high up because his MU on MK is considered = if MK doesn't play gay and plank. It's the same reason why Fox is high tier in Japan too (apart from their style of play being much more agressive).

If MK were ever to be banned (hallelujah) then Fox would drop horribly and Falco would drop a little.

Remastered

Smash Lord
The main reason why many characters are not used is because MK exists. When is he being banned? At least we could make a rule like 'Cannot use MK for the second or third fight in a set'. I think that would be reasonable for (pocket) MK users. QLD ruleset DOES NOT have to be exactly the same as all of the others states.
From what I heard from Attila, other states already have this rule. You either play MK otherwise you can't swap to him later in the set.

It is puzzling how Falco is overseen in QLD...
lol

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Falco is harder to use and not as cheap as MK and Snake. His timing for a lot of his tricks are very tight. He also dies a lot easier than all of the other high tiers because of his lack of momentum cancelling and light weight (80% with an olimar Purple Usmash, and about the same maybe a bit more for a snake Utilt), and has a few very bad MU's unlike his high tier counterparts.

However he is that high up because his MU on MK is considered = if MK doesn't play gay and plank. It's the same reason why Fox is high tier in Japan too (apart from their style of play being much more agressive).

If MK were ever to be banned (hallelujah) then Fox would drop horribly and Falco would drop a little.
so much here is wrong.

snake is often considered the most difficult character to use in brawl. his game revolves around mindgames and out thinking your opponent, which cannot be said for any other character in the game. his freakin projectile doesn't hit for three seconds, so why do people get hit by it? mindgames son, mindgames. if you're having trouble with ftilt/utilt and you're using a high tier, then you're bad at this game.

fox is considered high in japan because he is a good character, and because yui manages to consistently place highly with him at big tournaments.

they are also considerably more campy than we are, but they have less timeouts due to the sudden death rule and the 10 minute timer.

From what I heard from Attila, other states already have this rule. You either play MK otherwise you can't swap to him later in the set.
i most definitely never said that, and we have no such rule; i personally am all for a complete mk ban, however.

Remastered

Smash Lord
Who considers him oftenly the most difficult? I personally don't find him hard to use at all. Very simple dacus. Monstorous power and his inability to die, along with having the most moves with arguably the biggest disjoint. His grenades take 3 seconds, but he can have 2 out at once and they do damage if they hit you and don't explode (doing more by just hitting you then what the laser does), aswell as not going stale when they do go off.

I heard you say something after our match against S.D and Smoking puppy where we got countered by both of them changing to MK, to which I heard you say 'we have rules against that where I come from'. Must have taken it out of context, my apologies.

I will still argue however that Fox and Falco are largely where they are on the tier because of MK and are 2 of only a few characters that benefit from having MK still not banned. Snake being another one.

I'm glad to hear you think MK should go too though, any ideas why this hasn't happened yet?

Popdart

Smash Cadet
I'll team with you Cal if you want. Brawl doubles mainly and if you want, Melee Doubles too.

Also looking forward to some MvC3 action.

Attila_

BRoomer
Who considers him oftenly the most difficult? I personally don't find him hard to use at all. Very simple dacus. Monstorous power and his inability to die, along with having the most moves with arguably the biggest disjoint. His grenades take 3 seconds, but he can have 2 out at once and they do damage if they hit you and don't explode (doing more by just hitting you then what the laser does), aswell as not going stale when they do go off.

I heard you say something after our match against S.D and Smoking puppy where we got countered by both of them changing to MK, to which I heard you say 'we have rules against that where I come from'. Must have taken it out of context, my apologies.

I will still argue however that Fox and Falco are largely where they are on the tier because of MK and are 2 of only a few characters that benefit from having MK still not banned. Snake being another one.

I'm glad to hear you think MK should go too though, any ideas why this hasn't happened yet?
double mk in teams is banned in vic, not switching to him mid-set.

also, if you think snake is easy to use, you've only played him against noobs (lol qld). his disjoint is nothing special in reality, as mk dtilt/ftilt and diddy fair outranges snake ftilt, and marth dtilt and mk ftilt outranges utilt (im assuming you didn't know that). not to mention characters like mk have priority over his tilts; they're actually not even the strong point of his game. watch my matches with corpse and count how many tilts i hit him with. most of the damage comes from explosives and throws.

when a nade hits you and doesnt explode, just run through and grab snake. its really not that difficult; snake will only be hitting you with nades if you're fat/aerial camping.

also, most kills come from tech chases or aerials, rarely will i hit a good player with a straight utilt. its too obvious, and will always be punished on shield or wiff.

his heaviness also makes him a huge target to being juggled, he'll live forever, but against most characters, will not actually be able to recover until he dies. if you're playing properly, at least.

dacus is simple, but not overly useful. not even sure why you decided to mention it at all.

snake against noobs is seriously easy, but if you're playing against someone who knows how to bait and punish, and knows that nades shouldn't hit them, suddenly you've got a struggle on your hands. there are reasons why no top player has ever successfully picked up snake, but managed to do well with other characters (gluttony's falco or 9B's ics for example).

also, you don't main snake, so your opinion is automatically discredited. and there was a poll a while ago, which deduced that ics and snake were the hardest characters to master. just btw.

and mk should go because suddenly top tier swells to about 8 characters, all of which become extremely tourney viable. and because tornado is frickin stupid.

Remastered

Smash Lord
double mk in teams is banned in vic, not switching to him mid-set.
See I thought I heard something like that, good rule.

also, if you think snake is easy to use, you've only played him against noobs (lol qld). his disjoint is nothing special in reality, as mk dtilt/ftilt and diddy fair outranges snake ftilt, and marth dtilt and mk ftilt outranges utilt (im assuming you didn't know that). not to mention characters like mk have priority over his tilts.
Every character has moves that beat others, especially when you compare high tiers. Hell I could go through and name all the moves Luigi has that beats other characters, but it would remain as pointless as telling people which moves winout like you just have. In general Snake's tilts are broken compared to the options of other characters. There is a reason he is the second best character, and this is one of the reasons for it.

his heaviness also makes him a huge target to being juggled, he'll live forever, but against most characters, will not actually be able to recover until he dies. if you're playing properly, at least.
Again more information that is common knowledge.

dacus is simple, but not overly useful. not even sure why you decided to mention it at all.
I remember you using this quite a bit (atleast 3 times in one match that I watched), so is it really not useful?

there are reasons why no top player has ever successfully picked up snake, but managed to do well with other characters (gluttony's falco or 9B's ics for example).
I'm not exactly sure what point you are trying to make by this but why use another character, when snake has no MU that is considered unwinnable?

also, you don't main snake, so your opinion is automatically discredited.
This has to be one of the most annoying and most redundent things anyone can say in an argument. Not only does it make you sound like a whinging little *****, but it's the same as having some old guy say 'listen to your elders because they know better'. So stupid and 'I don't know why you even brought it up' :)

and there was a poll a while ago, which deduced that ics and snake were the hardest characters to master. just btw.
There was a poll in the states that showed that oranges were a bigger threat for cancer, then apples (they had the option to choose both or niether). People are stupid, and polls are even more stupid. Just btw.

You can think what you like but there are a number of reasons why snake is number 2. Anyway that's me done for ranting. Will let the thread get back on track yet again from my usual ability to derail it.

Attila_

BRoomer
Every character has moves that beat others, especially when you compare high tiers. Hell I could go through and name all the moves Luigi has that beats other characters, but it would remain as pointless as telling people which moves winout like you just have. In general Snake's tilts are broken compared to the options of other characters. There is a reason he is the second best character, and this is one of the reasons for it.

I remember you using this quite a bit (atleast 3 times in one match that I watched), so is it really not useful?

I'm not exactly sure what point you are trying to make by this but why use another character, when snake has no MU that is considered unwinnable?

This has to be one of the most annoying and most redundent things anyone can say in an argument. Not only does it make you sound like a whinging little *****, but it's the same as having some old guy say 'listen to your elders because they know better'. So stupid and 'I don't know why you even brought it up' :)

There was a poll in the states that showed that oranges were a bigger threat for cancer, then apples (they had the option to choose both or niether). People are stupid, and polls are even more stupid. Just btw.

You can think what you like but there are a number of reasons why snake is number 2. Anyway that's me done for ranting. Will let the thread get back on track yet again from my usual ability to derail it.
i'd assume that luigi hasn't a single move to beat snake's utilt, but at the same time, luigi is a bad character. mk/marth/d3/diddy/wario/olimar/falco have plenty of options on the other hand, and punish way harder than any ftilt will. saying 'snake's tilts are broken' is such a '09 mindset; no one believes that anymore, espc when mk clearly has better tilts. tilts aren't even almost as useful as nades and grabs, unless you're versing noobs who a) are unaware of punish options or b) forget to press the shield button.

i use dacus three times in one match? on average ill use 70 nades a game. now that my friend, is pretty useful.

in tournament, snake should never beat oli or d3. both are 65:35 mus, which really shouldnt be overcome.

kids should listen to their elders; kids are idiots.

it wasnt a poll, but rather a discussion. id recommend you search and have a read.

snake hasn't been number two for ages, the tier list is almost a year old. diddy far surpasses him in tourney rankings and mus, and arguably falco does also. and being high on the tier list does not represent how difficult he is to use either.

btw, i only flamed cause you said snake was cheap, which i personally found quite offensive. just cause i three stocked you in pools, no need to discredit my skill, please.

Rianogard

Smash Apprentice
AD3PT often uses Snake against my Peach, the Peach you were hesitant to verse at the last QLD tournament, even though the MU is well in Snake's favour. Please refrain from falling back onto the generic "lol qld" comments.

Every character requires the use of 'mindgames' and the only time when you don't really need to think hard is when playing as MK.

His (grenades) projectile does not require charge and has one of the highest knock backs for a non-chargeable projectile, of which I think only Peach (sporadically) trumps him in this aspect.

If you compare Snake's disjoints to let's say, Luigi's, Snake seems Godly. Snake's utilt does a lot of damage, kills at low percents, has a lot of priority, has a massive disjointed hitbox and it stage spikes. Do not deny how great a move it is. MK has transcendant priority. Of course he will have priority over his tilts, thus the reason why he is the top character and Snake is second. If the Snake user is not relying on grenades in a match against MK than that Snake user is stupid.

Running through and grabbing Snake often leads to yourself receiving damage/dying/becoming vulnerable as there is usually a grenade there ready to detonate.

I agree with you that Snake is easy to juggle. One of the satisfying things about versing Snake's. However, this usually only occurs when he falls onto platforms (he is juggled easily on Battlefield).

His dacus I believe is one of the reasons why the MU for Snake and Olimar is close to equal. It is a disruptive technique. Peach's dsmash is considered not overly useful, however like Snake's dacus, it is a disruptive technique which still is useful at certain times. Just not as useful as for example, Peach's fair.

Opinion poll's are rarely accurate. Poll's are not definitive and do not always result in a) the same results if two identical polls are put foward and b) logically correct results. They can easily be falsified.

Any character against a 'noob' is seriously easy, thus the reason why you call these people 'noobs'. Additionally, it will usually be a struggle with any character, if you are versing an 'adept' player and this is why you call them 'adept'.

AD3PT, main 'RANDOM' then you automatically become omniscient concerning every character in Brawl. Just because someone does not 'main' a certain character, it does not mean that information they provide about a certain character is discredible. In essence, you are saying that the information you provided about the other characters is discedible too.

In summary, even though you may be right about no Snake user doing exceptionally well, I am sure there are less, legitimate Ganondorf tournament wins then there are Snake wins. Please, stop trying to convince people that Snake is difficult to master. He is ranked highly - number 2 at the moment (im assuming you didn't know that) - for a reason.

Attila_

BRoomer
i used falco because i didnt want to play the oli/snake mu, cause its ********, not cause i was afraid of the peach/snake mu lol.

ill read the rest later.

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
hey guys snake isn't that good. learn the match up and its alot easier.. stop getting hit by grenades =P
ide say snake is hard to master since alot of people naturally have trouble with him =P
same goes for mk. they both got alot of potential. its also easy to pick up snake and mk and win.. but thats cause they have that potential.. but u aren't gonna see a tornado only mk, or ftilting snake win any legit tournaments.

Attila_

BRoomer
given that both jayce and adept focused on snake's tilt game and even his dacus over his nade game shows that they really have no idea what they're talking about. his tilts have nothing on his nades. maybe back before spacing and baiting existed, but not since then have tilts/dacus been complained about. and being number 2 doesn't make him easy to use; you clearly don't even realise his strongest point.

cbf replying to the rest, cause its all answered in my prior post.

Remastered

Smash Lord
btw, i only flamed cause you said snake was cheap, which i personally found quite offensive. just cause i three stocked you in pools, no need to discredit my skill, please.
Don't flatter yourself too much, our match was played once we both knew we were already through to brackets (niether of us having lost a match). We played the first which was tight on the last stock. The second one I illusioned off the edge twice (including one immediately after coming back from death at 0%). They were simply to see how you played for when I met you in the bracket, and I threw the second because I had learnt what I needed to know. Had I taken either of those matches against you seriously, don't you think I would have used D3?

Apparently you need to be smart to play Snake lol.

Attila_

BRoomer
next time we meet, $20 mm snake vs d3. i don't lose that mu. no matter how stupid it is.

and i challenge you, pick up snake, and verse someone who knows how to play the game (earl/ted/jei/tibs or anyone considered top ten in aus). mind you, you'd have to travel out of state to find that sort of competition.

funny that you tell me not to flatter myself, when you were the one snidely preparing for our encounter in brackets. that plan didn't work...

Attila_

BRoomer
testies got the right idea :D

and snake vs oli/d3 are generally thought of 65:35ish. you should read discussions and play the game more before commenting.

Attila_

BRoomer
My points are coming from discussions with other snakes; I'm fairly active on the snake boards. I also talk to japanese top players and get their opinions.

Cbf searching, I'm a busy man.

But that you're not a top player, not a snake main, and haven't even played oos, probs best you take my word for it.

Either way, I'm done here.

Rianogard

Smash Apprentice
i used falco because i didnt want to play the oli/snake mu, cause its ********, not cause i was afraid of the peach/snake mu lol.

ill read the rest later.
"ZXV, what do I do?" Him sitting beside you during that match was no coincidence.

given that both jayce and adept focused on snake's tilt game and even his dacus over his nade game shows that they really have no idea what they're talking about. his tilts have nothing on his nades. maybe back before spacing and baiting existed, but not since then have tilts/dacus been complained about. and being number 2 doesn't make him easy to use; you clearly don't even realise his strongest point.

cbf replying to the rest, cause its all answered in my prior post.
We argued points about his tilts and his dacus. We know that his grenades are broken. However, you tried to argue that his grenades were not that great. Again, there is a reason why he is 2nd.

and i challenge you, pick up snake, and verse someone who knows how to play the game (earl/ted/jei/tibs or anyone considered top ten in aus). mind you, you'd have to travel out of state to find that sort of competition.

funny that you tell me not to flatter myself, when you were the one snidely preparing for our encounter in brackets. that plan didn't work...
Jei is a great player and I look foward to versing him again (I commend him on being regarded as a top player whilst not using a top tier character), but I beat him in both pools and the bracket (remember, when you suggested to him that he use Yoshi instead of Pit) and he commended the way I played. I assure you, AD3PT will not even have to move from his home to verse "someone who knows how to play the game".

testies got the right idea :D

and snake vs oli/d3 are generally thought of 65:35ish. you should read discussions and play the game more before commenting.
Like for most of this 'discussion', this statement very much seems to me that you are saying "alalalalalalalalala, I'm not listening". Stop being so conceited.

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
snake is overated,
i only use him cause he is a man. - reason why he is second.. cause people like manly characters... XD
he has a decent mk match up aswell which can explain his early results. after u learn how to vs snake its alot easier. you hardly see snakes winning tournies these days -,-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom