• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[QLD] Brisbane/Gold Coast Meets & Tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
**** RC, if I'm going to start running tournaments I'm not including RC in the stage list. Most stages have obvious advantages for certain characters (D3 chain grab on FD, castle siege, delinfo, etc. fox/falco laser camping on any overly large stage) but MK on RC is probably the most ridiculous. The starters should be kept to battlefield, smashville, yohis and maybe lylat imo even ps1 can be gay.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Thats all well and good, but it still doesn't explain the reasons I mentioned up above for them to be banned. What it also doesn't mention is the kirby land characters and snake also have autokills on transform of castle seige. D3 can chain during transform stage. The right hand side gimps more than half the cast due to only some having the right recovery and ledge grab range to get around it (but that isn't really a reason to ban it). Castle isn't broken because of the second transformation. Its the stuff during transformation that makes it BS. Even if it is for D3.
And Ice Climbers have 0-deaths on every stage. So before I ban Castle Siege, I'd ban ICs as well?.

My answer is that I personally believe that it is a reasonable assumption for players to both expect the eventual transformation and be prepared to merely avoid the opponent during that time.

On this stage, the skillset is not marginalised to the point of there being a sole, defining strategy to win.

Picto is completely random, therefore you still die if it decides to draw something in front of you when recovering or being juggled. Not to mention you can actually be put through the edges with some down throws on some transformations. Therefore not allowing recovery. Unless your MK :), or a few others who can recover well.
However, there is also a fraction of time (3 seconds?) when the transformation is 'drawn' onto the stage, allowing reasonable time to prepare for and counter-act the stage. My rebuttal is to consider the platform ghost on Yoshi's Island Brawl. Just as PictoChat can ruin recoveries, Yoshi's can randomly save others (and there is no known pattern), foiling attempts at KOs on the opponent.

Can you objectively define why one scenario is okay and one isn't?

Personally I'm on the fence about pictochat.

We all know how the stages work, it doesn't change why they shouldn't be allowed. To be honest, any stage that transforms or moves are terrible for Ness and Lucas. The stagelist as it is now promotes everyone to play even more MK.
By this logic, Smashville should be banned because the balloon is both random and capable of gimping Ness' recovery.

But I digress. Matt, I highly reccomend perhaps skimming this thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=291190

I'm also curious to see your answer to:

"So what if MK is broken on RC?"

Could you possibly define objective criteria that reasons why Rainbow Cruise should be banned?

Consider that we ban "Loop" stages because they marginalise the skill set required in Brawl to win (IE, picking Sonic and getting the lead to time out the opponent because it is reasonably certain that the Sonic player will comfortably be able to do so).

Brawl currently contains two win conditions.
- Your opponent loses 3 stock
- You have more stock than the opponent, or if equal, less damage when the time runs out

Where do you draw the line with stages like Rainbow Cruise when a character like Wolf is perfectly capable of timing out Snake on Smashville? We ban stages because they contain over-centralising strategies and skill marginalisation (Dedede on Bridge of Eldin, Sonic on Temple or New Pork). What about Diddy on FD?

Tell me, what is the defining, over-centralising strategy that makes RC ban-worthy? Because if it's running away for 8 minutes, that's not enough for a ban. The difference between RC and Spear Pillar in that regard being that Spear Pillar provides a means of avoiding all conflict that isn't considered under the "No stalling" clause. Whilst Rainbow Cruise is a stage that stops planking, is not random in the slightest, and does not transition faster or as fast as Sonic.

Metaknight on Rainbow Cruise requires a consistent act of keep away for 8 minutes, and if you watched Brood vs M2k, you can see it can be harder than it looks.

It's funny. This argument is almost warrant enough for Port Town to come back.

But the eventual point of all this is that my answer to the question of "So what?" is that we ban things because it is up to us to define the competitive state of Brawl, a subjective pursuit at best unless we adopt the Japanese philosophy of having only 3 stages. This basically means that because we don't like something, we ban it, even if some would call it 'scrubby'.

This is why a stage that is random like Pictochat is okay when a stage like Jungle Japes which isn't random and 100% predictable is banned.

J-Birds

Smash Lord
Jesmo timing out my IC's is a pretty poor example to use

If you're going to comment on Smashville comment on how you can glide from the moving plat on one side under the stage back onto the moving plat on the other side -- NO LEDGE GRAB

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
The problematic point of it all is that the reasoning "We ban it because it's dumb" is both good and bad.

There is philosophy, and there is reality. And if the reality is that if the community is unhappy with a stage, I am happy enough to see it go. If you guys wanted FD/BF/SV, I'd cater for it too, though I disagree with it.

Remastered

Smash Lord
Yes every character has their own advantages on different stages. This however is the reality of smash and is very character specific. Only some characters can time out well on stages against others. That is where knowledge comes into the competitive scene. IC's are easy enough to keep away from as long as you can ban a stage without a platform (FD). IC's Infinite has it's restrictions, and is why they aren't the best character in the game.

The purpose of having different levels is something that I think is good for the game. However the purpose is misguided when 1 or 2 stages on that list give a broken advantage to 1 character (MK in most cases). Why promote the play of the best character who can beat all other characters when played correctly. With RC available, it gives the MK user 'free range' to exploit the counterpick of the character they are versing. Every player now has to consider banning RC and being taken to their usual CP stage, or run the risk of not banning it and get taken there anyway.

Diddy kong has 2 nuetral stages that work very much in his favour, however Diddy Kong has weaknesses depending on the character you verse. MK doesn't have a weakness if played correctly. He has no unfavourable MU and is very hard to CP (if at all). Now giving him a free ban would make him???

What this also doesn't consider is the instage glitches I mentioned before. These have occured by sliding along the ground whilst being attacked, running, landing in particular areas. A stage that can take a stock unknowingly is pretty unviable

The balloon on SV is not an issue as it's height is very predictable and stays within that range. However, picto chat can gimp Ness and Lucas in atleast 5 different ways that I have encountered (there could be plenty more) that are unavoidable if something is drawn(even with 3 seconds lag). Try using Ness or Lucas's recovery while the blowing face is out on either side of the stage. Played a snake who uptilted a spike and because it appeared as he did it they lost a stock. I do like in that thread Vyse posted that they use random damage appearing on a stage as a no skill way of winning. For example: I just beat the best player in the world because a bomb, spike, plant, cart, etc appeared in front of them, or they somehow dropped through a glitched solid stage to their demise.

My premise for stage discussion is, we cannot control the ability of the characters. The randomness of the green missile, the gordo, the overall character that is MK. However we can control the stages that are played on, so why do we continue to put stages in the list that can randomly take stock or advantage a single character greatly. We have a process of quality control, that I currently beleive is failing for the Brawl community.

seaDORF

Smash Journeyman
That church got back to me. They want $45 an hour so no ****ing deal. I thought church community halls would be cheap but this one is obvs not. I guess we'll have to chase the other 3 venues that oldman has on his mind.

Keep you guys posted.

Hotdog

Smash Lord
Lol Matt... IC's aren't the best not because of their restrictions, it's because top pplayers know how to camp against him and avoid getting grabbed. Seriously, what restrictions does he have? 300% stalling restrictions? He only needs to get you to 150% to kill you anyways.

You beat M2K? 2G.

We can control the characters randomness too, by banning characters with skills that have random outcomes if you're going to put it that way. How about we just ban everything and everyone has to play MK on FD, that way it'll be pure skill and not random factor.

Brawl is mostly about knowledge e.g. Char MU, Stage knowledge etc. If you know the stage you can most likely avoid it, unless the opponent affects your outcome by hitting you into it or something. Which you probably deserved.

Remastered

Smash Lord
You missed what I was getting at with IC's Hotdog. The camping on platforms and spacing was exactly my point.

I dare you to dodge a stage glitch.

I wouldn't mind just playing the same character and having it completely based on skill, but be realistic. If I had meant that, I wouldn't be discussing my opinion, nor would I agree with having a few different stages. Exaggeration of the fact is hardly a valid counter argument.

I like your use of most likely too :)

Hotdog

Smash Lord
It's not really a restriction then, more of a disadvantage.

Name a couple of stage glitches, game changing or not.

Well that's how your arguement is coming across, you're comparing random stage actions with random character actions. So why not treat chars the same as stages?

Yes, most likely cause there are some chances of you not being able to avoid it, due to being in a bad position or opponent influence.

Remastered

Smash Lord
No, not being able to do something the way you want to do it is a restriction.

I have already explained some glitch examples in previous posts.

The topic is of stage discussion. It's obvious to think that you wouldn't ban an entire cast of characters to play a game. Again it's unrealistic and I didn't think I needed to make it clear that this wasn't the intention of the points made.

Try explaining to the snake user that they were in a bad position when he went to uptilt and died in the previous post.

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
character match ups are more important than stages.
but some stages can give the other person 2 much of an advantage.
options:
1- get better
2- choose a character with a better match up on that stage and in general
3- ban the stage.. cant ban all the ones you dont like tho lol

as for rainbow cruise. i call planking and circle camping shenanigns.

Testikills

Smash Journeyman
Least you get to pick what stage you want an MK to take you too, I use my ban on lylat everytime due to the fact I can't see on that stage and I am easier to beat than usual on it

Played a snake who uptilted a spike and because it appeared as he did it they lost a stock.
Snakes up tilt is 38 frames. Spike takes roughly 2 seconds (120 frames) to appear which means it was the snakes fault for u-tilting as the spike appeared

Hotdog

Smash Lord
It's not a restriction, IC's are allowed to grab, it's just really hard to if the other player knows how to avoid it so it's an advantage in the opponents favour, but one mistake and you have the grab. It'd only be a restriction if IC's weren't allowed to grab at all or something is completly shutting him down. RULES!

Arrow is right, character MU is probably the biggest factor. Try playing IC's vs Ganon on any stage (probably minus pirate ship lololololol(only if the IC's are dumb and chase into the water)) It's going to be friggin hard for Ganon no matter which stage.

Just pick up MK then all your stage worries are gone!

J-Birds

Smash Lord
Pretty sure what you do is
Play first match on neutral main to main -win
Play MK 2nd match so they cant cp you
if you win - grats
if you lose - cp them (they may go mk omg what do)

also cping name tags is legit as is shirtlessness

Popdart

Smash Cadet
You live Northside Pantsmann?? How did I not know this? I'd be up for some smash sometime if you're interested. I'm just at Bald Hills, whereabouts are you?

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
curry. she's asian.

rofl. ben you should come too, and if this looks like a goer i'll see if josh is up for anything since rob's always *****ing about how josh doesn't turn up to anything.

i doubt i could host much more than that though =\ maybe if i can get hugh involved i could have a big meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom