• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prophet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
When the hell did you come back, Fliptroopa?

Anyway, aside from his similarly functioning specials and alike looking (believed-to-be) foward-smash, all of Lucas' moves are completely unique and, aside from the stick attack, all of Lucas' animations shown so far are unique to him. Since we've seen maybe half of Lucas' full moveset, I'd say Ness does have quite a bit of a moveset to use of his own.
I started skimming SWF for leaks, and some of these arguments just boil the blood so much I had to join in to rattle some skulls :laugh: Nice to know that a year later people still recall me.

Lucas's Specials are different enough, but I still think it's silly to have both be playable. You know that's going to confuse the hell out of a LOT of people, esp. more casual gamers.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I started skimming SWF for leaks, and some of these arguments just boil the blood so much I had to join in to rattle some skulls :laugh: Nice to know that a year later people still recall me.

Lucas's Specials are different enough, but I still think it's silly to have both be playable. You know that's going to confuse the hell out of a LOT of people, esp. more casual gamers.
Of course we do! Good to see you back. :bigthumbu

I agree with you about the Ness-Lucas thing, though. Lucas is similar enough that Ness is rendered superfluous. (All the more reason to have the Masked Boy instead! ;))

Also, in terms of Sakurai's desire to replace Ness in Melee, I elaborated a little bit on the Wiki. Check this link for details.

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord

I didn't know casual gamers confused characters with similar movesets :dizzy:

Devastlian

Smash Lord

Eh...they seem around as, if not more, different than Mario and Luigi or Ryu and Ken, so I don't think that's really much of an issue.

Saor Gael

Smash Apprentice
I have a prophecy! O_O I found a leak in my bathtub!!!111

COOKIE MONSTER IS IN BRAWL!!!!11

But is he a boss or playable or an AT? :O

Mr. M

Smash Journeyman
Pensacola, FL Wargh! King Dedede, how dare you be
Sakurai even said he wanted to REPLACE NESS WITH LUCAS IN MELEE.
Yeah...about that...

It'd be kind of hard to add someone in the game who didn't exist at the time. :/

Oh and, god did come down from heaven carrying specificly the Brawl roster list, and he did forth command the poor shephard, "Go forth to fellow non-Smashers, and do convert them them with Sonic is in Brawl." -Sakurai 13:37 (lol prophet)

Zek

Smash Ace
Eh...they seem around as, if not more, different than Mario and Luigi or Ryu and Ken, so I don't think that's really much of an issue.
Luigi had a totally unique B move in Melee. He'll no doubt have two in Brawl. Lucas has every single one of Ness' specials, with some small tweaks to each. Lucas wouldn't technically be a clone character because he has a new set of attacks, but if they were planning on keeping Ness in the game it just doesn't make any sense that they would copy all his B moves over to Lucas. Unlike Mario and Luigi, Ness and Lucas are two completely separate characters from different games. Also, there's the fact that in every single Lucas character update, Sakurai makes some incriminating comments about Ness. "Is it possible he can surpass even Ness?!" "There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now, and Lucas is very similar." The implication here is pretty clear, and nowhere else in the site has a playable character ever been mentioned before being revealed. Everything Sakurai has said just screams "This is Lucas, Ness' replacement!"

I don't deny that it's possible for Ness to return, but it would be really weird after all this, and giving him a whole new moveset as some have suggested would just be bizarre(especially after the comparisons to Ness' moves in the Lucas specials update).

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Yeah...about that...

It'd be kind of hard to add someone in the game who didn't exist at the time. :/

While MOTHER 3 was not finally released until 2006, it had been in the works under the guise of EarthBound 64 since 1996 until its (temporary) cancellation in 2000, only to rise from the ashes (allusion!) on the GBA again in 2003. In looking at screens and video clips of EarthBound 64, however, one will easily notice that very little was lost in translation from EB64 to M3. So while Lucas was not in a game at the time, he was very much alive and well. Melee's timing just didn't coincide with M3's, that's all. ;)

Mario77

Smash Apprentice
If thats true, he is probably right... I really wouldnt be surprised if he was right, I mean, there ARE people out there that know everything about Brawl, and I'm sure at least SOME info was leaked...

I JUST AM MAD THAT EVERYONE KEEPS SAYIN MEWTWO IS REPLACED WITH LUCARIO, MEWTWO IS INFINITELY MORE COOLER THAN LUCARIO, AND LUCARIO SUCKS IMO IN THE ACTUAL POKEMON GAME...(Hes too slow compared to the other Pokemon in his teir)

Dang it Mewtwo is SO COOL, IF HE DIDNT SUCK SO HARD IN MELEE HE WOULD STILL BE IN DANG IT

Luigi player

Smash Master
^take a chill pill.

Maybe Lucario is currently more popular than Mewtwo. That's it.
I'm not sure about that. Mewtwo is still liked by more people than Lucario, it's just that Lucario is newer and had the newest movie so he's more talked about than Mewtwo, but most people still prefer Mewtwo over Lucario.

Joka

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure about that. Mewtwo is still liked by more people than Lucario, it's just that Lucario is newer and had the newest movie so he's more talked about than Mewtwo, but most people still prefer Mewtwo over Lucario.
Everyone thought Lucario was a legendary. That's what made him famous.

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
I must admit, meeting Mewtwo in Red/Blue at the very end of the game, Masterball in holster, still gives him a place in my heart no other Pokemon can.

I've never seen or played one of the games with Lucario in them however he seems pretty cool and I love the possibilities of his moves. So I wouldn't hate to see him, I hope Mewtwo returns though. Hopefully He'll be unerfed, I mean he seemed way too light in melee for one thing.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Mewtwo is still the most well known and popular legendary, the posterboy of Legendarys. I think Mewtwo should be catchable in every Pokemon game, but Lucario has his place too. He's the most recognizable of the new Pokemon. I honestly don't think he will replace Mewtwo, but he seems just too popular to be relegated to mere Pokeball status.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
Man that moderator is going to feel really dumb in a couple of weeks if all of that info is true.

JJJ.Brawler

Smash Ace
Man that moderator is going to feel really dumb in a couple of weeks if all of that info is true.
Lol.

Hmm, about Lucario replacing Mewtwo - I'm not sure. I mean, a lot of people like Lucario, and a lot of people like Mewtwo..

My final guess is that Mewtwo returns and Lucario will be a newcomer aswell.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The Dragoon doesn't have any reticule or super attack in KAR, it is a vehicle with great stats and can fly for a long time in the game. At least from what I gather.
Yeah, thats it. Its **** fun to fly, but it doesnt have a super attack.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If thats true, he is probably right... I really wouldnt be surprised if he was right, I mean, there ARE people out there that know everything about Brawl, and I'm sure at least SOME info was leaked...

I JUST AM MAD THAT EVERYONE KEEPS SAYIN MEWTWO IS REPLACED WITH LUCARIO, MEWTWO IS INFINITELY MORE COOLER THAN LUCARIO, AND LUCARIO SUCKS IMO IN THE ACTUAL POKEMON GAME...(Hes too slow compared to the other Pokemon in his teir)

Dang it Mewtwo is SO COOL, IF HE DIDNT SUCK SO HARD IN MELEE HE WOULD STILL BE IN DANG IT
Chill dude. Not everything this guy says will come true, honestly. Ness is out, not because of "up until now" but because sakurai has been wanting to replace him with Lucas since melee.

Wolf..ehhh maybe a boss.

Im sure Lucario will be playable, but I get the feeling Mewtwo wil come back too, dont worry about that.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Mewtwo had his perks in Melee. His throws and Fair were godly, and his Smashes were fun. They just tried to balance him by making him floaty and slow, and it ended up being a bit much. Nothing another go around can't fix. Dropping Mewtwo is kind've pointless if the reasoning is "well, he sucked in Melee." Ice Climbers "sucked in Melee," and they came back. What's there to be said about that? So clearly there's another reason Mewtwo was axed if he was.

That being said, Lucario has the best potential for playable Pokemon out of any of 'em. His moves translate well to a Smash moveset, he's fairly significant to the franchise as a popular and well-liked Pokemon, and despite not being legendary he holds his own in-game as a one-off and "you can do ANYTHING with this guy" kind of Pokemon. The thing isn't that fast with its in-game stats, but his offensive stats are pretty cool. And it learns freaking Aura Sphere. So few Pokemon get such an amazing move, and the ones that do are either Togekiss or Legendaries. Even if Lucario isn't a LEGIT legendary, he might as well be.

With all that, I was skimming 2channel last night (posted about it in the Geno thread) and saw that there were quite a few posts hoping that Sakurai dropped Mewtwo. I was, honestly, stunned. But apparently, and I'm not lying, "Pichu is great! Mewtwo is dumb!" was a popular cry over at their boards. Oh those wacky Japanese... >.>

NOTE: 2channel is a Japanese forum that talks about any and everything, including Smash.

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
Wow, that really is surprising! Still I think Lucario shows way more potential due to the fact he has a larger movepool in the games.

Joka

Smash Journeyman
Not that it matters, but I came across a list of Third Party mentionables for Brawl on a Spanish site.

Sonic (SEGA)-(Sonic The Hedgehog)-(54 o más)-(5)/(5)
Megaman (Capcom)-(Megaman/Rockman)-(27 o más)-(4)/(5)
Bomberman (Hudson Soft)-(Bomberman)-(22 o más)-(5)/(5)
Knuckles (SEGA)-(Sonic the Hedgehog 3)-(13 o más)-(3)/(4)
Goemon (Konami)-(Ganbare Goemon)-(28 o más)-(4)/(4)
Pentarou (Konami)-(Antarctic Adventure )-(17 apariciones)-(3)/(3)
Tails (SEGA)-(Sonic the Hedgehog 2 )-(14 o más)-(3)/(3)
Pac-Man (Namco)-(Pac-Man)-(27 o más sin piratas y secuelas a móvil)-(4)/(4)
Klonoa (Namco)-(Klonoa: Door to Phantomile)-(7 apariciones)-(3)/(2)
Ryu (Capcom)-(Street Fighter)-(27 o más)-(4)/(4)
Morrigan (Capcom)-(Darkstalkers)(17 apariciones)-(2)/(4)
Arthur the knight (Capcom)-(Ghosts ‘n Goblins)-(8 apariciones)-(2)/(3)
Chun-Li (Capcom)-(Street Fighter II)-(25 o más)-(3)/(4)
Cloud Strife (Square-Enix)-(7 apariciones)-(3)/(4)
X (Capcom)-(Megaman X)-(18 apariciones)-(3)/(4)
Zero (Capcom)-(Megaman X)-(19 apariciones)-(3)/(4)

JoseOle92

Smash Apprentice
star fox reps

just because it says wolf is in doesn't mean hes a playable character. it may just mean hes an AT or something. SO Star Fox would still have 3 reps: Fox, Falco, and Krystal and Wolf would still be "in".

Noa.

Smash Master
You know, maybe what Chaos Zero means by Lucario taking Mewtwo's place is that Lucario takes Mewtwo place as a secret unlockable. Mewtwo was known for being the "secret" unlockable character, because it was a very obscure way to unlock someone. So in brawl, if this guy is right, Lucario is the tricky one to unlock.
Of course, this may be totally wrong, and this guy is just a lie. Just throwing it out there.

Mr. M

Smash Journeyman
Pensacola, FL Wargh! King Dedede, how dare you be

While MOTHER 3 was not finally released until 2006, it had been in the works under the guise of EarthBound 64 since 1996 until its (temporary) cancellation in 2000, only to rise from the ashes (allusion!) on the GBA again in 2003. In looking at screens and video clips of EarthBound 64, however, one will easily notice that very little was lost in translation from EB64 to M3. So while Lucas was not in a game at the time, he was very much alive and well. Melee's timing just didn't coincide with M3's, that's all. ;)

I knew that was coming, but think: He still didn't "exist" at the time. They didn't know if he was still going to be the main character. The most they saw was Flint. If anyone, FLINT would've been the one in. :/ But Sakurai could've pulled some strings to get the rights to add him, yes, I'm just sayin', it was REALLY unlikely.

Another Starmen nut?

Oh and, nice trump card, too bad it FAILED. :p

Puffs

Smash Ace
No, Lucario has much more potential and has many more options. Actually play pokemon.
Both have plenty of potential, which is why it'd be great if both were in, which is definitely possible. But it makes no sense for a completely different character to "replace" another.

Is Bowser Jr. replacing Dr. Mario?

Kooichi

Smash Journeyman
What people seem to not agree on is

Ness returning

Ness can easily return as a clone. He might be able to have his own moveset but it seems doubtful. But nonetheless, whats wrong with Ness comng back as a clone. The clones from Melee were really different from their counterparts. Players that use clones should agree with me. And besides, it'd be good fanservice and bring joy to many Ness fans.

Also his standard moves are completely different then Lucas's so that'd make him even less clone than Ganondorf was to Captain Falcon. Actually when you think about, he'd be as clonish as Luigi! So Ness returning is not all that surprsing. After all, he's one of the orignal 12. Even if he was supposed to be replaced long ago. Too late now XD

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
you can't really conclude anything from the eforall demo. that demo was just a taste for the game. they could change anything they want from this 3 month period. and add more alternate coustumes. but most reasonable thought is that lucas will have a ness alt coustume. because wario got his own alt coustume and color set. why can't any of the other characters have it. and wolf and krystal could be true. why would they make zelda turn into sheik wouldn't she turn into her twilight self. i personally assume that sheik will be her own char. who knows ?>anything can happen right now. we have no idea what the roster set will be like and we will just have to wait till japanese release to leak the roster. but wouldn't you want to have the anticipation of unlocking each char.... well thats only my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom