• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project X Zone 2: Brave New World

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
I played it fully today when I had some down time. Again, not cutscenes or story, it just fires me into it.
Took pics with an iPhone. Nothing too special. Some funny banter with Ulala and the Yakuza guys.

I'll try to go to the panel they're having tomorrow. Depends on what I'm doing tonight. Panel's at 10 in the morning. I'm going partying tonight so I might not want to get up early.

If you're curious here's who was playable. These teams were pre-made. Couldn't change them.

Chun Li & Xiaoyu with June assist
Dante and Vergil with Phoenix Wright assist
Yuri and Flynn with Valkyrie assist
Kite and I forgot his name with Aty assist
Yakuza dudes with Ulala assist
Nana and Ciel with Alisa assist
Strider and Hotsuma with Captain Commando assist
Sakura and Gemini with Hibana assist
Zephyr and Vash with Leanne assist

I think that was it.

Last edited:

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I'm glad the Resonance of Fate trio's back, but even though it's not a big deal, I kind of think I'd liked it to have stayed Zephyr/Leanne.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I just noticed how Ogami's ultimate move (forgot the exact name, the one you trigger by pressing Y) in one of the trailers for this game features the same attack as the one seen in the Sakura Taisen 3 opening (the halberd spin with the exact same cuts during motion), as well as Erica Fontaine's whip lash.

Respectively at 0:35 and 0:47 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpRleOldM6g

So yeah, they really do know their stuff.

Speaking of the ST crew, I am going to miss Rambling Wheel and Sacre de Lumière.

Last edited:

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Vashyron's ultimate move is also really faithful to the opening of Resonance of Fate. The team developing the game makes a perfect job remaning faithful to each series as shown with its research. That's why the series is so good thanks to its fanservice.

Now if only the gameplay and story could improve somehow...

Twewy

Smash Lord
Vashyron's ultimate move is also really faithful to the opening of Resonance of Fate. The team developing the game makes a perfect job remaning faithful to each series as shown with its research. That's why the series is so good thanks to its fanservice.

Now if only the gameplay and story could improve somehow...
Your avatar. I'm liking it.

Speaking of Frank West, I still find it ironic this game is aimed more towards the West and Frank still isn't confirmed.

EDIT: Even better, I remember him being one of the first teased characters on the PxZ teaser site. And that was back when it was Japan only.

Last edited:

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
Your avatar. I'm liking it.

Speaking of Frank West, I still find it ironic this game is aimed more towards the West and Frank still isn't confirmed.

EDIT: Even better, I remember him being one of the first teased characters on the PxZ teaser site. And that was back when it was Japan only.

I thought this is the final roster. Excluding the boss characters that will become solos.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I thought this is the final roster. Excluding the boss characters that will become solos.
I'm pretty sure someone says the intro cuts out at places. At least I remember reading it somewhere.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure someone says the intro cuts out at places. At least I remember reading it somewhere.
I'm only saying it because we get to see the big scene in the intro that has them all standing and posing. Plus I think the Japanese 14 min trailer is called "Roster roll call" or something similar.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I just noticed how Ogami's ultimate move (forgot the exact name, the one you trigger by pressing Y) in one of the trailers for this game features the same attack as the one seen in the Sakura Taisen 3 opening (the halberd spin with the exact same cuts during motion), as well as Erica Fontaine's whip lash.

Respectively at 0:35 and 0:47 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpRleOldM6g

So yeah, they really do know their stuff.
They totes do mates. :p

Also during Ogami being about to cut X down on his opponent , he does "Kaitou Ranma" in the way it was executed in Sakura Wars-anime. I LOVE YOU DEVELOPERS. :4lemmy:

That was like one of my most fave scenes in the anime - honestly. This very damn part in the anime had me love Ogami with his hotblooded player surrogate kickassery.

And to sorta clarify, this merely being his starter special attack, and in the games it only did this thunder crashing down on the opponent - so it's so damn sweet how they implemented one of his most best attacking moments (and maybe a sole one) from his otherwise minor character role in the anime. I mean, for how poorly he was implemented anyway(though like I said, player surrogate dude. At least he got more individual and explored characterization in the manga)

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Little off topic, but I really like that Valkyrie image in your signature. I love Valkyrie.
Hehheh! Me too, in quite spades. Credit goes to Ahruon/AbyssWolf.

EDIT:

Full opening at Nico Video here.

Kinda expected it by this point, but yeah. No Sanger, Arthur, Frank, Hsien-Ko, Kurt, etc coming back for this one. Gonna miss them quite, but I hope they'll be thought again if they wanna do some spinoff fighter title or something.

Aside from that, the OP's... not bad. Just nothing too mindblowing for me.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
No Hsien-Ko = No buy
Also is Natsu really the only Soulcalibur rep?
Seems like it. :ohwell:

I personally didn't hold my breath for Hsien-Ko since they didn't show anyone else after Felicia. Gonna miss her and other fellas though. But hey, at least I have Sakura Wars + Chrom&Lucy + Valkyrie + AA-dudes still in. Also Resonance of Fate.

But yeah, kinda lame.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I forgot about Chrom and Lucina. I'd be excited for that but, I hate the fact Lucina has the Bride costume at one point.
She got to go with the "code". Like another particular princess not related to waifu-based fanservice.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Some details:

• Preorder Bonus won't include Original Game Soundtrack and the Adventure of Valkyrie PSX (With Xiaomu-DLC):

• Half sales compared to PxZ1's sales during first week:

Media Create

2 [3DS] Project X Zone 2 (Bandai Namco, 11/12/15) – 40,945 (New)

Famitsu

2 [3DS] Project X Zone 2 (Bandai Namco, 11/12/15) – 43,715 (New)

The first game's first week in comparison.

2012-10-08 3 93,756 (Famitsu)

Well, this might be lastwe ever see of this games - not that anyone would want to remember them fondly by this point if going by the core audience. Great going MonoSoft + Bamco. :dizzy:

Last edited:

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Some details:

• Preorder Bonus won't include Original Game Soundtrack and the Adventure of Valkyrie PSX (With Xiaomu-DLC):

• Half sales compared to PxZ1's sales during first week:

Well, this might be lastwe ever see of this games - not that anyone would want to remember them fondly by this point if going by the core audience. Great going MonoSoft + Bamco. :dizzy:
Ironically now the game's fate is once again at hands of America and Europe to boost those sale. We'll see how well it does.

I still don't understand why there's no Frank West

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Ironically now the game's fate is once again at hands of America and Europe to boost those sale. We'll see how well it does.
Depends on how the game will fare with the stuff it has ATM.

Some fellas buying the game in Japan are criticizing how drastically easier (and thus possibly more mundane) it is compared to the last game due the fact that enemies die faster, there's less of them, you can stack some buffs from skills together, there's the shop, etc.

I dunno what to feel entirely about this, the closest would be that difficulty curves aren't easy to pull off, honestly - but even then, the makers still listened to the fan feedback, which is commendable.

I still don't understand why there's no Frank West
IDK either, honestly. Especially when you consider these characters which are for most part from Japan-only games and the team wanted us to become new fans (despite many other old fans demanding outersea releases getting denied like Mother 3's situation.)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Is the story at least any better than the first game's story?
I didn't wanna spoil too much, but if going what the demo had shown - the chapters seem more "episodic" an this time set up their story based on the characters crossed over. For example:

Heihachi wanted to hire Phoenix Wright to be his lawyer since he was framed for causing a Biohazard attack (Seems to explain Jill&Chris in earlier chapters).

Also it was Shadaloo that framed him and they hired B.B.Hood to kill him before they can go to court. And Morrigan basically used magic on Maya's Magatama so they can fight.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
*HARD BUMP*

So the game got released yesterday in Europe, and so far there's been 6 reviews with Metacritic score being 76.
Do those reviews compare it to the first game?

Because from what I can see in the demo they've pretty much solved almost every complaint lodged at the first one's gameplay. Battles taking too long? Rebalanced enemy health. (Though can't confirm if the amount of enemies still gets overwhelming). Lack of strategy? Vandal Hearts-style positional advantage, charged attacks encouraging smart use (and said attacks having real purpose as either dedicated damage or status moves instead of just a part of a full chain), SP that must be weighed in whether to use them for skills or defending, enemy specials (not multi-attacks) can now be properly responded to thus actually giving incentive to keep teammates separate when seeking to minimize damage taken, the overhauled Cross Hit etc.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Do those reviews compare it to the first game?

Because from what I can see in the demo they've pretty much solved almost every complaint lodged at the first one's gameplay. Battles taking too long? Rebalanced enemy health. (Though can't confirm if the amount of enemies still gets overwhelming). Lack of strategy? Vandal Hearts-style positional advantage, charged attacks encouraging smart use (and said attacks having real purpose as either dedicated damage or status moves instead of just a part of a full chain), SP that must be weighed in whether to use them for skills or defending, enemy specials (not multi-attacks) can now be properly responded to thus actually giving incentive to keep teammates separate when seeking to minimize damage taken, the overhauled Cross Hit etc.
While they don't go as indepth like you did with these improvements, most reviews have acknowledged and praised the changes, making the game essentially better in every way to the last one, even past having still rather repetitive gameplay if played in long spades.

Here's list to the reviews ATM:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/146043-project-x-zone-2/critic

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Twewy

Smash Lord
Man, I hate being broke. At least I have the superior SRPG Jagged Alliance 2 to hold off my desire to see a roster that would be complete with Frank West.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
I bought it today.

And golly, I am enjoying it very much so. I really do enjoy Reiji and Xiaomu characters. I've played every game they've been part of, and it's great to see they get a little bit ore story. It's nothing that deserves a standing ovation, but it's good shlock an interested fan like me was hoping for. Love lots of the call-backs to Namco X Capcom.

I just beat the prologue chapters, but prologue 5 in particular made my heart go crazy. I knew Chrom, Lucina, Tiki and Valkyrie were all in, but my freaking god. Seeing Tiki and Valkyrie converse made me grin. Then Tiki explicitly mentions Ogma and Navarre had my heart skip a beat. And then Tiki says "Val-Val." Just like when she would refer to Marth as "Mar-Mar." That put me on cloud 9.

Oh, and I'm also liking the gameplay too. The important part...

I like the new mechanics and all that jazz. Have heard that the game is easier than before, which makes me worry. I'm too early in the game to evaluate that.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Well, I've heard that they've drastically rebalanced the enemies and their numbers, making battles a lot quicker but not necessarily much easier. I'll just have to find out when I buy it.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think ~ Valkyrie ~ ~ Valkyrie ~ mentioned there being a hard mode for beating the game once if you have demo completion, whose difficulty is equivalent to playing through the demo ten times.

Mechanics-wise, things that make it easier are the ability to stack buffs and respond to enemy specials. On the other hand, units having their own SP that only regenerates a percentage per turn forces you to carefully consider whether to conserve it for responses or use it for skills, combined with having to watch out for back/side attacks and the limited amount of auto-skills units can use, it definitely makes the units less of one-man armies than before.

Top Bottom