• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
I prefer the longer range when grounded to the old angled PKF. I wish it maybe had a bit less lag though, it already takes a very long time to come out compared to other projectiles. Still it's semi useful when they are all the way across the stage from you and you want to poke at them a bit. Angled PKF is pointless when you already have utilt as an anti-air, it's too slow and has very little reward if you do manage to hit with it.

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
I wish R.O.B. could recharge a gyro he's holding with down B. Remove the article from his hand/from existence and just act like he's charging a fresh one.
How can he fire an uncharged one, then. this will mean that he can only fire when it's fully charged, wouldn't it?

OmegaMuffin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OmegaMuffin498
There are two birds: A penguin and a falcon. Which one can fly?

The correct answer is the penguin

#BecauseProjectMelee

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
Not saying I support noirscythe's idea of making it just grab like in Brawl, but wouldn't it be entirely possible to have grounded up-B be able to grab backwards on the way down without letting the aerial version do it?

The only changes I think Ike could use are 1.) A slower to fully charge, less instant movement, but faster to start and act out of side B. Less full-stage control, more instant mobility to look for baits and punishes, and the same "Fully charged look the **** out"-ness. Just as threatening and scary, without the half-second nearly instant full-stage movement. And B I mean 2.) have nair hit sooner, or, if speeding the move up that much makes the swing look unnatural, let him kick out first before swinging his sword around.

I'd be fine with making his sword swings genuinely just as bad as Roy's if he just had the mobility and threat of a fast nair to shove opponents off.

I'd be fine with it even if his sword wasn't being nerftweaked actually.
I fully agree with the side B tweak + all aether ledge grab. :v

A side B that works like this would actually bring back / facilitate some of his small spacing options from Brawl that were killed when the dash dance was extended.

I don't know if it's necessary to redesign his nair though, I haven't played the game enough.

So really, what is the main opposition against the aether stuff? It would tip Ike into the realm of "too good" again?

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
I fully agree with the side B tweak + all aether ledge grab. :v

A side B that works like this would actually bring back / facilitate some of his small spacing options from Brawl that were killed when the dash dance was extended.

I don't know if it's necessary to redesign his nair though, I haven't played the game enough.

So really, what is the main opposition against the aether stuff? It would tip Ike into the realm of "too good" again?
It'd make his recovery a ***** and a half to punish, since he'd sweetspot right onto the ledge. (Unless that's not what you meant.)

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Question, what exactly happens when ZSS lands an uncharged paralyzer shot?

It looks like the vBrawl stun animation is still there but there's just no stun, but I'm not sure. It's a little jarring. Is it just hitstun and some damage?

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Sethlon hosted a 2.5 preview build tournament at Bowser's Revenge 5.
No money was involved, and everything is subject to change.

Some pretty cool matches in there. Here's the playlist. Enjoy!

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
So did you guys nerf Ness' dash grab range, or was that simply a animation change?(a nice looking one btw)

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
The rewards it was given in Brawl weren't too big either. Its effect was in its integrated cumulative use. It seems like it's even more situational in PM than it was in Brawl too given the speed and gravity of the game.
IIRC, this is what kept DDD:Ike from being a +2 in vBrawl because the Aether spike was obnoxiously consistent and pretty much let Ike edgeguard DDD as well as vice versa unless DDD recovered ridiculously high. In P:M, where recovering is much weaker, this would be ridiculous when added on to all the other things that Ike can already do when edgeguarding. It's not even that hard to set up.

I messed with the QD a little bit, but didn't have good setups with it. I think it's an interesting mechanic, but doesn't quite suffice for the potential multidimensionality I'd prefer in the character.
Well, I don't know what you'd "prefer", but fact that one can JC the QD already adds a ton of versatility and flexibility to the character. The fact that one can WJ out of it adds even more. The fact that one can hit something with it while recovering and still be able to upB is icing on the cake.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Uhhh, what spacing options were "killed" when the DD was extended? If you asked me, I'd say that the return of Melee DDs made Ike's spacing options even more potent. His DA and QD also severely mess up other chars' DD spacing.

And you're complaining about Aether? :c

I believe Falco is actually based on the Vietnamese Pheasant:

[COLLAPSE="Vietnamese Pheasant"]
[/COLLAPSE]
Interesting I was always under the impression he was an Australian Swamp Hen. [COLLAPSE="Australian Swamp Hen"]
[/COLLAPSE]
Lolz! We just talked about this on Smashmods! :p I, for one, think that Falco is still designed after a falcon.
[COLLAPSE="Falco falcons :3"]

[/COLLAPSE]

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
It'd make his recovery a ***** and a half to punish, since he'd sweetspot right onto the ledge. (Unless that's not what you meant.)
Well, he wouldn't sweetspot when going UP (I guess I wasn't specific enough) . It barely adds anything he didn't have when going down for recovery, except that he can now do it backwards and with less protection towards the ledge. It could be a problem if you're used to letting Ike get really close to the ledge, jumping over the aether and hitting him the back I guess?

IIRC, this is what kept DDD:Ike from being a +2 in vBrawl because the Aether spike was obnoxiously consistent and pretty much let Ike edgeguard DDD as well as vice versa unless DDD recovered ridiculously high. In P:M, where recovering is much weaker, this would be ridiculous when added on to all the other things that Ike can already do when edgeguarding. It's not even that hard to set up.
When recovery was made much weaker, edgeguarding was made universally stronger. The game was generally made faster, and recovering characters are getting back to the ledge faster, and they're less floaty. Aether has much more limited viable windows of utility. High recovery is quite rare in Melee.

Other similar dropping B moves, like Bowser's down B come out faster; grounded Ike Up B into ledge is less viable. Ike has to drop the ledge and up B. At sweetspot, Ike can already edgeguard like in Brawl, and that's arguably it's more useful spot against the majority of the cast, although due to the generally increased game speed it's more situational than it was in Brawl, it may not be that hard to set up, but what is?

My thoughts went along the lines: the Up B Aether would only increase the utility of the move at somewhat larger heights. At very large heights, the opponent can already DI into the stage and techroll too.

So my argument is that the buff is not too significant, especially compared to already existent edgeguarding techniques across the cast.

You may be right though, and maybe doing ledge drop -> reverse aether and committing to the stage instead of the ledge may be a viable alternative, although it removes a couple of options and setups.

How extensively were this edgeguarding options tested when the sweetspot was available at all heights?

Uhhh, what spacing options were "killed" when the DD was extended? If you asked me, I'd say that the return of Melee DDs made Ike's spacing options even more potent. His DA and QD also severely mess up other chars' DD spacing.
No no no, I agree. DD has definitely improved Ike's spacing by a lot. Ike is overall a better character. The small spacing options that were "killed" and by that I mean they're still possible just much harder. It's all stuff you can do out of a pivot that doing out of QD would probably save me many instances of accidentally doing DA and making me look stupid. lol

I'm presuming that the shorter QD would still allow for faster displacement too. The way that Ike virtually teleports across the stage into your face in a split second with the present form of QD kind of seems like a game detractor for some.

And you're complaining about Aether? :c
NOT REALLY COMPLAINING, BUT IT'S JUST SOMETHING THAT I THINK WOULD IMPROVE THE GAME. I MEAN, THE THING I'M COMPLAINING FOR ISN'T EVEN IN THE GAME, COME ON. I JUST WANT YOUR HONEST CONVINCING FEEDBACK AND REASONING.

Raypatronics

Smash Rookie
It better spike. Livin' up to the divekick family name.
What's a divekick?
What's a ghneko and why would i see him play someone good?
Zss looks great
Squirtle looks annoying
Ivy looks... interesting

Can't wait for the server crash on the 28th
2.5 > God

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7

iLink

Smash Champion
You just jump as you are about to release the spin dash.

EDIT: Holy crap Ness' PK flash still explodes if you hit. Does it always hit Ness too if it blows up near him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom