• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
Just because someone is on the top of the tierlist doesn't mean they are some kind of godless killing machine. Comparing meta-knights matchup spread to fox or falcos makes the latter two look like garbage "top" tiers. I really just can't understand why anyone would want to make the two most difficult to play characters less rewarding. Especially when they had legitimate competition from the rest of the cast even at top level play. With the buffs and specific anti-spacie tools that just about every character in PM has been loaded up with (don't much care for specific anti-spacie stuff I always thought just making the rest of the cast better at what they do would suffice) a nerf just seems silly. Considering spacie weaknesses were already primarily inherent to the character itself rather than any particular opponent. Really the best way to deal with spacies is learn how to play against them.

:phone:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I really just can't understand why anyone would want to make the two most difficult to play characters less rewarding. Especially when they had legitimate competition from the rest of the cast even at top level play.
Since when was Falco one of the hardest characters to use?

Also, I'm not sure if you're implying otherwise, but, need for technical skill doesn't make a character inherently difficult to play efficiently. They have many unique tools that make gameplay look very different from fighting the rest of the cast, and some of them arguably reduce depth and put a tight bottleneck on realistic options.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
Since when was Falco one of the hardest characters to use?

Also, I'm not sure if you're implying otherwise, but, need for technical skill doesn't make a character inherently difficult to play efficiently. They have many unique tools that make gameplay look very different from fighting the rest of the cast, and some of them arguably reduce depth.
Honestly I agree about Falco, I think he is the best human-ly playable character in smash. Technicality is a barrier, though I'm certainly not saying that the risk-reward for playing a technical character isn't skewed. But I personally feel that taking the path of most resistance should be rewarding in some way, especially when matchups against spacie players, in my opinion, heavily rely on matchup knowledge. Its kind of cool to have two characters who bend or break the rules a little and who can have some of the same rules broken and used against them. They are combo-chain-anything-grab bait, really they are weak to being hit or making mistakes (baited, forced, or otherwise) and I think that is a brilliant weakness and a fine trade for above-average option coverage, though one that shouldn't have too many instances. And I suppose you could argue they reduce depth, however I think they add far more than they take away. Also, unless my memory fails me, I don't see a pattern of spacie domination in PM tournaments and certainly nothing that would merit a nerf.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
Okay, perhaps I worded my statements poorly, but this is exactly the conversation I wanted to strike up by bringing my points up. ^_^

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Balance and spacie discussions happen so often in this thread you just have to wait a day or two and jump into one when it happens.

There is really nothing new that can be said on the subject until 2.5 drops.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Just to clarify, my beef was just with how the "melee pantheon" is being kept in place while the general balance goal seems to be just under it.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Just to clarify, my beef was just with how the "melee pantheon" is being kept in place while the general balance goal seems to be just under it.

Pit and Peach got quite a few nice additions that bring them to just about Fox and Falco's level. Mario to a lesser extent, and Sheik is still Sheik- just, without the threatening part.

Peachpit2016

JesusSmashesPuffs

Smash Cadet
From what I remember of what Cmart told me yesterday:
- 2 wall jumps, not replenished by ledge grabbing
- Blue flame on Eruption, smaller hitbox, and superarmor happens later in the move
- Tipper system: more damage/knockback near the hilt of his moves, but also more hitlag. Opposite near the tip.
- Less disjoint on Aether
- Quickdraw goes less distance when uncharged and cannot be jumped out of on the first 3 (I think) frames
-If you hit with nair when his sword is below him, the opponent is knocked horizontally, not vertically.

If any of this is wrong/private, please let me know so I can edit/remove with my apologies.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
lol well Im sure seeing those characters next to your name.
but you cant be so selfish. you have to realize fox and falco are...a step above the rest. they can still retain their heavy pressure games, just toned down a little bit. noones saying to neuter them, just to bring them down from S to A lol.

jalued

Smash Lord
but you cant be so selfish. you have to realize fox and falco are...a step above the rest. they can still retain their heavy pressure games, just toned down a little bit. noones saying to neuter them, just to bring them down from S to A lol.
the only real changes I would consider are making fox's upB PAL distance and possibly increasing the end lag of fox/falco's upB

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
the only real changes I would consider are making fox's upB PAL distance and possibly increasing the end lag of fox/falco's upB
Like Stingers said, we're not expecting Fox/Falco to be neutered, just brought back to even with the rest of the cast. Nor are we expecting it to be done now, or any time soon. Once the entire cast is done and the metagame solidifies, then look into it.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
- Blue flame on Eruption, smaller hitbox, and superarmor happens later in the move
- Tipper system: more damage/knockback near the hilt of his moves, but also more hitlag. Opposite near the tip.
- Quickdraw goes less distance when uncharged and cannot be jumped out of on the first 3 (I think) frames
-If you hit with nair when his sword is below him, the opponent is knocked horizontally, not vertically.

If any of this is wrong/private, please let me know so I can edit/remove with my apologies.
Thanks and wow, on paper these changes look like (mostly) medium/large nerfs.
I'm sure it'll probably be fine in game though... Sorta balancing ish I guess.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Pretty much this. It's just weird to keep them a step above (and in turn just giving anti-spacie tools to everything, hurting wolf unfairly) when the goal is to have everyone at the same level.

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
Was there a reason for the blue flames? Or is it just because it looks cooler?

If I'm not mistaken Ike is the Hero of Blue Flames. Haven't played his games so I'm not sure where that title comes from.

Though in regards to that title him having blue fire makes sense.

McNinja

Smash Ace
If I'm not mistaken Ike is the Hero of Blue Flames. Haven't played his games so I'm not sure where that title comes from.

Though in regards to that title him having blue fire makes sense.
Ah. I didn't know that. That makes sense then. I approve this change.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero

Can a PMBRoomer confirm the changes to QuickDraw? And then explain why they were necessary, or at least more desirable? And then provide info on the buffs he must have gotten to compensate for the blatant nerfs that make these tweaks instead of just obvious pandering to outcries of brokenness? Like the only thing here that seems to not be an outright nerf is the tipper system, but I haven't tried it yet and it may very well turn out to be just that...

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
Ike debuted on Fire Emblem Path of Radiance (Path of the Blue Flame in japan), the game which he became the hero of the blue flames, a reference of how connected the war was to the fire emblem medallion, which radiates chaos energy in the form of blue flames.

Later on Radiant Dawn, Ike wields the essence of a goddess, portrayed by blue flames surrounding Ike's body and sword.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Well the walljump one is obvious, and I think the Side B change was directed at his tech chasing and quicker QD approaching. They didn't want people to cover so much ground with the bonus ability to cancel it, by simply tapping Side B and covering the ground near instantly. Charging it to cover that much distance is a fair trade off because you are stationary for longer and charging gives the opponent more time to figure out a response. How much shorter it goes might not impact his TC game much if he can still normally cover the ground by doing dash attack or SH Fair.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The only thing that I'm not sure about is the Nair change. How low roughly does the sword have to be, and how strong/weak is this hit gonna be compared to the rest of Nair?

^^^

Ike can still walljump out of Side B. You want a pandering change, they would have taken it out completely. Probably would have removed the ability to jump out of QD, to Upb if QD hits someone offstage, etc. Those things would be worth getting up into arms over lol.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
What may seem like a "a lot" really doesn't completely change Ike at all. If everyone in the BR was just as touchy or reactionary as you with regards to how certain characters must be changed on paper, without trying them, we'd never get anywhere.
So all changes are official, huh? Guess I'll have to try them when they come out.

+1 for Hero of the Blue Flame reference :cool:

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Ike's QD definitely needed a distance nerf.

I think most of the other listed changes are not really significant but pretty unnecessary, though the tipper system sounds interesting. I'll wait to play a completed build first.

Revven

FrankerZ
So all changes are official, huh? Guess I'll have to try them when they come out.
I didn't say any of the changes were official. Whatever's been changed is not final, just like everything else. Still trying stuff out, things may get thrown out, things might not.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
i dont understand nerfing any melee character

imo melee top 8 deserves to be literally exactly like melee

all other characters should get buffs, but there also should be some characters that just straight get beaten by spacies

also wolf should definitely be on fox/falcos level. purposely designing a spacie to not be as good as the other spacies is dumb imo, i dont even care that its canon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom