• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
What -is- the balance goal here anyways?

:phone:
my understanding (FOREWARNING: I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH PMBR) is that, they originally wanted everyone to be fox/falco level, then realized that you would have to make an entire cast of ridonculous characters for that. the new focus is to aim for melee marth/falcon/peach/dorf levels.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
It may have looked like that on Jcaesar's stream but that was probably just a coincidence. The stars only indicate how many kills you have gotten.
Thanks to both of you for clarifying things for me.

I figured there were coding limitations preventing you from seeing your stocks between matches, but it's impossible to know that without asking first.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
my understanding (FOREWARNING: I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH PMBR) is that, they originally wanted everyone to be fox/falco level, then realized that you would have to make an entire cast of ridonculous characters for that. the new focus is to aim for melee marth/falcon/peach/dorf levels.
I'm pretty sure they've never stated that they decided against balancing around the top three. Nor that you need ridiculous characters for that, since you don't. Ridiculous characters are what you see in brawl-, fox and Falco are just well designed characters who happen to be better than the others. Their level isn't by any means impossible for e other characters to achieve without being ridiculous.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I'm pretty sure they've never stated that they decided against balancing around the top three. Nor that you need ridiculous characters for that, since you don't. Ridiculous characters are what you see in brawl-, fox and Falco are just well designed characters who happen to be better than the others. Their level isn't by any means impossible for e other characters to achieve without being ridiculous.

Shine literally takes everything you just said, defecates all over it, and then hands it back to you still warm.

Fox and Falco are poorly designed for balance. There, I said it.

I'm also pretty sure the PMBR (I'm not affiliated with them don't shoot me) goal is not to make Fox/Falco level characters. Or rather, it is to make characters who can compete vs them without being made in their image. That is no guarantee of how well a character will do though, especially if the first "line of defense" is to give more characters "anti spacie" tools like Uthrow CG's strong edge guarding etc. There tends to be collateral damage with that line of thinking, and inevitably characters are gonna get shafted OR very similar/boring in game design. AKA everyone has a Uthrow CG on them, everyone has a recovery good enough to get back onstage safely, everyone has a sex kick, etc

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
*grabs flame shield* In that case, will Fox & Falco be brought down to the level of everyone else? No, I don't care if they're at their Melee level now. If you're not going to design everyone to match with the best, then the best need to be brought down to the level you're designing everyone for. It's called balance, and you can't arbitrarily exempt characters from it, no matter HOW good they are.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
*grabs flame shield* In that case, will Fox & Falco be brought down to the level of everyone else? No, I don't care if they're at their Melee level now. If you're not going to design everyone to match with the best, then the best need to be brought down to the level you're designing everyone for. It's called balance, and you can't arbitrarily exempt characters from it, no matter HOW good they are.
Who died and made you chief of the PMBR staff?

Smooth Criminal

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
Who died and made you chief of the PMBR staff?

Smooth Criminal
It's called game balance. I don't need to be part of the staff nor a competitive player to recognize that having characters that are inherently better than the entire rest of the staff is bad game design. You can't balance different characters to different levels and still call it balanced, especially for a game as technical and competitive as this.
I'm sorry if I'm being too blunt here, but language and subtlety have always been big weaknesses for me.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Not every matchup in the game needs to be even for the game to be balanced. Some characters are gonna wreck spacies, and some are gonna get wrecked by them. As long as there isn't a character who pretty much dominates everybody (metaknight) then the game will be balanced just fine. So far, this game is pretty impressively balanced, and if they continue this way until the whole roster is complete, then it'll be the best smash game to date.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
It's called game balance. I don't need to be part of the staff nor a competitive player to recognize that having characters that are inherently better than the entire rest of the staff is bad game design. You can't balance different characters to different levels and still call it balanced, especially for a game as technical and competitive as this.
I'm sorry if I'm being too blunt here, but language and subtlety have always been big weaknesses for me.
The spacies, while very good, aren't inherently better than the rest of the cast. They have a set of exploitable weaknesses that many other characters have been given specific tools to exploit. The spacies will still probably be on top, but other characters will be able to compete, which is the idea.

Low-coefficient of Friction Criminal

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
Not every matchup in the game needs to be even for the game to be balanced. Some characters are gonna wreck spacies, and some are gonna get wrecked by them. As long as there isn't a character who pretty much dominates everybody (metaknight) then the game will be balanced just fine. So far, this game is pretty impressively balanced, and if they continue this way until the whole roster is complete, then it'll be the best smash game to date.
I don't mean to say that every matchup will be 50:50. What I'm saying is that if there are characters that naturally excel over the rest, and you aren't aiming to balance the other characters to that level of gameplay in some way, then you're doing balance wrong.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I don't mean to say that every matchup will be 50:50. What I'm saying is that if there are characters that naturally excel over the rest, and you aren't aiming to balance the other characters to that level of gameplay in some way, then you're doing balance wrong.
Balance isn't as cut and dry as you are making it out to be. Say you buff every other character to be on spacies level(something pretty arbitrary in the first place). Suddenly, because you made links fsmash come out on frame 3 so he can deal with spacie pressure(completely random examples) his match-up with wario which was slightly in his favor suddenly becomes 90-10 in his favor. Well, we can't have that so lets change wario to make him super fast, well now suddenly wario destroys pit so lets etc etc etc. You have to be very careful with balance changes it's not really as simple as "putting all the other characters on the same level".

I just don't think their should be any hard counter match-ups and the game would be perfectly balanced even with soft counters. It takes time though.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Balance isn't as cut and dry as you are making it out to be. Say you buff every other character to be on spacies level(something pretty arbitrary in the first place). Suddenly, because you made links fsmash come out on frame 3 so he can deal with spacie pressure(completely random examples) his match-up with wario which was slightly in his favor suddenly becomes 90-10 in his favor. Well, we can't have that so lets change wario to make him super fast, well now suddenly wario destroys pit so lets etc etc etc. You have to be very careful with balance changes it's not really as simple as "putting all the other characters on the same level".

I just don't think their should be any hard counter match-ups and the game would be perfectly balanced even with soft counters. It takes time though.
Hylian with the winning post. Especially with the whole bit, "it takes time."

Smooth Criminal

JOE!

Smash Hero
The thinking that I find a bit off (and I'm guessing leaf as well) is that everyone has it in the back of their mind that the spacies "should" still be on top. Is that not similar to saying that the cast is being balanced around X level, but there will still be characters (intentionally) a tad above?

On that note, once all the characters are in, will there be an inevitable balance patch like 8-12 months later to iron out MUs to like a 40/60 range?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You would assume so given the complexity more characters tend to add to balance.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
The thinking that I find a bit off (and I'm guessing leaf as well) is that everyone has it in the back of their mind that the spacies "should" still be on top. Is that not similar to saying that the cast is being balanced around X level, but there will still be characters (intentionally) a tad above?

On that note, once all the characters are in, will there be an inevitable balance patch like 8-12 months later to iron out MUs to like a 40/60 range?

well, the mindset currently is (afaik), keep the top tier as close to melee as possible. then make everyone else. they want to use the top tier as a sort of litmus, even if they don't necessarily want to set the rest of the roster to their level.

once the game is "complete", put it out and let everyone do their thing with it and try to get a good year or so of metagame happening. then, at the point, look at everything and decide if the melee pantheon needs some down tweaking or if the game's good enough as is.

Asylum

Smash Journeyman
Whats the release looking like? It doesn't seem like anyone was answered in this thread. Any ideas? Few weeks? Not Sure? Specific Date? Thanks guys keep it up!

JOE!

Smash Hero
Well, that's just it, cory. I get keeping the top tier as-is during development as a sort of model/measuring stick, but when the mindset is like "oh, don't worry, the melee tops are still the best", why bother with the new or improved cast? Obviously this isn't what the pmbr is doing, but it is a little worrying when the state of mind is still there of "Bowser should always suck Cus fat, and falco always needs to be top tier". *shrug*

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Well I feel like anyone who has a mindset of "X character isn't good, and will never be good" just doesn't know anything about PM. I mean, yea some of the chars are better than others, but the ones who were bad in previous games have been buffed, so most everyone is more usable than ever before. Add to that, the fact that PM is being rebalanced and tweaked all the time...

You seriously don't need to worry about them making particular characters better than everyone else on purpose. I mean, yea Ike is currently "OP" but he's really not that much better than everyone else (he's not exactly MK), and they're still tweaking characters all the time.

iLink

Smash Champion
There will always be a best character. If you nerf spacies, someone is just going to take their place.

Better it be them that takes some decent technical skill to be succesful with, compared to MK who isnt hard to use by any stretch.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I imagine it'll take a little while for the metagame to gestalt into anything quantifiable. Lest ya'll forget, this is still a beta. A lot of **** can change from point A to point B.

Smooth Criminal

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
There will always be a best character. If you nerf spacies, someone is just going to take their place.

Better it be them that takes some decent technical skill to be succesful with, compared to MK who isnt hard to use by any stretch.

Or Ike lmfao

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Lol at people pretending that fox and Falco are like some maximum level of brokenness that it isn't possible to compete with. That's just not the case. Shine, for example, still requires you to be practically on top of the opponent. It doesn't have good range at all, so if you had some shine-speed move with the same utility but greater range, bam, suddenly something better. You could give a character moves all of shine-level quickness but with different knockback strengths/angles and different reaches! and perhaps then you could consider the character broken beyond repair. Despite being amazing, fox and Falco aren't at that point. And no character needs to be. But if Falco and fox aren't beyond competition, why nerf them?

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Shine, for example, still requires you to be practically on top of the opponent. It doesn't have good range at all...
You underestimate the range on Fox's shine. IIRC, Fox's shine's range reaches out farther than the animation does (although only by a tiny bit). Probably has more range than a lot of neutral aerials do (at least with disjointedness, if not reach). Falco's shine's range is pretty small, though, so it's less ridiculous.
(I'm not arguing against your main point or anything; just saying that Fox's shine has more range than you make it out to be.)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I don't think many (any) people here have made the claim that spacies are on a level no one can ever touch or beat. The question was whether or not they are ridiculously designed and whether they are good for balance. They can fail BOTH of those criteria without being ban worthy and without being nerf worthy. Would the game be better off if they were PAL versions of themselves? From a balance perspective yes. Do you HAVE to nerf them? No, and like people have pointed out you can simply tweak other characters make more Ike's and Lucario's give everyone a strong Uthrow CG blah blah blah. However, I personally think that may be the wrong way to go about it, and I'd rather see characters remain unique + PAL spacies to take things down a notch rather than everyone with very similar designs towards handling spacies. Giving people the kind of range speed CG ability or xyz tangent that massively helps vs spacies, has implications for how the rest of the cast is going to deal with it and it will bog down design with similar throws tech chases edge guarding capabilities etc.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Designing characters to be as polarizing as Ike or Lucario or any Brawl- character is much worse for balance than Fox or Falco or Sheik's D-throw could ever be.

Until Fox and Falco stop going even with a large potion of the cast, I don't see a reason to bring them down to a level where Sheik is better than them even WITH all her dumb PAL nerfs.

Shine is a perfectly designed move with no intrinsic faults (unless you really want to count 3 frames of JumpSquat afterward as a fault), and nothing about PAL spacies changes that matter.

#BuffFalcon2013!

Knee should kill at 20!

Hey man, we all know Falcon's secretly only want to be able to sh bair waveland/DJ so they can pretend they're playing Smash64.

Muhti

Turkish Smasher
Question:

When I download Project M do I HAVE to put it in a fresh SD card?

Or should I put it with all the other retexture hacks are?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I don't really feel like Falco needs a nerf. I think a large number of characters are receiving buffs that directly counter the spacings where his laser game is weakest, so he's getting nerfed by proxy.

Fox, though, is another story. You can't just bring every other character to his level, because he's good at just about everything. You'd wind up with a pretty uniform cast if you tried to make everyone "as good as Fox." Even PAL Fox was pretty untouchable, when you really look at it. He was just more manageable while still being Fox. I think PAL Fox would be a Goldilocks nerf, because he'd still be strong in the things he's most strong in, but he'd just have to win a couple more games of rock paper scissors to win with his standard strategy.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I think PAL Fox would be a Goldilocks nerf, because he'd still be strong in the things he's most strong in, but he'd just have to win a couple more games of rock paper scissors to win with his standard strategy.
Do you feel that would be better for balance, though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom