• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kati

Smash Lord
iirc wolf is the best character in assault. No one is designing him to be intentionally worse... and canon only applies to style/visuals (such as Ike's new blue flames). The PMBR is doing a great job, and making those kind of claims just shows how far this balance discussion has gone for the worse.

lol at this brawl tourny. As if it weren't slow enough, a third of the matches I've seen reset.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Well to be fair they were trying to keep his Brawl flavor as well. Making him as good as Fox and Falco would probably entail changes to his moveset from Brawl and frankly would be a less interesting character imo (only change I think he should have in that vein, is a sex kick Nair instead of the fruit loop he does now)

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
i'm definitely not saying the PMBR is doing poorly because they aren't

i am however saying wolf seems to be, and is purposely a worse character than the other spacies

and iirc the star fox team never loses to the star wolf team

he deserves a sex kick definitely, a quicker bair, and a dair that doesn't give spacies a knockdown at 0-30ish, similar to falco

and fox and falco should NOT be able to grab the edge after an illusion mistake (aka the derp)

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Wolf just didn't get very many changes from his brawl iteration. The only things I really noticed were his usmash being changed, and his blaster moves waaaaay slower, despite the fact that wolf already had the slowest blaster.

Truthfully, he's the only character I play in brawl that I haven't played much in PM. I'd probably have gotten to him more if my other characters weren't lucario and ike.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Fox and falco are able to grab the ledge when you sideB in the air and off the stage because they're at the peak of the sideB. If you were too high up, a ledge grab box wouldn't appear in time for you to reverse grab the ledge. Reverse grab box is a universal code. All characters can reverse ledge grab at the peak of their recovery move when facing away from the stage.

Kati

Smash Lord
Did 2.1 revert back to vanilla brawl's battlefield? I.E wider dimensions?

Warhawk

Smash Lord
Spacies currently don't seem so much above the cast to warrant a nerf, especially without most of the cast being finished to begin with and more testing to see if strategies might arise from the new abilities given to characters to make the spacies not actually as good as everyone is complaining about (which isn't even broken level anyways). See how things pan out before you start taking away abilities that will potentially alienate melee spacie players from playing project M (though of the nerfs, the up-b one is a good one to consider in the future if the spacies are still well and above the whole cast).

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Okay, so. I know this is completely random, but I actually want to see a stream of the expert players here taking on Cruel Brawl in P:M. Eli, Leelue, Bubba... um... ****, I don't know any other names. You know who you guys are.
I'm honored. :awesome:

ALSO
for what it's worth
Eli, you just got put in the same category as Bubbaking. Discuss
:cool::shades:

Ignoring the color, I thought this picture was pretty epic.

What -is- the balance goal here anyways?
To bring everyone to the spacees' level.

my understanding (FOREWARNING: I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH PMBR) is that, they originally wanted everyone to be fox/falco level, then realized that you would have to make an entire cast of ridonculous characters for that. the new focus is to aim for melee marth/falcon/peach/dorf levels.
Or to do that and leave the spacees above everyone else.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
IIRC Brawl in general had larger characters, but they've been crushed down to Melee size.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
except bowser

who's huge.

so life and i played bowser vs marth yesterday and we are both of the opinion that... well...

marth wins, easily a 60-40 MU in marth's favor.

bowser can win it, but definantly has to work hard for it (i think i won 3 of the 6 or 7 matches we played)

at least vs ike bowser can look for trades (which are in his favor until mid %s)

also LOL at fox not being "too good"... he is. the skill level needed for fox to be unstoppable is just high as heck

:phone:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Duh. Grab Bowser or launch him as Marth, win MU basically.

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
i dont understand nerfing any melee character

imo melee top 8 deserves to be literally exactly like melee

all other characters should get buffs, but there also should be some characters that just straight get beaten by spacies

also wolf should definitely be on fox/falcos level. purposely designing a spacie to not be as good as the other spacies is dumb imo, i dont even care that its canon

This is a really dumb post.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero

God forbid characters be made to be good.

Nerfing Ike's side B distance I guess I could understand; making him unable to jump out of it for 3 frames or whatever doesn't really do that, and it doesn't make him a more interesting or better designed character either.

Like, if it had faster warmup in return for less distance covered, it would make for a more dynamic move without the "scariness" that seems to be such a problem for some people.

Ahdunnuh, it just seems really dumb to weaken Ike's neutral game while keeping the stuff that makes him polarizing and obnoxious. Hopefully the nerfs mentioned were just hearsay and not authentic because making the character even more extreme is a horrible way to address his issues.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
That three frame empty travel time on QD was the only real problem I have for sure about the Ike changes (except for the wall jump limit, but apparently me being obnoxious about it isn't changing it regardless of how stupid and unnecessary it is). If it just traveled less distance when uncharged it wouldn't be a big deal. Hell, I'd find other uses for it if that were the case, including edge cancels that weren't possible before. But the 3 frames thing just seems like it'll make it impossible to continue combos when the opponent is out of SH reach but just in reach of Insta-JC'd QD. Especially stuff like f-throw->bair that works on a lot of characters. And suddenly quick QDWDs are gonna be so much slower, probably borderline useless. That was like, my favorite thing to do with him :(

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The 3-frame wait is currently in testing and the change hopes to address a few issues:

1. Noncommittal nature of 2.1 QD. Jump-Cancelable on Frame 1 means that you're only committed to movement during your jumpsquat frames. Adding 3 is mostly negligible, but important in a game as fast as this one that is also consequently based largely on positioning.
2. Follows precedent of previous JC-able Grounded moves such as Shine that force a short time of wait before being able to jump.

It is not final and as always with Project M Developmental Builds, is subject to change.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Why isn't there a smiley for nodding heads? :(

2. Follows precedent of previous JC-able Grounded moves such as Shine that force a short time of wait befoer being able to jump.
But, but.................the shine also gives a frame of invincibility. You can't possibly hope to compare two moves as different as the shine and QD. And besides, the shine is on characters with ridiculous aerials, really good other specials, and great character traits such as speed, kill power, and whatnot. You can't really follow "precedents" when the 'preceding move' is on a character with a whole different kit than the one had by a char with the 'preceded move'.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
That three frame empty travel time on QD was the only real problem I have for sure about the Ike changes (except for the wall jump limit, but apparently me being obnoxious about it isn't changing it regardless of how stupid and unnecessary it is). If it just traveled less distance when uncharged it wouldn't be a big deal. Hell, I'd find other uses for it if that were the case, including edge cancels that weren't possible before. But the 3 frames thing just seems like it'll make it impossible to continue combos when the opponent is out of SH reach but just in reach of Insta-JC'd QD.
Relax Food; there's no confirmation of the change, and it probably isn't real because I mean come on, I have enough faith that the PMBR wouldn't make a change that dumb.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
QD also has a start up of nine frames and no hitbox at that time. QD is WAY committal compared to the shine. In a game as fast as this, 9 frames is gigantic... The problem isn't the move for ****s sake... It's the people that aren't playing right against Ike, and giving him too much room to move around...

@Kink
But... But
:'(

EDIT: wouldn't it make more sense to add those frames to the move's forced startup
I mean if you guys are hell bent on nerfing Ike and particularly QD
That way it doesn't feel like some artificial barrier against jumping but just a slightly slower move
Also can't you input jumps during the three frame window immediately after shine and still have it occur ASAP after the window (kind of like a buffer)? Because no matter how fast I pressed the two buttons together, I've never not had a shine jump cancel unless I straight up missed the button. And I mean using the thumb to press the two simultaneously, and it still works.
Also Bubba I wanted to apologize for so vehemently insisting a little while ago on smash mods upon an instantly-available cancel for the shine, because it turns out its not that way. I had gotten that idea from a variety of observations which turned out to be inconsistent. Excuses aside, I was wrong, so I though I'd let you know that for once you were right.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Fox has as much mobility as a QDing Ike just by running around. This just doesn't make sense to me....

Why can't some PP/Mango/Umbreon/Javi level player just pick up a P:M spacee already so we can all see how darn broken these spacees are? We don't need changes being handed out left and right when they're being left exactly the same.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yeah that's a real funny thought, looks like only Lucario really challenges him for that spot

Not like Fox got nerfed into Captain Falcon territory and it's flying over everyone's head

stingers

Smash Obsessed
except bowser

who's huge.

so life and i played bowser vs marth yesterday and we are both of the opinion that... well...

marth wins, easily a 60-40 MU in marth's favor.

bowser can win it, but definantly has to work hard for it (i think i won 3 of the 6 or 7 matches we played)

at least vs ike bowser can look for trades (which are in his favor until mid %s)

also LOL at fox not being "too good"... he is. the skill level needed for fox to be unstoppable is just high as heck

I did pretty good against Dr PP with Bowser. It's not a hopeless MU.
Bowser can beat out grab with up b, and beat out marths aerials with fair. You just have to pick the right time to do each one. Baiting out one jump or grab properly can change the tide of the match instantly since bowser hits so hard

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
He had all of those flaws in Melee, what kind of argument is that? I expect a character argument like Ike Lucario etc passed him up because of xyz.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I hope he was talking about Fox. After all he didn't bring up Lucario, I did.

Leelue what fun characters would those be, Sonic and Pit?

WILL YOU BE THE NEXT... GURUKID?!?!?!

:drflip:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom