• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeiunBomb

Smash Apprentice
@ leelue: Ouch; I didn't even think that was possible. I suppose it's too late to mention now, but be sure to keep an archive on your computer of whatever .brstms you have downloaded/looped from here on out.

leelue

Smash Lord
I was playing... and the music got choppy while on skyworld. Like blanking out and then starting up again where it left off. During the next match, it skipped to brawl music. I was like, ok, something went wrong.
strm folder = empty

Everything else is there

wtf

PurDi

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I'll put my concerns away from wolf then. Since obviously the minority can't be correct even a little bit. I'm concerned with how the pmbr handlers public relations. You tend to make arguments towards people and not really understand where they come from. The pmbr as a whole doesn't actually answer people 90ish percent of the time. I'd love for my ideas to be acknowledged instead of shut down because I may be in the minority... Look into all options and maybe I'm wrong, but maybe you are too. Try out different designs, nothing is stopping you. But my lack of mass production and having people put my ideas into action does stop me.

:phone:

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
But you haven't actually explained any ideas. You haven't even really explained the problem.
Nor is the timeframe of proposed changes even remotely feasible.

"I don't like this character."
"Okay, but a lot of people do - especially some who know the game far better, and who have actually played the character."
"Why haven't you acknowledged my concerns or worked on a solution to make me happy yet?"

Revven

FrankerZ
Okay, I'll put my concerns away from wolf then. Since obviously the minority can't be correct even a little bit. I'm concerned with how the pmbr handlers public relations. You tend to make arguments towards people and not really understand where they come from. The pmbr as a whole doesn't actually answer people 90ish percent of the time. I'd love for my ideas to be acknowledged instead of shut down because I may be in the minority... Look into all options and maybe I'm wrong, but maybe you are too. Try out different designs, nothing is stopping you. But my lack of mass production and having people put my ideas into action does stop me.

So, you'd rather us create a second Wolf to appease you and one other person, over working on a different character? Is that what you're saying here? Without at all understanding the iterative process that went into making Wolf in the first place or even any character in general?

Ecks

Smash Lord
Like Falco said a few pages back, they can't hope to meet everyone's hopes/expectations of what a character should be like. We all understand that you simply don't like the character and that's fine. But you need to understand that pretty much everyone else likes the character. It sucks, but that's how it is. You're not the one designing the characters, they are. It's no different than me not liking many character design choices in Brawl (for vets and newcomers alike). Too bad for me, but a lot of people liked them.

@Leelue You've got ghosts bro.

shanus

Smash Hero
hey guys you should make wolf play like wolf

if you don't, i want be happy.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
unless you can alter gravity for one object and not the other, its true outside a vacum too.
edit: air resistance is negligible for objects of the same dimmensions and different densities and weight. "The golf ball bowling ball experiment"
edit: Actualy i cant remember if the densities can be different.
The densities would be different if the masses were different and the dimensions were the same. I was getting at you more from the stand point that you said mass doesn't affect falling speed (not what you meant, but it could be interpreted thusly). Given an elephant falls faster than a golf ball, your statement is false, given the only condition given was mass. Basically I was just being a smart ***.

blerb

Smash Journeyman

Stop acting like a spoiled child, Jesus.

You act as if the PMBR aren't paying attention to what you're saying... Which is pretty ridiculous because it's been explained countless times that the Demo is a week away from release and Wolf has already been solidified (for the most part.) It does not matter if you consider Wolf's design "wrang >:(" because a lot of people think it's "right :)"

Not to speak on behalf of the PMBR, but I'm sure they've taken countless suggestions for pretty much all characters, from a variety of people. To say that they "shut down" your idea is just plain wrong. I'm sure that they're sorry they can't explore your ideas more, but it's pretty much your own fault... Perhaps you shouldn't have waited this long (O U KNOW DEMO 2 NEXT WEEK FFS) to actually say something.

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
The P:M team wouldn't mind complaints as long as they offered ideas. What don't you like and why? What would be better?

Sample complaint (more of a question though):
I feel like there is a *too common* trend of the backroom to "auto-enhance" a character by making throws that were designed to have followups. Am I wrong to be concerned about it? I feel like I'm missing something.

I'd ask PurDi to state what he wants wolf to be like and why, but I feel like this thing has become a bit of a circle-jerk.
A bit hypocritical of me to post after saying that, but oh well, It's a good way to pass time.

PurDi

Smash Journeyman
So, you'd rather us create a second Wolf to appease you and one other person, over working on a different character? Is that what you're saying here? Without at all understanding the iterative process that went into making Wolf in the first place or even any character in general?
Not exactly no. I feel that the ideas of the PMBR are taken to be what's right. I don't like how whatever the PMBR says the character should be like is what they will be like. I'd love to give my feedback on the character but as I'm obviously not the greatest player, I don't think it'd be a good idea.

Nor is the timeframe of proposed changes even remotely feasible.

"I don't like this character."
"Okay, but a lot of people do - especially some who know the game far better, and who have actually played the character."
"Why haven't you acknowledged my concerns or worked on a solution to make me happy yet?"
Again, What's to say a more recognizable player has more say over the average player? I'm not asking for you to make me happy per se, I'm asking that my ideas be discussed and for people not to attack my arguments, but give me a clear cut answer of why Wolf was designed the way he is and not another way. It's been state that wolf doesn't feel like he flows well (animation and mechanics).

hey guys you should make wolf play like wolf

if you don't, i want be happy.
You're not helping. Don't make me a victim by simplifying my arguments and making me sound stupid.

Stop acting like a spoiled child, Jesus.

You act as if the PMBR aren't paying attention to what you're saying... Which is pretty ridiculous because it's been explained countless times that the Demo is a week away from release and Wolf has already been solidified (for the most part.) It does not matter if you consider Wolf's design "wrang >:(" because a lot of people think it's "right :)"

Not to speak on behalf of the PMBR, but I'm sure they've taken countless suggestions for pretty much all characters, from a variety of people. To say that they "shut down" your idea is just plain wrong. I'm sure that they're sorry they can't explore your ideas more, but it's pretty much your own fault... Perhaps you shouldn't have waited this long (O U KNOW DEMO 2 NEXT WEEK FFS) to actually say something.
My problem is that wolf is in the demo. If he wasn't I really wouldn't have the problem seeing as he would be a more wip character and thus more prone to change. I'm not asking for it to be done by demo 2, that's ludicrous. Honestly, I'm slightly letting my frustration drive me and my words aren't coming out clearly. Whenever something like that comes up, I don't mean it literally, I just don't have the time or patience to go back through and make sure I didn't add in any absolutes. On that note, people need to stop picking apart my words and look into the general meaning behind them.

The P:M team wouldn't mind complaints as long as they offered ideas. What don't you like and why? What would be better?

Sample complaint (more of a question though):
I feel like there is a *too common* trend of the backroom to "auto-enhance" a character by making throws that were designed to have followups. Am I wrong to be concerned about it? I feel like I'm missing something.

I'd ask PurDi to state what he wants wolf to be like and why, but I feel like this thing has become a bit of a circle-jerk.
A bit hypocritical of me to post after saying that, but oh well, It's a good way to pass time.
Fine, heres a list of what I think should be done. Take it or leave it but please tell me what's wrong with it or why the current design is better. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF MY POST. I feel stupid having to say that.

I'd like wolf to be a more punish heavy character.

-Have excellent roll and spot dodge punishers.
-Have something to bait jumps. I don't know if his blaster does this well with the speed decrease.
-Have brawler type moves, rely heavily on jabs and tilts to lock the opponent in place.
-Generally keep the opponent plastered to the ground with non-tumble attacks with high hit stun.
-Have grab mixups that lead into jabs or nair-shine.
-bthrow should be his higher angled throw, though low knock back to lead to baited jumps or downwards kills off stage.
-dthrow should be a normal spacie dthrow, a techchase throw.
-fthrow should be like marths fthrow. Low knockback to lead to either a techchase mid percents, chain throws at low percents and positioning at high percents (sideb kills on bad DI).
-uthrow should be a kick upwards that looks similar to fthrows animation. Medium knockback, leads to good mixups.
-Fsmash should be slightly shorter and make it have higher traction in order to have options if the opponent DI's well (out of range of the second hit)/
-Dsmash is fine, but maybe a jiggs like trajectory.
-Usmash should be a basic utility vertical killer. Kills at medium high percents.
-I absolutely LOVE how sideb works, so that's great.
-His reflector should be slightly more like foxes, a lower angle, but not on the ground. This could lead to RAR'd bairs for kills, nair or fair to bring them into the pressure more, or wavedash up tilt for a potential sideb set up depending on DI.
-Upb is fine as is.
-Ftilt could be like Zelda's down tilt, keeping them in place but putting them in lots of stun.
-Dtilt should be slower but have a upwards trajectory with very low KBG.
-Utilt could have higher KBG in order to lead to sideb setups or bairs.
-His jab is great as is.
-Aerials should be mostly horizontal killing with a roy like up air.
-Fair should pull down like a 'pseudo command grab' (think how most multihit dairs work).

I think thats most of what I'd like to see. Mostly a character that does about the opposite of what you guys have done (no offense). A character that pulls the opponent down and keeps the low and wait to set up a low trajectory (dsmash, fair gimps, dair meteors) or strong horizontal kills (bair, sideb, fsmash).

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
RAR is from a dash and shines have a JC on them, so no you couldn't RAR out of them because you're jumping. You could probably do WD -> RAR, though.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
The densities would be different if the masses were different and the dimensions were the same. I was getting at you more from the stand point that you said mass doesn't affect falling speed (not what you meant, but it could be interpreted thusly). Given an elephant falls faster than a golf ball, your statement is false, given the only condition given was mass. Basically I was just being a smart ***.
When i said dimensions i was talking about shape. My fault bad choice of words. but look at what i said again, i said weight. Mass is not the same as weight. mass is how much substance. weight is how much of a substance is being pulled down by gravity. Your mass is the same on earth and the moon but your weight is different.

After thinking about it density does need to be the same (or at least close to the same since we aren't in a vacum

so given that statment i'll agree my first statment about density was offf. that being said i did say i wasn't sure about the density in a non-vacum.

Also Density = Mass/Volume. you can have different masses and the same density as long as you have the right amount of volume. like a bowling ball vs a golf ball or.... if that elephant were shaped like the golf ball and its volume was the correct value they'd fall at the same speed in air. Math :smirk:.

weight still does not matter

I get that you were being a smart aleck :) im just enjoying a smart conversation.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I'm gonna go make my own Brawl mod. It will have blackjack and hookers, and Wolf has Zelda's dtilt.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
If you think characters are exactly as we want them, you'd be surprised. We have quite a bit of different views in the BR and every character requires some discussion. Also, many things we think would be awesome just don't work in the metagame. We have to make concessions for the sake of balance.

Also, sometimes, what seems to be a simple solution to a problem brings more problems than it actually fixes. Many of your suggestions were not stupid per se but when we experimented with them... it was just ridiculous.

Currently, Wolf can pretty much drill shine with N-air similarily to Fox can with his D-air. Also, we're not planning to make every characters play similarily, nor are we trying to stay in the spirit of Brawl. As far as we are concerned, Brawl is nothing but a set of tools we are using to make Project M. Nothing about Brawl is too sacred to be changed, and that includes the playstyle. If good things come from Brawl, we take it, if things feel off, we take it off. Believe me, Wolf feels great, play him before getting critical.

.Cloud.

Smash Rookie
long lurker, never poster like a lot of people who check this thread...wolf cant be considered bad if the demo hasn't come out as we all know, but i have a feeling sonic might be.....but ill try him out in demo 2 and hopefully im just completely wrong.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Really now? You guys ask me to give constructive feedback and give me nothing but crap when I do.
Your feedback and suggestions contains multiple flaws both from a design perspective and a lack of understanding of the game's mechanics. See: Yeroc's post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom