• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Let's just agree to disagree Peef, since I feel this could escalate in a long discussion and I must get ready for work, lol.

BadGuy

Smash Journeyman
I think it has less to do with falco's "broken" laser and more to do with arming the rest of the cast with the tools to deal with the said laser, which the pmbr is doing, have faith in us...now sign your name in blood on this contract.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
If the character has a non-flexible recovery like Ness then I agree, get them a bit offstage and youre good, but Falco has a quite flexible but short recovery, and any time he can reach, he has a good shot of recovering thru his mixups. If the stage has big blastzones, then Falco won't be able to take advantage of them, and it will be basically as if the blastzones are small for him, but if my character can recover from farther away, then I can utilize that extra space. Net benefit for me.
Metal Cavern has massive blast zones compared to the size of the stage. And an uneven base. And a small base. And a ceiling too high to double shine off the top. It's a pretty bad stage for Falco.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I understand, but its the only thing i could compare them too. The main point i was trying to make is snake is geting more help than the other two fighters. but the game isn't done yet so that may change.
Snake only has one grenade with a much smaller hitbox that doesn't KO to the same extent. His recovery is worse, he's far lighter than he used to be, his tilts aren't stupidly good KO moves, and the hitboxes on his moves actually make sense now. (And the worst offender, Utilt, is gone.)

Saying that Snake has only been improved is silly.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I have a suggestion for Kirby, why dont you add Rock Cancel??? Is an AT for Smash 64. In 64 kirby ground rock came out in the first frames (without that crappy transfromation). If you perform the rock while you are walking or in a pivot, kirby will slide for a pretty low distance. If you did that near an edge, kirby would perform the rock and faill without starting lag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JUfqC42UH-U#t=141s

It would be amazing :D
This sounds like a great idea buried by theory fighter snake.

D

Deleted member

It is not fine if any character sucks. They must all at least be tourney-viable.
I really hope you're kidding.

And snake is still terrible. I don't know who said he's good, but...well you're wrong. snake sucks pretty hardcore. any character that has no air to ground game (ike, snake) is always going to have a MAJOR weakness and you'd have to fundamentally change the character or compensate elsewhere to "balance" them but both of those options are really annoying to actually play against.

Like I randomly played the first version of PM and it was VERY obvious that someone wanted yoshi to be REALLY ****ING good for no reason. It's not cool guys, and it's poor design long-term.

Having a perfectly balanced game or making all of the characters equally potent might be really romantic goals I guess but they're going to kick you in the *** later when you're trying to make the game actually good.

edit: Kirby is PERFECT the way he is and don't you go ****ing it up.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yeah i agree with you. if you bend over backwards to attempt to balance a game like smash to where 4-6's are the worst match-ups... you're going to have some characters with really obnoxious playstyles and the game won't really be fun to play. that or a bunch of characters that have lots of similarities among them. i can already feel Squirtle being pretty similar to Pikachu in many regards outside of his specials, because there are only so many ways you can make a small character good w/o being fastfallers.

D

Deleted member

ya squirtle is ****ing godly but he has "low weight". so he's either really annoying to fight, or you get hit twice and he's really annoying to play as. it might be balanced but in the end it's actually just annoying.

edit: Link can probably stay the way he is. I kinda like it when JC whoops my *** with a char that i should be able to shield camp lol

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Kirby is PERFECT the way he is and don't you go ****ing it up.
Stone cancel wouldn't mess him up only make stone situationally better. And make Kirby less boring. :awesome:

But there really is too much "buff my human character" in this thread tonight. Link and Snake don't have to be the best, even on paper. Just decent enough to put up a good fight.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
ya squirtle is ****ing godly but he has "low weight". so he's either really annoying to fight, or you get hit twice and he's really annoying to play as. it might be balanced but in the end it's actually just annoying.
What makes a character not annoying? Is it an ability to effectively punish them? Or having not having 100% safe options?

What's the difference between a character like Squirtle in Project M, and Melee characters such as Peach and Jigglypuff? I like that you're saying something outside the norm, (and intelligently) I just wanna get more out of it.
Like I randomly played the first version of PM and it was VERY obvious that someone wanted yoshi to be REALLY ****ING good for no reason. It's not cool guys, and it's poor design long-term.
I'm assuming you played semi-recently with JC or something? What specific issues did you notice with Yoshi, and what specific design decisions do you think are poor? How does it fit poorly into a Melee environment?

I'm glad you like Link, though.

Beorn4200

Smash Apprentice

edit: Link can probably stay the way he is. I kinda like it when JC whoops my *** with a char that i should be able to shield camp lol
Could you elaborate on your experience with the link matches? Why can't you shield camp him now? JC's Link is not super great, and I would like to know why you had trouble with it... I remember you playing a great shiek and shiek ***** link.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
Snake only has one grenade with a much smaller hitbox that doesn't KO to the same extent. His recovery is worse, he's far lighter than he used to be, his tilts aren't stupidly good KO moves, and the hitboxes on his moves actually make sense now. (And the worst offender, Utilt, is gone.)

Saying that Snake has only been improved is silly.
So his brawl incarnation would beat his P:M incarnation? If that isn't the case, and i hope its not, then he's goten better.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
It's not really comparable. They both function very differently because the games have vastly different mechanics and styles.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Comeback Kid said:
I have a suggestion for Kirby, why dont you add Rock Cancel??? Is an AT for Smash 64. In 64 kirby ground rock came out in the first frames (without that crappy transfromation). If you perform the rock while you are walking or in a pivot, kirby will slide for a pretty low distance. If you did that near an edge, kirby would perform the rock and faill without starting lag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JUfqC42UH-U#t=141s

It would be amazing :D
This sounds like a great idea buried by theory fighter snake
LoL i was going to post it again for the same reasons xDDDD

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
If the character has a non-flexible recovery like Ness then I agree, get them a bit offstage and youre good, but Falco has a quite flexible but short recovery, and any time he can reach, he has a good shot of recovering thru his mixups. If the stage has big blastzones, then Falco won't be able to take advantage of them, and it will be basically as if the blastzones are small for him, but if my character can recover from farther away, then I can utilize that extra space. Net benefit for me.

You can have a small stage with wide blast zones (metal cavern, Foutain of Dreams, battlefield). If the platforms on Foutain of Dreams weren't so amazing for Falco I'd counterpick him there more (Metal Cavern basically gives me that lol)

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
i'd rather have the four hits of her usmash be the move that shows the different effects in her arsenal, rather than her missiles. I.e First hit =fire(plasma beam), 2nd hit do lightning(wave beam) 3rd hit do dark damage(Dark beam) and fiNAl hit do Ice damage(ice beam) which always freeze,but still send them on its melee trajactory or something similar to that effect.

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
Status effects in fighting games are usually annoying to begin with.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Poison arrow.
Poison arrow.
Poison arrow.
Poison arrow.
Poison arrow.
Poison arrow.
Poison arrow.
Poison arrow.
Poison arrow.
Poison arrow.
Poison arrow.
Poison arrow.
Poison arrow.

:|

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Freeze is a terrible status effect .
The devs could probably change this,

Besides right now only IC B and DownB apply ice effect(which will probably be changed like how lucas side B doesnt apply freeze effect), so if the devs could change the way the freeze property works, so you know, it isn't horrible, it could actually be a good thing rather then bad thing.

Also i forgot to say whoever said that Cfalcon arrow to the knee meme, well done, well done bravo, that was actually funny.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
As for Link, I haven't worked on him at all, but we need more poeple like Shadic to test him, I think.
I'd love to test Link, but Shawn Numbers up and disappeared and Shanus doesn't want to chill, that doesn't mean I couldn't test him out with some of my friends but they're not as good as me, I'd be willing to test Link specifically since it seems no one else is and I don't give 2 ***** about the rest of the cast

doesnt either qzzy or sniperfox have a good link? I cant remember which one.
No one I've seen has an even remotely good Link, I guess it's really just me, but I've already explained the dilemma

I know Link can take on Melee top tiers at the very least.
I don't think so, he's definitely better, but I feel he gets ***** by Falco and Fox, moreso Falco

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Spacie matches are not the only measuring stick for how good a character is. Some characters should be soundly beaten by spacies yet still dominate against many others. It's a super large cast after all.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
I don't get it. Does Link counter Falcon or something
Falcon just isn't that great from what I've played of him

Spacie match-ups are not the only measuring stick for how good a character is. Some characters should be soundly beaten by spacies yet still dominate in other match-ups. It's a super large cast after all.
Never said it was, but you're forgetting how small the cast is for the demo, not saying the current Link is bad, but he could be better without breaking anything, one good Link player came around here once and said he should still be improved, the guy the P:M team took suggestions from in the first place

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Spacie matches are not the only measuring stick for how good a character is. Some characters should be soundly beaten by spacies yet still dominate against many others. It's a super large cast after all.
Agreed, Still I think having an official Falco/Fox Counter would be fun. Some argue Puff but with the 2012 stages coming up and Mango retiring his puff in singles then I'd say it's pretty much leveled the playing field completely.

I think we need someone to be immune to shines...that would pretty much do it :troll:

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I think we need someone to be immune to shines...that would pretty much do it :troll:
New boss character: Shined Blind Fox

He's so blind that he's immune to all light-based attacks. Plus all of his attacks do twice as much damage as normal Fox's, and he's as heavy as vBrawl Snake.

Banned from tournaments.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
To I R MarF and others (maybe most of you) that I have put off a bit recently:

I'm sorry that I came off so aggressive in this thread and probably elsewhere. I keep up on every post here so I get a bit too critical of things that might have been answered long ago, or attitudes that I am personally opposed to. I understand not everyone wants to debate everything and be constantly challenged so harshly, and I should really tone it down because I don't officially speak for the Project with every post I make (or with many at all really).

So sorry to you folks, I'm genuinely going to be more patient and helpful to all of the interested souls here.

PS: If possible lets not make this a bash PEEF time :urg:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
So would that make Ray Charles god tier if he were in P:M?

:phone:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKA;LSJGA;LPH[SPGIHSGISKJG;LDKAJ;SDLGKAJSGLDKAJ[PIHS
ASHASHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

-DEADDDDDDDDDD-

**** MAN
asdgk;asdgalskdjg
haksldgjas;d
a;klsdjgas

D

Deleted member

What makes a character not annoying? Is it an ability to effectively punish them? Or having not having 100% safe options?

What's the difference between a character like Squirtle in Project M, and Melee characters such as Peach and Jigglypuff? I like that you're saying something outside the norm, (and intelligently) I just wanna get more out of it.

I'm assuming you played semi-recently with JC or something? What specific issues did you notice with Yoshi, and what specific design decisions do you think are poor? How does it fit poorly into a Melee environment?

I'm glad you like Link, though.
I think what defines annoying will always be completely subjective, both to each character and to the players themselves. For me, I hate fighting squirtle because I'm used to melee jigglypuff's in and out aerial harassment, and squirtle is a smaller, faster version of that. Usually with a character like melee jigglypuff (who is still quite obnoxious on her own) is checked in that her big circular hitbox is easy to clip by throwing out safe moves, her slow air/ground speed, susceptibility to throw combos, etc. Squirtle, while even more frail, can generally play around those weaknesses to the point where a lot of characters have to throw out a move and hope squirtle runs into it.

I played vs cmart's squirtle for a while with zelda, and it's not really realistic for her to actually aim an attack and expect it to hit, so the match devolves into 5 minutes of pot-shots. Maybe zelda vs squirtle is a bad match because zelda already has issues pinning some characters down, but a lot of other faster characters that are good at it seem to have the same problems. For example, it's not much easier for Sheik or Falco to pin down squirtle, and those characters are REALLY good at that kind of engagement. How many MUs do you want to play out like that? As long as you know what you're doing it's okay. I don't think design has to be perfect or balanced, but know what you're doing and why. To answer you more directly, I think melee peach and jigglypuff are annoying on some fronts, but you can also interact with them on many others. squirtle doesn't have that.

I think if I had to define my idea of annoying to you, it's how much interaction you can remove from any particular game. The inability to interact with the opponent some front will create frustration. Many of the brawl characters in particular are hugely non-interactive in some way, whether it be snake's inability to land vs a grounded character, ZSS range-camping into autocombos, and of course melee falco's lasers are in there too. I think stages can add to or take away from interaction too, so for example I don't like warioware because camping under the side platforms is so so good for a few select characters (ex. ROB) and is so bad for everyone else.

On the contrary, some characters are hugely interactive on every front, and these interactions create depth and keep the players interested. I think characters like Link and Kirby are really successful here. The same goes for the stages, and I really like the new Temple stage because the uneven terrain makes certain strategies better than others depending where you are on the stage or who you're playing as, but I didn't see anything overpowering either. The additional depth and dynamic is really nice.

lol mow.

calm down *****
it's an internet forum. if you don't like the things that i type, just block my posts.

Could you elaborate on your experience with the link matches? Why can't you shield camp him now? JC's Link is not super great, and I would like to know why you had trouble with it... I remember you playing a great shiek and shiek ***** link.
i couldn't shield camp link because his moves are more threatening and faster, so there's some new risk/reward action going on, but you can still find some way to work around everything which is really cool. For the most part I beat his Link with Sheik soundly, but the other characters i played the matches were much closer and I had to respect his strategies and he had to respect mine. You can't just mindlessly ride character advantage over him anymore even in link's bad matches, but nothing on him i could see was particularly poorly designed. idk I can't play link but I think he was done pretty well overall.

edit: I don't really understand the peef bashing in this game. Can someone explain it to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom