• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevo

Smash Champion
TAS in melee, Mario can jump after a short hop up-air before landing. (EDIT: wait maybe this isn't possible... I'm not sure.... either way, my request still stands)

any consideration to allowing that to be humanly possible in Project M? Jumping before landing with back-air is difficult enough.

I could see it now... short hop up-air double jump waveland on a platform..... ooohhhhh yeaaa

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Question.

I know you guys fixed nontumble DI, I was wondering if I might talk to someone about procuring that code. Kind of important for both of my own projects.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
I have a question regarding animations for characters. Now considering that you guys made some own animations and revamped some old ones from 64 which look great by the way. Are you guys by chance thinking of either changing some animations on Just the U-tilts for falco or fox? I know that their actual game play and damage is different but their animations looking exactly the same sorta just looks weird now considering the depth in animation changes such as Link and TL for example.

just figured id ask.

Spoon~

Smash Ace
What's with people wanting all of these animation changes now? Stop being so picky about stupid small stuff. If you want changes animate them yourselves.

:phone:

Ecks

Smash Lord
Truth is, people just flip out over the most minor change. It's perfectly fine doing it to bad characters, but top tiers are like holy ground or something.

That being said, I would like some subtle changes in animation so Fox and Falco don't look the exact same during some moves.

nawgui

Smash Cadet
The one reason we can't change fox/falco is because this entire project started originally trying to make a moveset for falco that made him play like his melee self

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
The game is being balanced around the top tier, which we already know are good enough as is.

So I think focusing on the characters that still need help, and giving them new animations to compliment their new gameplay makes far, far more sense.

SuperHappyCow

Banned via Warnings
Wavedashing looks perfectly fine as it is. Not sure what you guys have in mind for a custom animation...
If you guys ever hope to pull in a larger community, and get casual players to stop calling WDing a glitch, then adding actual dash animations to the characters would make sense.

Right now, the animation for all characters is a crouch slide, which is the same for either direction. For a real dash, it would actually need to look like a dash and be different for both directions. Someone really should get around to doing it.

Spoon~

Smash Ace
If you guys ever hope to pull in a larger community, and get casual players to stop calling WDing a glitch, then adding actual dash animations to the characters would make sense.

Right now, the animation for all characters is a crouch slide, which is the same for either direction. For a real dash, it would actually need to look like a dash and be different for both directions. Someone really should get around to doing it.
Most casuals don't even know what a wavedash is, let alone know how to execute one. No need to change it.

Ecks

Smash Lord
Like Shanus said, it's very unnecessary and time consuming. But making wave dashes look like actual dashes (like mvc dashes) would look pretty fancy, I'll give you that. I highly doubt those will happen, unless someone does it as a side thing after release.

And people who claim wdash is a glitch are mostly Melee (competitive play) haters. They claim that we play competitively because it's not fun, as illogical as it sounds. It's great if they like it, but no one's gonna break their back trying for them.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
I just have a question about pivoting.

I'm a huge fan of melee pivoting. The 1 frame window in dash dancing animation where there's a neutral standing frame when any non-dashing action can be done.

But I know Brawl has different pivoting functions entirely built into the game. Where turning around while running has special physics and even 'pivot-grab' animations.

How does it work in P:M?
as far as I know, pivoting is exactly like melee. Perhaps just a little easier, like a frame or two.

Like in the demo, the brawl pivot grab, the turnaround grab as we call it, is performed by pressing Z before the directional input. If you press the direction before, you will dash dance and be able to do melee JC pivot grabs and such.

However, the turnaround grab can be done even out of the initial dash, which gives the two ways different possibilities and different uses for each character.

Metà

Smash Master

There are fundamental problems with changing the wavedash animation. This is because the 'wavedashing' animation is really just the 'landing after an airdodge' animation. If they changed the way the wavedash looked, it would change the way your character was animated when you land after doing a wavedash in the air and then landing.

While it could be possible to fix it, it would be rather difficult to code. They would have to differentiate the two situations, by giving a different animation if you ended the airdodge by hitting the ground. By default, the game recognizes that as being the same as if you just airdodge 20 feet above the ground and land with your usual 10 frames of lag.

Why have none of the people wanting the wavedash animation to be changed even thought of this?

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Making a separate Wavedash animation? To put it simply, I can't be asked =P Having to make one for EVERY character would just be too time consuming.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
Yep nice vid indeed. I really hope that someone can figure out how to give or allow link to pull more bombs because I tried to figure something out but all I keep coming up with are either PSA freezes/crashes or the game freezes when I tried to set the paramater I think it was 1 to 3 when I tried to pull Links bombs so idk what it is. Its obviously more advanced than my current knowledge of PSA. Anyone who wants to tackle this be my guest. (had nothing else to do in my spare time lol)

edit- Nice JC can't wait to see some more vids.

shanus

Smash Hero
There are fundamental problems with changing the wavedash animation. This is because the 'wavedashing' animation is really just the 'landing after an airdodge' animation. If they changed the way the wavedash looked, it would change the way your character was animated when you land after doing a wavedash in the air and then landing.

While it could be possible to fix it, it would be rather difficult to code. They would have to differentiate the two situations, by giving a different animation if you ended the airdodge by hitting the ground. By default, the game recognizes that as being the same as if you just airdodge 20 feet above the ground and land with your usual 10 frames of lag.

Why have none of the people wanting the wavedash animation to be changed even thought of this?
just so you know, its trivial to code. however, its not trivial to animate, nor do we really want to. i could have a working code for it done in less than 5 minutes

Pen_island

Smash Cadet
I just have a question about pivoting.

I'm a huge fan of melee pivoting. The 1 frame window in dash dancing animation where there's a neutral standing frame when any non-dashing action can be done.

But I know Brawl has different pivoting functions entirely built into the game. Where turning around while running has special physics and even 'pivot-grab' animations.

How does it work in P:M?
Its definitely easier to do in P:M. Both in the demo and in the full game I had a small problem where I would try to do a quick dashdance into a dash attack and accidentally do a pivot fsmash. However when you actually want a pivot fsmash its super easy to do. I didn't try it with anything else besides grabs but hopefully this answers your question.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
You know what I noticed?

There isn't enough damn Meta Knight.

Mario
Mario
Mario
Mario
Link
Link
Link
Falco
Link

You see where I'm getting here?

This week JC

imma going to wherevers

and people are gunna get some meta knight

foshio

Smash Journeyman
You know what I noticed?

There isn't enough damn Meta Knight.

Mario
Mario
Mario
Mario
Link
Link
Link
Falco
Link

You see where I'm getting here?

This week JC

imma going to wherevers

and people are gunna get some meta knight
Pff... not enough Yoshi more like!

Cero

Smash Lord
just so you know, its trivial to code. however, its not trivial to animate, nor do we really want to. i could have a working code for it done in less than 5 minutes
Well, I was just wondering if it was possible and you answered that question so thanks. (I still think animated wavedashes would be cool. :))

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
My question is what would a wavedash animation even look like.

The awkward crouching thing is sort of beaten into our heads as smashers... I can't even picture it any different

Alopex

Smash Ace
@Shanus
Wouldn't you also have to create a code to separate forward and backward WDs, though? Cause they'd need separate animations in order to not look awkward. Would that code be easy?

Or why don't we just...

Use the air-dodge animation and leave it at that?
Remove AD SFX, remove AD invincibility flicker.

It's an animation that is already there and perhaps looks less awkward and perhaps looks fine whether you're WDing forward or backward.

Maybe whip up the code and someone else can experiment, Shanus?

Or don't, really. I'm on the side that's totally indifferent.
Nifty, sure. Necessary, no.

Ecks

Smash Lord
i could have sworn JC had some wolf matches uploaded with this new batch of vids then they just disappeared. :( did any body else see them disapear?
That's because Wolf is not to be shown to the public yet. Streams are fine but no youtube. So if you want to see Wolf, check the streams. I'm surprised they can show ZSS though, since I haven't really heard much about her.

Speaking if which, what became of Zamus' Hooligan-like move (Can't see the videos right now)?

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
@Clink, It might be in ft_link.rel.
:( I can't figure this out. I leave it to the pros.

that is even if they feel like doing it. Anywho keep up the great work.

Talking about streams is there going to be any coming up soon?

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Something simple. Like a quick hop back or a dash forward.
But that's exactly what it looks like now, just that the hop is very very quick.

Most of these suggestions make wavedashing sound as if it were an action in itself, rather than technique combining multiple actions. I don't know whether or not it's possible to code it so the game recognizes to play a different animation depending on if you wavedash or actually jump, but even if you can, what about imperfect wavedashes? What about wavelands?
As a sequence of jump-airdodge-land, I think it makes most sense for it to just use the animations for jump, then airdodge, then land.

And really, the current appearance makes perfect sense physically, even by the standards of our world. Imagine you were propelled diagonally into a waxed floor. You would obviously crouch to decrease the g-forces you sustain, and doing so would also lower your center of gravity so you can balance better while you slide. Then you'd fart hexagons to hurt the alien bird you're fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom