• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
almost like roy's dtilt then?
I think this would be a perfect d tilt for Link.

I'm playing Zelda II for the first time (great game, hard as hell), and Link's up air and down air are directly taken from that game. It kinda feels like I'm playing an 8 bit side scrolling smash bros. Unfortunately, his crouching a (a stab attack) is absent from Smash.

The funny thing is, this move persisted into the 3D Zelda era. The Smash team kinda pulled the dtilt animation they used out of their ass, when there was a perfectly good dtilt-like move in every 3D Zelda game.

The question becomes... is a dtilt that works like Roy's (fast and has a ton of hitstun) too good for Link?

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Link would be sick with Roy's DTilt capabilities.

Also, just popping in to say: Project Melee looks great. Keep up the good work.

Revven

FrankerZ
Toon Links new Dash attack isn't the best idea unless it's just an animation change. In Melee it was a pretty important move for getting people off the stages after you hit them with a bomb or something because ledge guarding was one of his best ways to kill people. It's one of the few moves that I think had good enough power and KB to be considered good. Also changing his Fsmash is a silly idea unless you're keeping it the same strength as his old one. Otherwise it'll be too weak imo.
The move is solely based off of YL's angle and knockback from Melee. If you couldn't tell, it's likely because the person playing didn't hit with it at the right time.

Also do keep in mind that TL isn't completely YL and TL isn't completely TL. Meaning to say that we don't HAVE to copy every move from YL or keep every move TL has.

Just don't worry about it. :)

PeachEater74

Smash Apprentice
The move is solely based off of YL's angle and knockback from Melee. If you couldn't tell, it's likely because the person playing didn't hit with it at the right time.

Also do keep in mind that TL isn't completely YL and TL isn't completely TL. Meaning to say that we don't HAVE to copy every move from YL or keep every move TL has.

Just don't worry about it. :)
You should take whatever moves make them better is my point, lol. The animation just threw me off is all because he didn't hit with the move very much. Obviously he shouldn't be all one or the other, and I'm all for the new fair and bair, and potentially the new fsmash. I'll be worrying about my main all I want damn it.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
+1 support for 64smash on tlink

edit: and 64 dash attack

and also i was thinking how his fire arrows stay on the ground burning, if they don't have a hitbox already...they should

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
When I played as him they did. Nonflinching iirc. At the time didn't have a real impact because he still had TL's brawl arrow arc, though with the new one they could be somewhat more useful.

Cero

Smash Lord
Would it still be out of the question to code in custom animations for wavedashes?

I know Melee people really value the nostalgic look of the classic puff of smoke and the random scooting around the stage. But wavedashes as they are now, don't look very professional from an animation standpoint.

To an outsider of the Smash community, it might look really glitchy and inorganic.

Beorn4200

Smash Apprentice
Would it still be out of the question to code in custom animations for wavedashes?

I know Melee people really value the nostalgic look of the classic puff of smoke and the random scooting around the stage. But wavedashes as they are now, don't look very professional from an animation standpoint.

To an outsider of the Smash community, it might look really glitchy and inorganic.
Outsiders of the Smash community all think they look really glitchy and inorganic in melee... That's why even Smash casuals write them off as a glitch or exploit...

Cero

Smash Lord
Yep. That's why we should take this opportunity to improve upon the mechanic and make it look like it actually belongs in the game.

D

Deleted member

Holy crap, I would love a Roy dtilt on Link.

That would have so much freaking utility and ability to synergize with his other moves.

Dtilt to Nair
Dtilt to Fair
Dtilt to Uair
Dtilt to Dair
Dtilt to up-b

While on Link, I'd like to emphasize to Shadic that the size of the hitbox from Link's bombs should not be as big as they are. Link in Melee would frequently attack with bombs and enjoy their small hitbox size because he would not get hit. This is not so in P:M and reduces his ability to do so.

The point isnt to have a big explosion with the bomb. The point is to hit them with the bomb itself.

Also I'm liking the changes to Tink's animations to differentiate him from Link. I was thinking that a cool forward smash for him would be a Diddy Kong like fsmash where he uses his sword in place of Diddy's hands.

Revven

FrankerZ
While on Link, I'd like to emphasize to Shadic that the size of the hitbox from Link's bombs should not be as big as they are. Link in Melee would frequently attack with bombs and enjoy their small hitbox size because he would not get hit. This is not so in P:M and reduces his ability to do so.

The point isnt to have a big explosion with the bomb. The point is to hit them with the bomb itself.
Issue already aware of and has been for awhile.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
While on the subject of randomly changing the Links' animations, what if one of them got a shield bash? It could fit as an Ftilt, Fsmash, Dash Attack, Pummel, or Fthrow.
Or even better than just an animation change, the attack could have idle's projectile-blocking property.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Issue already aware of and has been for awhile.
Addendum: And has already been fixed.

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...
I just have a question about pivoting.

I'm a huge fan of melee pivoting. The 1 frame window in dash dancing animation where there's a neutral standing frame when any non-dashing action can be done.

But I know Brawl has different pivoting functions entirely built into the game. Where turning around while running has special physics and even 'pivot-grab' animations.

How does it work in P:M?

Beorn4200

Smash Apprentice
T_T doesn't this make the one cool new tech he got that's not in melee ( low bomb dropping) Useless?

Have you guys looked into giving dropped bombs hit bubbles? like zeldas side-b? That would make this tech pretty damn cool, and give him more of what he's good at... frame traps, and projectile spam.

All of this + Is there a reason why he can't pull three bombs like in melee? This would also make low bomb dropping more effective and make him more fun to play.

SuperHappyCow

Banned via Warnings
Yep. That's why we should take this opportunity to improve upon the mechanic and make it look like it actually belongs in the game.
Same thing I've complained about with strafe jumping in Quake for ages. It was originally a glitch, but it's what made the game. Make it look like it fit, and people will understand it, rather than demonizing it.

Ecks

Smash Lord
Is giving wavedash custom animation even possible? Wouldn't that also change the landing animation(at least for special fall)?

:phone:

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord

The thing is though, how can you make a character sliding along a stage look organic?

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
Brawl has a limit of two bombs. We will change it if we can.

I would think if you could limit stuff like snakes gernades down to 1 I would imagine the same and or opposite should be almost the same for Link depending on where his speciallw and specialairlw are at. I think Link's is 1DF and 1DE for subactions and 115 is where his special actions are. I'm not really sure if theres more to it but those are what I found. Just not sure what you would need to change and also the fact that SpecialAirLW doesn't really have much info other than to run a certian offset. so idk if that would be fixable or not.

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...
I just have a question about pivoting.

I'm a huge fan of melee pivoting. The 1 frame window in dash dancing animation where there's a neutral standing frame when any non-dashing action can be done.

But I know Brawl has different pivoting functions entirely built into the game. Where turning around while running has special physics and even 'pivot-grab' animations.

How does it work in P:M?
Reposting my Q...

I love pivots. :p

Cero

Smash Lord
EDIT: ****. Double post. Sorry. :(

But they'd need to retain an upright, forward facing pose, since they can act as if idle out of it.
Good point.

The animation could be something quick and has early IASA frames. It could be something simple like hopping back or a quick dash forward. The traditional slide can then follow if the character's wavedash is long enough (like Luigi's).

Rikana

Smash Champion
Make everyone slide on their head like luigi once did before the animation edit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom