• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
So are the high tier melee characters going to closely resemble their counterparts? And I hear ganon is being changed... why? D: Keep the melee ganon, he was actually tourny viable...

The King Of Hearts

Smash Journeyman
So are the high tier melee characters going to closely resemble their counterparts? And I hear ganon is being changed... why? D: Keep the melee ganon, he was actually tourny viable...
please keep to topic...
current topic is toon link and young link moves and how they could hybrid into a better character.

To ease your mind... ganon is extremely viable now and please dont go off topic.
Yes melee characters are like melee characters.
post your concerns and please no arguments. This is a family friendly board.

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: im being a dumass

On topic, I thought toon link was overall a more complete character, but with melee mechanics and physics... how would his up b work O.o Young Link's taunt was OP though.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
look, i don't want to see this thread locked again because of responses to trolls. forget this guy, and post when you have something to say about the topic at hand, or something.

as for me, yeah, the TL bair is definitely superior. it's also a very seamless change in a melee styled environment. i'm a little fuzzy, though, on how overall he's going to be dealt with. seems to already be pretty far into development, but is everything finalized now?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
That is a Brawl+ video as the title clearly states. Watch something recent and with Project M in the title.

Sheik is essentially identical to her Melee incarnation.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
May I toss weird ideas around?

The first would be an easter egg for Link / Toon Link. You know,in the original Zelda games, when you could shoot arrow-bombs using the arrow and bomb at the same time? I thought it would be a funny new option if Link/Toon could take a bomb, then when shooting with their arrow, could shoot his bomb.

I'm also not sure we should modify Toon Link into Young Link, but instead, if the clone engine works, make an update with a Young Link downloadable?

It matters little to me, I don't play them often.

JOE!

Smash Hero
@Vigilante:

Having both Toon Link and Young Link would be kinda odd, as thered then be 3 variations of the same guy, with little difference bwteen the smaller versions.

Speaking of, between the attacks that they share (so not stuff like different Bair or Up B working different), what are the differences between TL and YL's movesets?

The King Of Hearts

Smash Journeyman
May I toss weird ideas around?

The first would be an easter egg for Link / Toon Link. You know,in the original Zelda games, when you could shoot arrow-bombs using the arrow and bomb at the same time? I thought it would be a funny new option if Link/Toon could take a bomb, then when shooting with their arrow, could shoot his bomb.

I'm also not sure we should modify Toon Link into Young Link, but instead, if the clone engine works, make an update with a Young Link downloadable?

It matters little to me, I don't play them often.
We got fire arrows... Toon link also has to be melee viable before any ideas for the clone engine.
Btw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJeJyKh0wFk Young Link still has awhile to go... he still has a lot of glitches. I think it would be better to discuss the additional characters after Melee 2nd Impact comes out which will lead to Melee 3rd strike <3

It would be sweet if toonlink gets some ice arrows to <3

But T vs Y down smash.. that is tuff...T link could combo and Y link was good KB

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Fair enough, Joe. I merely prefer the Young Link design over the Toon Link design. Moves barely matter to me at this point, XD.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
does anybody else feel that Ganon's darkness on fair should go? it's not that big of a deal but...

i just feel like the gfx is too "strong" as in it can get in the way (just like Lucario's aura on all of his attacks)
it might have been fine in vBrawl but put it in a fast Melee paced game and things might become hard to see

if anything maybe make it so it's not so noticeable but hey.......Melee Ganon didn't seem to need it to **** :p

just my opinion

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
We got fire arrows... Toon link also has to be melee viable before any ideas for the clone engine.
Btw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJeJyKh0wFk Young Link still has awhile to go... he still has a lot of glitches. I think it would be better to discuss the additional characters after Melee 2nd Impact comes out which will lead to Melee 3rd strike <3

It would be sweet if toonlink gets some ice arrows to <3

But T vs Y down smash.. that is tuff...T link could combo and Y link was good KB
What is melee 2nd impact?

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Speaking of, between the attacks that they share (so not stuff like different Bair or Up B working different), what are the differences between TL and YL's movesets?
YL's dair does not stall then fall and has a 'firespike' hitbox a little after the first, upward hitting hitbox appears.

AAA, as with Melee Link's, could go into a rapid fire thousand stabs attack based on button timing

YL's D-tilt meteors where TL's semi spikes

F-tilt hits sideways instead of whatever that weird angle TL's does.

D-smash grass cutter hits outward on both hits instead of linking together

U-smash, asside from being three hit instead of one, hits sideways near the end of the last swing

Zair has longer range (Affirmation requested), but as with all grapples is not very good in general.

YL's bombs are multihit and /cover a slightly larger range than TL's (Affirmation requested)/

YL's fire arrows move faster but arc sooner and hit with more stun. As far as I can tell YL can act sooner out of them as well.

YL's boomerang moves faster and can be thrown "behind" him by aiming straight down when on the ground.

While TL's up-B has auto link hitboxs, YL's hits behind him from the front and in front of him from the back, making it ground lock an opponent on missed tech and toss an aerial opponent too the ground. In the air, rather than auto linking, YL just does a lot of tiny hits.

Throws probably have a lot different stats, and maybe f/u-tilt

Anyone else want to add in in terms of move knockback and angle?

D

Deleted member

Kaizo13 said:
does anybody else feel that Ganon's darkness on fair should go? it's not that big of a deal but...

i just feel like the gfx is too "strong" as in it can get in the way (just like Lucario's aura on all of his attacks)
it might have been fine in vBrawl but put it in a fast Melee paced game and things might become hard to see

if anything maybe make it so it's not so noticeable but hey.......Melee Ganon didn't seem to need it to ****

just my opinion
I can see where you're coming from with this. I'd agree it is aesthetically different and unnecessary to do some of these effects upon moves.

The current explosion on Bowser's fsmash and Mario's dual electric/fire fsmash come to mind as being unnecessary and unpolished.

However it helps build the flavor of the character to add in a few effects. Ganon's effects were implemented well imo. Lucario's aura being graphically removed on some of his moves looks nicer than it does in vBrawl.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
GFXs are fine aslong as they don't interfere with gameplay (i personally think the game would look more professional with as little unnecessary effects)

sure effects can bring some "oooh's" and "aahh's" but on the competitive scene, i'm positive players would rather be able to see their opponents every move

Ibuprofen

Smash Rookie
As someone whose interest in the Smash Bros. series fell dramatically after the (in my opinion) disappointing release of Brawl, seeing something like Project M being made by dedicated members of the community is fantastic. I registered on here just to express my thanks to the developers, you guys are awesome.

So with that aside, just a couple questions. I'm sorry if these have been asked, but I don't want to read through roughly 1500 pages of posts searching for the answers.

1) How's Ganondorf looking in this? He was always my personal favorite in Melee and I'm curious to see what's been done to him.
2) Is there a changelist available detailing what's been done to each character, stage, etc. so far? The FAQ gives a general idea but it'd be nice to see more. If there isn't though that's fine, it's in closed beta still so it'd be understandable.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Ganondorf is amazing. He's seriously one of my most favorite characters in this. He's got all of his tricks from Melee (With the exception of landing detection-based things, as well as anything that relied on the old Gerudo Dragon.. The Choke is way cooler for tricks, though. Don't worry a bit about him. :)

A changelist will be released when we release. Otherwise, you just sorta have to follow the hype thread.

Also I note you're from Portland. If you wanna play some time, just get in touch with me. :) That'll give you a real idea of what the game is about.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
As someone whose interest in the Smash Bros. series fell dramatically after the (in my opinion) disappointing release of Brawl, seeing something like Project M being made by dedicated members of the community is fantastic. I registered on here just to express my thanks to the developers, you guys are awesome.

So with that aside, just a couple questions. I'm sorry if these have been asked, but I don't want to read through roughly 1500 pages of posts searching for the answers.

1) How's Ganondorf looking in this? He was always my personal favorite in Melee and I'm curious to see what's been done to him.

Ganondorf is effectively exactly the same as Melee with Brawl's side B. He even has Melee runnning animation

2) Is there a changelist available detailing what's been done to each character, stage, etc. so far? The FAQ gives a general idea but it'd be nice to see more. If there isn't though that's fine, it's in closed beta still so it'd be understandable.

There is no official changelist because there are constant tweaks here and there between any two backroom builds.

Answers in bold italics

Ibuprofen

Smash Rookie
Ganondorf is amazing. He's seriously one of my most favorite characters in this. He's got all of his tricks from Melee (With the exception of landing detection-based things, as well as anything that relied on the old Gerudo Dragon.. The Choke is way cooler for tricks, though. Don't worry a bit about him. :)

A changelist will be released when we release. Otherwise, you just sorta have to follow the hype thread.

Also I note you're from Portland. If you wanna play some time, just get in touch with me. :) That'll give you a real idea of what the game is about.
That's awesome, both the Ganondorf part and the offer. If my studies at UP ever manage to let up next semester I'll make sure to let you know.

Ibuprofen, here is an example of Gannondorf in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnPIsz7xTLw

:)

Zelda seems fairly strong in Project M, so you can say he's holding hs own fairly well.
Thanks for the video!

Seeing him in action there makes me excited, and it's especially nice to see the double jump regain after Wizard's Foot come back. If I'm remembering correctly that was removed in vBrawl right? It's just nice to see him not be horribly, horribly gimped like he is in vBrawl haha

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
That's awesome, both the Ganondorf part and the offer. If my studies at UP ever manage to let up next semester I'll make sure to let you know.
Right on. I'm basically right on the Portland State campus, so it's pretty easy to get to.

And yes, the double jump refresh was removed in Brawl for both him and Falcon, and both are brought back.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Yeah, Brawl removed the DJ regain after Wizard's Foot. Ganondorf is fantastic in P:M with a slight inherited buff to his recovery (the final swing at the end of his Up B) and techchase-inducing Flame Choke mixed in with his very solid Melee movset.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I think the problem with my area is that most of us speak French as a first language, so they might not go to this English forum. Which is why I promote it in French.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude

Just some tests for stock icons. I decided I'd post them here since I heard of complaints about the current ones and I'm curious if these will work out nice. If you're wondering where I got the base icon, it's called InfMgKumite01. I have no idea what it does, but I ended up using that, recoloring it, and resizing it for stocks.

Sora Master2.0

Smash Journeyman
Just wondering, please don't troll me, I'm sure theres been some disscussion of Ganon and his sword. What conclusion did we come to?

Some other things:

Are we going to change any of Ganons moves like w/ DK having his DKC roll?
How was the most recent build, did you guys enjoy it?
And maybe a list of final/semi finalized characters? Please don't attack me, I just got into Project M after taking 2 years to realize how much better it is than Bawlz.
EDIT: I think I saw a few of these answered. If they were just please ignore the ones that were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom