• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
BAD. I'm sorry, but we have an irreconcilable difference of opinion in the design of this project. I also apologize that not every member of this thread can keep up a strictly professional exchange.

With that said, you have made your point and we've made note of it. You and everyone else in this thread would do well to cease flaming and move on.

Cheers.

BAD

Smash Apprentice
You clearly don't have an idea of what you're talking about. The developers have said countless times that for the most part brawl characters won't fit well in a melee environment due to a variety of things.

They aren't trying to make a pure offensive game...

People call you a troll because you deny and ignore any logical arguments and if you didn't ignore or deny what was said you twist it into something they didn't say, much like a troll. You seem incapable of understanding even the most basic logic.
No, it seems like anyone who has a nay-say about any changes to this game is considered a troll. I understand that some Brawl characters won't fit well in a Melee environment, but to go so far as to make this many changes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXiIA91_DEQ

Really, you need to go THAT far to make Lucario viable in a Melee environment? Even Zelda? Really?

SHeLL said:
BAD. I apologize that we have a difference of opinion in the design of this project. I also apologize that not every member of this thread can keep up a strictly professional exchange.

With that said, you have made your point and we've made note of it. You and everyone else in this thread would do well to cease flaming and move on.

Cheers.
K

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
No, it seems like anyone who has a nay-say about any changes to this game is considered a troll. I understand that some Brawl characters won't fit well in a Melee environment, but to go so far as to make this many changes:

Really, you need to go THAT far to make Lucario viable in a Melee environment? Even Zelda? Really?

K

No one cares.

The development team are perfectly in their right to ignore your opinion and treat you like trash. What are you going to do about it?

Not download their free-ware mod? Yeah, that'll show 'em! :awesome:
BAD. I apologize that we have a difference of opinion in the design of this project. I also apologize that not every member of this thread can keep up a strictly professional exchange.

Cheers.
Just stop. You aren't helping anyone.

Slashy

Smash Lord
At least stop being ***-holes to people that have concerns for the game you are making. You insulting us proves that you guys are not open to criticism to your game and will only drive us away. The fact that we are even concerned about your game shows that we have interest in it. Don't treat us as the enemy and tell us to put our foot in out mouths.

Seriously, WTF?

You'll start respecting this game more if you treat it as an expansion sequel rather than a true sequel.

Melee to Project:M is analogous to Street Fighter 3 to Street Fighter 3: Third Strike

It's a sequel to that specific installment rather than the whole series. If you're looking for a mod that acts more like a faithful sequel to the Smash series as a whole, then I'll direct you to Brawl Minus.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
BAD, they've already made it clear that they value creativity over replicating the actual game, a~la Brawl+. There's nothing we can do about it, sadly.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
You are aware of the huge double standard in this post right?
Those that take risks are always those that succeed.

And since there's no money in this, a little bit of success means nothing, so playing it safe is pointless.
BAD, they've already made it clear that they value creativity over replicating the actual game, a~la Brawl+. There's nothing we can do about it, sadly.
An interesting mashup of your quotes for you to ponder.

Slashy

Smash Lord
Melee...heck the smash series in general didn't follow any template for making movesets. There is no guideline as to what attacks characters must have and must not have. Sakurai and his team used their own creativity to create many of the movesets, same with Shanus and the rest of the PM:BR.

If you're looking for movesets more faithful to Brawl and to the characters' origins, then I again redirect you to Brawl Minus.

Also, in Brawl Plus it was practically a MISSION STATEMENT to remain faithful to Brawl when necessary. In Project:M, the idea is to remain faithful to Melee, unless the changes from Brawl are improvements. It's a tossup between Brawl Plus and Balanced Brawl as to which had the LEAST amount of creativity behind it.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
And context means everything, since I was referring to how the back room operates, not what the back room operates on.

But we all know taking quotes out of context and using it against them is how people really argue in the year 2010 ;)

The Phenom

Smash Lord
It saddens me a bit to see some of us arguing against the P:M development team =' l
---------
lol, This morning for work I saw a shooting star and looked at my cell phone for the time...there was a 9 on the time...similar to lasts weeks shooting star with a nine, expect it was a date and not the time; 12-9-10.

CLASS OF 2009!!!

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I think Stingers has legit points and its sad that people are so rude and cold in response. Why can't people be more open minded to knew ideas/constructive criticism? Maybe Stingers has a reputation that I'm unaware of that could explain some of the reception he has received, but I've not noticed anything significant in the months I've followed this thread closely. (At the same time though, he's now being just as bad). Speaking of which, "Bad" on the other hand is uninformed and hard to read... maybe if he had a previous history of investment in this game and was more mature about his complaints... Idk. In general, people should try to be more mature :/.

Also, here is a quote from a previous post where I carefully tried to voice just some of my concerns. It's unfortunate that it sometimes feels like stepping on glass shards with some of the more opinionated and stubborn personalities on this thread.

Hmm.... as interesting as those stages are, I think there ought to be more character representation in the PM stage hacks...

I'm not going to go over all the characters and they're level of stage representation, but I know I've mentioned Ganon needing a Ganon-esque stage. There are other game series that only have one stage for multiple characters or a stage that doesn't really seem to suit a character aesthetically. Ideally, imo, there would be a stage suited for every character... but that's prone to heavy interpretation as to what constitutes "suitable" and it would somewhat detract from the largely more important task of stage balancing.

(Speaking of balance... and now to go off on this tangent, xD)
As an aside, I just want to remind people that not every stage has to be neutral or even a clear counterpick... obviously, most of them should be however. People want balance and fairness to be sure, but I notice a trend among those that put an especially strong emphasis on this in regards to characters, stages, or anything really... and that's a tendancy towards "sameness" or a lack of variety. Just as an example that has been expressed before... As much as I think having all the characters "meleefied" is an awesome thing, I also worry about characters falling back or even newly into "clonedom". I see the same thing happen when people try to neutralize stages - a lot of times I can see the stage slowly becoming Battlefield as people explain where platforms should be to balance the stage, lol. Making stuff more similar allows balance to be achieved easier, granted, but I hope there is also special attention paid to keeping things various. Just some observations.

Edit...
@FrozenHobo: "Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays" :p
Again, there's no reason to take offense to constructive criticism. It's never my personal intention for that to be the result :/

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I do like that this project leaves in some user friendly options seen from Brawl+.

-Automatic L-Canceling (optional, not hardcoded into the PACs, from what I heard)
nope.
as an option for outside-of-tourney-use only
-Backwards ledge-grabbing
not unless you're in specialfall
-Tether recoveries snap to ledge (or so I heard)
only because we can't fix it

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Man, this thread has gotten crazy over the last couple of hours.

All I need to say is...

You should probably give GW's Brawl recovery back. No offense Shanus, but regardless of the buffs he's gotten so far, I think he's gonna need it to stand a chance :laugh:

The way I think of it... take away Peach's parasol recovery. Now compare her moveset to GW's right now. Peach ****s on him (from what I could tell at least, don't kill me). So if Peach can have that recovery in the game, why shouldn't GW (since they're basically the same)?

Also, the devs are doing an awesome job so far. The amount of **** they've done to this game (fixing throws, di, soon landing detection) deserves applause. They clearly know what they're doing, and I have faith that the final product will be fantastic.

Metal B

Smash Journeyman

I also have to admit, that this Zelda play-style looks really strange. In Melee and Brawl Zelda was a strong and slow fighter and in this way a opposite tp Shiek. Now, it looks like you changed her into a trap-sytle character. The problem is that a trap should be a hidden mind-game, not a spamfest. The video looks like the Zelda-player has no reason to not spam the attack. Thats not what i think, if i see the character Zelda fighting.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
I can think of a lot of reasons not to spam an attack that doesn't activate for several seconds.

The only reason Lucario didn't do better in the beginning was because he was trying charge up and out camp Zelda... which is not how you fight against Zelda.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
bleh, buffing recoveries? there has to be a better way...

also, if i ever need a professional debate, i'm calling P:M for aid. pretty ****ing civil. no denying it.

also also, inception is just as good the second and a half time around. yessss

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
We haven't seem how Zelda will behave in a real tourney metagame.

Do not call her a trap type character only because of a few videos. Din's fire has a new utility, but IMO it's far to look like her main qualities of gameplay.

She's slow and strong, Din's Fire isn't a projectile that can be spammed well. The move is timed and won't stop the opponent advancing unless you predict where he will be.

Besides, a Din's Fire takes some time to use, and a din's fire done near, is a very weak one.

G

genkaku

Holy carp that was a lot of reading for nothing. I don't enjoy reading such fanciful and long winded arguments doomed to naught but bad tempers from the start every time someone with an objection to PM shows up.

I will say, however, that I do enjoy how PM is the first smash game specifically made for competitive level play. It's fantastic.

Also, Dantarion and monkunit are bad anus.

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
I can think of a lot of reasons not to spam an attack that doesn't activate for several seconds.
Well, it doesn't look like this in the video and have no other sources to compare this. Doesn't change the fact, that it just dont looks like the character Zelda fighting.
What is the stance for this in the project? Interesting ideas before characterisation? Properly also a big problem of the original designers of the game.

Sora Master2.0

Smash Journeyman
Um, sorry to just come out of no where, but do we have a changelist for Mario...and about the vB, are we changing it or fixing FLUDD? If we decide to keep FLUDD, I think one of it's overall problems seem to be not how much water is shot, but for how long it lasts...just a thought.

Revven

FrankerZ
Well, it doesn't look like this in the video and have no other sources to compare this. Doesn't change the fact, that it just dont looks like the character Zelda fighting.
What is the stance for this in the project? Interesting ideas before characterisation? Properly also a big problem of the original designers of the game.
Go to Magus420's channel and watch his Zelda. Then come back to this thread and tell me if you think the same way as you do now.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
There was a post like 2(?) pages back about a minor graphical change making the explosion on Luigi's misfire bigger. Any response to that?

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Camelot added some green fire and smoke GFX to the normal and misfire side-Bs months ago. Do you think the misfire still needs more pizazz?

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
About G&W recovery. I think it should be just like it is. However, I think nair should have a short float - maybe only if you held A - and a strong hitbox only on activation. This way, G&W could have the option to float after upB still, but it wouldn't be the default. Assuming he can still attack out of his upB - can't remember if he can still attack out of his upB. Anyways, just an idea.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
i've never wanted to punch so many people in the face

this Project is 100% en route.....devs shouldn't have to reply to idiots that come in here degrading them and their work. criticism is one thing but you guys are just full of bull****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom