• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Is Brawl+ Melee 2.0?
No.

Can I call this Melee 2.0?
Yes.
Derp.

10derps.

Also, you're taking the whole "1:1 Melee clone" thing severely out of perspective. It means they aren't replicating every Melee veteran to be exactly how they were in Melee because that would again leave an unbalanced roster which goes against another major point of this project. Another thing is that while physics are going to be almost perfectly replicated, new features like RAR and a stronger AGT are present now and will not be removed.

BAD

Smash Apprentice
Just as planned.
So when SSB4 comes out with old characters that have new movesets like Falco, are you guys just going to be like:

"What this character is different from the last game! I HATE THIS!!! I know, let's hack him back to his old version from 2001, because I hate change."

Sterowent

Smash Ace
edit: ^ d'ohoho

you could tell he was a troll from the start, but the least he could have done was try harder. bleh, i'ma go watch inception.

BAD

Smash Apprentice
Stupid troll is stupid. Just ignore him.
I have a legitimate complaint about the way you guys are handling this project and you guys call me a troll? So any negative feedback you guys get makes someone a troll?

I ain't trollin' son, I am just pointing out a dislike that I have with you guys changing the game from Brawl to something else entirely your own game.

jalued

Smash Lord
It also states that this isn't suppose to be Melee 2.0, but Brawl with the same physics as Melee for rich gameplay.
Keeping character movesets similer to brawl will not create "rich gameplay", because they have been created around more slow paced, and more defensive physics. If you introduced most brawl characters into melee physics with only minor changes, or even buffing their brawl stratergies, it still would not match up to any of the top tier melee characters that play so smoothly.

The essence of the brawl characters has to be captured in this project, which they are. Don't think that they want to completely change how every character works, falco was an exception since his melee self is loved by so many players. So for example, Lucas was given significant buffs that allow him to keep up with melee characters, including DJC and a new neutral B, powerup.

Without these meleefying changes, the brawl cast would feel sluggish and unsuited to project: melee, and hence the game could never hope to be as fun or as balanced as possible.

The changes given to the brawl characters are not because they are not liked, but that they are loved so much they deserve to be as fun and dangerous as the melee elite.

Serious reply^^

shanus

Smash Hero
I have a legitimate complaint about the way you guys are handling this project and you guys call me a troll? So any negative feedback you guys get makes someone a troll?

I ain't trollin' son, I am just pointing out a dislike that I have with you guys changing the game from Brawl to something else entirely your own game.
We have a ton of people who are excited with what our project offers. If this isn't for you, I'm sorry, because different people have different tastes. With that said, 99% of the brawlified cast wouldn't work in a melee environment, and we know that first hand whereas you do not. Our tests dictate our design choices, and I can say I know we've made the correct decisions. if you disagree with them, we aren't forcing you to play it.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
@BAD

in competitive fighting games, it is important to have a golden standard to base characters off of. we know for a fact that melee falco, fox, marth, jiggs, etc are working, tested and true designs of characters within the melee fighting game genre. their playstyles have stood the test of time of almost (or more?) 6 years. this gives us a a pretty good idea of who's playstyles work, and who's don't. think of it this way - falco/fox/marth are essentially the ken/ryu/chun of street fighter (not in that order or comparable), yes those characters have been altered a bit every iteration, yes they have moved around on their tierlists in different games, but their base gameplay is still there- can you imagine ryu without his hadouken? chunli without her kicks? that's the same as falco with no shine. with ryu/ken/chun/zangief as known functioning playstyles/movesets, the devs at capcom have a better way to base their new characters and gameplay mechanics around since they have a nice bundle of characters that function within the little world they've created.

if we kept falco/fox/marth the way they are in brawl and just slapped on melee mechanics, not only would the metagame of those characters have to be completely relearned, but the metagame of melee itself would be gone. since PM is going to be very faithful to melee's mechanics and core gameplay, there's no reason for us to abandon what falco,fox,marth,jiggs,etc players have learned over the past 6 years.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar

You come here out of nowhere, blatantly ignore and misquote our mission statement to try to bend it in your favor, and demand that we radically change the way we've been designing the game for almost a year simply because you don't agree with our methods. Well tough ****. You're vastly outnumbered here. Why don't you try another mod if you don't like this one? I hear Unstoppabrawl is looking for followers.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
@BAD

in competitive fighting games, it is important to have a golden standard to base characters off of. we know for a fact that melee falco, fox, marth, jiggs, etc are working, tested and true designs of characters within the melee fighting game genre. their playstyles have stood the test of time of almost (or more?) 6 years. this gives us a a pretty good idea of who's playstyles work, and who's don't. think of it this way - falco/fox/marth are essentially the ken/ryu/chun of street fighter (not in that order or comparable), yes those characters have been altered a bit every iteration, yes they have moved around on their tierlists in different games, but their base gameplay is still there- can you imagine ryu without his hadouken? chunli without her kicks? that's the same as falco with no shine. with ryu/ken/chun/zangief as known functioning playstyles/movesets, the devs at capcom have a better way to base their new characters and gameplay mechanics around since they have a nice bundle of characters that function within the little world they've created.

if we kept falco/fox/marth the way they are in brawl and just slapped on melee mechanics, not only would the metagame of those characters have to be completely relearned, but the metagame of melee itself would be gone. since PM is going to be very faithful to melee's mechanics and core gameplay, there's no reason for us to abandon what falco,fox,marth,jiggs,etc players have learned over the past 6 years.
Quoted so more people may read.

Stevo

Smash Champion
If luigi could charge and store his misfire he could always have one ready to recover with unless we made the charge length prohibitively long. In that case, it would just be a nerf to his recovery.
I see your point. And he would not have one ready to recover with at all in other situations.
It would mean he would HAVE to use it though if he wanted to use his f-b recovery.

Yea, ok, I agree being able to charge and store his misfire would not be a good idea, but I'm not sold on the other idea yet either. I can see Luigi spamming forward B after he gets a kill and it just doesn't seem to fit....

Could it be that whenever you DONT get a misfire, it increases the chances to have one after that a little more. Sort of like bringing the gamblers fallacy to a reality.
1/8 chance to misfire, then 1/7 after 1 not misfire, 1/6 chance after 2 not misfire, etc. You couldnt use it to improve your chances necessarily because you might just get a misfire.

Actually, come to think of it, what is the goal of changing the forward-b? To improve recovery, or simply to remove randomness. Obviously, my new suggestion would only work for the former.

how much random is really in the game? Peach, DDD, Luigi, G&W. Anythign else?

BAD

Smash Apprentice

Darkshooter

Smash Ace
@BAD

Nicely done.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Keep the randomness. It's been in since 64. Why all of a sudden change it now? They weren't changed in Melee, so why change it if this game is essentially a Melee clone?
Funny thing, SHeLL clearly stated that this was an experiment with Luigi and was the only random move being considered for a change, likely because it affects both his recover and direct offensive options.

BAD

Smash Apprentice
Funny thing, SHeLL clearly stated that this was an experiment with Luigi and was the only random move being considered for a change, likely because it affects both his recover and direct offensive options.
K, I still say you shouldn't change the randomness of the move. That I think is going overboard.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
K, I still say you shouldn't change the randomness of the move. That I think is going overboard.
I just said why it's not a bad idea to change the Misfire. The randomness leaves absolutely no planning for the move when either recovering or attacking unlike every other character that has a random move (usually because they're projectiles or moves that don't move you). And if you think that's going overboard, you honestly should leave.

BAD

Smash Apprentice
I just said why it's not a bad idea to change the Misfire. The randomness leaves absolutely no planning for the move when either recovering or attacking unlike every other character that has a random move (usually because they're projectiles or moves that don't move you). And if you think that's going overboard, you honestly should leave.
So what if that's part of his recovery? He still has his DownB and UpB to recover. There are other ways to balance Luigi out than giving him a predictable overpowered SideB.

Also, changing the randomness of the game is overboard. You should leave for not thinking so.....

See I can do it too!!

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
As I've said, it's more than just eliminating randomness, it's about giving Luigi a very interesting choice -- save my misfire to recover when I need it, or use it as a strong kill move?

Even if you're iffy about this idea, the first time you see a dirty weegee combo into side-B kill you will fall in love.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Also, changing the randomness of the game is overboard. You should leave for not thinking so.....

See I can do it too!!
That was neither clever nor relevant. I said that because much more significantly bigger changes (and solidified ones for that matter, unlike this which was an experiment) have taken place which would probably offset you far more (like the entirety of this project, which you're really not going to get your way with) than just a partial removal of one instance of randomness in one move on one character.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Fully charged misfire shield break. Hyesz!

@BAD

You should be the person that gets interviewed like the situation where you got interviewed for Brawl+. Make sure you get your suit and tie ready for your webcam shots.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
I admit that at first I was like OMG CHANGING THE RANDOM FACTOR ZOMG WTF SHELL I HATE YOU!
But honestly, side+b is a move most players will rarely use in melee or brawl as an attack, mostly because even if you hit wit it...just about nothing happens.

Luigi is far from high tier, and a better side+b could be the thing that makes him a little more fun and interesting to play as.

Oh, BTW, SHeLL, have you tried letting luigi keep ground momentum while charging side+B?

WD+LowTraction+Charging+Misfire = DONT ROLL DONT SPOTDODGE ZOMG HES GONNA KILL YOU

how is mewtwo a joke character if pichu is? I can kind of see roy, seeing as he is a clone, but mewtwo? Besides being low tier there's nothing that makes him a joke character.
pichu is top tier

The King Of Hearts

Smash Journeyman
So what if that's part of his recovery? He still has his DownB and UpB to recover. There are other ways to balance Luigi out than giving him a predictable overpowered SideB.

See I can do it too!!
Kid, Ive been reading your stuff and your claiming yourself not to be a troll. First of all you need to stop double posting,watch what you say, and stop bringing that attitude. This is a fairly fun and decent thread on PM and were usually kind to each other and new people coming in, but we have a ton of trolls coming in and the first thing you do is start miscuing the first post and accusing us for changing so on so things... How do you think were going to react?
Dont take all our stuff as negative because most of us are being informative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXiIA91_DEQ (check out more of his vids)
Heres my favorite change, Dins fire now being timed opens loads of new possibilities for mindgames and set ups against her opponent plus someone experienced and fancy enough could combo with them.

Lucario is now a very viable character, although he doesn't have his aura brought up by damage, He can now power up his aura through down B for a short period of time. It also serves some MG due to an intimidating creature on pulsating blue fire is charging at you. Charging his aura in the air floats you a little bit. Also, you dont have to depend on lucario getting damage to get stronger because hes already at decent strength compared with other characters.

The changes are minor but they compliment the character and their play style to a higher degree then what brawl has done with them. Weve all been in the smash tournament scene a long time and we know the speel and luckily we have a great team busting this out like D cup with edible panties... delish <3

Oh yea with the random spurts o luigis misfire.... All the luigis mains I know rather plan their sideB out.... then when they need it... pray for a misfire XD It can make that possible.

BAD

Smash Apprentice
That was neither clever nor relevant.
Neither was your post.

Gamedominator06 said:
I said that because much more significantly bigger changes (and solidified ones for that matter, unlike this which was an experiment) have taken place which would probably offset you far more (like the entirety of this project, which you're really not going to get your way with) than just a partial removal of one instance of randomness in one move on one character.
I understand the bigger changes being made to turn Brawl into a Melee clone. Changing randomness of moves is unnecessary however, which is what I am trying to point out.

Also, WTF is up with you people thinking I want to change the direction of this project. I never posted:

"I WANT THIS **** CHANGED NOW!!!! CHANGE THIS **** OR I WILL NOT PLAY!!! I DEMAND IT!!!!"

All I did was post a complaint and you people went ape-**** and think I want to take control of this project. Let's get some things straight since you people like to assume things about me:

1. I am not trying to "change" or "demand" that you make this game the way I want it.
2. I was only making a complaint out of concern that you guys were changing some characters that didn't need to be changed (Wario).

Seriously, you guys get upset like I insulted your religion or ***** your family. Next time I won't post any complaints I have about your game since you guys are incapable of handling criticism.

shanus

Smash Hero
Whats most funny is its fans defending our decisions and not the project developers themselves. Should give you the realization that most of your complaints are strictly due to personal preference...

BAD

Smash Apprentice
Whats most funny is its fans defending our decisions and not the project developers themselves. Should give you the realization that most of your complaints are strictly due to personal preference...
That's because you take the majority of your fans decisions and implement them in the game. If everybody complained how you changed Falco's DownB to the one in Melee, even you developers would change it due to your fans.

Think about, no one would play your game if you didn't take the majority of your fans requests since this is after all, a fan made game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom