• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revven

FrankerZ
So from that, I'm sitting here wondering "Well gee. Look at what they did to Falco in particular. He no longer throws his shine and his combos all work the same way they do in melee. He is nothing like his brawl counter part. But whereas Toon Link still doesn't really play like Young Link does(mainly his projectiles, which pretty much makes up Young Link) and from where I'm seeing things, you guys don't really have any intentions to make him like Young Link.

Just wanna hear you guy's thoughts about this. =)
We're making his projectiles like YL's... we just hadn't gotten to it yet so I don't understand why you think everything we've picked for TL/YL hybrid was/is final. Everything is subject to change so, if TL/YL hybrid doesn't work at all fine, we'll make him all YL. It doesn't hurt to try it, does it? Mario/Doc hybrid works pretty well.

As far as I know, you haven't even played the most up to date Project M so... um... I think you should before commenting on how TL plays nothing like YL atm.

Laijin

Smash Hero
As far as I know, you haven't even played the most up to date Project M so... um... I think you should before commenting on how TL plays nothing like YL atm.
Oh yea..I kinda forgot to do that.
Pretty important I suppose before making comments.
Is there anyway I can get the most up to date Project M without registering(Since it seems you have to wait awhile..=\)?

Edit: I based all of my knowledge about TL from what others have told me about him(Since they have played the most up to date P:M. So I'm not completely just throwing out random statements without any knowledge at all about the character

Revven

FrankerZ
Edit: I based all of my knowledge about TL from what others have told me about him(Since they have played the most up to date P:M. So I'm not completely just throwing out random statements without any knowledge at all about the character
Oh yeah, I mean if you heard from word of mouth about how he plays I guess you could make some statements. But it's not really your own opinion, you're mostly just restating what someone else just said (which we've already read mind you). Because of the recent comments about TL/YL we've already started taking measures to make his projectiles work like YL's (there's some odd stuff going on with his bombs though but we're trying our best). Does that at least lower your concern at all?

I'm not trying to shut out your opinion or anything but you really, really, need to have your own formed opinion on it based on a recent build. Be it from playing it with someone who has it that lives in your area or applying to be a playtester (which by the way, doesn't take awhile anymore loooool).

Don't mean to sound like a jerk at all of course.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, I mean if you heard from word of mouth about how he plays I guess you could make some statements. But it's not really your own opinion, you're mostly just restating what someone else just said (which we've already read mind you). Because of the recent comments about TL/YL we've already started taking measures to make his projectiles work like YL's (there's some odd stuff going on with his bombs though but we're trying our best). Does that at least lower your concern at all?

I'm not trying to shut out your opinion or anything but you really, really, need to have your own formed opinion on it based on a recent build. Be it from playing it with someone who has it that lives in your area or applying to be a playtester (which by the way, doesn't take awhile anymore loooool).

Don't mean to sound like a jerk at all of course.
Yea. Thanks. That does greatly lower my concern. =)
I'll just go ahead and brush the dust off my old copy of brawl and apply to be a playtester

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Camelot is working on Melee-ifying YL's projectiles right now.

We've gotten a lot of the key Melee moves worked into him as well, and soon we'll do direct Melee hitbox ports.

As for why we did hybrids, in addition to what JCaesar said, we also use it as a way of fleshing out character's play style, broadening their options rather than just further buffing the same strengths which already may not work in a given matchup.

The top tiers all have tools to play a variety of different ways, adapting to various opposing characters and play styles. The lower tiers still have some room for interpretation, but there is much more of a 'right' way to play the character.

For example, Donkey Kong has a few great moves, and he has to use all of those moves to play in an effective way. By buffing nair a bit we've given him a lower priority, but higher reward approach compared to Bair. Similarly, we made his jab combo a bit more effective with earlier an earlier IASA frame, making it a shorter range option compared to D-tilt, but again, higher reward. Additionally, we might buff his grab range slightly.

In Melee, if a character could shut down DK's bair he really had to work hard to overcome the matchup, so we fleshed out his other options, giving him tools against matchups where bair alone can't do the job (but still left most of his weaknesses intact).

I speak of DK because he's more polished than Young Link right now, but the principle is similar -- we want to expand the character's options a bit, and using some of Toon Link's best moves seemed like a good way to accomplish that as well as cater to Young Link users.

We are still refining Y. Link, though, and we would certainly be interested in your feedback. We've streamlined the application review process and it shouldn't take long to get into the PMBR if you'd care to help us out.

Laijin

Smash Hero
I'd love to help you guys out. =) Everybody wants this to be a great project and turn out very well.
Thanks for listening to my concerns and responding back in a detailed/respectful manner which addressed my concerns.

Ganoncide

Smash Cadet
Hope this will be better than Brawl+ :D But i was wondering if there were gonna be more melee stages? It'd be awesome to play in the Melee FD, Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi Story, or Dreamland Past Stages.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
We have versions of many of those stages in development thanks to Frozen Hobo and Game Watching, among others.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
There's no set release date.

However, with increasingly more melee's pros and TO's getting copies around the nation (and world!), there's a good chance you'll be able to play it in your area soon, if not now.

Revven

FrankerZ
An optional SFX pack (this is like the 10th time I've had to say this in this thread I swear) will be available on or around release for those who want Melee SFX.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
hybrid vs non - hybrid
I found it interesting reading this but when I thought about it. Technically nobody is going back 100% how they were right? Falco is keeping his Jab and jab combo and his Fair and I think uair...i don't remember. Falcon's keeping his brawl UpB/SideB. Kirby's getting changes, Ganon is keeping lots of his moves from brawl. Marth's SideB combo is faster like in brawl...idk some things are really little but for the most part everyone should be slightly different. Except maybe sheik lol.

I think it is a good thing since this is not just "Being made into melee" like some seem to think but is a continuation of melee. Melee 2

@Falco 400

you don't have to be so mean about answering questions. I understand it's annoying to answer the same question 10 times but they are asked by 10 different people who had no idea you answered it 10 times. I know you could always say "Just read the threads" but seriously....over 900 pages now nobody is that patient.

The fact is this project is swiftly and vastly gaining approval and popularity in the melee and even brawl community. Everyone wanted this and it's good to see that happening but with that comes more curiosity and questions. The only way I see fixing this is to update Smash mods. If you click on most names as of now you get a blank page. It's time consuming but IMO now is the time to update the site and then maybe start scheduled updates to generate hype. It could be similar to how brawl's pre-release updates went.

Otherwise just be prepared for the same questions every week :)

<3

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
Instead of it reading "Jcaesar's streaming 3rd post"
just have it say something along the lines of "closed alpha/ Everything is subject to change/all sounds and textures are optional" since those are so common

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
I found it interesting reading this but when I thought about it. Technically nobody is going back 100% how they were right? Falco is keeping his Jab and jab combo and his Fair and I think uair...i don't remember. Falcon's keeping his brawl UpB/SideB. Kirby's getting changes, Ganon is keeping lots of his moves from brawl. Marth's SideB combo is faster like in brawl...idk some things are really little but for the most part everyone should be slightly different. Except maybe sheik lol.

I think it is a good thing since this is not just "Being made into melee" like some seem to think but is a continuation of melee. Melee 2

@Falco 400

you don't have to be so mean about answering questions. I understand it's annoying to answer the same question 10 times but they are asked by 10 different people who had no idea you answered it 10 times. I know you could always say "Just read the threads" but seriously....over 900 pages now nobody is that patient.

The fact is this project is swiftly and vastly gaining approval and popularity in the melee and even brawl community. Everyone wanted this and it's good to see that happening but with that comes more curiosity and questions. The only way I see fixing this is to update Smash mods. If you click on most names as of now you get a blank page. It's time consuming but IMO now is the time to update the site and then maybe start scheduled updates to generate hype. It could be similar to how brawl's pre-release updates went.

Otherwise just be prepared for the same questions every week :)

<3
I think some of those changes just haven't gotten touched yet but will in the future... and um, there is a faq for a reason... alot of questions are answered there for people who don't want to read the whole thread

HoMaLoN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoMaLoN
RANDOM: You Know, It would be quite interest if you guy either mad jigglypuffs Sing better like give it a lil more radius around her or just give her a complete new move like what i seen you guys did to lucas or u can just live it the same and you can increase the speed of her song, shorten her lyrics or make it guard cancellable or something. Cuz for 3 games in the series and i still havent found a better use for sing beside the ledge where smart people would never fall for it

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
RANDOM: You Know, It would be quite interest if you guy either mad jigglypuffs Sing better like give it a lil more radius around her or just give her a complete new move like what i seen you guys did to lucas or u can just live it the same and you can increase the speed of her song, shorten her lyrics or make it guard cancellable or something. Cuz for 3 games in the series and i still havent found a better use for sing beside the ledge where smart people would never fall for it
My thoughts on buffing sing are:
• DEFINITELY increase range.
• POSSIBLY make it do something against aerial opponents.

EDIT: Also, don't make it cancellable and don't change the time it is out for imo. The move should only be useful as a "mind-game move" if you know what I mean. Opponents should only be put to sleep by careful planning/prediction by the puff player.

Also, keep in ledge-cancelling and the Infinite Jump Glitch.

HoMaLoN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoMaLoN
I agree Definitely. like "sleep" in there air which can look like the stool jump animation towards the enemy will they free fall. Something like that

OverLade

Smash Hero
M2K is housing with a friend so that I can play brawl with him all week.

I'll try and get some project M vids in the mix if I can :)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
No .

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Yeah, I'm pretty sure almost all change ideas to Sing will be rejected. Jiggs already has plentiful ways to setup for her murderous Rest.

D

Deleted member

People aren't gonna take you very seriously anymore if they even used to do so.

Also, an idea for DK's earthquake slap.

Give it set BKB, the ability to be JC'd after a certain frame, and the ability to shield poke opponents from the bottom.

I can see this used to stop rolls and spot dodges, to inflict shield pressure, then to combo from the set BKB.

DK needs something interesting to decentralize his metagame of shffl bairs and uair juggles. A more dynamic and engaging mechanic that isn't unilateral.

G

genkaku

Jigglypuff needs a sing buff just as much as Sheik needs a chain buff.

Not at all.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Keep the ideas coming, guys. I know the devs will carefully implement every single one of these into their late September release.

Falco's lasers need moar hitstun.

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
Hey guys

I played PM at GREV XI and it was pretty awesome, but I noticed a few things and I'm wondering if you guys are going to address them.

Of course this was two weeks ago so if you guys made any huge updates then I'll be outdated but..

1) It seems too hard to edgeguard now from the ledge
I didn't see much, if any, edgeguarding from the actual ledge. Against many characters it doesn't feel as good anymore. For example falcon has his side-b recovery which actually does something now, making it harder to do anything while hanging on the ledge trying to swat him away.

2) Grabs slide like crazy
At least compared to melee. And yeah you have pivot grabs in brawl which slide even further.. i was just wonderng if this was intentional or if it's going to be made more like melee

Otherwise it was pretty awesome, good **** guys :D

Revven

FrankerZ
Hey guys

I played PM at GREV XI and it was pretty awesome, but I noticed a few things and I'm wondering if you guys are going to address them.

Of course this was two weeks ago so if you guys made any huge updates then I'll be outdated but..

1) It seems too hard to edgeguard now from the ledge
I didn't see much, if any, edgeguarding from the actual ledge. Against many characters it doesn't feel as good anymore. For example falcon has his side-b recovery which actually does something now, making it harder to do anything while hanging on the ledge trying to swat him away.

2) Grabs slide like crazy
At least compared to melee. And yeah you have pivot grabs in brawl which slide even further.. i was just wonderng if this was intentional or if it's going to be made more like melee

Otherwise it was pretty awesome, good **** guys :D
1) It's only harder to edgeguard because ledge grab boxes right now are ********. We're going to work on them soonish.

2) Friction, all friction. Friction isn't completely fine tuned for any character really because the Melee value doesn't port over. So, it's not entirely intentional, but JC grabs in Melee did slide a little bit if you pay attention to when Fox does it (just an example). But they do slide a little further than they did in Melee and that's partly due to the friction right now which still need some minor tweaking (I think it's also partly on how JC grabs was coded but I don't remember for sure).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom