• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Also for those who say we can't blame Sakurai for being limited by the Wiimote, we actually can. The solution would have been simple. Bundle a GCN controller with the game, make the game only GC-controller compatible. Bam.

Ecks

Smash Lord
I would have been all over such a controller. They could also say "For the full experience, we recomend a GCN or classic controller".

Edit: And a quick question: Do you guys like the current camera or the Melee camera more? I personally think that with a few tweaks (a bit faster zoom and the shake when hitting someone) this camera could be better than melee's.

Maybe I'm just not used to melee cam anymore...*plays Melee more*
:phone:

Ulevo

Smash Master
Melee camera is better. It gives the illusion of a faster experience, which I think is one of the biggest thrills of playing Melee. Without it, the game loses luster.

Granted, the Melee camera did have imperfections, but that doesn't make it the inferior choice.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Melee camera is better. It gives the illusion of a faster experience, which I think is one of the biggest thrills of playing Melee. Without it, the game loses luster.

Granted, the Melee camera did have imperfections, but that doesn't make it the inferior choice.
It's not like there's a switch you just flip and you go from brawl to melee camera, they have to edit it, that means they can improve it and it also means it might not be exactly melee.

Ecks

Smash Lord

I agree that it looses luster. The only things keeping this from looking like Melee are probably the camera and animations. Still, pm cam is way better than brawl's.

I just need to go get used to Melee cam since I haven't have a good melee in a lot. What I wish the devs could do is make the camera shake when hitting. This, along with the zooming at the zoom speed, also gave the feeling of stronger impacts (sfx play a good part here too.).

I'll go play Melee for a bit now lol

Edit: Redd, at least we all got some fun out off watching it. lol

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I know they did it intentionally, I know they're the same hight as well. Not only did I see the pic, I tested it myself. Notice how I said "make him overall bigger". I didn't mention height specifically, mean his body size (which I guess would end up making him taller). Like I said, compare his (Marth) head to any other normal human. Link always comes up because it makes this difference more obvious.
It's just the way the characters were designed. Zelda games aren't trying to be super realistic, even when they're like Twilight Princess. There are characters with odd features, shapes, whatever, in the games. Link has a large head, lol... slightly larger in proportion to his body than most actual people. In fact, his proportions are more like a child with large eyes and all. Toon Link is of course an extreme example of this, but that style of animation/art/"character representation" is very common. It's caricaturization so as to make characters more recognizable and expressive. Marth is less of a caricature, meaning his head is more regularly sized in proportion to his body for an adult. Same with Falcon, Samus, and especially Snake - (the former two with somewhat caricaturized bodies however, heh). Pit is the same height as Zero Suit Samus, but look at the differences in their head sizes, lol - Pit is more of a caricature. Obviously, the intention of caricaturization is much more profound in some characters... these are characters we don't see as trying to be realistic - like Mario, Ness, and the aforementioned Toon Link. As far as appearance goes, caricaturization is the rule, not the exception... especially for Nintendo. Video games in general use caricatures all the time to appeal to people - and it doesn't always have to be in appearance. Realistic looking characters can have extreme personalities or abilities. Caricaturization means things literally being "larger than life" in every way.

...Anyways, think that made my point... in a generalized way. (Lol at this becoming a psuedo-essay or something xD)

Basically, Marth's head is more realisitically sized in proportion to his body than Link's. There's nothing wrong there, it's just how the characters are designed. If it bothers anyone, just know that you're making Marth less realistic if you give him a larger head. And if you make his whole body bigger, his head will still be proportionally smaller than Link's. Inversely, you could make Link's head smaller. Still, it will look awkward no matter what you do and I wouldn't worry about it, lol.

ajajayjay

Smash Journeyman
Dare I bring up our earthbound friend in the subject of large heads?

edit: didn't see jahkzheng already brought him up. proportion comparison anyway.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
And remember, Link isn't human, so he shouldn't be expected to have human proportions. Or do you want to double Marth's size so his ears are as big as Link's? ;)

Ecks

Smash Lord
Ok, Ok, you guys win. I'm probably over reacting because the differences between Marth and Link in Melee weren't that obvious. In the end it all boils down to Marth's Brawl model, I guess.

Comparing Ness to Marth is just lol. Fun fact: I main Ness, Marth and Falcon in Melee. I know my differences. :D

Edit: Hey wait a minute! There are normal humans in twilight princess too and Link looks just fine compared to th-*shot*

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
This is a game where a man made gene manipulated psychic cat can fight a sword wielding prince of a mythical kingdom while they navigate a racetrack that has cars which they're also larger than.

Realism can suck a ****.

nawgui

Smash Cadet
I remember reading backa while ago that matches ran longer cause there were still somethings that still needed to be fixed, does anyone know per chance what those values and other things are that need to be fixed so matches run shorter.

Also DI still looks more potent then melee (but then again that might just be the way the game looks)

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Edit: Hey wait a minute! There are normal humans in twilight princess too and Link looks just fine compared to th-*shot*
Good point there...

Still, Zelda games aren't "super realistic" and even the "regular humans" in them are often oddly proportioned/strange appearing... Twilight Princess included.
Heh.. I don't need to link an example.

This is a game where a man made gene manipulated psychic cat can fight a sword wielding prince of a mythical kingdom while they navigate a racetrack that has cars which they're also larger than.

Realism can suck a ****.
Of course... we could always go "there".
Lol.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I remember reading backa while ago that matches ran longer cause there were still somethings that still needed to be fixed, does anyone know per chance what those values and other things are that need to be fixed so matches run shorter.

Also DI still looks more potent then melee (but then again that might just be the way the game looks)
I have no idea what you're talking about.

It's 100% melee DI.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I believe he's referring to this:
And on a fundamental level, even with identical frame data and hitbox stats, a lot of people say something feels off, like how P:M matches tend to take longer than Melee matches and people tend to live to higher %s, but I think that might be people playing differently than they did in Melee, and new and experimental characters sometimes don't have the same kind of kill power as Melee high tiers.
Which pretty much answers his question at the same time it evokes it.

Revven

FrankerZ
i know, im just talking about the recent vids that Jcz released with chu and everything
Magus made the codes for DI, if they were not Melee exact don't you think we wouldn't be claiming them as such?

Basically, it's Melee DI, the camera is probably what's making you "confused". Magus is never wrong so plz quit doubting him or us.

What are the differences between the pm camera and the melee version?
The Melee camera zooms in more and follows the characters a lot better and also tends to zoom in on the characters that are offstage. The current camera we have is relatively close but it doesn't do any of that really as there are limitations to how we can change the camera with what we currently have. The camera doesn't zoom in on chars that are offstage, instead the game tends to zoom out in most cases.

The point is, Melee camera followed the action a lot more while the Brawl camera tried to just let you see where you were at all times and the PM camera is more of an in between with some stages working much better than others due to camera values being taken from Melee (i.e Melee FD).

nawgui

Smash Cadet
Magus made the codes for DI, if they were not Melee exact don't you think we wouldn't be claiming them as such?

Basically, it's Melee DI, the camera is probably what's making you "confused". Magus is never wrong so plz quit doubting him or us.
My apologies, I didn't intend to come off as doubting or judgemental

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I've watched it at least twice that, not counting all the time I spent making it :p

And you know, for someone who's watched something that many times, you'd think you'd at least get the name right...

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Magus is never wrong so plz quit doubting him or us.
My apologies, I didn't intend to come off as doubting or judgemental
LOL

In some countries, such doubt of one's leader is tantamount to treason and punishable by death. Clearly, this is not a democracy xD.

I don't doubt Magus of course, but that claim is silly.
(I wonder what it must be like to never be wrong.. probably boring :p).

leelue

Smash Lord
A while back, it was asked what ikes down smash does and I gave an answer that was wrong.

Actually, there is a place on ikes smash that does send the enemy Forward and at a low angle. They have to be practically inside of you though.

See, I knew I wasn't wrong :p

Just inexperienced. The couple of times I saw it hit it happened to be like that

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I know I've mentioned this in the chat but I absolutely love how Link came out. It's just beautiful ;~; He is so solid. Thank you for making Link good for once. :) (Discounting other Brawl mods of course. The other ones did him justice, I'm sure)

Who designed him? Shadic? Didn't you guys also contact Hylian or some other renowned Melele Link main about him? I remember reading that awhile ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom