• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Yeah, as a fg enthusiastI can say the stages are more of a novelty thing, I doesn't make a game any better. Hell, Yipes and the EC people just play on the training stage over and over in MvC3.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Soooo I've been thinkin about Boozer for a while now. I've been thinkin about how he's gonna suck no matter what you do to him (that's how it looks to me) and I thought of something really cool if you guys could do it. Is it possible to make his up b work the way it does on YS in melee on every stage?

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Not normal fortess hogging. On YS you can fortress far away from the the edge and just go towards the edge and he'll immediatly grab the edge.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
Imo bowzer is a beast in PM. he has what Super armor frames on a ton of moves, not to mention he can vB on stage to to cancel in the air for roof combos. And from brawl he can aim his FireBreath up and down unlike in melee where its just one continous motion. I say bowser is gonna a be force to be reckoned with. Atleast this is what I know of from the streams of when I seen him played but thats basically all I can go on.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Zef, would you consider SSF4 or MvC3 a great fighting game if it had ONE stage that was bland and used over and over and over? Hardly, i said stages make a fighting game GREAT, they turn a good game into a great game.
All the work that goes into making stages could probably be better spent doing something that matters.

I'm looking forward to a good Bowser. Makes me wonder how well Gimpy would dominate if he used a viable character. I'm kinda hoping P:M might draw him back to Smash.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
That's already in ETWIST.

Have you watched any recent Bowser videos? cmart on my channel is getting really good with him (seriously, the only guy in my crew who legit scares me even when I'm using ROB). I think Badguy also has a fairly good one but he only plays wifi so you can't judge high level gameplay very well from that. I don't know of any other serious Bowser:M players at the moment.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I'm looking forward to a good Bowser. Makes me wonder how well Gimpy would dominate if he used a viable character. I'm kinda hoping P:M might draw him back to Smash.
I'm more worried about what DJ Nintendo and Warriorknight would do with a viable Bowser. They still constantly do well with Bowser for some reason (Mainly WK).

That's already in ETWIST.

Have you watched any recent Bowser videos? cmart on my channel is getting really good with him (seriously, the only guy in my crew who legit scares me even when I'm using ROB). I think Badguy also has a fairly good one but he only plays wifi so you can't judge high level gameplay very well from that. I don't know of any other serious Bowser:M players at the moment.
I think a seen a vid from him, but it was Samus. I'll check him out.

Seikishidan Soru

Smash Journeyman
All the work that goes into making stages could probably be better spent doing something that matters.
I'm the kind of person who likes training stages better because of the squares on the ground, but I highly doubt that people who design backgrounds in most FG and those in charge of balance/other gameplay-related aspects are strictly the same. That's like saying composing a soundtrack takes away from the rest of the game and it would be better without music.

Good Bowser makes me curious. PM has this in common with MvC3 that a large part of the roster appeals to me and I can't wait to try out viable versions of all these characters.

GPDP

Smash Ace
I don't follow SC at all
explain?
They remade Starcraft 1 in the Starcraft 2 engine, much like how Project M is a quasi-remake of Melee in the Brawl engine.

The main difference is, Project M does take some liberties, such as added characters, greater balance, etc., while Starcraft 2: Brood War is almost a direct copy of the original SC1:BW in every way.

I just thought it was neat someone else had the same idea to do to Starcraft 2 what Project M did to Brawl.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Gimpyfish also commented on of standardtoaster's streams. Something about how he likes how bowser is going or something like that IIRC.
I think that was the comment I remembered.
EDIT: Actually, it couldn't have been that comment, I saw it on Youtube.

cmart

Smash Lord
Not normal fortess hogging. On YS you can fortress far away from the the edge and just go towards the edge and he'll immediatly grab the edge.
It's not quite as easy as Yoshi's Story (still slight margin for an SD) but you CAN do it fairly recklessly on every stage now. I'll take that over auto fortress hogging.

On the subject of Bowser: M in general, I feel that he's actually really, really good. All the heavy armor moves allow you to blow past all sorts of strategies that Bowser just couldn't deal with before. He's still weak in that he's combo food if someone gets in on you, but if you read your opponent well he can wreck anyone in the game now. To be honest I do well with him and don't even use all of the new buffed moves (Down B and down air notably), so there's a lot of potential.

As for similar projects, I would say Knee Deep in Zdoom is a bit closer to project M - a heavily modified Doom 2 engine used to recreate an enhanced Doom 1 episode.

cmart

Smash Lord
It's a fun matchup. And I've had this sig for yeeeaaarrrs. I should probably switch it up sometime this decade. o_o

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I'm honestly not sure if that should stay in.
If only there was a way to make the jump only happen when you tap A as well as B or something like that because edge canceled eggs were fun and the hop totally kills that.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I'm the kind of person who likes training stages better because of the squares on the ground, but I highly doubt that people who design backgrounds in most FG and those in charge of balance/other gameplay-related aspects are strictly the same.
Even if they aren't, then them working on stages is still taking money away from the other aspects. In a game where stages add nothing, there's always something better that should be done.

That's like saying composing a soundtrack takes away from the rest of the game and it would be better without music.
Well, everyone always replaces Brawl's music, so yeah, pretty much.
Games should of course have main themes, but that's for advertising, brand recognition, and hype. And in other genres, music is important in setting the mood. But in a game all about gameplay, just having a method for adding your own music is enough. A game's soundtrack can be really good, but wouldn't it be better if it was composed only of stuff you're guaranteed to like, since you chose it?
Note that for games like MvC and Smash, fanservice and nostalgia are important factors, so this logic doesn't strictly apply. I'm just talking about traditional stand-alone fighters, like SF or MK. However, there was a lot of hubbub about songs Brawl didn't include, which has died down thanks to customization, so some of it is still true.

What do you mean this thread isn't about game design theory? Oh, okay:
Could the hop just be removed when Egg Throwing during double jump?

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
because people dont DMZ their wiis enough.
...What? Could you explain?

Just bring the demo to a Melee or Brawl tourney and see if you can get people to play with you.
Well I wanted to play experienced people, and aren't spaces like that reserved? I think I'd rather ask them first if it could be a side event rather than just show up, plus my only TV is 42" lol not like I can drag that around

Or train your friends. Spread P:M propaganda. Anyone who streetpasses me get Project M publicity, XD. We should all put "Play Project M" as our streetpass message.
Tried it, problem is I don't have a lot of friends, only hang out with like 3, and only 1 is into fighting games and right now he's more into SSF4(So am I a bit just because I have no one to play in P:M)

PeachEater74

Smash Apprentice
LMAO Zef. If it's that late, I doubt anyone will watch it. Will your stream be recorded?
I'm in the same stream as him actually lol. 10PM To midnight I'll be playan' Pokemon on may first. And on Friday I'm streaming P:M and Melee from 10PM to 1 Am.

EST and stuff.

People will probably be watching, it's a huge stream charity for Japan and stuff.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
I'm in the same stream as him actually lol. 10PM To midnight I'll be playan' Pokemon on may first. And on Friday I'm streaming P:M and Melee from 10PM to 1 Am.

EST and stuff.

People will probably be watching, it's a huge stream charity for Japan and stuff.
and what exactly is this steam?
who's hosting it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom