• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
All the saved streams so don't have it...where is it? Someone PM me the Video from the Project Melee Youtube channel. Just Switch from Private to Unlisted and send me the link. Then after I view it switch it back...;)

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
PSA shows that there are two separate actions for aerial and grounded specials. The same goes for the aerial and grounded versions of the animations. If it is true that Side B is different in the air, then they separated the two actions as being completely different.

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
Second impact?

Also, roy and mewtwo's announcer calls are not already in the game.

I do not care one way or the other for a rebranding. However I will note that half the time I say Project M, everyone is like, "Dude, Metroid Other M already came out, and it was HORRIBLE."

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
I need a list of lines (4 lines or fewer) that I should request from him. He seems totally cool and seems to have actually enjoyed working on Melee.
I'd trust whatever the PMBR team comes up with, honestly. Whatever he's willing to do that could (possibly) add to the presentation would be great, be that a lot or a little.

Though of all the suggestions so far, 'MELEE TWO POINT OOOH' is what I like the most.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
As a game I liked it better than Fusion. As a story it's so much a trainwreck that I didn't care. I enjoyed it for what it was.

But this is getting off topic.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Is it really? I got it for Christmas and I haven't touched it because people say it sucks...
What Metroid games have you played?

As a game I liked it better than Fusion. As a story it's so much a trainwreck that I didn't care. I enjoyed it for what it was.

But this is getting off topic.
Really? At least Fusion had a semblance of exploration in the midst of its high amount of linearity and the boss battles were much more difficult.

Nintendo's plan for SSB4 - sit and wait to see what PM does, then steal ideas :p
Honestly, that'd be much better than continued polarization of the competitive audience.

Slashy

Smash Lord
Ecks-That was because I contacted Brawl's announcer back in 2008

Jody Summer, Micaiah, Ridley, Krystal, Isaac, Bowser Jr., and Tails also have announcer calls. You don't think Sakurai planned to have them all playable as well?

Shanus if you think you should contact him instead of me, send me a PM or IM and I will get you the info.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Slashy - No

Thanks.
I'm just saying, maybe linking this thread to him isn't a horrible idea. If he really loves Melee, what would be better than possible official support?

Let me explain, Nintendo Employees have this really, really weird perspective on hacking that you can piece together from interviews. Obviously, they are against modding your Wii, but have this thing were they're perfectly fine with game hacking. Not to the point where they completely support it on reaction, but it's a positive outlook. This is why the Hackless version of the game is so great, because it's on Nintendo's good side. You can basically tell this by Nintendo NEVER trying to shut down all the huge hacking communities, from Super Mario World's 10 year hacking scene to Brawl's hacking scene so huge that Brawl+ is known basically around the world by anyone that even bats an eye at Smash. In some interview (I'll dig it up if you guys want me to), I recall some big name or another (Miyamoto, Sakurai... someone maybe? I can't remember....) that said that to Nintendo, game hacking to them means that their fans love the game to death, so they love to see that.

Even at just the Melee announcer, just one person that supports Project M could potentially be amazing, and even could lead to some form of additional support.

Now there IS the the fact that all actions have consequences, and this could easily turn sour if taken the wrong way..... but I'd say the risk is more than worth the reward. Even if things turn bad, Nintendo will do no more than shun Project M, but never actually kill it. On the other side of the coin, we could go where no mod has gone before.

Now that would be M-azing.

Slashy

Smash Lord
He's freelance Mr. UltiMario..., he doesn't work for Nintendo anymore.

Anyway I was thinking of labeling P:M as a fangame rather than a game mod.

shanus

Smash Hero
The reason I say no now is we have no tools at our disposal to place it in the game. It would just be a waste of time and effort.

Slashy

Smash Lord
The reason I say no now is we have no tools at our disposal to place it in the game. It would just be a waste of time and effort.
It isn't like the files are going to deteriorate.

Also there is a placeholder file in the BRSAR for the announcer to say the title.

shanus

Smash Hero
It isn't like the files are going to deteriorate.
Yes, but my patience for your suggestions is. There is no reason to hassle someone to do work for you that you cannot even use, let alone asking someone out of strict goodwill and no pay.

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
If necessary, I'd honestly be willing to donate to get voice work done. As soon as it is feasible for us to use said voice work at least.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
The original, Super, Thremake of the original on the GBA and some primes.
Basically, if you like the mostly freeform exploration, the great music, good environment designs, and backseated story of those games, you'll absolutely hate Other M for being the complete opposite of all of that. Actually, you should play Fusion sometime. If you really don't like that game, you will get a pretty good idea of Other M except with things like the linearity and story presence turned up to 11 (with the latter being utter ****).

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
That's what most say, but even for the really simple action game it is, it really doesn't even match up to the likes of DMC or Ninja Gaiden (which ironically enough, Other M was co-produced by Team Ninja) in complexity or enjoyability.

BinAly

Smash Apprentice
The problem with Other M, for me, was not being able to reproduce the same gameplay from the SNES version.

Also, the parts were you need to fire missiles aiming are really bad. The transition between 2D and FPS isn't good at all.

Slashy

Smash Lord
For a character who only said few lines in previous games to suddenly having long monologues really says something about how much they understood the series.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I'm not against the announcer idea, but I agree that if Dean Harrington is a freelance worker, I mean, he's doing this kind of stuff for a living. Asking him to do that when there's not way to do it for sure might just make him do work for nothing. It's like Pat Cashman (the Brawl announcer) saying names like "Rockman!" and "King K. Rool!".

They're out there on the Internet, but no one ever used them yet. It was nice of him, but also unecessary. I get what Shanus is saying. Why bother him to do work that may end up unused?

Edit: Other argument... Clone engine. When that's going to be done, I wonder how many people would pester them.

Edit: And Other M had interesting ideas, but poorly excecuted. Just saying though, we should probably go back on topic.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
For a character who only said few lines in previous games to suddenly having long monologues really says something about how much they understood the series.
The plot was written by Metroid co-creator Yoshio Sakamoto.

Topic: Don't bother the announcer until we've got everything ready.
Also, as a replacement title for Project: M (I mean, once it's released, it'll no longer be a project, right?), I am a huge fan of "Revolution". I've been working an a big essay/rant to unleash once we're near enough to the final release to bother discussing it.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
The only time she spoke was for the sake of exposition, like her Journal Entries and Super Metroid and Fusion.

Her characterization in Other M would've made much more sense if it were to take place before all the other Metroid games.....

Anyway, I hope that there will be another sporadic finding this week.

ds22

Smash Lord
The plot was written by Metroid co-creator Yoshio Sakamoto.

Topic: Don't bother the announcer until we've got everything ready.
Also, as a replacement title for Project: M (I mean, once it's released, it'll no longer be a project, right?), I am a huge fan of "Revolution". I've been working an a big essay/rant to unleash once we're near enough to the final release to bother discussing it.
The name for this project will NOT be changed after it's final release.
Names such as Project: M and P:M are acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom