• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajajayjay

Smash Journeyman
I can't imagine falco being too good for her either. whatever, I don't know enough about samus to effectively contribute to how she should be buffed.

iLink

Smash Champion
Are we aware of some glitch with marth that causes him to just slide across the stage after recovering? I was playing someone when it happened and they said they have no idea how or what could have triggered it.

D

Deleted member

Samus rolling past a person and cancelling by laying a bomb on them and using the explosion to jump or aerial would be ****ing amazing.

I can see a lot of application

ajajayjay

Smash Journeyman
I like that, it makes sense too since she's already in her morph ball while rolling.

If so, it should be made somewhat difficult. maybe only a few frames in which you could lay a bomb. with this and z-air she could be a menace

D

Deleted member

I dunno if Samus could ever be good. Her physics suck pretty bad and her moveset isn't good either.

She can't even combo in 64.

That's a terrible ****ing moveset.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Does this work in melee?
She's not floaty enough and her uair doesn't work the same way, so no.
I dunno if Samus could ever be good. Her physics suck pretty bad and her moveset isn't good either.

She can't even combo in 64.

That's a terrible ****ing moveset.
But... Samus isn't bad in melee. She's pretty good. I think she's as good as ganon TBH.

D

Deleted member

Granted, Samus isn't the worst character in Melee. Far from it.

To significantly increase her ability though, it does seem like she'd need to get some fundamental changes.

At least she has the advantage of being mid-low to mid tier as a starting point. She may not even need significant changes to achieve upper mid or high tier.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Samus is high mid but the only thing she need is

A) A way to deal with high priority characters (marth and jiggs wreck her)
B) A way to deal more damage (she has a bad combo game so she needs some way of dealing damage, like better missiles)

and C) more priority but they can't change this so too bad.

D

Deleted member

My mistake, I thought she was at the lower end of mid tier.

Somebody could invent new moves and animations for her up air and forward air, or make good improvements to them. Those could then be used to out prioritize and/or combo. Perhaps somebody could vastly improve up smash to link properly and be extremely disjointed to beat out aerial approaches from above.

She's got nice spacing tools and probably moreso with her z-air and improved homing missiles.

Are there any good Melee Samus mains onboard the team?

ajajayjay

Smash Journeyman
I never understood why samus couldn't charge her shot in the air.

she could in her own games + all other chars with charge moves can do it in the air so why not

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
My mistake, I thought she was at the lower end of mid tier.

Somebody could invent new moves and animations for her up air and forward air, or make good improvements to them. Those could then be used to out prioritize and/or combo. Perhaps somebody could vastly improve up smash to link properly and be extremely disjointed to beat out aerial approaches from above.

She's got nice spacing tools and probably moreso with her z-air and improved homing missiles.

I consider her high mid, some people consider her mid or low mid. Her fair has it's uses, like it's her best move to edgehop with in Melee. You can combo with it some times too. Uair sucks though, so does usmash. And her zair is a huge buff if you think about it. No more Marth spamming fair because you can just zair through it. yayyyy.

I never understood why samus couldn't charge her shot in the air.

she could in her own games + all other chars with charge moves can do it in the air so why not
Wow, i've never thought about that. That would be a good buff, she could also turnaround in the air because of it which would make her edgeguarding better.

ajajayjay

Smash Journeyman
Wow, i've never thought about that. That would be a good buff, she could also turnaround in the air because of it which would make her edgeguarding better.
Maybe she could pull off some reverse charge cancel to her nice high-hitting back air to keep a combo going. Kinda like when falcos and sheiks do reverse shine / reverse needle cancel --> back air

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Her Brawl uair doesn't seem that bad, though. But giving it a single poking hit ala Sheik doesn't seem that terrible.

With that and a pretty decent hitbox, knockback change on fair, I could see controlling space in front of her being a tad easier. Though her tilts and jab are still amazing.

Upsmash should be a situational juggle. I stand firm in believing that back throw should be a damage/kill throw.

Giving her a charge in the air seems pretty awesome as well. I see DKs utilize it too.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
this is my last suggestion about PKThunder for Ness:

[ONLY for when airborne...grounded PKT will remain the same as a projectile you can connect into PKT2]

When you press upB, PKT comes out on a set path that will always hit Ness.* The direction of PKT2, however, is determined by control stick input, like Foxfire, where the PKT1 acts as the Foxfire stalling charge. Also like Foxfire, the PKT1 will act as a defense** while Ness is preparing to recover.

*turning radius/speed may or may not be changed
**possible change: PKT1 can no longer be intercepted...would-be interceptors could suffer a less drastic version of PKT1's hitstun, unlike Lucas's which dramatically...er...pushes opponents

additional note: with the above conditions met, priority/KO power can be reduced (again, this is for aerial PKT1&2...grounded PKT1&2 should remain unchanged)

This is a serious suggestion that I've put a great deal of thought into...please consider it :)

ajajayjay

Smash Journeyman
actually, i'm up for giving the majority of the cast back/forward throws with kill potential. nearly no one uses either anyway. but i guess that would be kinda cruel to our gimpable barrel rollin' friends. At least maybe pikachus forward throw, complementing his awesome gimping game and as a tribute to his top-tier status from 64 (when his forward throw was back throw)

ajajayjay

Smash Journeyman
toasty, if the pk thunder in the air is non-controllable, wouldn't it have to use the same animation everytime? It would look kinda awkward if the thunder hit ness in the same place every time and he rocketed off in the exact opposite direction

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Giving samus the ability to charge her shot in mid-air, would be one of the best buffs possible for her. Also make her bombs blow up on contact again, the way they are in brawl is stupid.(they have a set detonation time)

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Samus is high mid but the only thing she need is

A) A way to deal with high priority characters (marth and jiggs wreck her)
B) A way to deal more damage (she has a bad combo game so she needs some way of dealing damage, like better missiles)

and C) more priority but they can't change this so too bad.
If missiles functioned more like Young Link's bombs upon exploding (ie. big explosion hitbox that hits through moves) then that would be a big step in upping her projectile game if you wanted to take her in that direction.

Forcing Sheik and Puff to have near perfect spacing to hit through projectiles (and therefore making them more of a relevant threat) would be a big step for her. It would also make Ganon think a bit more about just arbitrarily lobbing out moves against her.

D

Deleted member

Her homing missiles would be a good candidate for the Y. Link like explosion.

That way she can retain her KO power of super missiles.

Samus might need some form of speed like running speed or aerial falling/jumping speed to capitalize upon them though.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Completely random thought, and probably impossible to put in, but if you guys could get diddy kongs god dam beatbox, and sunglasses from DKC2 as a taunt my life would be complete lol.

Slashy

Smash Lord
How about this, bombs lay a while on the ground before blowing up, that way Samus can use her power bombs as traps or as metaphorical springboards for aerials (ala bomb jumps)

Maybe Samus can get multiple types of super missiles (switching with the side taunt)

-Ice Missiles, Freezes the enemy but does no knockback
-Wave Missiles, weak but unblockable/reflectable

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
If missiles functioned more like Young Link's bombs upon exploding (ie. big explosion hitbox that hits through moves) then that would be a big step in upping her projectile game if you wanted to take her in that direction.

Forcing Sheik and Puff to have near perfect spacing to hit through projectiles (and therefore making them more of a relevant threat) would be a big step for her. It would also make Ganon think a bit more about just arbitrarily lobbing out moves against her.
That sounds great actually.
Her homing missiles would be a good candidate for the Y. Link like explosion.

That way she can retain her KO power of super missiles.

Samus might need some form of speed like running speed or aerial falling/jumping speed to capitalize upon them though.
They should give her her Super Metroid run speed. Which was fast as ****.

-Ice Missiles, Freezes the enemy but does no knockback
-Wave Missiles, weak but unblockable/reflectable
That would be cool.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Cool but unnessicary, if they can fix super missles right, i doubt the devs would add ice missles/wave beam just for the sake of it. Doing so would be Brawl- esc.

jalued

Smash Lord
wasnt samus' main problem just that she wasnt fast enough to compete with top tier? Her physics made her combo bait for falcon, marth etc. Could you do something like make her bombs FFable to speed her up? (so as to not change her melee "feel")

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
..........Speed booster would be more logical than that, Shinesparks and all.

But seriously, Charging in the air should be implemented.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Overall, I think I'd like to see a hybrid of Melee Samus and Brawl Samus' play style I think.
Well, she still has Brawl zair, so Brawl Samus playstyle is intact :awesome:

DynaDASH is a solid Melee Samus player from Mexico who is technically in the PMBR, though she's been inactive for a few months.

Lately I've been playing and discussing Project M a lot with cmart, who semi-mained Samus in Melee. Here's his Project M Samus (more videos coming soon).

this is my last suggestion about PKThunder for Ness:

[ONLY for when airborne...grounded PKT will remain the same as a projectile you can connect into PKT2]

When you press upB, PKT comes out on a set path that will always hit Ness.* The direction of PKT2, however, is determined by control stick input, like Foxfire, where the PKT1 acts as the Foxfire stalling charge. Also like Foxfire, the PKT1 will act as a defense** while Ness is preparing to recover.

*turning radius/speed may or may not be changed
**possible change: PKT1 can no longer be intercepted...would-be interceptors could suffer a less drastic version of PKT1's hitstun, unlike Lucas's which dramatically...er...pushes opponents

additional note: with the above conditions met, priority/KO power can be reduced (again, this is for aerial PKT1&2...grounded PKT1&2 should remain unchanged)

This is a serious suggestion that I've put a great deal of thought into...please consider it :)
For serious suggestions like this, you should probably hop on the IRC, find out who is overseeing the character (in this case it's Count Kaiser, as you know), and talk directly to him about it. Things in this thread tend to get lost because of how fast it moves, and only a few of us PMBR members can keep up with it.

But yeah that's a pretty interesting idea. Maybe in the air, like 6 PKT1s could come out on all sides of Ness, loop around him (protecting him from interception, but large disjointed hitboxes or laser projectiles could still potentially hit him out of it), and then hit him, letting you go in whatever direction you want a la firefox.

But seriously, Charging in the air should be implemented.
I'm not sure it's possible, but yeah, that would be cool.

abcool

Smash Ace
Wow, some of the samus ideas in here are crazy lol. I need to come to these boards more often. I already stated what KK said before about samus on smash mods thread. Her missiles just needed to give damage and no knockback if your opponent chooses to hit it instead of dodge it.

Samus game is bait and punish and she has 2 bad matchups not 3. She is bad against marth and sheik. Falcon imo is about 55-45. All you have to do is get him offstage utilt just deals with him after that point. If he tries to go high you can go for a bair. Never use missiles when he is close and don't for the life of you jump. Move around alot and shield dash plenty. His nair is crazy, but if he doesn't space properly up-b oos works. All n all, only noob samus screw up the match up. Darrell beat hax and hugs owns in that matchup and thinks it's 50-50.

I already typed what samus needs on smashmods and i am tried of typing it over and over. The reason why no other samus mains come here is because they don't care about P:M and are melee purist, like one or two a little curious now, but most just don't. Also there other beastly samus players out there besides hugs ya know. There is darrell,plup,duck and esam if he sticked with the game. Ganon ain't THAT bad either...he is combo food at early percents and alot of stuff can lead into charge shot. Only crap about ganon that is gey against samus is bair spam and i think you can try and space it. He is slower..

Edit: Anyway, any good samus player knows missiles are only used to bait with. This is how GOOD samus players play the matchup vs fox http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Liw-GUSKl5k

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
I always found it funny how a sword could deflect/destroy a freaking missle, like come on now that just doesn't make sense sakurai.

cmart

Smash Lord
It would be better to say Samus was an alt of mine. I enjoy playing her, but would freely admit there are a lot of Samus players out there with a much better understanding of her matchups and larger metagame. Imo though, she just needs some subtle offense buffs. I approve of the Sheik upair idea, and would rather Samus' kill moves were a bit more reliable. Missiles still dealing damage when swatted sounds like a cool idea, I can get down with that.
Ideas like roll canceling seem kinda silly, and I'm against changing Samus' physics/speed. Her unique movement attributes were part of the fun of playing Samus. You wouldn't say, speed Ganon/Zelda/Bowser up just because they're a bit slow would you? You'd find other ways to improve them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom