• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Considering the game most of us are familiar with is NTSC melee, I would actually be wary of including too many of the PAL changes, even. We should try to keep things as close to NTSC melee as possible for them, making deviations only when completely necessary.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Start asking the pros of the top tiers from melee what they like, what needs changing, what's too broken, etc. Random people john.

shanus

Smash Hero
I wouldn't even dwell on balance right now.

Really, mechanics govern all balance. Physics govern all balance.

Neither of those are finished yet ^^ :)

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I'll say one thing.
Every Falcon main will love you if you use PSA and remove the stupid chain-like noise (basically, any sound action that calls that one into play) that he makes when running around or jumping and such. You know exactly what I'm talking about >:3

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
I wouldn't even dwell on balance right now.

Really, mechanics govern all balance. Physics govern all balance.

Neither of those are finished yet ^^ :)
So true. Should give an idea just how far off from balance we are =p

Although it doesn't hurt to talk about what level of balance we're gonna aim for now, even if we can't actually do much of anything toward it yet.

Kix

Smash Journeyman
Considering the game most of us are familiar with is NTSC melee, I would actually be wary of including too many of the PAL changes, even. We should try to keep things as close to NTSC melee as possible for them, making deviations only when completely necessary.
I agree. I think some of the PAL changes just make the characters less interesting.

jalued

Smash Lord
Well if this has djc I'm out.
dont worry, it'll be brawl+ style DJC, as in, its optional (if u hold jump and press A, u dont DJC)

lolwut? Melee had DJC and Yoshi and Ness both benefit from it (or at least Ness for me because I haven't played Yoshi+ enough to find solid applications of DJC).
and no ur wrong, DJC destroyed yoshi's recovery options, as he could not defend himself when recovering

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
dont worry, it'll be brawl+ style DJC, as in, its optional (if u hold jump and press A, u dont DJC)

and no ur wrong, DJC destroyed yoshi's recovery options, as he could not defend himself when recovering
Shows what I know. Thanks for correcting me on that.

kupo15

Smash Hero
EDIT: ****, didn't see the second page. Thought this post was more recent than it was. Oh well

about the previous melee sheik discussion:

I really do think that sheik should get the PAL dthrow (no chaingrab but can lead into techchase), as it waters down her auto-combo gameplay, and adds more elements of skill to her playstyle.
if she has no chain grab, Idk how it can be a tech chasing only move if you give her the PAL treatment.
Sheik will never be god tier in melee due to the simple fact that fox and falco counter her, so dont go saying: OMFG her fair is soo broken etc etc
Her fair is broken. Picture Link's awesome semi spike up b that he only has one chance that happens at the end of the move and its immovable on the ground. Now picture an even stronger Link's semi spike that comes out at the start of the move, super versatile and fast, and she can do at least 5 back to back without landing and it can be easily comboed into.

It really is a broken move. If you want to keep the power, then make the trajectory not as deadly.
all top tier melee characters have broken aspects, that is why they are top tier (falco's shine, fox's nair and shine, marths grab range and tipper size, jiggz rest etc etc)
At least it takes more skill to be with those characters than sheik. Her learning curve is absurd.
i feel that a few changes from NTSC to PAL should be considered, such as marth's dair being a meteor, sheiks dthrow changes, fox's smash weakening (though arguably not his upsmash). Ofc ignore stupid changes like ganon's fair nerf lol.
agreed

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Errr no.
Obviously we're not talking about ironing out their weaknesses altogether, just making them less of an issue for them. -Rest of post-
I was mostly talking about the issue of "Fixing all their weak points" issue that kept coming up in the early B+ days. :chuckle:

Also, as far as PAL changes - I will rage forever if you put in Link's UpB nerf. GG Nintendo, nerf a mediocre character.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Kupo, you should read my posts about keeping the melee top tiers as is.

And shadic, I don't see any reason we would nerf a character that isn't already top tier. To do what? Buff them a different way? The point is to be preserving melee's feel as much as humanly possible, while bringing the lower tiers up to par with the top tiers.

Octave

Smash Ace
Kupo, you should read my posts about keeping the melee top tiers as is.

And shadic, I don't see any reason we would nerf a character that isn't already top tier. To do what? Buff them a different way? The point is to be preserving melee's feel as much as humanly possible, while bringing the lower tiers up to par with the top tiers.
That's a somewhat contradictory statement. You can't technically preserve the feel of Melee if all characters are top tier. I totally understand what you're saying, however, and I agree with it.

IMO buff Ness' grab range to the whole stage so that he doesn't have to Yoyo glitch. :rolleyes:

shanus

Smash Hero
The DJC is optional, so there is no reason to complain or even argue about it lol

Cyan_Blau

Smash Apprentice
Well if there will be optional stuff, do you mean in the game or in the codeset?

Also I would prefer to only have 1 actual version of Melee 2.0 not many optional versions, because it will make tournaments harder to organize.

Another question: Wouldn't be more Melee like if Yoshi's second jump is just like in Melee.

(In my opinion it's very competitive because of the better chance to rcover without getting too much damage.)

TL?

Smash Ace
The DJC is only optional with x and y for jump. Maybe I play weird but when I do aerials, I jump with the control stick and hit a direction with the c stick. Am I really expected to hold down X and press the c stick or the A button as well? It's really awkward that way for me. I don't really mind it that much though since I don't play any DJC characters, unless you guys are giving it to lucas.

shanus

Smash Hero
Well if there will be optional stuff, do you mean in the game or in the codeset?

Also I would prefer to only have 1 actual version of Melee 2.0 not many optional versions, because it will make tournaments harder to organize.

Another question: Wouldn't be more Melee like if Yoshi's second jump is just like in Melee.

(In my opinion it's very competitive because of the better chance to rcover without getting too much damage.)
Its not an optional set. Its if you hold the jump button while performing the aerial or not.

D

Deleted member

The current P:M Link has his lasting up-b hitboxes hit at 0 angle. I don't think that's going to change.
You guys gonna make his up-b Melee animation and sound effect return?
That would be dreamy...

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
You guys gonna make his up-b Melee animation and sound effect return?
That would be dreamy...
SFX are limited to in-game SFX, either those owned by the character or in the universal set. We'll see what the future holds.

Animation edits are very manageable, though.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I didn't get my question answered about Falcon :(
At some point, would you consider removing the sound actions for Falcon that involve that chain-like noise? Every Falcon main and their mother would love you and bake you (manly) cookies (of awesome sauce).
I think it'd be very simple to do, but I don't think it's worth doing myself when this set will be released and I'd have to do it all over again.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I hate Falcon's dash noise in Brawl.

About Olimars tether(and I guess Ivysaur's too), you know when you're like diagonally above the edge and and you up b and you automatically grab the edge, can you include this with being able to tether the wall? It was pretty useful for edgeguard.

Tell me if I worded this funny.

shanus

Smash Hero
I hate Falcon's dash noise in Brawl.

About Olimars tether(and I guess Ivysaur's too), you know when you're like diagonally above the edge and and you up b and you automatically grab the edge, can you include this with being able to tether the wall? It was pretty useful for edgeguard.

Tell me if I worded this funny.
COnsidering that nothing has been done to tethering walls since its currently not possible, yeah.

Also, you forget I was an olimar main in vBrawl lol

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
I think Strong Bad or Camelot already removed the dash clinking sound.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
COnsidering that nothing has been done to tethering walls since its currently not possible, yeah.

Also, you forget I was an olimar main in vBrawl lol
I remember. xD

Glad a Olimar/Falco players running this. :D

@SHeLL: are you gonna make Mario's fireballs last a long time like in Melee?

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
We call it jab resets. It was really useful for Fox, Puff, Sheik, and Falcon. I wanna know how this is going too.

I just did a knee>dair>jab reset>knee on Fox. xD it was ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom