• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
*sigh*

Derkis, both Melomaniacal and myself are FINE with the reason being that the characters aren't finished.

We just thought that SB's reasoning of "well... no one else is complaining so you shouldn't either" was bad.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
SB's reasoning is just as valid as your own, given the same info. it's kinda strange to ask a question that anyone can answer, including yourself, unless you simply want to hear consolation.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
No one complained that there were only 14 characters in the E for All Brawl demo.
You should treat this the same.
...why?

I mean, I've accepted your reasoning and I'm cool with it and everything, but that's not a good reason to accept something if you're against it. "Everyone else is cool with it, so you should be" doesn't work. Just saying.
The point isn't that everyone else is fine with there only being 14 characters in the Project M demo. In fact, there have been a ton of complaints about it, some even going so far as to call the Project M Back Room jerks (except a different word) for it.
The point is that no one cared when there were only 14 characters in the vBrawl demo; there was nothing but hype for it after Gimpyfish's post about it. And yet this is somehow different, despite the fact we have to spend more time on every change due to lack of tools, and so there should be less expected out of a demo at this point.
What happened to being open-source?
Project M will be open-source. The Project M demo will not. This is, like I said, due to the efforts of the leakers. If the demo's .txt was released, it wouldn't be hard (and in fact I'm convinced someone would) for someone to re-enable the other 25 characters and other stages via the .txt and simply use the older leaks of Project M for the non-demo content. This allows unfinished work into the game, and people unknowingly playing it could get negative impressions due to it. Because apparently 14 characters isn't enough, for the cost of $0, after over a year of work. Give a man an inch and he'll want a mile.

So, we have to keep the codeset closed source. Thank your friends stingers (who I will unfortunately be unable to see at Pound 5 due to his own situation. *manly tear*), Smith. (who I will very much enjoy hanging out with at Pound 5 unless his ability to attend suddenly changes!), and 5ive for this decision.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
SB's reasoning is just as valid as your own, given the same info. it's kinda strange to ask a question that anyone can answer, including yourself, unless you simply want to hear consolation.
What are you people even talking about?

WE WERE JUST SAYING THAT "EVERYONE ELSE IS FINE WITH IT, YOU SHOULD BE TOO" ISN'T A REASON TO NOT HAVE THE EXTRA CHARACTERS.

WE UNDERSTAND THAT THE REASON IS BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT IDIOTS TO ASSUME THAT THE CHARACTER'S ARE FINISHED AND ASSUME THE GAME IS UNPOLISHED.

OKAY!?

Kati

Smash Lord
ahh darn.. but I hope the sword will be considered in the future when balancing is finally examined.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
What are you people even talking about?

WE WERE JUST SAYING THAT "EVERYONE ELSE IS FINE WITH IT, YOU SHOULD BE TOO" ISN'T A REASON TO NOT HAVE THE EXTRA CHARACTERS.

WE UNDERSTAND THAT THE REASON IS BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT IDIOTS TO ASSUME THAT THE CHARACTER'S ARE FINISHED AND ASSUME THE GAME IS UNPOLISHED.

OKAY!?
Whoa bro stop ragin'. Some people will even defend against logical and fair issues with the PMBR's decisions or posts because they like what we've done that much. IMO it was a bit of a misunderstanding that led to your view of my reasoning. Read the post above yours.

jalued

Smash Lord
i dont know what everyone is complaining about, the demo lets us play 14 more characters than we can at present. So just look forward to it and be happy that they are even releasing a demo

shanus

Smash Hero
I swear people argue just because they can.

In other news, module magic is cool.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Wizards don't play. They work.
In other news, I'm probably learning ASM soon. Not in time for the demo but perhaps I can help out with other ****!

Ulevo

Smash Master
Oh yeah, just another note from something I noticed on the stream, for Magus and Ryoko. Regarding ZSS's recovery; you can't recover with her if you use her whip when you're directly under the edge, or slightly past the ledge and under the stage. You need to be far enough away from being directly underneath the ledge itself to grapple. Also, if you happen to be facing away from the ledge, such as when you go off to edge guard and attempt to come back, you need to be even further away than usual.

This is likely why they (Ryoko, mainly) were experiencing recovery problems, and not so much that she "falls too fast". Just wanted to clear that up, because it happened a lot in the stream.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Xinc, the breakthrough I was refering to is cracking the sora.rel file. it gives them lots of tools to work with.

Renji64

Smash Lord
I just wanted to say Thank You For The Hard Work Project M Team. I will Be Looking forward to the demo since i haven't touched brawl since brawl+ Died. 14 Characters is more than enough to play with not add some of the great stages as well. Good luck with the rest of your efforts.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Hey, how do you think I feel? :p

My mains in Brawl: Meta Knight (not in the demo) and Pokemon Trainer (not in the demo)
My mains in Melee: Ice Climbers (not in the demo), Marth, Pichu (not in the demo) and Donkey Kong (not in the demo)

RuKeN

Smash Journeyman
It's is the greatest and the best mod of brawl

Only for this, brawl will be playable XD

skaterbaj

Smash Lord
so this demo can be played on any wii? i have a friend with his wii updated to current wii standards or w/e..With and sd card and copy of brawl he will be able to play this demo when released?

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I think everything will be included in a pack, so it'll be easy to get the demo working. You'll just need to load it all on your SD card, run it through Gecko that will be in the pack and voilà.

I wonder if there is going to be a custom channel.

shanus

Smash Hero
All you need is brawl, sd card and a wii. The game can be played regardless of any OS due to exploit in brawl, so it can be played in any form.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
So what all has to be wrapped up before the demo is released? Also, any luck on a more specific ETA at this point? I'm salivating over the vids, and can't wait to get my hands on the demo.

[edit]
If I make you guys better graphics could I become part of the team xD?

For a prime example visit the tournament site that I'm developing for a major ATL South tournament: www.msusmash.com

DiamondbodySharpshooter

Smash Journeyman
The way they are distributing the game, you need an SD card, a copy of Brawl, and a wii. Nothing else.

Ok, the day the demo comes out, someone should consider making a video or something. I can probably do a good picture guide, but nothing says fun like a video run.

shanus

Smash Hero
So what all has to be wrapped up before the demo is released? Also, any luck on a more specific ETA at this point? I'm salivating over the vids, and can't wait to get my hands on the demo.

[edit]
If I make you guys better graphics could I become part of the team xD?

For a prime example visit the tournament site that I'm developing for a major ATL South tournament: www.msusmash.com
We are just tightening up any last minute tweaks / bugs to characters really.

For example, last night we figured out how to address electric hitlag inconsistencies for the attacker/victim ratio.

Additionally, I'm trying to tighten up true melee-esque CCing from the hackish CC currently present, which still needs some final discoveries from the module for enabling ASDI downwards from grounded hits.

We also need to build up our installation programs, and finish up some graphics (i.e. SSS, CSS menus) for the demo.

Our development process is full of innovation day after day, so it's really unpredictable what major milestones could be reached by early February :-P

Scufo

Smash Apprentice
If I understand correctly, all you will need to do is put P:M on your SD card, put the card in your Wii, load up Brawl, and go to Stage Builder.

That's how it worked with B+ anyway.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
@Shanus
Thanks for the info. I'm really hoping that you guys work out the crouch canceling issue. That seems to be the big thing on that list.

shanus

Smash Hero
yeah, CCing in its true melee incarnation might not be realized in the demo, but its certainly possible.

Finalized engine stuff such as landing detection, Nontumble DI, and the like will likely be final release stuff.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I wonder... how will the IC's Chaingrabs work? It's nice to have some CGs in the game ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom