• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
<Dantarion>: WATER IS A HAZARD OMFG ITS LIKE EVERY GAME EVER
<MonkUnit>: Make it better
<MonkUnit>: AQUA BRAWL
<MonkUnit>: nonoono
<MonkUnit>: Water: M

.Guu~

Smash Cadet
To be serious, can you guys just do away with the water mechanics altogether?

Wow, I missed a lot.
I think it should vary depending on the stage. Because imo delfino plaza basically needs water to be a decent stage, unless you freeze it in one of its mid-air forms.
But the removal of water mechanics (and freezing the stage, among other things) could potentially help make pirate ship a counter pick.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I think it should vary depending on the stage. Because imo delfino plaza basically needs water to be a decent stage, unless you freeze it in one of its mid-air forms.
But the removal of water mechanics (and freezing the stage, among other things) could potentially help make pirate ship a counter pick.
Only stage that has melee water at this point in time is jungle japes.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
There is a Melee water, featureless Pirate Ship (the KoRL still shows up though) on Brawl Vault I think. It's pretty decent, tbh.

.Guu~

Smash Cadet
Only stage that has melee water at this point in time is jungle japes.
I doubt they're ONLY including Melee stages. Delfino is a perfectly viable stage with Brawl Water. So, like I said, it should be stage-dependent.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Melee water is going to be stage dependent. And we are obviously not going to have only melee stages. We are still keeping brawl stages.

EDIT:
*** ESAM is now known as *****wrinkle
<MonkUnit>: PMBR getting work done obv

jalued

Smash Lord
wasnt there an idea concerning water, that it would act as reduced falling gravity but also restrict jumps more (as if it was actual water), rather than the stupid flailing animation

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
I deem P:M to be a much better game then Brawl. I think I will erase all my Brawl data (maybe except custom stages) and then start from scratch once P:M comes out.

Also, xGrimTuesdayx said that the developers need to find if landing detection is a global or local variable?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I deem P:M to be a much better game then Brawl. I think I will erase all my Brawl data (maybe except custom stages) and then start from scratch once P:M comes out.
Might be worth it if it means playing through 1P modes again.

1P is freaking amazing in PM.

The King Of Hearts

Smash Journeyman
check out pasific Pirate ship. Its no obsticles, no water, no giant rock or bombs. The tornado still comes and lifts ship up but no wind effects and gravity :)

http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=4075

I'm working on how water is.
Kevin Costner?

Also, xGrimTuesdayx said that the developers need to find if landing detection is a global or local variable?
I could give you a hug.... no homo.. handcuffs are optional

Dantarion

Smash Champion
As for the water, we are toying with the idea of sharply reducing the amount of time you are allowed to swim, and making it so that repeatedly jumping in and out of the water does NOT help you stay in the water longer.

Pretty much, being in the water will be like being offstage, where you need to get back onstage as soon as possible.
On delphino and pirate ship, this will cause people to rethink how they play the stage, as falling in the water COULD mean death every single time, even if your opponent doesnt have a spike. (In fact, jumping into the water to spike will be crazy risky.)

10squirtle

Ulevo

Smash Master
With a type of water system like that implemented, wouldn't it make sense to apply water to Jungle Japes as well? Slow the water down a bit and I think it would work well.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
With a type of water system like that implemented, wouldn't it make sense to apply water to Jungle Japes as well? Slow the water down a bit and I think it would work well.
Possibly. Until we get a set of codes we can use to tweak the water however we want, we can't make that kind of decision. What we will probably do is make the codes, then have people playtest the water stages, attempting to abuse/use the water mechanics.

Then we can decide from there.

Revven

FrankerZ
To be perfectly honest, because JJ is a Melee stage it should act like it is a Melee stage, this means the water should be how it was in Melee (which it is right now). The whole idea to bringing back stages is to replay them the way they were made not add onto them because it's a new game and there's new mechanics.

The water just doesn't work there even if you do slow it down, the fact that you have to go into the water and jump back out + a klap trap does not make for a very fun stage much less does it even retain the nostalgia of the original stage because of the added water.

Sakurai changed other Melee stages too (Hyrule Temple has no ledge on the bottom right cave area for example whereas in Melee it does) which ruins the nostalgia for those stages as well. He picked the worst Melee stages in the first place too anyway so I guess when you have JJ + Brawl water you don't really get a lot more love from that when JJ wasn't really loved in the first place.

Edit: Plus making JJ the only water stage not have Brawl water makes it even more unique.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Agreed. Melee stages should be exactly how they were in Melee (or as close as possible), and SSB64 stages should be exactly how they were in SSBS64 (or as close as possible). Meaning, Hyrule should be Hyrule, not a competitively viable changed Hyrule. etc. etc.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Just saying, I remember seeing codes similar to "Touching the ledge 5 times in a row makes you auto get-up" in other hacks, in the same breath, wouldn't it be possible to make a code "Go into the water X times before touching the ground and auto-drown" or something?

Revven

FrankerZ
That is already apart of that code but we don't want to use that as it doesn't fix swimming at all it just hurts it, a easy way of dealing with it rather than fixing it.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
We can just make jumping out of the water reduce the swim timer. As of right now, if you land in the water, and jump out, the swim timer stops until you hit the water again. We want to make it so that jumping out repeatedly decreases the swim timer to the point where you only get maybe 1 or 2 tries to get back on stage.

Kati

Smash Lord
For ssb64 stages, would wall-jumping be taken away from all of the collisions?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Agreed. Melee stages should be exactly how they were in Melee (or as close as possible), and SSB64 stages should be exactly how they were in SSBS64 (or as close as possible). Meaning, Hyrule should be Hyrule, not a competitively viable changed Hyrule. etc. etc.
Hyrule Castle was already competitively viable. I believe it's already been said that no character can lock down others on walls anymore.

If you meant Hyrule Temple, that stage was always a disaster and I'm looking forward to what Shadic and/or other stage hackers are doing with it.

Rostigalen

Smash Journeyman
I dunno about you, but I think Hyrule Temple is a pretty fun stage to just chillax with friends. I believe that the original shouldn't be removed. I wouldn't oppose to a Temple:M, but only on the conditions that the original is kept in.

Edit: Lol, turtle'd by half an hour

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
Will Squirtle be able to swim for more time?
Or that would make you have to make sonic auto drown everytime? lol

edit: You know, you can just have any stages you want in the game. Just change it yourself and there's no problem.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I wouldn't mind sonic drowning after 120 frames. lololol

More importantly, I am trying to remove the spiking part of pirate ship, I am having little luck right now. As we all know, hitboxes are attached to bones, the bone in the front of the ship was ShinukiHeadN, Shibuki means splash in japanese, and ShibukiHeadN is the ONLY bone in that front bow area where it spikes. I renamed it and it did not remove the spike, it gave me this.

I am trying to remove the spiking because I am going to try and make pirate ship with melee water, but i need to remove the spike to make the melee water legit imo.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Did you not see the simultaneous updates by shanus from a week ago or so? I'm only asking because I haven't seen your user name around here for quite some time (can't blame you for that either, heh).

If you're wondering what I'm talking about, slope traction and... something else that I can't remember was fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom