• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Preemptive warning:

With footstooling, ICs will probably have a Popo dthrow/fthrow -> Nana footstool -> Popo jab reset CG. If you can still SDI up to escape jab resets, this will be escapable, but otherwise, it will likely continue until ICs reach the edge of the stage (and if bthrow -> footstool is possible, then it would be an infinite).

I know you haven't touched ICs much, but I like to think about these things. >_<

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
Accidental footstools are the bane of my existence. I approach with an aerial.. i foot stool thus getting sent 20 feet higher than what i want to be.. the effects of this are: 1. my whole combo/approach is ruined.
2. i'm WAAAY too high in the air and i have to fight my sorry *** back to the ground before i get killed. (not helped by how floaty brawl is)
3. it COMPLETELY breaks my flow. I could be moving at marth speed and the moment i accidently footstool i slow down like hell until i regain my momentum e.e
it's.
irritating.

thank god you people fixed it.

edit: oh and your opponent getting a kill on you that they shouldn't have is pretty **** annoying as well <_<

ynnek123

Smash Ace
Accidental footstools are the bane of my existence. I approach with an aerial.. i foot stool thus getting sent 20 feet higher than what i want to be.. the effects of this are: 1. my whole combo/approach is ruined.
2. i'm WAAAY too high in the air and i have to fight my sorry *** back to the ground before i get killed. (not helped by how floaty brawl is)
3. it COMPLETELY breaks my flow. I could be moving at marth speed and the moment i accidently footstool i slow down like hell until i regain my momentum e.e
it's.
irritating.

thank god you people fixed it.

edit: oh and your opponent getting a kill on you that they shouldn't have is pretty **** annoying as well <_<
If you approach with an aerial and footstool instead, isnt your spacing kind of.. non-existent? o.O I agree though that random footstools by accident are annoying.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
If you approach with an aerial and footstool instead, isnt your spacing kind of.. non-existent? o.O I agree though that random footstools by accident are annoying.
well ya. it doesn't happen often to me. it actually happens less now that i stopped full hopping by short hop - double jump'ing and that i started spacing better.

i full hop - f air - fast fall so the second slash hits.
oh, and it happens when i try to double jump - fast fall back air

the double jumping to full hop thing is what screwed me over.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Ok so do to some strange happenings my electricity and water have been out at my house so I've been away for a few days. Anyone think they could some up anything I've missed in the last 4 or 5 days? Leave out the bickering of course.

CorteX

Smash Cadet
so I played some P:M today at a tournament.
well.. sorry but it doesn't even come close to melee (yet).
it still feels floaty even tho the physics are ported.
i played some captain falcon and all my wavelands while hanging on the ledge failed.
the timings are off, l-cancelling doesnt seem perfect either yet.
airdodges go way too far and his upB has a very weird momentum.
I didn't test other characters since everyone wanted a chance at playing this and I went back to play melee.
i don't like the tone this game sets. it doesn't feel like melee or brawl at all, it feels like a dirty hack instead of a good modification.

I'm not here to troll or discourage any of you guys but now I see how hard it is to port every aspect from melee to brawl.
Makes me wonder if it is even possible.
Anyway there are certain things that are good as well and I like the way you guys are going.
Maybe falcon is just trash in this build, I was certainly not impressed with him.
If he is, I'd like to see that changed and put on the site as a dojo entry :D

Keep it going guys, I know this project is far from easy but on the other hand I saw what DID work and that kinda impressed me.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
You should have played Fox or Falco. They are a lot more polished than C.F is.

Landing detection hasn't been fixed yet, which is probably why l-cancelling and wavelands and stuff feel off to you.

You also have somewhat of a narrow view since you only played one character.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
it still feels floaty even tho the physics are ported.
That doesn't even...
i played some captain falcon and all my wavelands while hanging on the ledge failed.
That's because of landing detection.
the timings are off,
Specifics would be helpful.
l-cancelling doesnt seem perfect either yet.
You can't L-cancel during hitlag yet.
airdodges go way too far
I'm pretty sure they've been matched, but I'll look into it.
and his upB has a very weird momentum.
What?
i don't like the tone this game sets. it doesn't feel like melee or brawl at all, it feels like a dirty hack instead of a good modification.
What... does that even mean?

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
His perception is spot on for first time playing. It's the same way I reacted. Same way most react. Landing detection throws everything about the game off slightly more then an HDTV would. So without having time to adjust you have a feeling of wtf!

AeonClock

Smash Apprentice
There's a reason for all the issues you have. This project is FAR from done and I don't think it's fair to be so critical of a WIP. Maybe you didn't mean to sound like a prick, but saying it felt like a "dirty hack" kind of made me think of you as one.
That said, you have valid points. It's nice to see some un-biased input from people that aren't involved/haven't been following the project for a long time :)

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Project M. I had heard it before involving Nasa but I couldn't think of where else I heard it.

THEN! I watched Fightclub. I heard them say Project Mayhem.

If we are looking for another name besides Project Melee why not go with Project Mayhem? Or Maybe Super Smash Bros Mayhem! :bee:

kaizo13

Smash Champion
There's a reason for all the issues you have. This project is FAR from done and I don't think it's fair to be so critical of a WIP. Maybe you didn't mean to sound like a prick, but saying it felt like a "dirty hack" kind of made me think of you as one.
That said, you have valid points. It's nice to see some un-biased input from people that aren't involved/haven't been following the project for a long time :)
i fully support this project and i don't believe CorteX said anything that was far from the truth.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
There's a reason for all the issues you have. This project is FAR from done and I don't think it's fair to be so critical of a WIP.
eh, criticism is the only real way we can notice things we wouldn't have normally.
though all of the things CorteX mentioned we know about already.

G

genkaku

He does raise an interesting point, though. I understand that this isn't melee and I personally wouldn't mind either way regardless, but do you think that eventually you will be able to perfectly match melee, or will there always be some small unresolvable issues?

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
He does raise an interesting point, though. I understand that this isn't melee and I personally wouldn't mind either way regardless, but do you think that eventually you will be able to perfectly match melee, or will there always be some small unresolvable issues?
melee-style buffer. perfect spikes. wall grapple.

no they already said they can't perfectly match it.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
we can't perfectly match it yet. it's probably possible. but eh... some things are better left not matched to melee.
like jiggs' bair.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
OMGWTF NOT JIGGZ' B AIR! BLASPHEMY!!

inb4riot

i thought we established that jiggz will be nerfed simply because there will be more viable characters and more possible counters. oh, and that her bair isn't disjointed very much @_@ or something like that..

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
We will restore her Bair to Melee glory.
Don't worry.
Even if a developer comes in here saying it should be left as is, that doesn't mean we aren't changing it.
As we have made pretty clear, Melee top tiers will be restored to EVERY bit as good as they were in Melee. Other characters will be brought to their level.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
Or mewtwo :(
inorite ;_; Taj does not approve.

Don't worry.
Even if a developer comes in here saying it should be left as is, that doesn't mean we aren't changing it.
As we have made pretty clear, Melee top tiers will be restored to EVERY bit as good as they were in Melee. Other characters will be brought to their level.

so wait.. what's the standard for characters to be brought up to? on par with fox? marth? jiggz? falcon? mewtwo?(not him. this isn't brawl- <_<)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Don't worry.
you mean like falco's jab and fair
or fox's utilt animation

D

Deleted member

Falco's vBrawl fair + Melee shine is good. Shine fair does like 30 damage total.

Its just as situational as his Melee fair was, but Melee fair has its uses that Brawl fair doesn't. You can't fair to fsmash with Brawl's version.

Melee fair would probably be the best bet anyway what with retaining the feel of a character and the utility of the moveset.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
In the hundreds of melee matches i've watched, i've seen falco do fair like.. twice.. i'm sure brawl fair won't corrupt the character into something unrecognizable. He'll be fine.
Also, sneak said brawl's fair in melee physics is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom