• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
......did i see something about a mini beta??

will it be like all the melee chars only?
omg if this happens i'll love you guys forever >.< in a non-homo way obviously.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I was actually ready to shoot that idea down until even some devs were saying that would've been a good idea; I suppose if you got the main set of characters completed, it'd still be acceptable. I think the idea was to release a beta with the high and top tier Melee characters (the characters that had the most work done to them except Marth and are the most used) and Melee physics so that people could get a very good feel for PM that also won't be lacking in characters for the time being seeing as how a huge number of people will play the high/top tier characters.

Then there's the vast number of stages available that are going to be awesome.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Having a beta with a small roster is one idea we've had on the table for a little while, and may yet happen.

Non playable character would, of course, have their .pac files removed so you can't get around our custom CSS :p
Well, there's this post.

But they didn't say it was going to happen.
Yet.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
My goal for Link includes a boomerang relatively similar to Melee's, with a bit of 64 mixed in. Part of the boomerang problem is that if Link doesn't catch it, it takes forever for it to "respawn" to Link so that he can throw it again. Just yesterday I did the checked timing in Melee to fix that issue.

The arrows have a lot higher gravity in Melee, allowing you to disrupt some people attempting to recover low. That's another thing I'm going to implement, but they're going to charge faster, so you have a wider range of use/angles without attempting the coding terror that would be an angled bow.

Keep in mind this is for a testbed build that I'm working on independently, and there's a chance not all of my ideas will be incorporated in the final product.
Sounds good, no word on the camera though?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I don't know how that was relevant to the quote >_>.

What are you specifically asking about?

Revven

FrankerZ
The camera has been fixed to the point where it can be fixed, it's zoomed in more and is faster. Any problems with the camera that remain lie in the stage cameras themselves which I don't think we'd mess with (unless we'd absolutely have to like the stage is ******** with a whack camera or something).

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Wasn't there some commentary on Wario Ware's camera showing comparatively a large amount of the main block? Look at BF's which doesn't show much of the main platform compared to WW which shows a large amount of the main block.

Was that fixed/changed? It's not a big deal, but someone brought it up and that was quite noticeable.

Revven

FrankerZ
No it was not, like I said before, if there's anything wrong with the camera it's the stage camera(s) themselves and would have to be looked at in a case by case basis.

I wish people would stop asking about the camera, it's mentioned like every thirty pages. There's tons of other things FAR more important each of us are working on at the moment and our main stage creator does not have the time and probably not much of the care to go back and look at each stage's camera and make it closer while he's already plenty busy with DL64 and other new stages.

The camera, my point is, not done yet.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Thanks for answering. I always thought his up b would make an interesting combo move to get people up into the air, but you could never do anything after it in melee, and in vbrawl there wasn't enough hitstun to do anything worthwhile.

So, are there any other amazing discoveries Dantarion has found yet?

Spike222

Smash Cadet
Is it possible for you to change voices around? I always thought Wolf's voice in the american version was bad, but in the Japanese version he sounded awesome.

Just a suggestion, since I notice you modified some other sounds :]

Great work so far, very impressive.

bleyva

Smash Ace
actually i read Shell's post when i said that <_< so.. you're wrong.
shell's post was an offhanded response to several non-members arbitrarily fleshing out the details of an imaginary 6-character beta, he promised nothing. dont kid yourself.

this kind of thing seems to be getting more and more common in this thread.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
shell's post was an offhanded response to several non-members arbitrarily fleshing out the details of an imaginary 6-character beta, he promised nothing. dont kid yourself.

Funny, I can't seem to recall Sora ever saying that he thought that this beta was definitely going to happen. :ohwell:

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Super-disorganized post warning

I've never posted here, but I am very interested in this project. How are the ICs coming along?

I watched a video of Chu a while ago and it looks like Nana has the usual Brawl AI. I know nothing of coding, but I'd guess that trying to somehow important or replicate Nana's Melee AI isn't practical. If that is the case, then you can't expect to make ICs much like Melee ICs; for one thing, very few of the bread-and-butter desynchs would work. DD and pivot desynchs are the only ones that would probably be practical; another thing is that Brawl-esque blizzard walling would probably be possible, although that would likely only make a difference against floaty characters. None of this is intrinsically bad and I actually think this sort of Brawl/Melee hybrid ICs would be pretty neat.

A few specific questions, most of which aren't all that important, but I'm just curious about:

-Can Nana still perform squall hammer and belay on her own? If not, then ICs could still do belay OoS and jump -> squall OoS desynchs.

-Does the last hit of synced side-B still knock people up as it does in Brawl? That would make the move more useful as a combo tool or approach option, although I'd guess that it's still not great.

-How does Nana behave after grabbing an opponent? In Melee, she throws randomly unless close to an edge in which case she throws towards it (if near two edges, she opts for bthrow). Brawl-esque infinites will still be possible if you can control the way she throws.

-Do any of the old CGs still work? I'd guess that dthrow -> dair and the solo IC dthrow CGs would work in some cases, although to a lesser extent due to the new DI.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Super-disorganized post warning
-Can Nana still perform squall hammer and belay on her own? If not, then ICs could still do belay OoS and jump -> squall OoS desynchs.
i'm pretty sure their OoS game right ow forces a desync, so belay and squall would be weird (the first useless, the second very punishable)

-Does the last hit of synced side-B still knock people up as it does in Brawl? That would make the move more useful as a combo tool or approach option, although I'd guess that it's still not great.
right now the move is pretty much the brawl version. it still pops up iirc.

-How does Nana behave after grabbing an opponent? In Melee, she throws randomly unless close to an edge in which case she throws towards it (if near two edges, she opts for bthrow). Brawl-esque infinites will still be possible if you can control the way she throws.
nana has brawl AI, meaning brawl CGs are still very much in right now. the hard part is going to be getting the grabs to function like they did in melee (blizzard/etc. doesn't force release). that with the melee decay mechanic should make them less ridiculous. we want grab combos, not brawl infinites.

-Do any of the old CGs still work? I'd guess that dthrow -> dair and the solo IC dthrow CGs would work in some cases, although to a lesser extent due to the new DI.
again, the grabs still function like brawl, so most things don't set up.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
brawl foxes biggest problems imo are his head, ridiculous shoes, terrible voice, bad animations, and really dumbed down colors (ie. blue fox isn't nearly as purple, etc)
Looks like I am the only one who prefers the Star Fox Command design lol.

about the voice, his japanese voice actor is the same as melee/japanese star fox 64 I think, that would be easily resolved.

Too bad I lost the stream, wanted to see shiz playing again.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Most, if not all, cases of trip-causing moves do not have that effect excluding the obvious Diddy bananas. That may be subject to change too, but please do not discuss that.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace

You need to chill. He said the idea was on the table for a while or something which is why i asked. Did i once say i thought it was a sure thing? No. Is this issue really important enough to argue about? No. Should you just drop it now? I have no idea. Figure it out i guess.

Edit: What GrimTuesday said.

loltrippingargument. Ya be careful mentioning that <_< It'll start an idiotic 40 page argument.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
man, a huge train of giant melee tourneys are lining up. do you guys expect to have a spot man at each? i know pound 5 is a guarantee, but genesis 2, ROM3, the apex in the winter, the next CATA...really, it's looking like an eventful year, and having a setup somewhere at them with an advanced version of p:M could do wonders!

man, being a fan of this and melee with a schedule like this coming up. there are no words i can fathom to describe...

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
man, a huge train of giant melee tourneys are lining up. do you guys expect to have a spot man at each? i know pound 5 is a guarantee, but genesis 2, ROM3, the apex in the winter, the next CATA...really, it's looking like an eventful year, and having a setup somewhere at them with an advanced version of p:M could do wonders!

man, being a fan of this and melee with a schedule like this coming up. there are no words i can fathom to describe...
I should be at all of them

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
From that video, Link still looks like low tier garbage, well he's not really in focus now anyways right?

Sterowent

Smash Ace
right. it's for those impressions primarily that they aren't shown. that, and becoming too clung to the way a new character works that people become stubborn with change. i dunno if the japanese realize who's complete enough for presentation...

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Dantarion has also taken some peeks into the AI code for various characters... I don't know how much we can recreate Nana AI, but time will tell.

As shanus said, ICs haven't gotten enough love yet since they're both tricky to edit and we don't have enough people playing them to provide input, but they will get done sooner or later. Perhaps once we get them in a bit better shape you can join our playtesting efforts and help refine them, Fly Amanita.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I saw a Video where they swapped Mario's AI with Sheiks and as a result sheik attempted needle gimps. If all the AI is messed around with then in the future Playing against LVL 9 CPU's could actually give you great preparation for human competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom