• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
metwos dtilt *****, would be cool on lucario with a sweeping kick or something imo
lucario sucks

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
The point is. The developers have stated several times that they will not replace Lucario or replace any of his moves for Mewtwo or Mewtwo's moves. Arguments are void. Supporting or being against reviving Mewtwo as long as there is no clone engine holds little ground.

Also, Mewtwo has unique or iconic moves. Nair, anyone? Wait, nevermind, I guess Lucas's nair works similarly ish

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
The point is. The developers have stated several times that they will not replace Lucario or replace any of his moves for Mewtwo or Mewtwo's moves. Arguments are void.

Also, Mewtwo has unique or iconic moves. Nair, anyone?
almost all of his moves are unique and iconic. did they say they wouldn't replace moves though? whatever it's their project

^^^^no their nairs aren't similar lmao, the biggest similarity is that they're both nairs haha

Rudra

Smash Ace
metwos dtilt *****, would be cool on lucario with a sweeping kick or something imo
lucario sucks
Lucario would like to learn the move Low Kick...

Seriously, what next, replacing Force Palm with Brick Break? *facepalm*

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Um, yes they are. Mewtwo and Lucas's nair are both combo machines that you use for similar reasons.

And all of Mewtwo's moves iconic? Several of his moves share similarties between moves present in brawl.....he doesn't have many iconic moves at all, besides his specials..

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
Um, yes they are. Mewtwo and Lucas's nair are both combo machines that you use for similar reasons.

And all of Mewtwo's moves iconic? Several of his moves share similarties between moves present in brawl.....he doesn't have many iconic moves at all, besides his specials..
haha no, mewtwo's nair is more of a gtfo thats knocks people down and can somtimes be follwed up and you can't combo in brawl so stop
"iconic" also i said "most of"
d-tilt
nair
fair
nair
specials
d-smash
but whatever

actually here watch the first like 3 minutes of this, how many "combo machine" nairs do you see? as opposed to dtilt. fair, bair, etc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIsrasOuuNA

here's a better example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aQ6YGX-vNs
that's taj, notice all the "combo machine nairs on the first two stocks, he uses nair to come up from the ledge and once to cover his landing, all of his combos are from d-tilit, u-throw, fari, u-air, b-air etc

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
L/A/W I feel like you've never tried out vBrawl Lucas before. His N-air does combo.
ok i thought we were talking about lucario haha, but my point still stands
yeah iori is pure ****
Rpsi, you don't combo in brawl 90% of the time

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
haha no, mewtwo's nair is more of a gtfo thats knocks people down and can somtimes be follwed up and you can't combo in brawl so stop
d-tilt
nair
fair
nair
specials
d-smash
but whatever

Well perhaps I was wrong on his nair, but his moves aren't iconic or unique.

Many characters have a sweeping down tilt. Just because he uses his tail doesn't mean it's unique :/
Lucas's nair, while functioning differently ( I guess), looks similar because of the electric shocky stuff.
Bowser and Ganon's fairs have a similar motion to Mewtwo's fair. However, Wolf is the prime example here. His is the same swipe with his arm, and sends at a similar trajectory (mostly upwards).
Mewtwo does have a fairly unique bair, I'll admit.
His neutral b = lucario's.
Mewtwo's up b is sort of similar to pikachu's warps, but it is unique.
His side b and down b are the few "very unique" moves I say he has, even though his side b was pretty much useless for flipping people...
His down smash is the same as lucas's....only lucas's hits behind him and is electric

tl;dr: Mewtwo's side b, down b, the functioning of nair, and bair are unique. That's it.

but, I concede defeat.

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
Well perhaps I was wrong on his nair, but his moves aren't iconic or unique.

Many characters have a sweeping down tilt. Just because he uses his tail doesn't mean it's unique :/
Lucas's nair, while functioning differently ( I guess), looks similar because of the electric shocky stuff.
Bowser and Ganon's fairs have a similar motion to Mewtwo's fair. However, Wolf is the prime example here. His is the same swipe with his arm, and sends at a similar trajectory (mostly upwards).
Mewtwo does have a fairly unique bair, I'll admit.
His neutral b = lucario's.
Mewtwo's up b is sort of similar to pikachu's warps, but it is unique.
His side b and down b are the few "very unique" moves I say he has, even though his side b was pretty much useless for flipping people...
His down smash is the same as lucas's....only lucas's hits behind him and is electric

tl;dr: Mewtwo's side b, down b, the functioning of nair, and bair are unique. That's it.

but, I concede defeat.
ok cool haha
rpsi infracted me during this though ahah
also d-smash i had to sneak that one in
and his side b can pull people through stages, most notably battlefield
but lets end this i don't want RPis to ban me

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Ha okay.

Moving on!

What are your guys' plans for Yoshi? Is he getting his melee side tilt back? I loved that little kick he does :3 if not oh well.
And please tell me you're not keeping his little tail wag bair from Melee in. 64 bair pl0x? That was a better-looking tail wag. It just seemed more....manly? I guess

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
My other suggestion would be that his Bow and Arrow be changed so that while charging, it is the same as Pit's- in that it can be aimed either up, down, or to the sides, to allow him to once again, mixup and broaden his play. Arrows are so linear and predictable that most everyone has an easy time against them- but why not use them as part of his wall and setup to aid his stage control? Shoot them up, and you've created an obstacle for your opponent- they know where it will be, but it's still an obstacle that they must work around and you can work into your wall. Shooting it down means he can do something while jumping above his opponent, that would help to make it less of an easy task to juggle him or approach from below. It would mostly just help because his arrows are always an easily avoided obstacle- he starts charging, you just jump out of the line of fire and laugh as you approach him from above or behind- Make his arrows more effective and potent in standard play. Also, I would recommend that you make his arrows start with Melee's much lower initial charge, and make it charge much faster than in Brawl.
Please make this happen. I've wanted aimable arrows since Melee. Arrows shot upwards that come falling back down to the ground after they lose their momentum would be awesome. Also...arrows shot downwards that spike and go through platforms would be amazing.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Wait, since when could Pit aim his arrows downwards? I must be wayyyy tired right now or something.

And wouldn't aimable Link arrows be a ***** to code?

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Wait, since when could Pit aim his arrows downwards? I must be wayyyy tired right now or something.

Well, it probably won't be as troublesome as putting mewtwo aerials on lucario. O_o IMO, btw, lucario's tail =/= mewtwo's tail. I'm perfectly fine with his moveset as is. When it comes to melee characters who didn't make it into brawl, I'd rather see all or nothing brought back.

Edit: I don't think Pit can aim his arrows downwards (I don't have a copy of brawl on me at the moment and I'm too lazy to look this one up) but it could be made to look like link's dair, but replaced with a bow. I'd be cool with that. Well, while we're at it...why not let pit aim his arrows downwards? I don't see him getting much out of it, but it would be nifty nevertheless.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I like that idea. I was reading through Skyler's Link guide and I got to the part about projectiles. He mentioned good uses for Bombs and the Boomerang, but he stated that it's generally best to avoid the Bow. Its coverage is too small compared to the demand of time needed to make it useful. It needs better lockdown abilities and a gravity-based upward shot could really add a unique pressure tech for Link in addition to a far superior range of launch angles with a faster charge.

Link's air game is probably my favorite aspect about him, but his ground game is just not that good. He needs some definite speed up on his ground moves while the only thing I could really ask for out of his air game is a faster, stronger Fair (probably 64 Fair) and the Melee iterations of all his other aerials. One thing that needs to change for sure is the speed on his FTilt. One fairly common attribute of FTilts amongst characters is that it comes out exceptionally fast, has great range, and usually serves as a ledgeguarding or defensive tool. Link has the range, but he lacks the speed in both startup and endlag.

Instead of talking about this, could I personally ask what the developers have in mind for Link? I think a number of us are on the same page in that we feel Link needs a major overhaul to a couple parts of him like his ground game and projectiles (specifically, the Bow).

EDIT: Yeah, I was just thinking that it would be fairly difficult just to code all of that. You'd have to find a means to replicate the falling arrow ordeal and you'd need about 4-5 new animations to accompany it.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
I like that idea. I was reading through Skyler's Link guide and I got to the part about projectiles. He mentioned good uses for Bombs and the Boomerang, but he stated that it's generally best to avoid the Bow. Its coverage is too small compared to the demand of time needed to make it useful. It needs better lockdown abilities and a gravity-based upward shot could really add a unique pressure tech for Link in addition to a far superior range of launch angles with a faster charge.

Link's air game is probably my favorite aspect about him, but his ground game is just not that good. He needs some definite speed up on his ground moves while the only thing I could really ask for out of his air game is a faster, stronger Fair (probably 64 Fair) and the Melee iterations of all his other aerials. One thing that needs to change for sure is the speed on his FTilt. One fairly common attribute of FTilts amongst characters is that it comes out exceptionally fast, has great range, and usually serves as a ledgeguarding or defensive tool. Link has the range, but he lacks the speed in both startup and endlag.

Instead of talking about this, could I personally ask what the developers have in mind for Link? I think a number of us are on the same page in that we feel Link needs a major overhaul to a couple parts of him like his ground game and projectiles (specifically, the Bow).

EDIT: Yeah, I was just thinking that it would be fairly difficult just to code all of that. You'd have to find a means to replicate the falling arrow ordeal and you'd need about 4-5 new animations to accompany it.

also i find it weird how link can aim his arrows in zelda and pit can't(from what i know) aim his arrows in the original kid icarus(at least not as well as link)... and yet..

oh.. and the mirror shield thing.. sakurai makes me rage.

seriously though aimable arrows would be mad legit. angling up and down would probably do just fine. if he could aim down while in the air that'd be pretty sick too.
we don't necessarily need a falling arrow anyway if that's too hard to code. just aiming would be awesome

actually.. i'll stop fantasizing until i'm sure the devs aren't gonna say "no. 10nos."

kaizo13

Smash Champion
ok, i've read every single post since page 1 and i have to say that i quit. I don't know if you guys are trolling or wat but recently this thread is getting alot of bad/unnecessary/unrelated/ridiculous posts

(only reading dev. posts now)

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Who are you talking about?

Besides the rather off-topic posts, there have been serious attempts to delve into changes for some characters.

humble

Smash Ace

He can't, but I don't see why we wouldn't be able to add that feature, it's odd how he points it every cardinal direction except south.

And no, not really. Create a few new animations, add a few new offsets for his B that are If statements regarding directional inputs, which lead to a page we would create with the data saying generate article x (arrow) on y trajectory, attach hitboxes, yada yada. I haven't looked at Link's files, but I assume it is all possible to do and fairly simple.

Speaking of Link, any chance that Zair would be returned to how it was in Melee, by which I mean that the handle is always held relative to his body, but the tip of the clawshot is a free point that Link can move past- It isn't fixed relative to his body, so it's always 5 feet in front of him, but instead, it is shot out 5 feet in front of him at the start, and then is not fixed like in Brawl. Imagine the difference is that in brawl, it's like Falco's blaster kick, where it was basically just a GFX version of a hitbox from Falco's body because it was always relative to him. However in Melee it was like a projectile, where it was relative to the point of origin.

Also, I want cucco bombs and gale boomerang+64 rang. Seriously, let's test it out.

Another thing (yes, this has become another tl;dr post I suppose) is fairly minor, but I thought it might be a fun nod towards Link's new game Skyward Sword, is to replace his sword slash GFX with the intense sky blue from the new concept art we've seen.
[Collapse=]

[/Collapse]

Kaizo13 said:
ok, i've read every single post since page 1 and i have to say that i quit. I don't know if you guys are trolling or wat but recently this thread is getting alot of bad/unnecessary/unrelated/ridiculous posts

(only reading dev. posts now)
Kaizo, I'm sure I've been a part of some of the unrelated, unnecessary, and ridiculous posts (hopefully they weren't bad however) however I want to say that to give up and quit simply because you've become annoyed by the posts is...well, it's the attitude of an apathetic person, and I have no respect for people like that. Kaizo, I have read every single post as well, and allow me to propose this to you; if you see a post you dislike or you feel does not meet the standards of this thread, do not ignore it and get upset, don't pent up you dissatisfaction. If you don't like something that is said, let us know, and let us know why. If someone is trolling, you can contact the moderator- we have rPSI here who is posting often and is interested in keeping this topic free of trolls and is helping to direct active discussion. If you are upset with people's post, help them, don't forsake them. Yes, this topic can get derailed, it can ignite into flamewars temporarily, but why abandon it if you truly support this thread? Please, don't give up on everyone here- we are all here because we all support this project, the intent behind every post is good, no matter how stupid or ridiculous. Don't quit out of dissatisfaction- instead express it and use it to better help the thread, be it by correcting posts that you feel are substandard, or creating positive posts to help the project.

Quitting is giving up, it means you weren't able to go on- and kaizo, you have the strength of character to persevere through the stupidity because you should know by now that the cost of the poor posts in this project is far outweighed by the posts that inspire, compliment, congratulate, reveal, and celebrate. Don't leave now, don't quit, don't ever say you've had enough- you have the power to change it if it isn't good, you have the ability to use your own words, to make the posts that do help the project, that inspire others and help the team. Don't quit because of what others say or do- know that irregardless, the ability to be positive is within you. So stay here and benefit from the sharing, or leave now and regret having walked away from it. Yes, we'll have a whole lot of stupid posts and ideas, but that is the cost of divergent thinking, of having so many contributing such a variety of ideas and posts. You'll find a fair amount of crap for every golden nugget, so don't be discouraged and forage on, help in the process and feedback, and do what is in your power to better this topic for everyone else and yourself.

Darn, I probably just got ignored then. ; _ ;

EDIT:
Who are you talking about?

Besides the rather off-topic posts, there have been serious attempts to delve into changes for some characters.
Probably me and my page-eating rambles.

But yes, I support ontopic discussion. Lets continue to discuss why giving Link cucco bombs and two 'rangs is a great idea, and how it could be made better (without trolling or lasers.)

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
So no one responded to my Yoshi stuff, but w/e.

Another question I had in mind was: If Jigglypuff's rest going to be fire like it was in melee? They made it dark because it was too effective on Ivysaur and weak against Squirtle...are you guys removing type weaknesses for Squirtle and Ivysaur?

humble

Smash Ace
Sneak8288 said:
Anything important happen in the last 15 pages?
not at all.
Well the devs can't constantly make advances, and the thread has been moving really fast, but no, mostly it's been discussion between non-team members, with some ideas, and some trolling.
<3 Link's laser beams

I suggest we get to pestering the devs with questions and suggestions, the age old past time for both getting new information, and by scattering enough ideas we're sure to get some good ones that will help the game.

Also I want to see people support cucco bombs because it's legitimately awesome like pancake dashing...Well, not that awesome, but you get the idea.

SymphonicSage12 said:
So no one responded to my Yoshi stuff, but w/e.
Are you referring to this post? And sure, I'd be happy to respond.
What are your guys' plans for Yoshi? Is he getting his melee side tilt back? I loved that little kick he does :3 if not oh well.
And please tell me you're not keeping his little tail wag bair from Melee in. 64 bair pl0x? That was a better-looking tail wag. It just seemed more....manly? I guess
As of yet there are few established plans for Yoshi as a character, as he has yet to be fully discussed, and none of the devs have given us anything suggesting that they have plans or that any of the ideas as of yet have been worth testing, or rejecting. So at this point, he's another character in need of change, suggestions are always welcome, it can't hurt and we might come up with ways to make Yoshi a better character that the devs approve of. Specifically about those two attacks, I don't think there were any changes planned, but I see no reason why we couldn't experiment with changing those two. As long as there is good reason for the changing of the attack and it makes him better fit the mission statement of P:M, then it'd fit the base criteria to be considered by the team.

symphonicsage12 said:
Another question I had in mind was: If Jigglypuff's rest going to be fire like it was in melee? They made it dark because it was too effective on Ivysaur and weak against Squirtle...are you guys removing type weaknesses for Squirtle and Ivysaur?
I, and most people, probably prefer the old fire rest, so if at all possible, it would be good to restore this move with a fairly simple GFX change.

Unfortunately for the type effectiveness, I have no idea how they are coded and to remove it would require the attention of one of the skilled coders on the team like Dant or Shanus, if it can be done currently at all. If it is possible, then yes, we can reasonably assume they would remove this rather poor mechanic.

I_Am_Plum said:
ProjectM thread... important?
Blasphemy.
Madness.
Sparta.
<3 sarcastic self-deprecating humor~
<3 devs with humor~
<3 Plum~
<3 P:M~
---
So at this point guys let's focus discussion on Yoshi and how he might better work in a P:M environment.

iLink

Smash Champion
No, seriously. Why is he bad?
Terrible approach options. He really just has a hard time getting in. That and he was pretty susceptible to grabs because his spot dodge is so dang slow. He was also surprisingly light but was still prone to combos due to his large size. Also he was pretty open from a ground tech.

shanus

Smash Hero
I am placing an official ban on wall of texts. Concise posts only please, it makes my eyes hurt.

humble

Smash Ace
I am placing an official ban on wall of texts. Concise posts only please, it makes my eyes hurt.
Please tell me you're joking...please. I- I don't understand. What have I ever done to cause you to lash out at me so? Oh Shanus, when did it all go wrong? I never meant to hurt you... Did I truly deserve this? Did I cause you so great a slight that you would harm me so? Wall of texts are all I know... :(

Perhaps more frequent paragraphs? Larger font, with color coded points to differentiate them easier? Indents on every paragraph? More quotes and images to break up the wall of text? Perhaps smileys to facilitate easier transition from points? Numerical or bullet pointed to make the text summarized? Give me some means to aid your consumption of my text without limiting it's quantity, please...

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
Thank god, shanus you going to apex? I'm gonna try to hook up with the md/va ppl and stream after melee is done. Gonna be BEAST. I wanna test my snake out vs more people

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
this please
also sorry wind owl i didn't think youo actually wanted a response to the mewtwo thing but iLink gat the basics, the biggest are tough approaches, large size(susceptible to combos), and light weight

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
Please tell me you're joking...please. I- I don't understand. What have I ever done to cause you to lash out at me so? Oh Shanus, when did it all go wrong? I never meant to hurt you... Did I truly deserve this? Did I cause you so great a slight that you would harm me so? Wall of texts are all I know... :(

Perhaps more frequent paragraphs? Larger font, with color coded points to differentiate them easier? Indents on every paragraph? More quotes and images to break up the wall of text? Perhaps smileys to facilitate easier transition from points? Numerical or bullet pointed to make the text summarized? Give me some means to aid your consumption of my text without limiting it's quantity, please...
more meaningful posts, less tl;dr posts

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I find your posts hilarious, humble but you basically need to remove all of the intellectual filler and get to the point.

shanus

Smash Hero
Thank god, shanus you going to apex? I'm gonna try to hook up with the md/va ppl and stream after melee is done. Gonna be BEAST. I wanna test my snake out vs more people
nah i won't be down there. i'll be lookin for the stream though.

@humble - wall of texts usually are just a failed way of making a point. I prefer the brutal, straight to the point approach since it really saves everyone time and delivers the same argument

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
nah i won't be down there. i'll be lookin for the stream though.

@humble - wall of texts usually are just a failed way of making a point. I prefer the brutal, straight to the point approach since it really saves everyone time and delivers the same argument
d-tilt
nair
fair
nair
specials
d-smash
but whatever

actually here watch the first like 3 minutes of this, how many "combo machine" nairs do you see? as opposed to dtilt. fair, bair, etc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIsrasOuuNA

here's a better example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aQ6YGX-vNs
that's taj, notice all the "combo machine nairs on the first two stocks, he uses nair to come up from the ledge and once to cover his landing, all of his combos are from d-tilit, u-throw, fari, u-air, b-air etc
shanus I agree but everyone be warned you may be infracted haha
I was infracted for the above post, an argument

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom