• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
Do you sincerely believe Nintendo, as a company, gives a **** about competitive Smash or the community around it other than as a potential source of new revenue?
that's how a capitalist company works, yes. you're treating it as if kicking your puppy is going to be a profit margin, drop the useless cynicism

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
that's how a capitalist company works, yes. you're treating it as if kicking your puppy is going to be a profit margin, drop the useless cynicism
So there is no upside, and you just agreed with me? Ok then.

And your larger point is wrong and much more cynical, plenty of developers (gamers themselves) do geniunely care about their community's healthy competitive scene. Yes, apart from the profits.

Nintendo and the Smash developers have never done so, they don't cater to us and my opinion is based on that history.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
so... what's the "profit" behind your point then? do you really, sincerely believe nintendo's (admittedly piss) lawyers banning streams somehow makes a profit? your argument is a general one, rather than anything specific to us in the slightest. I suppose I was assuming otherwise.

triforce isn't some guy who got ahold of nintendo PR. he basically got reggie on speed dial, and I would go as far as to argue that he's the major factor behind smash at evo still happening. you're right if you don't trust him with anything else--but here, he's got something big.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
W
Do you remember back in the day, when Nintendo cared about their fans?
Neither do I.
But I do remember the lets play affair, and how Japan gets exclusive games, and how they tried to shut down melee at evo.
According to Nintendo kicking your puppy is a profit margin.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
going back to my first point: do you really, sincerely believe nintendo is a single entity and personality, as opposed to their law division just being definitively awful

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Yes, I did in fact play video games back in the N64/GBC era.
I did to but I was just a little kid, the point is every single person on smashboards is a Nintendo fan at heart, otherwise we wouldn't be playing their games. But even though this community is so large Nintendo still ****s on us, and it shows through all their ****ty games and systems. Hopefully this interest with Nintendo will have a positive effect, but I still think they just want squeeze money out of us.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
fun fact: they explicitly enforced a fanbase because that's a sure-fire way to get a consistent amount of money. there is quite literally no way around this reality, but people use it to add to this single personality of nintendo as if it were a single person. this is why you all treat it either like a nurturing parent or someone who murdered your whole family

stop treating a corporation as a person, start treating it as what it is; a very large group of people working at once, each within their own flaws and strengths. do this, and you'll understand a lot of things. actually while you're at it, never touching brand obsessiveness ever is a good idea too, console wars are dumb and you're dumb if you take part in it.

last post from me on the matter, sorry about that

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
According to Nintendo:

1. Plumbing is not an admirable way to make a living. It's much more than that, filled with toilet adventures and creatures to best and wonderful people to talk to. Hopefully that's all *before* the Acid trip wears off. Unclog the problem and flush it away, along with your dreams and your sanity.

2. Slavery is OK. Look at Chain Chomps: they play it off saying look it's like a doggie! Like a pet! Those are just friendly euphemisms that bury their real intentions of caricaturing and keeping the black man down.

3. Evolution is not only real, but unfathomable and to the extreme. Goombas can FLY! What a ****ing terror my god think of the children Nintendo.

4. Sometimes you don't need the most powerful hardware to have a good time. Sometimes all you need are 5000 Mario games and the worst third party support to ever grace this Good Green Earth. If you can do a half bowling motion from under your crotch with a Wiimote, then congratulations! You probably try too hard and don't have friends.

These are but a mere snippet of the Nintendo Philosophy. A company who said NO to the mere redundancy of only making trading cards, and who said yes to Turtle v Human warfare.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
Jeez what on Earth did Nintendo ever do to you guys? The only thing I can thing of is the LP thing, which was well within Nintendo's legal rights to do.

Also, related, this is a funny, informative, and altogether great talk about the modern world's inane false sense of entitlement [NSFW]: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpUNA2nutbk

It doesn't mention this exact circumstance, but the same logic applies here.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
whether or not it's within their legal rights isn't relevant. they're still interfering with a perfectly fine and healthy niche of their fanbase that for all intents and purposes advertises their games for them.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It raised a flag. My flag. My big, beautiful flag.

Oracle

Smash Master
actually its arguably not in their legal rights to take down lets plays, since use of the game would probably fall under the fair use policy. nintendo just knows its the biggest fish in the pond so nobody is gonna challenge them

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Nintendo can easily demand a share of any stream revenue, however miniscule that may be, and force the stream be taken down by the website if the user is noncompliant or sue any hosting service who doesn't follow their cease and desist commandments.

It's not just a matter of shutting down the streams, but trying to control them knowing that few have the money to fight it in court.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
once nintendo gave me a rly big noogie in front of all the kids at school and I was so embarrassed

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Also been wondering (not kill this discussion, like you guys mentioned they could pry kill P:M if they wanted just like Hasbro did to Fighting Is Magic). Depending on how popular Melee gets, gamecube controller depletion could be closer than we think

<DangerOnTheRanger>: hey |3rian
<DangerOnTheRanger>: saw what you said about CEO - sweet
<chaos>: about Maylay at CEO?
<DangerOnTheRanger>: yup
<chaos>: "We've already earned spots at multiple FGC events for the future (including Canada Cup, Northwest Majors, NCR, CEO, and potentially EVO2014). We have a great lineup of grassroots events on the horizon (Big House 3, RoM 6, etc)."
<MaxThunder>: melee is gonna be at The Gathering next year... a major norwegian gaming event=P...
<MaxThunder>: was there as a side tourney and was so popular the TG people decided to have it as official tourney next year=P...
<T0rnado>: awesome
<T0rnado>: it's weird how the game is 12 years old and is now seemingly gaining more attention\
<Mad}>: The controller lacking apocalypse is upon us
<T0rnado>: GC controllers havent been made in 6(?) years
<T0rnado>: my friend is stocked up on them, he has like 5/6
<T0rnado>: I am immune to the apocalypse
<Pinkie_Pie>: white gcn controllers stopped being made since 2008
<Pinkie_Pie>: about 5
<T0rnado>: Nintendo will NEVER create more GC controllers because some 'maniacs' play a 12 year old game and take it very seriously even though it wasn't intended that way
(04:46:33 PM) DangerOnTheRanger: I think I'm sort of agreeing with T0rnado on this one.
(04:47:05 PM) DarkSim left the room (quit: Read error: Connection reset by peer).
(04:47:24 PM) T0rnado: sakurai stated that he also won't be taking any advice from pro players in the balancing aspect of smash 4
(04:47:48 PM) T0rnado: but.. what do we do when the apocalypse is upon us?
(04:47:56 PM) T0rnado: all of us will fall
(04:47:58 PM) T0rnado: one by one
(04:48:01 PM) T0rnado: imagine at a big tourney
(04:48:01 PM) DangerOnTheRanger: Could I have a link to that article, T0rnado?
(04:48:06 PM) T0rnado: mango vs m2k or something
(04:48:17 PM) T0rnado: http://kotaku.com/an-in-depth-chat-with-the-genius-behind-super-smash-bro-530744390
(04:48:20 PM) T0rnado: and then
(04:48:26 PM) T0rnado: mango shouts: "NO!"
(04:48:34 PM) T0rnado: as his control stick malfunctions
(04:48:39 PM) T0rnado: a long silence
(04:48:58 PM) T0rnado: a dude who didn't make it out of pools stands up
(04:49:00 PM) T0rnado: crying
(04:49:05 PM) T0rnado: and hands his only controller to mango
(04:49:18 PM) T0rnado: all others acknowledge this player gave his life
(04:49:20 PM) T0rnado: for mango
(04:49:42 PM) T0rnado: the heartbreaking moment of the tourney causes both mango and hbox to lose focus
(04:50:01 PM) T0rnado: and soon
(04:50:07 PM) T0rnado: more people's controllers will break
(04:50:22 PM) T0rnado: untill there are only less than 50 controllers left
(04:50:52 PM) T0rnado: and chaos ensues
(04:50:54 PM) Pinkie_Pie: we all kill for one
(04:51:16 PM) T0rnado: this all happens during EVO 2014
(04:51:28 PM) T0rnado: people start relentlessly beating others who still own a controller
(04:51:30 PM) ***Pinkie_Pie hugs his white controller
(04:51:41 PM) T0rnado: this all is being captured on cameras throughout the venue
(04:51:46 PM) T0rnado: the person watching?
(04:52:11 PM) T0rnado: masahiro sakurai and iwata miyamoto
(04:52:17 PM) T0rnado: laughing
(04:52:25 PM) T0rnado: as us maniacs cause mass slaughter

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Jeez what on Earth did Nintendo ever do to you guys? The only thing I can thing of is the LP thing, which was well within Nintendo's legal rights to do.

Just because they were allowed to do it does not make it right. Those YouTube videos were in no way hurting Nintendo, yet they felt they had to jump in and take some of the income, even though they weren't the one's who put the time and effort into making the videos in the first place.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
GC controllers went through another production run by Nintendo for a bit because they noticed the popularity after the Wii came out. Not just the new White controller but the Plat ones ones were found through NoA as late as 2012.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
fun fact: they explicitly enforced a fanbase because that's a sure-fire way to get a consistent amount of money. there is quite literally no way around this reality, but people use it to add to this single personality of nintendo as if it were a single person. this is why you all treat it either like a nurturing parent or someone who murdered your whole family

stop treating a corporation as a person, start treating it as what it is; a very large group of people working at once, each within their own flaws and strengths. do this, and you'll understand a lot of things. actually while you're at it, never touching brand obsessiveness ever is a good idea too, console wars are dumb and you're dumb if you take part in it.

last post from me on the matter, sorry about that
I was not treating Nintendo as a person, but as a single entity. I know what company is dip****.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
those two sentences directly contradict each other

once nintendo made a rude face at me and I giggled loud enough to be sent to the principal's office :c

Paradoxium

Smash Master
those two sentences directly contradict each other

once nintendo made a rude face at me and I giggled loud enough to be sent to the principal's office :c
So a person and an entity are the same thing? Nintendo is one thing. ONE. It is A company. Regardlesss of how many people make it up it is still one thing. The same way cells make up a body, people make up a country, parts make up a machine, and how a mass of employees makes up a company. So it is not silly of anyone to treat Nintendo as 1 thing, and most people don't even treat it as 1, rather they refer to it as one. And I thought you were done on the subject?

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I also find it funny that in the eyes of the law, a corporation like Nintendo actually IS a person.

Anyways, even if it's only one department in the company at fault it reflects badly on the company's image as a whole and they should do a better job of communicating with them
to avoid future issues like this.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
The same ganons kill link, the same sandviches are eaten by heavy, the same pootis's
are in a dispencer, the same watermelons fill a lipton ice tea, and so on

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
all the kids at school were mean to him

he is just a troubled soul, that happens to also be a good shot with a spud gun

(to segue this back into actualchat: nintendo w/ spud gun is actually snake. this is because snake is S-tier spacies get wrecked)

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
welcome to economics class

I am your substitute teacher for today, Mr. Canon. Professor Pro is, unfortunately, gone for today, so I shall teach you efficiency.
  1. Chaingrab
  2. DownB
  3. UpAir
  4. DownB, Again
  5. There Is No Step Five

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
META KNIGHT CONFIRMED FOR TOMORROW

Finally I can rock the pink in style like I wanted to in Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom