• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Lolz, I guess this is a social thread being used as a social thread, but now I'm hesitant (and I think many others are, too) to actually post anything here, because I'm afraid it will be buried instantaneously. :smash:

Lack of a weather on/off toggle is the only really game design flaw I have with Soku. The balancing issue is a separate matter entirely, but the movement game is adorable. I just love the principle of the limit gauge too, even though it was handled less well than it could have been. Still, most combos clocking at around 1/6th of a health bar and being made of only a few solid hits feels really good compared to most games where you can set the controller down and bake cookies while you get comboed.
Nah, Soku was also kinda trashy because of those dumb, RANDOM cards. Random weather, random cards, what the heck did that game have against competitive play that could actually be predicted and planned far in advance?

Might as well have called it Kingdom Touhou: Chain of Soku or something... :troll:

IaMP > Soku. IaMP best Touhou fighter.
EFZ > IaMP > Soku
EFZ is Melee. IaMP is Smash 64. Soku is Brawl.
EFZ is SF III. IaMP is SF IV. Soku is Super Puzzle/Gem Fighter.

The games just get worse as time goes on, and it's funny how the Touhou Project's best fighting game was made before they were even the Touhou Project. :p

a lot of the IaMP players hate Soku though
And with good reason too. :smirk:

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
IaMP game feel is also pretty terrible.

A more appropriate comparison is that IaMP is to Soku as Smash 64 is to Melee. Slower, more slugish movement and near touch of death combos compared to a more dynamic movement game and a requirement of 4-6 strong reads interspersed with moments of zone control.

Eternal Fighter Zero has nothing to do with the Touhou fighting games.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
EFZ was made by Twilight Frontier, the same group that was responsible for creating IaMP, Scarlet Weather Rhapsody, Soku, and Hopeless Masquerade. In other words, the creators of EFZ made all the Touhou fighters. You can see the similarities in several gameplay elements, although there are also stark differences.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Perhaps. I honestly care very little about all the non-fighter games, so I have no idea how far the Touhou Project actually dates back to. I just know the Touhou fighters are obviously a part of the "Touhou Project" and EFZ isn't, despite being made by the same people. I also know EFZ was Twilight Frontier's first work ever, and that the "Touhou Project" is simply a collaboration of Twilight Frontier and Team Shanghai Alice, with Twilight Frontier clearly being in charge of most of the fighting games' development (Shanghai Alice handles the shoot 'em ups and a lot of the games' music), so I simply put 2 and 2 together, although I guess this is one case where that simply doesn't work.

The Star King

Smash Hero
EFZ is Melee. IaMP is Smash 64. Soku is Brawl.
I've never heard of EFZ until now but I can definitely see the similarities between 64 and IaMP (and I play 64, so... I miss my Smash64 Backroom purple name btw)

Soku is Brawl, and weather is tripping :smirk:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
first touhou game came out in 96
Oh, ok. Well, as I said, I have no idea when the Touhou shooters were made, nor do I care. All the fighters were made after EFZ, however.

i don't see what the problem with random card draws in soku is, at least its not random tripping.

weather is ******** as **** though, especially typhoon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySrBCURFKVQ
The cards are basically supers, but they're pretty obnoxious as far as FG supers go. Being random just makes them more ridiculous, kinda like rubbing salt in the wound, but yeah, it's not as bad as the weather. If the weather is tripping, then the random cards are either the BS of certain extreme (yet legal) stages in Brawl or the random input delay. :p

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
i dont see how theyre supers, the gray character cards are just interchangable moves, while the red cards are basically power ups, and the actual supers are the goldish cards, which you shouldnt have so many to begin with since they can eat up a **** load of cards

bubbaking

Smash Hero
i dont see how theyre supers, the gray character cards are just interchangable moves, while the red cards are basically power ups, and the actual supers are the goldish cards, which you shouldnt have so many to begin with since they can eat up a **** load of cards
All of those fit under the general scope of 'supers' except for the gray cards. I guess they're just specials/command normals. I just don't like how I can't look forward to which cards I'll get, especially when I might want/need a very specific one.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Fair enough, I guess.

IaMP game feel is also pretty terrible.

A more appropriate comparison is that IaMP is to Soku as Smash 64 is to Melee. Slower, more slugish movement and near touch of death combos compared to a more dynamic movement game and a requirement of 4-6 strong reads interspersed with moments of zone control.
I'm just gonna use the vid that Star King provided:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn2T-gP4I_Y
How can you say THAT is more sluggish than Soku? :c

Edit: And I don't see the "touch of death combos" either. :smash:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I felt it was time to play some Melee since I hadn't played it in a while (especially for upcoming SCSYN). One new thing besides other various nuances between P:M and Melee (Like Falco's retreating laser game and stuff being harder to control and just plain uncooperative) was throws requiring a more pronounced input or something. You'd grab, and want to throw in a direction, but using the exact input I use for P:M wasn't doing anything: and instead it seems it wants a faster or more smashed of a direction pressed than the possibly weak nudge on the control stick I give for throws in P:M.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I play a bit of PTA and MnM, Joe.

Also, Melty feels extremely ****ty to play until you understand certain system mechanics (like that not-so-groundbounce state, **** that thing), but it's extremely fun to play. You know... when you actually get to play and you're not eating mixups into 4k+ combos or resets into 4k+ combos.

But when you do it, oh maaaan. Feels good.

libertyernie

Smash Ace

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I've only really spent time with the Star Wars Roleplaying Game here and there, myself. Pretty fun. I should branch out sometime, though.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
D20 games are okay. I vastly prefer anything 3.5 related and Pathfinder. I'm not a big fan of some of the systems in 4.0. Tbh, I even like the old and unnecessarily convoluted 2nd Edition a helluva lot more than 4.0, but that's just me.

I mostly play the D10 games (Storyteller system), ala White Wolf and its roleplaying line. The new Storyteller system is alright, but I do not like how they gutted the various settings and changed them for the worse. While I welcomed those franchises that needed it (Changeling needed an overhaul, badly), and welcomed the new additions (Promethean is, conceptually, really ****ing cool), I did not like the changes that White Wolf inflicted on Vampire, Werewolf, and Mage, respectively. Especially Werewolf.

I'm so glad that White Wolf has listened to their fans and have gone back to revisiting the old stuff. I already bought the 20th Anniversary Edition of Vampire: The Masquerade; I'm super super stoked to buy the one for Werewolf: The Apocalypse, which is one of my favorite tabletop games of all time (second only to the hilariously complex Exalted).

Smooth Criminal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom