• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Crouching A and Standing A are the typical "jab" attacks in almost all fighting games. One has weak anti air properies, while the other typically hits low, both very very weakly. In, for a quick example, BlazBlue, Makoto can do a weak sequence of 5A, 2A, 5A, 2A and while it looks cool, sort of like a boxer weaving and mixing up jabs, is super suboptimal regarding damage and proration.

In contrast Crouching Bs are very much akin to "tilts"

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Yeah I had forgotten about that I was thinking too much smash and too little TFG. I really just wanted to separate movement from attack direction, and was actually considering crouching to be a form of movement (well, hurtbox movement, change of position, I think that makes sense) rather than a form of attack direction, while downward attack direction is what would actually produce different moves.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Basically imagine every character has Ness's D-tilt and Pikachu's Dial-A, but then they also have their other actual tilt as well.

Again though, there's always the possibility of having some mechanics held onto for other projects.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I see what you're saying, just not sure if I like giving a character a move that's kinda just all out there on it's own, not really being in the same group as any other move.
Like neutral moves are in the neutral category and their respective attack categories, A or B
directional tilts are in that category + A/B
and Directional smashes are in that category + A/B
Which was why I referred to it as a 2x3 system (for normals) where there are three directional inputs options and two button input options
Guess you could call it a 3x3 if you included specials

If we decided to give crouching unique options, i'd want to treat it like the other movement states (standing or jumping) because I like consistency without unnecessary exceptions and want to give it the full 3x3 or 2x3 treatment, rather than just the 2 (2?) extra options you were suggesting.

And yeah you're right, but getting me to even work on one project that I hardly know how to do would be hard enough, planning to split this into multiple games isn't even in my "breaking out of my comfort zone" zone.

BrandX

Smash Ace
Maybe have project codenames for them like that, but with an actual creative and story group to make it more than a "cheap fangame trying too hard to imitate the original but ultimately falling flat."

Like let's just think what we need just to get started:

Creative Directors
Story Writers
Concept art for characters and stages
Coders
Spriters
A sound team in some fashion
???

And in our credits we can say stuff like

"Game Engine Coding (GIVE THIS GUY PROPS)
JOE!"

Oh and we can get noirscythe to help tell us how bad our OST is

Oh **** 4K milestone
I think that would be a smart idea for the most part. A creative name would help XD

Wonder where we could get a team like that.
:phone:

JOE!

Smash Hero
Slightly confused on this one aspect:

Will this play like smash primarily but with some TFG inputs, or play like a TFG with smash-like inputs?

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I think that would be a smart idea for the most part. A creative name would help XD

Wonder where we could get a team like that.
A lot of time and a lot of aggressive reassurance for any and all people interested in being a part of this. "WE'RE DOING THIS GUYS."

Of course I am also for the TFG with Smash influence first. I love the Touhou fighters and Arcana Heart simply because I can draw some analogs between them and Smash.

CinnaminSon

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I would say a mostly serious cast with a few characters as comic relief and some bits of CURAZY.

No flat out Joke Characters though. They can be funny and hammy in the story, but meant as genuine character designs.

BrandX

Smash Ace
I would say a mostly serious cast with a few characters as comic relief and some bits of CURAZY.

No flat out Joke Characters though. They can be funny and hammy in the story, but meant as genuine character designs.
I can agree with this. I usually dont like joke characters, kinda ruins the atmosphere of the cast.

Needs lots of females imo XD

JOE!

Smash Hero
>Needs females

No, it just needs characters. Gender shouldn't matter as long as the character itself is interesting.

Also, I'd prefer to retain the movement capabilities we see in Smash, -that- is what sets it apart imo.

BrandX

Smash Ace
>Needs females

No, it just needs characters. Gender shouldn't matter as long as the character itself is interesting.

Also, I'd prefer to retain the movement capabilities we see in Smash, -that- is what sets it apart imo.
Kinda was just kidding XD

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
@joe
movement is obviously important, but analog input should be carried over as well
Analog input is probably a bigger factor in smash than movement, as most of the time it's what makes the movement so controlled and varied.

JOE!

Smash Hero
While true, I also mean how you can control yourself in the air, face away, turn freely, etc.

Edit: is the goal of combat ringouts, HP or a combination with each taking away stocks?

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
REFLEX I SEE YOU EYEBALLING THIS ****

Don't worry you can playtest Valio and then make leffen john about it.

JOE!: The Smash-influenced TFG would likely just have a life -

To be continued until I'm done at school

JOE!

Smash Hero
Lol, I'm doing this mid-class, here from 8:20am-10:40pm anyways so might as well.

My vote also goes to a hybrid if possible, taking the most comfortable/best aspects of each "type" into one setting.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Kink, link me to videos of this touhou game you keep talking about
I searched on youtube and I'm not even sure what I found
At one point I found this crazy *** boss fight in some 2d shooting game that shoots like a metric **** ton of purple bullets at you.
For conversion for you imperial people that's like 1.1 imperial **** tons

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Kink, link me to videos of this touhou game you keep talking about
I searched on youtube and I'm not even sure what I found
At one point I found this crazy *** boss fight in some 2d shooting game that shoots like a metric **** ton of purple bullets at you.
For conversion for you imperial people that's like 1.1 imperial **** tons
Sillies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPBZ8BR-kG4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yimGe8W2Swo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFBYw9sy1Ro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DJs5wsW3KE

Seriouslies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxpOwTUjTyA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-81DCK3ots (Ft. the character in my avatar)

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
soku gets so boring to play after a while

kink, who do you main? I main suwako, secondary is Sakuya/Meiling

MaxThunder

PM Support
Maybe have project codenames for them like that, but with an actual creative and story group to make it more than a "cheap fangame trying too hard to imitate the original but ultimately falling flat."

Like let's just think what we need just to get started:

Creative Directors
Story Writers
Concept art for characters and stages
Coders
Spriters
A sound team in some fashion
???

And in our credits we can say stuff like

"Game Engine Coding (GIVE THIS GUY PROPS)
JOE!"

Oh and we can get noirscythe to help tell us how bad our OST is

Oh **** 4K milestone
I'd hop on that audio team...
plus other things i can help with...
an idea i've been toying with for a while is having a game mixed between smash and TFG with a lifebar and % meter... whith either the life bar having 4 parts and when you get knocked off stage, the part you're on fuly drains... or you just loose a stock after getting the hp bar drained... knocked out fully drains it...

anyone saving this conversation?..

oh and the controller would probably be a large obstacle... sounds like we'd need to compromise a bit, or make our own custom controllers... and then we'd need to get people to buy them<.<...

i'd want a marth-ish sword char... only left-handed... just putting it out there...

oh and i need that game you linked now, kink... gief full name and platform, pls...

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Ugh, that first serious was way too american. I got bored of it way too fast.

Second Srs battle was OK tho. Japanese pros play way differently.

If you want other good Soku japanese gameplay, I'd recommend searching Touhou UNL Kouryuusen Taikai. It's got pretty good tourney play.

Edit: oh, and to answer Max; Touhou 12.3; Unthinkable Natural Law. From the Touhou series. (for PC)

Edit2: You wanna get the expansion pack too AFAIK, it includes the chars from the previous versions of the game.

Yung Mei

If you want other good Soku japanese gameplay, I'd recommend searching Touhou UNL Kouryuusen Taikai. It's got pretty good tourney play.

Edit: oh, and to answer Max; Touhou 12.3; Unthinkable Natural Law. From the Touhou series. (for PC)

Edit2: You wanna get the expansion pack too AFAIK, it includes the chars from the previous versions of the game.
Soku is the expansion pack, the original game is SWR

JOE!

Smash Hero
Wish user blogs was up, we could make a whole thread just for this idea...

(and I could post my damn Marvel game I've been wanting to share...)

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
soku gets so boring to play after a while

kink, who do you main? I main suwako, secondary is Sakuya/Meiling
I use Alice, Iku, and uh, Sanae I guess most out of everyone else.

I chose the first one just because it showed off the 8-way flight and was the first one I could find that did so. I really wanted to find a match where it's Iku vs Utsuho and the Iku player sacrifices a high cost spell to get rid of the ensuing trollphoon weather.

Yung Mei

weather is a ****ing stupid as ****, but hilariously awesome at the same time, mechanic

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Lack of a weather on/off toggle is the only really game design flaw I have with Soku. The balancing issue is a separate matter entirely, but the movement game is adorable. I just love the principle of the limit gauge too, even though it was handled less well than it could have been. Still, most combos clocking at around 1/6th of a health bar and being made of only a few solid hits feels really good compared to most games where you can set the controller down and bake cookies while you get comboed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom