• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badge

Smash Apprentice
You can even get to minimum bomb damage (~2.5% unstalled) using only ASDI and Up-B spacing, although if it gives you a bit less distance because the bomb doesn't hit you up. Here, I made a video of it. I didn't try this non-TAS, so I can't say how easy it is to do consistently, but it shouldn't be too hard.

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
You mean to tell me a character I played in melee isn't 100% exactly the same in project m!?
He wears a green tunic and throws a boomerang and his name is Link, he should feel exactly the same otherwise this game sucks.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Toon Link's recovery is alright, but it's really nothing special. People cite AGT stuff like he shouldn't get murdered for trying any of that, or that video like every stage has an enormous walljump-able area like FoD. Just...hit him.
I actually agree with this. AGT makes Toon Link's recovery 10 times better- adding 5 jumps to any character will do that (which is essentially what AGT does). But in practice, despite being able to gain momentum at will and being able to travel great distances as a result, any slight touch to TL offstage murders him. His AGT recovery is pretty delicate, but at least you're able to travel some pretty hefty distances.

TL's recovery is much better than what the average person may think, but in the end, it's not puff tier or anything close to that haha

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
You can even get to minimum bomb damage (~2.5% unstalled) using only ASDI and Up-B spacing, although if it gives you a bit less distance because the bomb doesn't hit you up. Here, I made a video of it. I didn't try this non-TAS, so I can't say how easy it is to do consistently, but it shouldn't be too hard.
Oh look at this. A way to take less than 3% with bomb jumps.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Just because a player is a known Melee veteran, that does not make his posts immune to criticism, nor does it give him a free pass to voice his opinions in a non-constructive complaining way. Laijin is fine to post his feelings about the differences between TL and YL, but all that big font and demands of change was uncalled for.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Kink has a valid point. Tink has to damage himself to get a recovery comparable to what everyone else gets for "free".

:phone:

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I figure if I bring it up enough some people will either think about it seriously for a second or I just get more flack and hate which is nothing new for me. It's a win-tie situation.

Taking damage to recover is better than not recovering at all.

Jigglypuff's recovery could stand to be tweaked to give her more risk to go off stage like Pit's was.

Sped up walking animations for run animations.

Leave the obnoxious parts of moves like Ike's side B covering the entire stage after a 30 frame charge in tact but nerf the less obnoxious utility portion.

My concerns with the game's design are actually quite few and far between, but they set me off a lot. With all love though, keep up the 99.99% good work PMBR.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Just because a player is a known Melee veteran, that does not make his posts immune to criticism, nor does it give him a free pass to voice his opinions in a non-constructive complaining way. Laijin is fine to post his feelings about the differences between TL and YL, but all that big font and demands of change was uncalled for.
Sorry if my post looked like I was giving immunity to his posts or a free pass to complain. I honestly didn't really read the previous pages- I just saw a bunch of people posting stuff @ laijin.

I just want him to actually explore Toon Link and how he works in PM because of all of his previous contributions to Melee YL. I felt that from the few posts I read, people were just trolling him or writing him off saying things like "Toon Link isn't Young Link? What a surprise!!" and that isn't an effective way of encouraging someone to explore the character and his changes with an open mind.

There's been a handful of people who have complained about Toon Links "short" recovery distance because of initial impressions, and I have responded to every single one of them in pretty much the same way: Learn about AGT and what it can do. Spend some time with the technique and your opinion may change. Laijin is no different, but I'm especially interested to see what kind of TL play would come out from him because of his experience with YL. Sorry if that came off the wrong way.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
Toon link is superb compared to young link, arrows/bombs/bomerang almost everything really. Tlink's b-air is as good as Ylinks, the whole having to take damage to recover is much better than just dieing because your Up-b is just a cheap knock-off of another character, I love Tlink i think he's solid as hell against everyone, plus he has alot more set-ups to kill than Ylink could ever have, and because of the nice buffs he doesn't have to be a campy character, he can actually be aggro and defensive.

In Melee, i always wanted to main Link, but he was just to slow for my taste, but then i tried Ylink and i sticked to him, until i realized how his kill potentional is worse than Melee mario. So i just used them for ****s and giggles but i never got the inspiration to use them, and then PM came and gave Tlink, which i thank them all. Enough rant, Tlink is a much better character overall than Ylink ever will be, and the mod isn't even done yet.

BTW, to the PM team, have you guys considered giving Tlink a slingshot in-exchange for the bow and arrow? I think it would be great and it resembles Ylink.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Have you ever played Wario Land? His walking animation from the game is used as the basis of his new run.
By that logic, Samus' run is a walk because it's based off her primary, slowest form of movement (barring Morphball) in Super Metroid.

iLink

Smash Champion
I just want to say that run stop animation where he holds onto his hat is really cool

k

MaxThunder

PM Support
^^is that the weird flailing arms behind him thing?.. would look really obnoxious if he were running around like that all the time...

Kati

Smash Lord
Slashy, individual character victory songs are possible. It's not a question of finishing it, but rather inserting it into the current codeset and deciding on what songs people won't miss.

Slashy

Smash Lord
Slashy, individual character victory songs are possible. It's not a question of finishing it, but rather inserting it into the current codeset and deciding on what songs people won't miss.
You can add songs into the game you just need to link it to those custom IDs

thespymachine

Smash Ace
I wish, that at the end of the day, when Project M is finished, that the devs for both SD Remix and Project M joined together to make an original, Melee-inspired fighting game.

Heck, while I'm at it, they could ask for the rights to a Disney Versus Marvel game.
If not, seeing a grassroots games, forged in the fires of the Melee community, producing a completely original fighting game sounds awesome. Imagine...

Slashy

Smash Lord
I wish, that at the end of the day, when Project M is finished, that the devs for both SD Remix and Project M joined together to make an original, Melee-inspired fighting game.

Heck, while I'm at it, they could ask for the rights to a Disney Versus Marvel game.
If not, seeing a grassroots games, forged in the fires of the Melee community, producing a completely original fighting game sounds awesome. Imagine...
I'm throwing money at the screen but nothing is happening

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I've always wanted to see a fighting game with merged mechanics from melee and TFGs
But like, I can't think of a suitable combination, maybe I'm biased but melee mechaniics seem superior in every way unless you want to go full-on TFG.
Analog inputs>digital inputs for maximum character control
Analog shielding with essentially analog mix-ups>high/mid/low blocking with high/low mix-ups
High degree of analog freedom>digital movement with only one dash speed/one walk speed
Analog aerial movement>left/right/up aerial movement
Freedom to face away from opponent>forced to face opponent
Analog DI> combo breakers

Like the only things I would change, MAYBE is throw a maximum percent in there where the character is knocked out instead of ringed-out smash style. Like, scaled everyone's damage output down some, make 100% the max damage, but with the same knockback growth scale, so comboing people to death becomes more dynamic, with the option of chasing them around the stage for a knock-out or putting them in a position for a ring-out. Of course, some serious balancing would need to be done so the system doesn't favor one or the other too strongly. I also wouldn't mind seeing light touching up on the combo mechanics, perhaps something similar to lucario, and more movesset variety for each character. Something along the lines of: Every character gets a punch input, a kick input, a smash input, and a special input. Using any one alone with a directional or smash input produces a neutral, a la current smash, but with neutral kicks/punches/specials instead of only attack/special. Same with the directional input giving kicks/punches/specials in the given direction. Adding the smash input gives new attacks or powered up attacks/specials. Of course there would be some simple OHC mechanics similar to Lucario but more dynamic. Blocklag wouldn't prevent shield angling so the On-block comboing system could work properly. I also envision a two stick control system where neither stick actually attacks, but rather, one controls movement, and the other controls attack direction, requiring you to press a button to initiate an attack in that direction rather than forcing a certain kind of attack (as smash forces you to choose specials/tilts/smashes currently in brawl/project:M). Of course, since one cannot both use face buttons and two sticks with maximum efficiency, all button inputs would be either shoulder/bumpers or stick-clicks.
I wouldn't mind leaving specials in, although I'd want to take away focus from them by making them something you can't achieve in one round/stock
Speaking of rounds/stocks that's also something I don't know how to handle. Personally I would prefer stocks as it makes a players efforts the the opponent during the last round go to waste. But where exactly and in what manner you respawn a knocked out character seems like an awkward thing to handle. Could probably be done and the players would just become use to it though.

Yeah I have ****tons of ideas for such a game. Obviously it wouldn't work on a pad lol

thespymachine

Smash Ace
I've always wanted to see a fighting game with merged mechanics from melee and TFGs
But like, I can't think of a suitable combination, maybe I'm biased but melee mechaniics seem superior in every way unless you want to go full-on TFG.
Analog inputs>digital inputs for maximum character control
Analog shielding with essentially analog mix-ups>high/mid/low blocking with high/low mix-ups
High degree of analog freedom>digital movement with only one dash speed/one walk speed
Analog aerial movement>left/right/up aerial movement
Freedom to face away from opponent>forced to face opponent

Like the only things I would change, MAYBE is throw a maximum percent in there where the character is knocked out instead of ringed-out smash style. Like, scaled everyone's damage output down some, make 100% the max damage, but with the same knockback growth scale, so comboing people to death becomes more dynamic, with the option of chasing them around the stage for a knock-out or putting them in a position for a ring-out. Of course, some serious balancing would need to be done so the system doesn't favor one or the other too strongly. I also wouldn't mind seeing light touching up on the combo mechanics, perhaps something similar to lucario, and more movesset variety for each character. Something along the lines of: Every character gets a punch input, a kick input, a smash input, and a special input. Using any one alone with a directional or smash input produces a neutral, a la current smash, but with neutral kicks/punches/specials instead of only attack/special. Same with the directional input giving kicks/punches/specials in the given direction. Adding the smash input gives new attacks or powered up attacks/specials. Of course there would be some simple OHC mechanics similar to Lucario but more dynamic. Blocklag wouldn't prevent shield angling so the On-block comboing system could work properly. I also envision a two stick control system where neither stick actually attacks, but rather, one controls movement, and the other controls attack direction, requiring you to press a button to initiate an attack in that direction rather than forcing a certain kind of attack (as smash forces you to choose specials/tilts/smashes currently in brawl/project:M). Of course, since one cannot both use face buttons and two sticks with maximum efficiency, all button inputs would be either shoulder/bumpers or stick-clicks.

Yeah I have ****tons of ideas for such a game. Obviously it wouldn't work on a pad lol
What about block and grab in air?

:phone:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
oh right i forgot to discuss that.
i really dont know how id handle that one either. Like i think i'd make it character specific air grabs, blocks since you can grab out of hitstun and thats something i'd want to keep, so characters with air grabs would have a serious advantage so i'd probs only give it to grapplers. But then if only grapplers have air grabs, air blocking becomes too powerful so I'd only give that to certain defensive/evasive characters, and it would probably be made weaker than ordinary ground shields so they aren't abused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom