• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxThunder

PM Support
Nice...Well, with so many people in here we should play some kind of a game. For lulz...oh I got it. A guessing game?

"I was once the leader of a gang. Now I am a member of a team. I can't fly, I can fly, Who am I?"

ready? GO!
The 14th doctor... Not in the game, you say?.. of course he is... We just don't know who...

:phone:

`dazrin

Smash Champion
"Spam spam, spammity spam, projectile spam, everyone thinks my recovery is trash and unusable. Who am I?"

:alakadoof:

No but seriously- I am hype for 2.5!

If you had to pick one thing, what is it that you are looking forward to most in this upcoming release?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Only thing I find kind of counter intuitive is how Ike is supposed to space now, considering hitting near the base of the sword seems to be your goal, but is probably the unsafest thing on shield. It's probably not as bad as it sounds on paper since he really doesn't look very different.
Oh man, I think I'm late, but since when has spacing your fist (barring jab) to a shield instead of your long-*** sword not been the unsafest thing ever? Roy really wasn't any different, he was just a crappy character. You hit with the hilt when safety doesn't matter because you're going for the kill (or are otherwise ensured a hit). Tbh, I personally think that multiple chars should have that kind of spacing system.

It's not strictly worse because you seem to be completely ignoring that he also has a stronger hit available to him to use when he has the option to hit with it.

Here, the blue hitboxes do -1 damage, and the purple hitbox on the hilt does +1 damage (the difference in damage affects KBG). To hit the sweetspot you need to hit with the purple but not the smaller arm or shoulder hitboxes.

[COLLAPSE="Ike"]
[/COLLAPSE]

Turn grabs don't have animation based movement on them, so boost turn grabs have carried dash attack momentum into them since brawl.
How much damage does that red hitbox do?

Edit: Oh, I get it. That red hitbox is the comparison point for the blue and purple hitboxes.

Ecks

Smash Lord
"Spam spam, spammity spam, projectile spam, everyone thinks my recovery is trash and unusable. Who am I?"

:alakadoof:

No but seriously- I am hype for 2.5!

If you had to pick one thing, what is it that you are looking forward to most in this upcoming release?
I'm looking forward to the overall feel of the game with the new fixes. Also Zamus!

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I also see this 'tipper system' as Ike's analogue to the weakening of lingering hitboxes. You get punished by being imprecise. If you want combos, you go for the weak, later portion of a sex kick/the tip of Ike's sword. If you want kills, you go for the strong, earlier portion of a sex kick/the hilt of Ike's sword.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I'm looking forward to more Melee veterans remarking at how much closer Project M feels compared to Melee, which will (hopefully) get more Melee players interested in it.

iLink

Smash Champion
There are enough "fist" attacks that are moderately safe enough to make that argument kind of silly.

Even then you are missing the point. Even these "fist" attacks you are trying to hit at max range to keep them safe and because that is usually where the most benificial hitbox is.

Like I said, since I dont know the exact numbers, it probably sounds worse on paper then it really is.

@Stevo: pokemon trainer? Although Ivy isnt dog.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
There are enough "fist" attacks that are moderately safe enough to make that argument kind of silly.

Even then you are missing the point. Even these "fist" attacks you are trying to hit at max range to keep them safe and because that is usually where the most benificial hitbox is.

Like I said, since I dont know the exact numbers, it probably sounds worse on paper then it really is.
I think you're the one who's missing the point. I was referring to swordsmen who never attack with their fists (barring Ike's jab). Those who have nothing else must work with their disjointed hitboxes or pay even better attention to spacing and lag. If Link doesn't space his crap, he can be punished or at least isn't as safe as he was when he didn't space. Same goes for Marth, Roy, YL, and TL. I could actually see Link having Ike's tipper system because his sword is about as long as Marth's (and pretty blunt too) and it would just make sense to me, but that's another topic.

There are other characters, I believe, who have this sense of safety vs power. If DK hits your shield with a spaced Giant Punch, he's relatively safe. However, I think if he hits with his shoulder, he gets the strongest KB out of it. Of course, this shoulder hit isn't nearly as safe on shield as his fist is.

Edit: Btw, I was talking about Ike spacing his "fist" (his hilt) on someone's shield as opposed to the rest of his sword, not other chars, hence:
since when has spacing your fist (barring jab) to a shield instead of your long-*** sword not been the unsafest thing ever?

Izzmo

Smash Cadet
yaynorfair

also yayupdate

also yayreleasetomorrow

i'm pumped, gotta finish my work on brstms and textures.

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
It's funny how the PMBR is so touchy about the term "nerf". When Yun was nerfed in SSFIVAE2012, nobody cried "Yun was not nerfed, he was tweaked. Don't call it nerf please, it offends me. You're so negative." The nerf universally was applauded too. Now I come to the smashboards here and the PM developers are so sandy in the v that users are now calling nerfs "nerftweaks".

Nobody thinks that nerfs are inherently a bad thing. The only point that is being missed here is that the developers said that Ike would not be nerfed, but it is clear to some myself included (perhaps mistakenly) that he was. Everyone claiming that all the changes are good for the game is committing the old red herring fallacy.

The baseball bat analogy provided explains perfectly what a NERF is. In baseball, it is ideal for the a player that intends to win that all of his hits are a homerun (even if it was not ideal for the game overall). If the batter went from from a bat that can only hit homeruns to a bat that can only hit homeruns under specific conditions, the batter for all intents and purposes got nerfed even if he is still the best batter in the world.

I know that there's actual debate as to whether Ike was overall nerfed or not. It would be much harder to call a bat that went from being almost a homerun on every hit, to being 1/3 worse, 1/3 the same, and 1/3 a homerun as is the case with Ike. Some thing is for certain and that is that specific aspects of him were nerfed.

I can't say I agree or am yet convinced with every nerf and change, but I certainly consider Ike's nerf and changes overall an improvement for the game. Ike as he was in v2.1 was too simplistic, easy, and effective, so I almost entirely dropped practicing with him in favor of Link who has an encyclopedia of strategies and useful ATs at his disposal. I look forward to picking up Ike again.

I don't know why some people are acting all sandy about the term "nerf". Maybe it's to disregard all the individual nerfs that people disagree with or to save face from the obtrusive problem that are Fox and Falco's position in the tiers that remains. It's best to leave all the emotional biases against certain words because people are now bordering on delusional due to it.

Gale boomerang

Internalyzed

Smash Apprentice
Excited for the new Norfair, as well as the new FD background. Never really understood why it was a bunch of swiggly lines in previous demos.

Stevo

Smash Champion
Yesssss lol

I still have the inner desire to quote Stupid Words and the like, but no one gets the references nowadays, so I have to just keep it on the inside :c
those video's made me the smasher I am today. I remember the first time I got to meet them. It was like meeting celebrities, only better.

I actually played Project M with Mike at a tournament a little while back. We won teams lol. Good times. Project Men.

I also enjoy the Luke vs Eddy videos. Slightly less old school, though.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yesssss lol

I still have the inner desire to quote Stupid Words and the like, but no one gets the references nowadays, so I have to just keep it on the inside :c
My roommate and I quote stupid words all the time haha. No reason to keep it on the inside :).

iLink

Smash Champion
Still not sure why you guys are so set on just calling this 2.5 instead of 3 after looking over all these changes. Pretty hyped though.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Kind of bummed that Lucario doesn't have his shiny texture. He has the same texture redundancy problem as the PT Pokémon and Marth.

Revven

FrankerZ
Please tell me they fixed wavedash out of shield for the people who use both L and R.
To expand on what Monk said, while it hasn't been fixed, you can technically do it if you just light press one of your shoulder buttons. It's not that bad to adjust to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom