• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
Regardless of my feelings on that, I don't think "optimal DI" is really tech skill-intensive. It's just neat that the opponent has to be constantly making important decisions even when Wario is in the middle of his potential combos.
The only difference between this and before would seem to be the reactionary aspect of it being gone. This means it favours quick thinking over good reaction time, therefore being less tech-skill intensive than it was before.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The problem before was that a dash grab only worked from a very specific distance, so anytime Wario did either option from that distance, the opponent was better off moving backward a little and watching to see what would happen.

Now, if you do the shortest Dash Grab, it's as fast as the average Dash Grab in start-up frames, and the quick transition from the flashing/GO sound effect will force them to make a spontaneous decision before they can adequately process the mix-up going or perhaps even react accordingly.

Your sentence about then expecting certain things applies to doing it from a longer distance, yeah, but the main problem was that Wario basically had no mix-up until a very late frame, so the opponent had no reason to do anything but just shield/move away/whatever until Frame 24 or whatever it used to be. If it was Forward-B, they'd shield it and you'd get punished. If it was Dash Grab, they wouldn't clank and they could use an out-of-shield option on reaction. And the Forward-B slide cancel didn't do anything useful in 2.1, and that's a decently safe mix-up option to do from time to time, as well, as it can work well to avoid the shield-grab.

cannedbread

Smash Lord
basically
works better in 2.5
you can press z to start the grab from the dash grab animation thing
so you don't end up whiffing and grabbing behind them or whatever

@hdt

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
When you press and release A/Z to start the grab, you do the shortest Dash Grab. You can hold A/Z to continue the running part until the button is released, which is when you would stop running and grab. Therefore, you have full, tight control over when your Dash Grab comes out, with the Dash Grab animation closely matching the Forward-B in the meantime.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Sweet. Just sweet. I was getting sick of Forward B getting canceled by projectiles and the dash grab had quite low uses due it's predictable distance. Gotta also love improved D-Tilt and the new F-Grab.

Is Up Air changed though or is it still the same?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I would hope Uair gets a small buff on making the sweetspot easier to land. Even if it meant lowering the knockback.

Sir Combee

Smash Apprentice
This is a minor nitpick, but is it possible to add more song slots for the Skyloft stage? I understand that its over Hanenbow, but seeing all the magic the PMBR wizards have done I wonder if it is possible to do. Compared to the other Zelda stages, this one is probably played the most of the 4 Zelda stages due to its more competitive nature.

Maybe just put it over Flat Zone 2, and do the unflat code for that stage. That would give Skyloft 3 song slots. Then put Flatzone 2 over Hanenbow, and then Flat Zone 2 would have only one song. Shrugs, just a suggestion. Considering how soon the release of the next demo is, I don't really expect anything to happen about this :p

Anyways, looking forward to 2.5. So excited to finally be able to use Ivysaur

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
U-Air is shifted slightly; long story short, it's somewhat easier to land the sweetspot. No nerfs to it.

A neat result of this is that you can fastfall a U-Air on a grounded opponent; if your spacing is excellent (it's NOT easy to do), you can avoid the sourspot hit and use a falling U-Air to good effect on tech chases.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Woow. Super. Who knows if I try catch my bro using a spacie with this

One more question, I saw that Wario got a new victory pose. Which it has been replaced with? (Or was it at 2.1?)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Sweet. Every character in PM feels so much more akin to their original appearances. I think it makes sense anyway. Whats with the wierd potty humor in Sakurai's team...

WL4 flexing pose FTW.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Really looking forward to 2.5 Wario. Better dashgrab and down-b recovery in particular were things I was craving for. Better options out of grabs is gonna be awesome.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Sweet. Just sweet. I was getting sick of Forward B getting canceled by projectiles and the dash grab had quite low uses due it's predictable distance. Gotta also love improved D-Tilt and the new F-Grab.

Is Up Air changed though or is it still the same?
The sweetspot is a bit easier to land, yes, and in addition his arms and hitboxes have been rotated fully (30 deg) into the Z-axis, organically giving it a bit more horizontal range on the initial flub hit.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I'm starting to think it may be possible for a character to have multiple intro animations. Because I've noticed one who gets picked once per stream the last few days who seems to have a new one every single time. At least 3 new intros and counting, unless it is one constantly being tweaked everyday.

iLink

Smash Champion
So since we aren't getting a write-up for Lucario, this is the stuff I'm aware of that has changed from 2.1

- More startup on sideb grab
- Dash attack covers less distance and travels slower
- Downb has more startup before the invincibility/movement but less cooldown after
- Downb can be b reversed
- Grounded Aurasphere cancels into idle animation instead of shield
- Dtilt has a faster startup
- Dsmash has a faster startup
- Hitbox refinements? (not sure which ones exactly, this is just what I heard)
- Afterglow effect on charges is less distracting

Obviously I'm not in the BR so some of this might be false. Anyone mind correcting anything or adding to it?

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
So since we aren't getting a write-up for Lucario, this is the stuff I'm aware of that has changed from 2.1

- More startup on sideb grab
- Dash attack covers less distance and travels slower
- Downb has more startup before the invincibility/movement but less cooldown after
- Downb can be b reversed
- Grounded Aurasphere cancels into idle animation instead of shield
- Dtilt has a faster startup
- Dsmash has a faster startup
- Hitbox refinements? (not sure which ones exactly, this is just what I heard)
- Afterglow effect on charges is less distracting

Obviously I'm not in the BR so some of this might be false. Anyone mind correcting anything or adding to it?
Was it confirmed there will be no more character spotlights?

iLink

Smash Champion
It's not confirmed, but someone mentioned they probably won't have them done before the release and might be out about week or 2 later.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I like the detail of the character spotlights but what we really need is a complete changelist with absolutely every single gameplay change logged and explained. That could take some time.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
...So was Ike basically turned into Slow Marth, or what?

Cause I can't help but think that after reading the write-up, and I'm really not liking the sound of that since the simplicity of Ike is what made him enjoyable to me. It also gave me some variety when I wanted a sword user different from Marth or Link but still something familiar and comfortable.

Right now, this just sounds like the very opposite of how Ike normally is or should be, and very unfun.

*shrugs* Then again, what do I know? I liked 2.1 Ike just the way he was for the most part and that's apparently an inexcusable sin. lol Plus I didn't even know he had a tipper system until P:M and don't see why he needs one or would benefit from it since he's not as quick, fluid and graceful as Marth who can easily make combos from it.

I dunno, maybe I'm just a little paranoid.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
We'll no one assured my questions but we can be happy that:
http://smashmods.com/forum/thread-6016-post-123075.html#pid123075

Up-air is the same (besides being weaker on certain hitboxes, but they weren't moved around right?)

Up-tilt/Down-smash is the same speed and same hitbox size and placement (same hitboxes but just weaker on some of them?)

QD is same speed and distance and EVERYTHING?, except just has the 3 frame gap thing before you can JUMP?

How was Eli's CannedbreaD?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I think QuickDraw distance on no charge was reduced, to make it less of a universal tech chase option. Don't quote me on that, but it's been talked about quite a bit.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Definitely liking that Wario got some buffs/tweaks. I really liked playing as him, but I'd always lose with him. I just figured it was cause I sucked at using him, but now knowing he was just considered a butt character who was in need of improvements, I'm eager to try him out in 2.5.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Maybe you should try it first...
Hey, I didn't say I wasn't going to. Like I said, I'm probably just a little paranoid. I'll thoroughly test it out the best I can when it's out. (Which honestly just means curbstomping CPUs and casual friends since I have no other alternative at the moment. >>' Aside from the one online friend who plays with me and kicks my *** left and right. )

I just wanted to voice my current thoughts and worries on it. I'm sure those thoughts are subject to change with the release of 2.5 on Friday and after trying Ike out for awhile.

I'm more than willing to try it out. I don't lack any faith in you guys when it comes to Ike. :3

...Sonic on the other hand...Well, I won't get into that, yet. >>'

cannedbread

Smash Lord
eli's was fun
wish i could've stayed longer though, weather got too bad to not take an early ride
2.5 so hype
squirtle is really fun and i plan on maining him

ALSO metroid is really good don't believe his reverse trash-talk cancelling
it ****s with your head bad
he's also very friendly just about as much as i thought

oh and that frame input lag fix is actually really really noticeable

traversing through the menu mostly
quitting matches feels easier for what it's worth
and wavedashing is much much easier imo

:067:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It's not a tweak because he got nerfed and now I have to space, and I don't like spacing

iLink

Smash Champion
Metroid with that option select

If you win then thats great. If you loss then oh well you said you aren't any good anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom