• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astraea31

Smash Apprentice
I like how they labeled 2.1 Sonic as, "Falco's insane pressure + great recovery = He's broken." Last time I checked Falco didn't get destroyed by Fox.

These new Sonic changes reminds me of something.... (Brawl +)

OmegaMuffin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OmegaMuffin498
I like how they labeled 2.1 Sonic as, "Falco's insane pressure + great recovery = He's broken." Last time I checked Falco didn't get destroyed by Fox.

They didn't say Sonic was broken lol they said his Side-b was over centralizing. 2.1 Sonic could use the move over and and over without thinking twice and win a match. They reworked the move so it's still useful but not the only move he needs.

That being said, it's gonna be weird relearning him lol but once that's over, everyone will love him

Astraea31

Smash Apprentice
They didn't say Sonic was broken lol they said his Side-b was over centralizing. 2.1 Sonic could use the move over and and over without thinking twice and win a match. They reworked the move so it's still useful but not the only move he needs.

That being said, it's gonna be weird relearning him lol but once that's over, everyone will love him
"Unless you can wall him out, 2.1 Sonic plays a bit like Falco in that you have to play to his pace, and wait for him to leave himself open before you can make a move on him. Unlike Falco, though, Sonic is very difficult to gimp, is very mobile offstage (and thus difficult to edgeguard in general), and isn’t combo’d heavily like the space animals. It’s frustrating to play against."

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Exactly. UNLESS you can wall him out. What do you think Fox does to Sonic? Nair city reigns supreme lol. A few characters have pretty easy options to cover Side B/Sonic approaching in general. For the characters that don't, that summarization is pretty accurate because you tend to have to wait for him to make a move (otherwise you'll usually lose outright to his mobility/Side B to begin with)

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Remember all those major tournaments Sonic won? Thank goodness we toned that guy down.

Actually, for all I know there were plenty of Sonics winning tournaments. I haven't been paying attention.

Revven

FrankerZ
Instead of me responding to this, I am going to quote what Daze said on Smashmods to a post similar to your concerns.

`daze said:
The PMBR have discussed these changes very thoroughly in the backroom. The Sonic thread in there has more than twice the amount of posts than any other character, and we have reverted and scrapped many ideas in the process.

These changes did not come lightly!!

Sethlon, Rat, as well as many other playtesters have contributed many hours of time playtesting and giving feedback on this current design. Please try to give it a chance before selling it short. :)
As said, we did not pull the trigger on these changes. It's really hurtful to be compared to Brawl+, to me at least, because there was definitely a lot more reasons why Brawl+ turned out the way it did. But really, that's old hat. This is how things are and we really want people to be open minded with this. These changes did not just get thought of in one minute and slapped onto the character without any thought. It's been a lot of carefully planned, coordinated, team effort to come up with what was done and it was over the course of multiple months.

Seriously, he's had probably the most attention out of everyone coming into this demo. Probably even more than some of the new characters we've introduced. Maybe that's a hard comparison to make, or believe, but it's really how things were.

I wish I could show you just how much discussion there was. But you'll just have to take mine and daze's words for it. :)

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Remember all those major tournaments Sonic won? Thank goodness we toned that guy down.

Actually, for all I know there were plenty of Sonics winning tournaments. I haven't been paying attention.
Yes, he's actually won quite a few, and in some of the most competitive regions like Chicago and Florida.

:phone:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Man do people have a one track mind.

"but what if my janky character in a janky demo goes down in the tier list, oh no!"

Designing a game is more than having a tier fetish over all other concerns.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Well when you're designing a competitive game with balance as a goal... Tiers are pretty much the most important concern.
That's what SDRemix thought: we can't add new animations and don't have a clear direction so let's just speed everything up. Woo balance!

And that game is stuck being crap now as a result.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Moreover, bub, you've made it abundantly clear over the last few months that you think "having brawl tethers over melee tethers is rarely better". Especially during our conversation on the bus, you were directly opposed to brawl tethers.
Remember how you said on here that you have a hard time remember exactly what was said by you and me from times far back (specifically this time that you are referring to)? Well, I think that 'condition' is affecting you again, m'boy. :smirk: My exact sentiments were, and have always been, that I am completely for Brawl tethers if the PMBR decides to leave them in P:M. What I told you on the bus was that I like Melee tethers more and I told you a plethora of Samus-specific tricks that are no longer possible with the Brawl tether, but I also told you that I am against the notion that P:M should have Melee tethers "because Melee". I NEVER said that I was "directly opposed to brawl tethers." However, I am not going to fool myself into thinking that they are as good as Melee tethers were, because the fact is simply that they weren't.

Tl;dr - I am 100% for either leaving Brawl tethers in P:M or changing them into Melee tethers, but I believe that overall, Melee tethers were much more useful than Brawl tethers, although Brawl tethers do have their clutch uses.

euugh i won't even have my wii anymore
looks like leelue's 20$ will be my christmas present
Whaaa.....? Why'd you get rid of it? :(

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Tl;dr - I am 100% for either leaving Brawl tethers in P:M or changing them into Melee tethers, but I believe that overall, Melee tethers were much more useful than Brawl tethers, although Brawl tethers do have their clutch uses.
Do you know about a tether breakthrough that the rest of us don't?

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. I agree that the tier list is very important.

But the sight of watching people (who's only exposure of 2.5 was a few vids, mind you) think they have the insight to dictate and bicker about the tierlist is quite entertaining. Especially when they don't know all the changes or even all the characters. Just wait till 2.5 comes out, guys. I'm pretty sure the crew wont go out their way to upset you all.

Is it really possible that P:M now has wall tethers? O.O

bubbaking

Smash Hero
No, I don't, and to be perfectly honest, I don't exactly know how you got that from my post. I don't mean to be offensive or anything, but I just found that odd. :ohwell: I'm simply continuing an age-old discussion that probably started whenever P:M demo v2.0 originally came out (or maybe even earlier). I play all Smashes so I really don't mind conforming to any one form of tethering. I just don't like saying 'all versions are equal.' :p

#Racism

Btw...
Thought about how the 2 new characters will fit in the character select screen:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
...1 2 3 4 5 6 7...

This is the only character select configuration that looks any good aethetically, so it must be it.
Does this configuration include the random char button? :confused:

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
SDR is actually pretty good and a lot of people I know have played and enjoyed it, though there are still problems.

It's "stuck being crap" because it doesn't come with it the ease of acquisition like the Brawl mods do and has to essentially compete with Project: M for much of the same market. That being said, I'll quit talking about that and be more excited to prepare for my doubles Squirtle.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Characters with tether grabs should have melee wall tethers while characters with up b tether recoveries should have brawl tethers. That would keep things consistent and fair.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Me, Julian, strongbad, or canned bread. Who has the best Christmas avatar?
I'm being totally impartial here, but I'm gonna have to say that Moses' - I mean - Eli's avatar is better than all of yours. :p

Nairshine and drillshine say hi! :awesome:

For the characters that don't, that summarization is pretty accurate because you tend to have to wait for him to make a move (otherwise you'll usually lose outright to his mobility/Side B to begin with)
Problem is, if you wait, you're liable to get annoyed endlessly or just plain hit outright because his stuff can be pretty safe on shields unless you have a really good usmash or upB OoS.

As said, we did not pull the trigger on these changes. It's really hurtful to be compared to Brawl+, to me at least, because there was definitely a lot more reasons why Brawl+ turned out the way it did. But really, that's old hat. This is how things are and we really want people to be open minded with this. These changes did not just get thought of in one minute and slapped onto the character without any thought. It's been a lot of carefully planned, coordinated, team effort to come up with what was done and it was over the course of multiple months.

Seriously, he's had probably the most attention out of everyone coming into this demo. Probably even more than some of the new characters we've introduced. Maybe that's a hard comparison to make, or believe, but it's really how things were.

I wish I could show you just how much discussion there was. But you'll just have to take mine and daze's words for it. :)
Y'know, a little transparency is never a bad thing. ;)

But the sight of watching people (who's only exposure of 2.5 was a few vids, mind you) think they have the insight to dictate and bicker about the tierlist is quite entertaining. Especially when they don't know all the changes or even all the characters. Just wait till 2.5 comes out, guys. I'm pretty sure the crew wont go out their way to upset you all.
To be fair, a lot more people than you think have probably been directly exposed to 2.5. I mean, it's been brought to several tournaments and fests already so I wouldn't go off assuming that everyone who talks about their gripes with the dev. build doesn't have valuable insight, although there probably are a few people who do actually talk about it without having played or seen much of it.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I think Lucas's tether would look really weird if it clung to walls instead of the edge.
Not if the snake's mouth was completely wide open with noticable sharp fangs that were stuck into the side of the stage.

On second thought the PMBR should give the rope snake fangs either way, it would look way cooler.

Rat

Smash Lord
@2.5 Sonic Skeptics

I can understand where you're coming from. In the BR, I've been probably the most upset at the Sonic changes and pushed hardest against them. I <3 the B-button extravaganza that 2.1 Sonic was. 2.1 SideB is probably my favorite move.

But I'm starting to come around on this Sonic. He's a really strong character. Less Lock-out and more Hit them and kill them. If you end up hating the character, or stop playing him. I get that. But I'm pretty excited to play this guy in tournament.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
@2.5 Sonic Skeptics

I can understand where you're coming from. In the BR, I've been probably the most upset at the Sonic changes and pushed hardest against them. I <3 the B-button extravaganza that 2.1 Sonic was. 2.1 SideB is probably my favorite move.

But I'm starting to come around on this Sonic. He's a really strong character. Less Lock-out and more Hit them and kill them. If you end up hating the character, or stop playing him. I get that. But I'm pretty excited to play this guy in tournament.
One thing people were wondering: Is blast attack useful in a match if it doesn't seem to hit very often?

leelue

Smash Lord
Upstaged by Eli once again
For what it's worth, I place high at every tournament with sonic and I'm super fraudulent.
Except for when I fought Eli, cmart, ryoko and chillin, nobody knows wtf to do lol. Easy $.

Sigh

I would like for the br to give more love to people who like being annoying jerks that run away, but I guess that is what 2 seed bombs is for.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Upstaged by Eli once again
For what it's worth, I place high at every tournament with sonic and I'm super fraudulent.
Except for when I fought Eli, cmart, ryoko and chillin, nobody knows wtf to do lol. Easy $.

Sigh

I would like for the br to give more love to people who like being annoying jerks that run away, but I guess that is what 2 seed bombs is for.
Just play Falcon and dash dance camp. You even get free grabs, reaction-based techchases, and random knees at 60% from it.

The worst the PMBR can do is change him into an actual character.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
Just play Falcon and dash dance camp. You even get free grabs, reaction-based techchases, and random knees at 60% from it.

The worst the PMBR can do is change him into an actual character.
Kink-Link: master of segueing ANYTHING into his weird obsessive hate of a video game character

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom