• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Why does Ike have to be in good hands? I want Wario to wield a sword made of gas. Is that too much to ask? Nay

9Kplus1

Smash Master
SkarmBliss is bad in any gen besides gen3
And it's beaten by magneton there anyway (or lol Nosepass).
Late reply, but this is just untrue.

Foremost, SkarmBliss rules Gen II OU alongside Snorlax; how you can say that it's "bad in any gen besides gen3" is beyond me. SkarmBliss didn't die off until late HG/SS for very good reason. I'm sure that you, like many, miscomprehend why SkarmBliss was so widely popular in earlier metagames. In previous generations, Pokemon had to be taylored very specifically to beat SkarmBliss; these Pokemon, due to the lack of raw power, nonexistent defensive capabilities, or some other reason which comes with committing themselves to that particular offensive task, are rather easy to check. Therefore mixed walls and even offensive pivots are great compliments to SkarmBliss. With only three slots, one could check a large portion of the metagame -- in both Gen IV and III. Jabba's semi-stall team, Rotom, Charge! as well as many of the more defensively oriented Gen V teams make very good use of SkarmBliss and show why it hasn't faltered as much as you're making it seem.

tl;dr - It's not about what can "beat" SkarmBliss (your Magneton example is pretty crappy since DUGTRIO and RAIKOU are common sights in Gen III OU), it's what team styles SkarmBliss can neuter and / or outright stop.

Why does Ike have to be in good hands? I want Wario to wield a sword made of gas. Is that too much to ask? Nay
Idk man, those farts are pretty sharp.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Why doesn't it have laser priority? Because it's a different character with different properties and uses for the move compared to those other characters and their similar moves. It's like asking why Toon Link's bombs aren't single hit like Link's bombs.

Design reasoning aside, it's balance concerns too.
Except non transcendent projectiles are strictly inferior to transcendent ones and different bomb effects are not strictly inferior or superior to one another.

It's purely a worse move than it could be.

But it's still a pretty good move. I'm not arguing that part, I'm arguing the super flawed logic of "It's different because he's not Fox and Falco and needs things to be different or people might get them confused"

leelue

Smash Lord
I'd put in 300 if it was a guarantee

But for some reason, some people perhaps with names that rhyme with shehatestreecko seem to think otherwise. Because canon.

But yes, seriously, demo 1 fair was his best A move. By far.

I've been petitioning for it since the beginning. I just don't understand the attachment the team has with eagle, but it is misguided.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Every 4 months? You aren't spamming them every other day? You're doing it wrong

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
I don't know why anyone would make a public statement that he's ignoring someone. If anything, he should just not say anything and silently put the grievous one on his ignore list, and if someone replies to the person being ignored, then ignore that, too. Anyways.....

Morrigan's projectiles are so good because they come from both sides of the screen and combo into each other.

Comparing that to anything in smash is a ludicrous hyperbole at best.
Well, to be fair, Wolf's lasers also combo into each other, especially if you line them up on top of each other.

Fox is a better character than Falco in SSBM.
Falco is a better character than Fox in SSBM.
I think Scarr was talking about P:M. Fox is probably still #1 in this game, but Falco might not be #2, although he is still amazing (and Top Tier).

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Actually, that's where I'm going to have to disagree with you. Falco's lasers don't actually 'combo' into each other. They simply put Falco at a fairly large frame advantage that makes it very easy for the opponent to simply get hit by more lasers whenever he tries to do something. It's a similar concept to Samus standing in front of your shield performing crouch cancelled jabs. It's not a true shieldstring, but you can't punish it because Samus's frame 3 jab gives her frame advantage over any action you could possibly do OoS. Try anything and the next jab will stuff you out. Falco's lasers only truly combo into something when he is actually close enough to perform a move immediately after the land cancel that will hit you. I mean, the action is still safe because the laser is transcendent and has no lag, so nothing will ever beat it out and stop Falco from setting up his combo, but the combo is still what it is, a a true combo, only because he was close enough to you to take full advantage of the laser's hitstun.

Tl;dr - Consecutive hits of Falco's lasers aren't combos; they're frametraps, really good frametraps.

Edit: Regardless, this still adds up to "Falco's lasers are better than Wolf's."

tl;dr - It's not about what can "beat" SkarmBliss (your Magneton example is pretty crappy since DUGTRIO and RAIKOU are common sights in Gen III OU), it's what team styles SkarmBliss can neuter and / or outright stop.
Oh man, I completely didn't notice that he used Magneton as his counter to Skarmbliss. :facepalm: I just assumed he was talking about Magnezone, since no one really uses Ton over Zone anymore, not for countering steel cores, anyway.

Well, since this is the Pokemon thread, I'm just gonna drop this here.
My curiosity has been piqued. What is this? :oneeye:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Oh, I assumed otherwise because DMG mentioned Shed Shell or something. Still, even in Gen 3, Magneton was alright. You can't really have an Electric type that's so slow and has such a low specD. It doesn't really do much outside of counter Steels. Devoting an entire slot just for that means SkarmBliss is definitely doing its job right, since they counteract a LOT of good cores out there. Magneton is also Dugtrio bait.

Revven

FrankerZ
We gettin a Project M board soon?
If there's a demand for it, I wouldn't be surprised. However, given the fact the game still isn't in a finished form, I doubt it.

At best, we would be separated from being within the Brawl General Discussion sub-forum finally. Because we wouldn't need to be hidden anymore for "legality" reasons.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Oh, I assumed otherwise because DMG mentioned Shed Shell or something. Still, even in Gen 3, Magneton was alright. You can't really have an Electric type that's so slow and has such a low specD. It doesn't really do much outside of counter Steels.
Magneton was fantastic in Gen 3, and PM 2.5 will be fantastic, too.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
When I used to play gen IIII Maggy wasn't so popular, but I played about a year ago and nearly everyone was using him. Skarm is a pretty good dude.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
If there's a demand for it, I wouldn't be surprised. However, given the fact the game still isn't in a finished form, I doubt it.
However, I don't see that as a valid reason when Smash 4 has a subforum despite it being completely speculation due to the lack of confirmations.

I think we have to wait until AFTER the server move to see the true effects.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Super-secret PMBR intel below:

Project:M's official release title will be Project:Magus

Magneton was fantastic in Gen 3, and PM 2.5 will be fantastic, too.
It's far from fantastic. Magneton only traps literally ONE steel in entire metagame. Forry have wised up over the years and started running EQ; Jirachi usually carries Fire Punch + CM; and Magneton can quickly beat its doppelganger 1v1. Being fodder for Dugtrio, Raikou, Mence, Celebi, and Jolteon doesn't really help it either.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
He means Gen 3. Magnezone didn't come until later.

Stevo

Smash Champion
the site has to transfer servers. Just read the announcement.

Edit: that sounded more cold then I meant it lol. I just meant I don't remember all the details from the announcement, so you should probably just read that to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom