• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Now that I disagree with. The 1 new or different thing I saw was canceling on hit into AS charging/canceling that charging into whatever. I'm not saying he played bad either, he did plenty of stuff Lucario's don't have down or don't use to the fullest lol.
Actually, when I played Vanguard's version, he told me that I probably shouldn't play 2.5 Lucario if I main 2.1 Luke because there are a LOT of small changes that actually make him feel very different. I played him anyway and saw exactly what he was talking about. Nothing will be divulged from me, though.

I have to get this out because it really grinds my gears when people do this.

Its LIKE no one ever was.
:glare:
My apologies. We must always get these correct. ;)

Agreed, DMG. Leffen may suck, but his Lucario is Eli-like.
Elike
10rapes
Stop feeding him, people. :p

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Nah. His laser is mad good already. No reason to make it stupidly powerful.
Wrong.

Wolf should shoot slow moving falcon punches and should have a 1:48 chance of shooting the Ganondoken from brawl minus

And a 1:300 chance of shooting either a Mr. Saturn, Bob-omb, beam sword, stitchface, or a CPU ditto who transforms into another wolf so you can do double combos like morrigans in marvel vs capcom

and then he could shoot soul fists lasers in a hardcore lockdown fashion

and a 1:4000 chance of turning into manaphy who swaps the characters and if you kill yourself as the other character you respawn as captain ginyu and then you can final smash body swap and swap the characters back and the other player will respawn as goku... but with a blaster... that shoots spirit bombs.

Yakal

Torquasm-Rao
Wrong.

Wolf should shoot slow moving falcon punches and should have a 1:48 chance of shooting the Ganondoken from brawl minus

And a 1:300 chance of shooting either a Mr. Saturn, Bob-omb, beam sword, stitchface, or a CPU ditto who transforms into another wolf so you can do double combos like morrigans in marvel vs capcom

and then he could shoot soul fists lasers in a hardcore lockdown fashion

and a 1:4000 chance of turning into manaphy who swaps the characters and if you kill yourself as the other character you respawn as captain ginyu and then you can final smash body swap and swap the characters back and the other player will respawn as goku... but with a blaster... that shoots spirit bombs.
How whimsical of you.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
wolf should be able to low blaster by making the airdodge be able to cancel earlier

i would be excited if the blaster wen a little farther

and i really think his dair shouldn't cause knockdown at 0-20 ish on a lot of chars

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
Ooh, skid attack ledge cancels? Does skid->fair work on anyone? Skid->HA? Skid-sideB-footstool-dair-shenanigans?

I might have to pick up Sonic again.
Yes, all of those work on different percentages, it's rather new so it still needs to be more explored.

This "spin hop" and "somersault" of Spin Maneuvers, would they happen to be the same moves as his attacking sequence in Sonic Advance that ended in a somersault? Namely the sequence B > B > A?

#InquiriesOfASonicFan
The somersault->skid attack combo debuted in sonic adventure 2/sonic advance, the attack appeared again on heroes, advance 2 and 3, even on shadow the hedgehog and '06 iirc.

They were inspired from those moves, yes.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I don't like it. The actual laser (or more like Fireball I don't think you can call it a laser at this point) is not that threatening. I'm not impressed that regular sex kicks eat through it like bagels. Guile called and he wants his projectile to get eaten by standing mediums.

The movement options out of his laser also don't impress me because it seems mostly irrelevant. Fox and Falco laser, hit the ground, no lag. Simple and damn efficient. Why would you need to WD? If you are lasering so close to a person that you are badly misspaced and they will punish you, but that little WD backwards would save you... then don't laser that close to someone lol. Honestly, it just means less time to do more lasers. Why would falco WD/WL out of his laser, go through that lag, when he could simply hit the ground and be jumping already? Same with Fox.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I like that Sonic has a nice repertoire of kick and foot attacks, it suits him well.

I think too often people think Sonic just spins circles around his opponents physics-free when that's only true in anime.

In the classic games you have to rev up your spindashes and you need momentum to roll into badniks.

Physics need to play a big role in Sonic's spin attacks and not just "gotta go fast" while hopping everywhere like he's on crack.

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
I think that maybe you've never played against a good Wolf, DMG. I use his lasers very often and they are amazing. Seriously, they do not need any form of a buff.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The actual laser is crap. You can do unique things with it due to how slow it travels, but the laser as a standalone threat is poor imo because the speed and especially the priority are super lacking. Like being able to Falcon Nair through it no prob feels very wrong. Now if the opponent has bad ways of breaking it, say Ganon in the air who doesn't want to be committed to Fair or might not hit with his Nair, then sure it becomes fairly annoying lol.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
You have to also think that a slow moving projectile is a constant threat, specially wolf's since he can act while the projectile is moving, you will have to concentrate on both the laser moving towards you and wolf doing the same.

It's the kind of projectile that is there to help his rushdown much more than work incredibly well as a keepaway tool.

If the projectile does both things, you get a character like Morrigan in umvc3.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It seems less effective just because of the movement options your opponent has.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
you only use heavy fireballs in street fighter too right
I don't always use Slow Fireballs

But when I do, I expect them to go through punches

You have to also think that a slow moving projectile is a constant threat, specially wolf's since he can act while the projectile is moving, you will have to concentrate on both the laser moving towards you and wolf doing the same.

It's the kind of projectile that is there to help his rushdown much more than work incredibly well as a keepaway tool.

On that I agree. It's much more useful as an approaching tool in tandem with Wolf moving than any defensive application. However the priority still works against it offensively because the threat is a fireball not a laser. That lets you focus more on Wolf, especially in an environment (Smash) where you aren't so limited in your responses to projectiles.

Edit: ^^^ Hylian answered it easier. The "Guile" idea works better in those games because the opponent's options are fewer and much more predictable. Not to mention if you get trapped or have to block, you eat chip damage where as we get lovely shields and PSing.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
you're thinking too linearly. wolf can use lasers in the air too. they only have so many movement options. and a well placed laser can help cover a lot of them, and due to its slow speed you'll have time to catch up with it and cover the rest.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Well gotta be somewhat careful with that. Lucario's super AS is very well executed for the idea (and thank god it's balanced by needing the super lol). Wolf has a more spammable option, you can't make it too big or janky otherwise yes the threat of Wolf approaching or covering your option with it would be ridiculous. The only change I would do is better priority. That's it.

On that note, would you guys even be able to make it a laser? I don't remember everything but I thought you guys were having trouble changing or making projectiles.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
"Catch up with it?" How far away are you using this laser? If you're doing it from any form of distance the opponent can easily just shift to a better positioning and punish Wolf's approach unless you're on FD or something. Whenever I saw Eli throwing out lasers at me, he was doing it right in my face, lining up two or three of them together.

KingBlaze777

Smash Apprentice
The only things that are holding Wolf's laser back is priority and travel length (MAAAYYYBE speed, but not as much as the other two.) If Wolf's laser could travel a third of what Falco's laser does and have the same priority, Wolf's laser games could be just as powerful as Falco's while keeping its originality.

Red(SP)

Smash Journeyman
I know I don't play a lot of Wolf's on average, so getting used to the laser waveland was a bit awkward for me.

I don't think the lasers are that bad at all, imo. But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the PMBR buffed some aspect of the laser to make it more viable in use.

Revven

FrankerZ
WHy isnt his lazer transcendant like the other spacies/vBrawl?
Why doesn't it have laser priority? Because it's a different character with different properties and uses for the move compared to those other characters and their similar moves. It's like asking why Toon Link's bombs aren't single hit like Link's bombs.

Design reasoning aside, it's balance concerns too.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
The somersault->skid attack combo debuted in sonic adventure 2/sonic advance, the attack appeared again on heroes, advance 2 and 3, even on shadow the hedgehog and '06 iirc.

They were inspired from those moves, yes.
Ahh, I see... However, I've only seen the 'somersault' in Sonic Advance. Right at the end of Sonic's standard attack sequence if you pressed A instead of B, he'd do this huge flip into the air. Perhaps I just missed it in other games.....but I've played the other Sonic Advances, Heroes, and even Shadow (I think I'm one of the only people who thinks Heroes is a good game). Fully completed all of them, too... :ohwell:

I don't like it. The actual laser (or more like Fireball I don't think you can call it a laser at this point) is not that threatening. I'm not impressed that regular sex kicks eat through it like bagels. Guile called and he wants his projectile to get eaten by standing mediums.

The movement options out of his laser also don't impress me because it seems mostly irrelevant. Fox and Falco laser, hit the ground, no lag. Simple and damn efficient. Why would you need to WD? If you are lasering so close to a person that you are badly misspaced and they will punish you, but that little WD backwards would save you... then don't laser that close to someone lol. Honestly, it just means less time to do more lasers. Why would falco WD/WL out of his laser, go through that lag, when he could simply hit the ground and be jumping already? Same with Fox.
Again, this whole post can be summarized as "Wolf's lasers are not as good as Falco's." I agree and I also agree that Wolf is not as good as a character as Falco is. Now, is the problem with Wolf or with Falco? :c

However, you are right. Having to inflict 10 frames more of lag for a laser is a little extraneous. Still, I'm fine with it.

I like that Sonic has a nice repertoire of kick and foot attacks, it suits him well.

I think too often people think Sonic just spins circles around his opponents physics-free when that's only true in anime.

In the classic games you have to rev up your spindashes and you need momentum to roll into badniks.

Physics need to play a big role in Sonic's spin attacks and not just "gotta go fast" while hopping everywhere like he's on crack.
This man speaks the truth. We need Sheik to look more manly so that people have a hard time discerning whether she is female or not. Oh, and the spacees need more barrel rolls. :troll:

The actual laser is crap. You can do unique things with it due to how slow it travels, but the laser as a standalone threat is poor imo because the speed and especially the priority are super lacking. Like being able to Falcon Nair through it no prob feels very wrong. Now if the opponent has bad ways of breaking it, say Ganon in the air who doesn't want to be committed to Fair or might not hit with his Nair, then sure it becomes fairly annoying lol.
Welcome to the miserable life of Samus. Do you think she likes having missiles made of papier-mâché and charged shots that are popped like balloons? Now another character can share her pain. :smirk:

Well, since you bring her up, Morrigan is good but she's not Top Tier by herself like Zero, Vergil, Doom, etc. She just works really well with certain (campy) teammates.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I just had the funniest thing happen against a CPU... I was Wario against a level 9 Luigi. He was recovering on the right side of Battlefield and I intercepted him with a dair meteor. I stayed on the right edge to taunt. Straight from the respawn platform, he ran to the left side of the stage (without even coming towards me at all), waited at the edge, and then jumped off and airdodged to his death.

I was going to upload it and make a joke about the PMBR programming in a secret "salt" feature for CPUs, but my replay desynched (even though I'm using the wifi codeset).

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Woooooooooaaaaaaaaaaah, did SWF suddenly get a new feature? "The maximum amount of posts on this page can display has been reached. Posts will now start to disappear from oldest to newest."

Edit: Holy cow, SWF has horrible grammar. :p

I just had the funniest thing happen against a CPU... I was Wario against a level 9 Luigi. He was recovering on the right side of Battlefield and I intercepted him with a dair meteor. I stayed on the right edge to taunt. Straight from the respawn platform, he ran to the left side of the stage (without even coming towards me at all), waited at the edge, and then jumped off and airdodged to his death.

I was going to upload it and make a joke about the PMBR programming in a secret "salt" feature for CPUs, but my replay desynched (even though I'm using the wifi codeset).
Perhaps it was already desynched before the match even ended? That's what the CPU's behavior makes it seem like.....

Revven

FrankerZ
Balance wise, it's incredibly easy to just attack through them <_<
Let me spin it another way.

You'd rather Wolf weave in, shoot the laser, AD back constantly with walls of lasers that are slow and controlling space, making it extremely difficult for characters slower than he is to get through and attack him? Because that's kind of what would happen and what we experienced when they were laser priority for awhile. Which would make Wolf's matches progressively slower depending on the MU and all that jazz.

Or, would you rather him be able to shoot all the lasers he wants, but characters can get through them reasonably well?

We've tested a lot of stuff before... I don't think it's out of the question to assume we already tried laser priority on them to know they were stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom