• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
dear god that recovery tier list is bad
It's really not that bad. As far as recoveries that are relevant as recoveries (and not as measures of the characters off-stage/gimping game) go, the only one it really gets totally wrong is Falco, and even then, Falco's recovery is still, strictly speaking, not a good recovery.

I guess Kirby's recovery is also way too high. But all in all, the only recoveries it totally bombs on are terrible recoveries both back then, and today.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
It's an official 2.5 recolor, will be available along with the game once it's released.
Awesome news!

I know the PMBR doesn't want this to open up the floodgates of recolor requests from the dumb masses, but just know adding them in where it makes sense is greatly appreciated by many of us.

Just keep red skin/white belly & blue skin/orange belly. Those are my other favs.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
I have three questions: Is Default Zard now the red team texture? Will Shiny Zard also be included in the official build? For the equivalent reasons, will Shiny Lucario/other PT Pokémon also be included?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Mewtwo has much, much more vertical distance, better overall air control, stalling methods of his own, and more options once he gets into range of the ledge. Not to mention he has less lag out of his upb if he can't sweetspot.

He does have a harder time protecting himself because he doesn't really have exceptional forward hitboxes, and he doesn't get full height from his DJ if he uses an aerial until a rather predictable point in the jump animation.
Mewtwo's stalling methods consists of sideB and bair. Hardly comparable to the wonder that is bomb jumping. Mewtwo's vertical distance doesn't compare to Samus's DJ > (rising) tether > upB. I'll give you the less lag out of upB, but at least Samus's upB has a (great) hitbox, as well as invincibility on startup.

I don't think this list is indicative of Melee's current meta-game. Falco's recovery is way too good to be the 4th-worst recovery in the game >.>.
Falco's recovery is good when he's close enough to recover, but you also have to factor in distance gained vertically and horizontally while also factoring in how much of a comeback factor the recovery has after it's been hit. If Falco gets hit while he's in the charge-up portion of his recovery, he's pretty much dead. Same could be said for everyone in the Middle Tier of the list and lower, while others have a much better chance of returning, even after a gimp attempt.
So then why is Sheik's recovery so high? Sheik's actual distance covered by her recovery moves is shorter than Falco's. Falco has a higher DJ and more distance on his recovery specials. "Comeback factor"? If Falco hits you with his upB or his sideB, he can often turn that into a stock because of spacee BS. If you're unlucky enough that his sideB carried you right over Falco's landing point, I hope you like getting baired. Combos out of his upB are self-explanatory. Falco's recovery is versatile and can flip the tables completely if he hits the opponent with it. It's part of the whole 'stupid spacee' package. :glare:

sorry i wasn't clear what i meant in the first post btw, typing in a rush sucks lol

Bowser wasn't vulnerable until after the move ended in melee since he was still invulnerable, i think he could upB pretty quick after that.

and i wouldn't mind his stopping so much if it didn't consistantly make it so that i was falling off the stage, since he usually keeps his momentum.
I get what Shadow is trying to say. He's saying that in Melee, even with the hitbox gone due to the clank, Bowser would finish his get-up animation, thus maintaining all of the get-up's invincibility. In Project M, the get-up clanks and the clank resets Bowser to neutral, thus effectively removing all of the invincibility that Bowser was looking forward to when he executed the get-up attack in the first place.

jalued

Smash Lord
I get what Shadow is trying to say. He's saying that in Melee, even with the hitbox gone due to the clank, Bowser would finish his get-up animation, thus maintaining all of the get-up's invincibility. In Project M, the get-up clanks and the clank resets Bowser to neutral, thus effectively removing all of the invincibility that Bowser was looking forward to when he executed the get-up attack in the first place.
That might explain why we were getting more clanks in PM than we ever get in melee. I'm guessing it all goes back to how brawl inputs commands...

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Or we might just think we are getting more clanks because of that really loud clanking sound that P:M has now...

He can also die from countering an attack at the ledge. He just falls way too fast.
marth does that too, though...
Nah. If Marth counters an attack at the ledge, he can still upB to the ledge. Same goes for if he accidentally sideB's twice or uses nB at the ledge. Roy dies in all of those situations, though. Don't ask me why I know all this stuff. Stony Brook University, oddly enough, has an unusually large number of Roys who play Melee competitively. There are at least five of them. I don't know why there's such a large Roy following there.

But DK can decide to muscle his way to the ledge or he can recover high and benefit from a lagless landing.
if he can land, that is...
True, but the same exact thing goes for Ness. If he recovers high, he probably won't land, and he actually HAS lag upon landing. To make things worse, he can't even fight his way to the ledge like DK can.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I think that list is pretty accurate for what it is representing, which is distance from which you can recover.

It does not represent however what matters most in recovery, the amount of options you have.
Nah, they tried to factor in versatility, too; they just failed horribly IMO.

Found the Melee recovery tier list I as thinking about. The list is based on distance and versatility. It hasn't really been disputed since 2007, but I do agree with this tier list.

Top Tier
--1. Jigglypuff
--2. Mewtwo
--3. Samus

Upper Tier
--4. Peach
--5. Pichu
--6. Pikachu

High Tier
--7. Ice Climbers
--8. Kirby
--9. Fox
--10. Link

Middle Tier
--11. Sheik
--12. Young Link
--13. Zelda
--14. Ganon
--15. Yoshi

Low Tier
--16. Marth
--17. Ness
--18. Donkey Kong
--19. Game and Watch
--20. Luigi
--21. Bowser

Bottom Tier
--22. Mario
--23. Falco
--24. Captain Falcon
--25. Doctor Mario
--26. Roy
Are a lot of people planning to play Metaknight or Pit? Call me a hipster, but i don't want to be too mainstream.
Well, I'm already playing Pit, so shove off! :p

Edit mcninja hardly anyone uses pit
Soooo not true... :pit:

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I'd love this to be coded as such. Let him have his three team costumes and two other slots for custom textures.
That's the other thing I was wondering. I know that JC had Aerozard and Shinyzard on his stream yesterday, but I didn't pay attention to the other colors. Normally Charizard only has 5 colors. The PMBR already uses team-friendly R/G/B colors, and I wouldn't expect them to replace a character's default costume. Normally I would have assumed that JC manually replaced the two non-team colors with those two, but after hearing that one of them is an official skin now, that doesn't leave space for the other one... Unless...

B.W.

Smash Champion
If we can eventually get additional colors, I vote we get an alternate costume with its own colors for every character. (Except Wario. He already has one.)

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
The PMBR already uses team-friendly R/G/B colors, and I wouldn't expect them to replace a character's default costume. Normally I would have assumed that JC manually replaced the two non-team colors with those two, but after hearing that one of them is an official skin now, that doesn't leave space for the other one... Unless...
It's quite simple. Put default Zard's texture+picture on red's slot, put a custom texture+picture over the original default slot, then change the order of the selection a la overalls Wario. This leaves all the team colors (with default functioning as red) and two extra colors.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Yeah, let's make Project M so big that it won't fit on most SD cards without cutting down your stage and music hack options. :troll:
Good point. I don't use many music hacks or stage hacks though.

I'd be down getting stuff like every Doctor Mario color over Mario while still having the original Mario colors, or having 5 Mr. L colors over Luigi, 5 Hero of Times, 5 Outset Toon Links, 5 Awakening Marths, etc.

It'd just be cool as a side project thing at least.

ds22

Smash Lord
It's quite simple. Put default Zard's texture+picture on red's slot, put a custom texture+picture over the original default slot, then change the order of the selection a la overalls Wario. This leaves all the team colors (with default functioning as red) and two extra colors.
It's actually simpler than that...
But like FireBall Stars said, just stay tuned for more recolour related info in the near future.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
It's actually simpler than that...
But like FireBall Stars said, just stay tuned for more recolour related info in the near future.
Let me guess... Make the game load the default slot as the red team?

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
yes that was what i was talking about. it's something i think should be fixed if it's possible

That might explain why we were getting more clanks in PM than we ever get in melee. I'm guessing it all goes back to how brawl inputs commands...
could be, but what bubbaking said about the differences is the problem

also i'll have videos of the landing problem bowser has next week when i'm able to get them uploaded, Life and I played a first to ten, all Bowser vs Falco

:phone:

stingers

Smash Obsessed
disable does "stall" but you lose height. its only worthwhile if you're recovering from really high up as even though you lose height you gain some horizontal distance.

credentials: mewtwo player

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Let me guess... Make the game load the default slot as the red team?
This is what I was going to say was not possible... to my knowledge.

But they're making it sound like it was one of the things that they managed to crack. Either that, or they managed to get BrawlMasquerade finished to give everyone 6 costumes (notice how ds22 just posted for the first time in months?). Either way, it's gonna be something great once they reveal it (and you know it will be something since they keep telling us to wait and find out what it is).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom