• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

iLink

Smash Champion
What are you doing wrong? Are you not getting any distance from the AGT or not getting the AGT at all?

Metà

Smash Master
you don't need to even use a jump, if you're doimg the agt properly and doing an up-b right after, there should be no problem. the timing window is fairly large, so I'm a little confused as to what you're doing wrong

maybe try uploading a video and we can help you?

edit: didn't see previous post. are you using c-stick or A button for the throw? i find using the c-stick to be more consistent. keep in mind link's agt doesn't give him much distance anyway, just make sure you up-b while you still have momentum from the airdodge

:phone:

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
you don't need to even use a jump, if you're doimg the agt properly and doing an up-b right after, there should be no problem. the timing window is fairly large, so I'm a little confused as to what you're doing wrong

maybe try uploading a video and we can help you?

:phone:
Coming up. I'll record for about an hour and cut it into any significant clips if I can.

iLink

Smash Champion
If you don't get enough distance, that's a side effect of canceling the air dodge too soon and not letting it propel you far enough.

At least that's what I found to be the case.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
I played some friendlies with Mango, Chillin and Meta at FC, and his Mario looked much more scary than his Fox did. His Fox couldn't beat Chillin's wolf in those friendlies, but his Mario dominated it pretty convincingly.

Could definitely see him taking that tournament with Mario.
What I saw of his Mario (which was only a couple matches) it really didn't seem like he was dominating. He was certainly playing very well, but it almost looked like he was playing more defensively than he would play his Fox. I know they're different characters, but Mango tends to play stupid offensive in an incredibly smart way and his Mario honestly didn't look that different from Hungrybox's or even mine (not saying I'm anywhere near either of their level, but the general playstyle looked similar excluding the tech skill and consistency).

cannedbread

Smash Lord
he might still be getting used to the feel of the game. i don't care what anyone says you can't just plop a melee player into this game and expect them to play exactly like melee.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
what's new is this strange boner i have for being unable to stop staring at catgirl shiek. dat tail. dat ***. ffuuuu

oh right smash bros.

yeah i gotta agree. if you take a melee player and sit them down with P:M, they're gonna have some issues at first. It's like putting on a new pair of pants vs old faithful jeans.

but also, it could just be mango not giving 2 ****s about P:M. Does he legitimately like this game?

iLink

Smash Champion
I think most melee players can adjust in about a match or two, unless they have their mind so focused on nitpicking everything possible and complaining about things that are actually identical to melee. (I have come across this)

One of the things that does happen, though, is they don't take advantage of some of the brawl mechanics that are still in like RAR and b reversals and many don't even take the time to experiment with them after they are told about them because they are uncomfortable trying something new, even if it benefits their character.

metroid1117

Smash Master
but also, it could just be mango not giving 2 ****s about P:M. Does he legitimately like this game?
I don't think he had ever played it prior to FC. I'm not really sure how he feels about the game
In a video where Dantarion and Mango were once talking about PM while watching some matches, Mango said he liked it. Also, second post of the thread says that Mango was a playtester at some point, so he's played it before FC.

For reference, the video (and the PM part) is here.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Kink if you want to bomb jump with link just zdrop the bomb, fast fall, and then up-b so that the back of your up-b hits the bomb. AGT upwards into your bomb isn't as reliable because links up-b actually hits the bomb away from him.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Mango apparently wanted to enter PM at FC but didn't know that it was free with the ABC pass.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
How does fast falling help a recovery at all?
You don't have to fast fall for long, just enough so that you are right under the bomb. Otherwise you miss the bomb. You can recover from the bottom of the stage doing this, and this is how I bomb jump and it works fine. It's also easier to sweet spot the ledge with imo.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I wish i could airdodge out of my upb as sonic. :( gotta do that aerial

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Sinz it is ok. Sonic has an amazing recovery.
Eh horizontally its good, but vertically its ok but not amazing. You can raise up with side b and then if they are close enough b, otherwise you have to upb and pray to sweet spot it, but if you go to low they just edgehog and you are kind of ****ed. By the time the aerial is over and you do airdodge its too late :(

Oh one more question, how come ike can walljump from his sideb but sonic can't?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Because Ike and sonic are nothing alike.
Hell, even their side-bs are nothing alike.
That's like asking why every other character in the game can't do it just because Ike can.
...it's because he's Ike
and they aren't....

Also, he (sonic) can wall jump after you jump out of it... so it you really wanted a way to make his recovery a tiny bit better... that would be it.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Because Ike and sonic are nothing alike.
Hell, even their side-bs are nothing alike.
That's like asking why every other character in the game can't do it just because Ike can.
...it's because he's Ike
and they aren't....

Also, he (sonic) can wall jump after you jump out of it... so it you really wanted a way to make his recovery a tiny bit better... that would be it.
The thing is Ike couldn't walljump previously in Brawl, but can out of his side b, but sonic can't. Yes you can walljump after side b if you do a jump. It's not the same.

I realize that its a different kind of recovery and that Ike and Sonic are drastically different characters. I just don't get the reasoning for Ike being able to walljump out of side b.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
I realize that its a different kind of recovery and that Ike and Sonic are drastically different characters. I just don't get the reasoning for Ike being able to walljump out of side b.
Because his recovery was really really awful in Brawl and needed some buffs?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
thats like saying falcos recovery was awful in melee, it deserves some buffs XD
How so? Falco is one of if not the best character in melee, him having a weak recovery is a necessary weakness that they wouldn't change. Ike was horrible in brawl, and got changed drastically.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Sinz sonic is invincible for a significant portion of his up b. Sonic's recovery is easily one of the 6 best in the game.
The early portion of his upb is invincible, I never said his recovery was terrible. I just really hate having to do an aerial in order to even try to air dodge. It just doesn't flow if you know what I mean.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
The early portion of his upb is invincible, I never said his recovery was terrible. I just really hate having to do an aerial in order to even try to air dodge. It just doesn't flow if you know what I mean.
unless you get hit out of second jump, there should be no need for air dodge out of up-b. if you end up in that situation, it's your own fault....because Sonic's recovery is AMAZING

great horizontal reach (side-b), great vertical reach(up-b), homing attack/down-b for mixups, plus air dodge out of up-b....come on bro

`dazrin

Smash Champion
what's new is this strange boner i have for being unable to stop staring at catgirl shiek. dat tail. dat ***. ffuuuu

oh right smash bros.

yeah i gotta agree. if you take a melee player and sit them down with P:M, they're gonna have some issues at first. It's like putting on a new pair of pants vs old faithful jeans.

I've talked to Mango and he's personally told me he loves the game and it's a lot of fun. He thinks it has a ton of potential and that the PMBR has done a good job with it.

Also, he was high and hung over when playing those friendlies, (and they were friendlies, not tournament matches) so it isn't a true representation of Mango's skill level.

@Meta: Mango had played PM a little bit before FC, but not too much.

@KinkLink: Maybe I'll actually get to making the Toon Link ATs video I've had on the backburner. As others have said, you don't need to use your second jump. Just jump, AGT, and up-b. Try to hit the control stick up hard when AGTing to make sure that you are actually getting momentum from your AGT. From what you're describing, you're not even performing the AGT correctly. Toon Link's AGT gives a ton of momentum, and it'll be very noticable when you do it correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom