• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
P:M in Japan is it's one thing since there are really only testers and porters in the BR for it. They do play wifi though. Momosugar, syun, and ject are the only playtesters i see playing that are from japan.

If you guys want I can search on Nico Nico Douga for P:M matches, if you cant do it on your own and post what i cant find.

iLink

Smash Champion
That was an old build of Ike. The spin thing he does after the wall jump was just a follow up to the wall jump he had before, not nair.

leelue

Smash Lord
Guru most likely ran away until he was defeated.
Hm ok
so I'm going to pick up pit, and in the relatively small amount of time it'd take me to get better than you with him I'll make backhanded remarks about you for no good reason. Sound good?

Circle of life

It's one thing to criticize, it's another thing to be both useless and a prick.

Edit: besides, that's what I did with sonic.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
With Falcon you can use it as a minor alternative to baiting out an attack compared to dash dancing. Dash forward and start the moonwalk. You can still obv shield attack jump etc out of it. Could even approach backwards with it if Bair somehow is useful for you in your MU.

iLink

Smash Champion
There's a few instances where I use it with Link or Lucario to get people to try to chase me and then just press A to get a dash attack.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I like to moonwalk up-b to fall off and grab the ledge with link :p.

iLink

Smash Champion
Well that's more for showing off then anything else, since its more practically to just run off lol.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I haven't actually tested it, but does the hitbox stay out when you do that?

iLink

Smash Champion
It does until you snap onto the ledge, I've used it a few times to gimp people that don't expect it.

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
have you ever been good at one? clearly not.

:phone:
I've won over $6000 playing smash, one of the best at JK2 in the world when I played(won over 50 tournaments), highest league in SC2 when I played(but lol koreans), 3k elo in smite, best in my state in DDR when I played(not really relevant but w/e), among other games.

I've also probably been to more smash tournaments than 99.9% of the entire smash community(64/melee/brawl all included) since I've been going to tournaments consistently since 2003.
LMAOOOOOOOO

100% shutdown

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
We all know that you don't really get to play this game very much, if it all with proficient players. You even expressed to me personally that you still can't get TL's bombjump recovery to work, and you can't figure out for the life of yourself how to moonwalk.
Nope, just with Falcon. Everyone else that has a moonwalk is easy, but Falcon just gets too much initial momentum for me to counteract it in time. Hours of lab time (because what else am I going to do, play against this?) hasn't made moonwalking with Falcon any more possible for me, and mashing my weak 11-year-old girl heart out on up-B just can't get to the bomb on time. I'm mostly playing Melee now that I got another working copy though, where bomb jumping doesn't have arbitrary inputs.

iLink

Smash Champion
It's still really weak. It just sometimes interrupts something they were trying to do and don't know how to immediately react to it.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Nope, just with Falcon. Everyone else that has a moonwalk is easy, but Falcon just gets too much initial momentum for me to counteract it in time. Hours of lab time (because what else am I going to do, play against this?) hasn't made moonwalking with Falcon any more possible for me, and mashing my weak 11-year-old girl heart out on up-B just can't get to the bomb on time. I'm mostly playing Melee now that I got another working copy though, where bomb jumping doesn't have arbitrary inputs.
Arbitrary? It's a little frame-tight, but you just need to learn the timing and figure out when you can act out of the bomb throw. No need to attach a pointless adjective to it.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
And while slightly harder to perform, the AGT does give more vertical recovery. Plus the mechanics of the airdodge makes it so you can reliably do it at any point in your recovery while holding a bomb, and not just when you have little/no horizontal movement and aren't fast falling.

The timing is a bit stricter, but the technique in general is a lot more lenient and useful. I think it's an improvement.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I think Peach should have to time when she plucks a turnip so she plucks it properly. Sure it might need a little relearning and might be sort of difficult to adjust to, but it's just something Peaches will have to learn.

The two are pretty analogous to me.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
That's a really poor comparison given that the action of pulling a turnip compared to bomb jumping don't even accomplish the same thing and the example you gave for turnips is actually arbitrary. The Up B after the throw is as arbitrary as knowing when to JC after the hitlag from a successful shine. AGTing allows you to compensate for the Links' increased throwing power with their bombs at the price of a little bit of technical practice.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Huh? how does plucking a turnip on the ground have any similarity to link AGTing up while recovering?

I know the change in timing is different from melee, and takes a slight adjustment, but it is a general buff to recovery. I would think that being "forced" to learn a new timing ( a timing of a AT that is very useful in many other situations other than just recovering. It isn't even that hard to begin with, like it's only slightly more tight than JCing an usmash or a grab) would be worth an extra airdodge distance (often 2) on recoveries.

That comparison would make more sense if you were comparing it to Snake's fake c4 detonate.

The reasons for changing the AT are to make it more reliable and give a greater benefit, I'm really having trouble seeing what you're trying to convey.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
It's more versatile and less situational as a whole. I've made retardedly long distance recoveries with Toon Link simply through numerous bomb jumps that only AGT bomb jumping allows. You lose too much height with consecutive bomb jumps in Melee to practically use them more than once.

And I already stated that the Links have increased throw power to give their bombs more stage control so it's really not for "no real reason".

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
It isn't just a change in timing, it's a requirement to aerial glide toss in order to bomb jump. The timing on the up-B is not the problem as much as the necessity to AGT immediately, and with a soft toss, followed by as fast an up-B as possible, that makes it more difficult for no real reason at all.

For a more 1:1 comparison, it would be like making Fox have to mash B in order to gain up-B length, or else he doesn't go anywhere from using the move. Like yeah, the potential for a longer recovery is there, but the extra input that wasn't there before is just completely unneeded.

Balance by difficulty of execution isn't really balance.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Soft toss? C-sticking the bomb works.

And the Fox example is directly comparable to Mario's vB. You don't have to mash the Up B if you get a handle on the timing.

If you're really having that much trouble, you can still recover fairly well with AGT hopping; that is, left stick up and C-stick wherever while DI-ing towards the stage.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I think his arguement is, "Why is AGT's like L-Canceling, when you have an unnecessary input that you have no reason not to do and have to do every time to do the technique and get the most out of it, while it's the only technique of its kind."

or something to that effect.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Isn't there some Brawl is stupid physics reason why you have to AGT now?

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Again, I think I'll just move away from the Links in PM and stick with their Melee incarnations if this is going to remain like it is. There are 38 and a half other characters to use, and neither Link offers coverage I can't get from other characters I use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom