• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starscream

Smash Ace
What is with people arguing over this aesthetic stuff like sounds and now models? Just make it feel like melee. The sound effects and textures/models make no difference at all. That just makes this project take longer than it needs to.
What's the harm in discussing future wishes for the project? We all know that the team has the game mechanics under control and they won't be working on this stuff until after the mechanics are finished. Or they'll recruit other people to work on aesthetics. I think it's little more interesting than repeatedly hearing "will X mechanic be in project m????????".

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
The entire "discussion" isn't very interesting to begin with. The whole page can be summed up as: Melee's models have enough color and not enough detail, while Brawl's have enough detail and not enough color. Brawl may have screwed over Fox but overall it got everyone else right. Samus and Zelda in particular absolutely trash their Melee looks.

Sounds... yeah, sounds are another story. Some are better, some are worse.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
whether or not the discussion was interesting is your opinion. clearly the ones discussing it found it interesting or else they wouldn't have participated. your opinion is not fact.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Hey, at least they are putting more videos out. That's certainly really nice to have.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Melee's hit sounds are infinitely better. It felt great to hear Falco's Melee shine in the more recent P:M videos. Also, electricity sounds in Brawl bother the hell out of me. They were more subtle in Melee and heavy electric hits had that post-shock sizzle.

And I love Falcon's B-air hit. It's the same as a thrown HR Bat hit which sounds awesome. The Knee uses the hard hit sound and that electric sizzle.

Heck, I'd sooner prioritize replacing Brawl's hit sounds over Brawl's character voices. Less work, no need for frame data (for the most part), and the results are instantly noticeable.
But that's only if someone has the time to do it in the first place.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Yeah, definitely hit sounds > character voices. I can't really tell if it's an updated melee until the sounds come back.

Marth's F-smash tipper had the earthquake sound; THAT was cool.

EDIT:
Character voices, hit sounds, character models, gameplay...
I think it's beginning to strike me that Melee is a better game in every single way.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Ah yeah, just like Fox/Falco's reflector hit sound (with the added sizzle like Falcon's Knee). Also, the sword swipe and hit sounds were miles better. The swipe was more of a "SWOOSH" than a "fwip...".

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
SSB64's sound effects are better than Brawl's. Also, there has been arguments that SSB64's sound effects were better than Melee's (especially the crowd sounds). Plus, I'd hardly make a ridiculous assumption like that. The only reason this project exists is because Brawl's competitive scene is lulz-worthy and this is essentially a vastly improved Melee.

Order doesn't distort evaluation. It's good or it isn't.

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
So i'm not sure if i'm supposed to have this or not but I do (a friend gave it to me) and absolutely love it

I got into smash with brawl and switched to melee after a few months and I think with enough work this could be more fun than melee.

I have thoughts I'd like to share on general game balance \ physics \ some things I see wrong with the gameplay, but not sure if you guys would like to hear them. I'm pretty credible, I used to be on the FL PR for brawl and have taken games from melee PR's in tourney.

Btw, I ****ING LOVE CHARIZARD. I'm making a combo vid atm :D

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
OoT has the "firsts" advantage and there's arguably a good number of people who prefer some of the later 3D Zelda games over it (ie. me).

But I would call that more of an exception since OoT was revolutionary and all that. I still stand by my statement.

@Hai Im Fearless, do you go to UCF too?

OoT has the "firsts" advantage and there's arguably a good number of people who prefer some of the later 3D Zelda games over it (ie. me).

But I would call that more of an exception since OoT was revolutionary and all that. I still stand by my statement.
So, what about Melee makes it immune to 9 years of nostalgia again?

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
So um... is there a way to make the crowd reaction actually make sense? I hate comboing someone then they start chanting their name instead of mine or something like that.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
So, what about Melee makes it immune to 9 years of nostalgia again?
I really don't believe that nostalgia has to do with it; I'd say Melee isn't even old enough to present nostalgia. SSB64 is more likely to do that (as with most N64 era games). There are Melee players that refuse to see the problems in their own game and that are Melee players who know the issues with it. The obsession in competitive playing can do that.

And to get back about what was being discussed, I believe that Brawl's sound effects are much weaker than Melee's. I'd actually go to the extent that they were the worst in the series.

@Sneak
Haha, I had a match with that happening today. My friend and I collided with killing attacks; I got KO'd and he didn't, but the audience felt like cheering for me anyways...

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
I agree. Try doing Ike's Aether/Ice Climber glitch, where he attacks nothing.

For a FINAL SMASH. You hear some gentle wind sounds that remind you of an autumn breeze, then a tap that is quieter than rubbing two fingers when he hits the ground. Hardly worthy of the huge explosion that happens.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
So i'm not sure if i'm supposed to have this or not but I do (a friend gave it to me) and absolutely love it

I got into smash with brawl and switched to melee after a few months and I think with enough work this could be more fun than melee.

I have thoughts I'd like to share on general game balance \ physics \ some things I see wrong with the gameplay, but not sure if you guys would like to hear them. I'm pretty credible, I used to be on the FL PR for brawl and have taken games from melee PR's in tourney.

Btw, I ****ING LOVE CHARIZARD. I'm making a combo vid atm :D
Who gave it to you?

G

genkaku

I always figured it was moral support when the crowd cheered for the loser. It worked that way, anyway.

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
I will not say who gave it to me (their request, apparnetly people take alpha seriously)

I do go to ucf in the fall and spring terms, im going to be at peg landing

ive never heard your name you should post in the ucf brawl thread (we talk about melee there too)

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
Yea Hai Im Fearless, you posting about you having the game and thinking you weren't supposed to might have been one of the stupidest things you could have possibly done. And Charizard vids are off limits until he's finished. Closed alpha is closed for a reason so yea they are serious about it if its given out without permission. Honestly you should have just kept it to yourself. Don't take this as me flaming you or anything, it just wasn't a good idea.

Aceplayer

Smash Journeyman
Umm everyone knows the crowd chanting is the death chant. Whoever they are cheering for will die next 95% effective in FFA's about 75% effective in 1v1.

Seriously the people I play with including me get killed by the chant.

Silly Sneak8288

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I do go to ucf in the fall and spring terms, im going to be at peg landing

ive never heard your name you should post in the ucf brawl thread (we talk about melee there too)
Could you point me out to that thread? I have no idea where to look and I couldn't find anything where I did try.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
We only upload vids of characters who are 90-100% done (which Charizard is not), and have strict quality control. Youtube videos get a lot more exposure from people a lot less involved in the project than streams do, and we don't want to give them the wrong impression.

jalued

Smash Lord
but you upload vids =/

if someone gives me a reason to not upload vids i wont
its about respect. The developers don't want the game being leaked, as they feel that it isnt ready for public release. You should respect that, as they are the people behind the entire project and have all worked very hard for such . You should never have been given the alpha anyway, but since u did, you should have kept quiet and played it in secret.

shanus

Smash Hero
Fearless upload them as private and friend friend projectmelee on youtube and share thrm ftom there. Ee'll fdecide accordingly afterwards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom