• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
DMG, I am under the impression that having so much of the body be grabbable is responsible for all of the "suuuuure" grabs that happen. That is to say, the grabs that clearly should not work but do anyway. Link's tether is like... the worst offender.
Alright, but is there a way to shrink what you can grab, without shrinking what you can hit?

If changing that also means you swing at a guy's feet and get nothing, that's not gonna be good and you're then better off rebalancing the throw attributes instead. That was my point; I dunno whether you can change that for just grabs or not.

Revven

FrankerZ
A loooooooong time ago there was a breakthrough involving grabs and I was faaiirly sure it had something to do with how much of a character could be grabbed. Could be wrong.
No, that was about standing grabs being able to grab behind them ala Melee.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yeeeee

and please don't get rid of that, that's an awesome feature lol makes some dash grabs not look silly if you slightly fly past someone

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
???

How are you supposed to play Wario in P:M, because clearly "my" style isn't going to work loool

He feels janky
You have to make people run into your attacks in order to reliably get anything started as P:M Wario; that's the main difference between P:M Wario and Brawl Wario. The Waft, upgraded tilts, and changes to aerial Bite (outside of a lack of grab armor and worse range) compliment this.

It's still a fair amount of weaving, being great at edgeguarding/juggling, and applying nice pressure once you have the opponent in a bad position, which you make happen with your pokes and Bite. You can't adequately/reliably pressure anyone in the neutral position, though.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
???

How are you supposed to play Wario in P:M, because clearly "my" style isn't going to work loool

He feels janky
Wario feels janky to me as well, but Wario as a character has always seemed like he should be kind of janky. He's basically Mario after a crack cocaine binge in my eyes, so a bizarre moveset that strings together strangely makes sense in a weird sort of way.

Sent from my overpriced soon-to-be-obsolete Apple-stamped laptop using Google Chrome
Fix'd.

:phone:

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Alright, but is there a way to shrink what you can grab, without shrinking what you can hit?

If changing that also means you swing at a guy's feet and get nothing, that's not gonna be good and you're then better off rebalancing the throw attributes instead. That was my point; I dunno whether you can change that for just grabs or not.
Almost every character does not have feet or hand hurtboxes. In melee, you could not grab the lower legs and lower arms.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Fine. If changing the grab/hurt boxes means you can't grab or hit someone in the crotch anymore, I quit.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
That statement does not change the groin rule

cannedbread

Smash Lord
oh wait i just remembered footstools are still in pm
which means puff basically gets a psuedo-meteor
okay i retract my previous statement puff still can be as gay as ever :D

anyway wario is mad **** guys.
his grabs jabs and tilts are mad beast
his edgeguarding isn't too shabby
offstage can be type risky if you ain't gassed up
he has some priy gud shield pressure tooo
dair is maaad safe on shield
and other stuff
because wario is full of suprises

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Footstools only put the opponent in "I was footstooled" animation if they're not already in the middle of another animation, which means that she won't usually get the opportunity to do it.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Probably falls too slowly to get anything out of it on the stage. Offstage, the only thing I can think of would be landing the latest N-Air or maybe a super-low percent U-Air, both of which

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
...would be very difficult to land while offstage.

Not sure how that happened.

Wario isn't very good.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
To play Wario, you have to play him like Lucario. And by that, I mean treat him like a completely new character, DON'T try to relate his P:M playstyle to his Brawl playstyle, and ignore anything that you knew about the character before Project M came out.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
To play Wario, you have to play him like Lucario. And by that, I mean treat him like a completely new character, DON'T try to relate his P:M playstyle to his Brawl playstyle, and ignore anything that you knew about the character before Project M came out.
I disagree. You have to accept the fact that you're not playing a character made to fit Melee 2.0 and find new ways to do the stuff players wanted to do in Brawl (assuming they're not just abusing Brawl physics as their Brawl Wario "playstyle"). You have to weave, you have to poke, you have to push for pressure after each clean hit. You're not allowed to go in like you were in Brawl, but, his game is still tied to his superior air mobility and great pressure once you get the opponent out of neutral position. It was actually a struggle for me initially, because I was expecting to be able to go in and dance around people with shield pressure like he was a natural for Melee, but, he's not that way at all.

Sure, you don't have a brainless recovery, the ability to luck out with airdodge -> high-damage moves, or ridiculous camping potential, but, you have enough to annoy and hurt people a great deal when they make a mistake.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I disagree. You have to accept the fact that you're not playing a character made to fit Melee 2.0 and find new ways to do the stuff players wanted to do in Brawl (assuming they're not just abusing Brawl physics as their Brawl Wario "playstyle"). You have to weave, you have to poke, you have to push for pressure after each clean hit. You're not allowed to go in like you were in Brawl, but, his game is still tied to his superior air mobility and great pressure once you get the opponent out of neutral position. It was actually a struggle for me initially, because I was expecting to be able to go in and dance around people with shield pressure like he was a natural for Melee, but, he's not that way at all.

Sure, you don't have a brainless recovery, the ability to luck out with airdodge -> high-damage moves, or ridiculous camping potential, but, you have enough to annoy and hurt people a great deal when they make a mistake.
Lucario's not even that good of an example. Lucario's relatively the same, more geared towards Melee with less Lag in certain areas and sure you gotta treat the aura system different but no there's not a huge difference. Trela could pick up P:M Lucario and not be at a loss for words on how to play him, probably would have to stop doing B reverse AS tricks but for the most part jabs grabs aerials etc in the same way + combos lol.

Wario, on the other hand (and I'm not bashing the people that changed him), did not get as favorable of a transition. Which is understandable since there are a few ways you could make Wario realllly stupid in P:M, but he's somewhat awkward right now. I LOVE that he's very read based and can be nasty with Waft, platform setups, etc. But his approaching feels really limited (sorta like it was in Brawl) except this time he can't abuse airdodge as a viable mixup for getting close and his range disadvantages kick in more. The compensation he has for a worse recovery (more fair though in all honesty) and a harder time getting in... doesn't feel that great. I don't feel like the offensive side of him meshes that well with Melee in general, partly because he has some moves that would be very hard to balance.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I was playing a friend the other day and he was a D3 main in Brawl and was wondering about the changes. He kept going on about how the moveset still felt like it should be in Brawl but I know there must be some D3 changes.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
vB charges a lot faster and the full charge blasts you forward. That's one off the top of my head.

iLink

Smash Champion
He basically plays like brawl D3 except fast with more focus on range and edgeguarding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom