• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I was making logical estimations based on what practically everyone else has stated. I hardly see the issue.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
The Z axis is the 'depth' axis -- when you side step you see you're character shifting across the Z axis.

Now imagine you are Marth facing someone from the first person perspective. Point your shoulder towards the opponent and extend your arm/sword as far as you can -- this is Melee Marth.

Now, rotate your arm at the shoulder 20 or so degrees to the right (towards the 'screen') and pull your shoulder in a bit -- this is Brawl Marth.

Another component of the missing range is sometimes a tiny, quick warp forwards, believe it or not.

If that still doesn't make sense to anyone I can put up pictures later.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
So... he simply just doesn't stick his arm out as far? That's really strange.

Now, I do believe you explained how his FSmash warps him a bit forward in Melee.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
In a nutshell, yes, he doesn't stick his arm out as far. It's usually a bit more complicated in terms of whether he's not extending his wrist, elbow, shoulder, or rotating his upper body, etc, but that's the basic idea.

Son1cCh3f

Smash Rookie
quick question(idk if its been answered alreadya0

are you guys going right from the u.s. version of melee,or taking stuff out of the PAL version as well

D

Deleted member

maybe end of august if we keep up our work speed.
physics have only been done on 3/22 melee chars tho. :/ Id say we would be hesitant to release a public beta without all of the melee characters being 100% meleefied, though.
You're matching all Melee characters to their physics?

I'd thought previously you were experimenting with values to find appropriate and prime physics for bad characters like Yoshi. Yoshi's physics appear to work very nicely with floatiness and DJC takes care of fastfalling. Same could apply to Ness I suppose.

jalued

Smash Lord
You're matching all Melee characters to their physics?

I'd thought previously you were experimenting with values to find appropriate and prime physics for bad characters like Yoshi. Yoshi's physics appear to work very nicely with floatiness and DJC takes care of fastfalling. Same could apply to Ness I suppose.
its more about recreating the melee "feel". Ness and Yoshi both just suffered from DJC problems. Thats now fixed so they should do fine

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I was making logical estimations based on what practically everyone else has stated. I hardly see the issue.
it's fine man, don't worry about it.

drpepper:
1. awesome name
2. ya we're matching melee physics, but for bad chars we'll likely be tuning up the physics so they aren't bad. yoshi and ness, for example.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
what's gonna determine if a character's physics are gonna be 100% meeleefied?....I understand and completely agree with making changes to help out lower tier characters but, for example Link, he was never really a high tier character but, i would love for him keep his Melee physics.

i was thinking we should replicate all physics for veterans first, and then find other ways of enhancing low tier character's overall gameplay. ( hitboxes, priority, windup, endlag etc.)

D

Deleted member

what's gonna determine if a character's physics are gonna be 100% meeleefied?....I understand and completely agree with making changes to help out lower tier characters but, for example Link, he was never really a high tier character but, i would love for him keep his Melee physics.

i was thinking we should replicate all physics for veterans first, and then find other ways of enhancing low tier character's overall gameplay. ( hitboxes, priority, windup, endlag etc.)
Function vs popularity I guess... unless improved function creates popularity

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Well, it definitely sounds like high and top tier Melee veterans are going to stay relatively the same.
As for other characters, my guess is that some who already had effective physics and movesets but were simply lacking other components will have those filled in.

I'll take your Link notion as an example. I can't imagine him changing much at all besides giving support in areas that put him where he was on the tier list (not necessarily the same as covering weaknesses).

Revven

FrankerZ
what's gonna determine if a character's physics are gonna be 100% meeleefied?
They obviously don't have Melee sitting on their computer + debug menu code and/or a GCN sitting next to them with the debug menu code on to reference how fast they fall... [/sarcasm]

kaizo13

Smash Champion
letme re-phrase that for you smk

what's gonna determine which character's physics are gonna be 100% meeleefied?

there ya go ^^;

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
falco400: his question was if, not how.
some chars, such as link, have good physics in Melee. the only problem Link has is that he has all of the tools necessary to be a competitively viable character, yet very few ways to make use of those tools quick enough. so we'll likely be speeding up his attacks to some extent. don't quote me on this; this is just what I plan to do.

just don't worry about it guyz... we'll make sure everything's all good and stuff.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
SB described sort of what I was talking about but in better terms. I can't imagine any dynamic changes occurring unless the character simply needs major move changes like Kirby receiving his useful 64 Nair and Pikachu getting his 64 Nair and Bair.

EDIT: Post Numbah Eight Hundred

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
heh will we have the melee ganon back, speed and all? lol homerun contest ganon ftw!

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
some chars, such as link, have good physics in Melee. the only problem Link has is that he has all of the tools necessary to be a competitively viable character, yet very few ways to make use of those tools quick enough. so we'll likely be speeding up his attacks to some extent. don't quote me on this; this is just what I plan to do.

just don't worry about it guyz... we'll make sure everything's all good and stuff.
please tell me he'll keep his increased range and better jab(brawl jab but with the melee poke)

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
ok lolz. will peach get her shield bouncing vegetables that aren't affected by stale move?

I R MarF

Smash Ace

Yeah, speeding up his attacks would make a good idea.

And its sad how many ATs Link has yet he can't seem to reach a good tier placement. Plus, I think I remember Shanus saying that wall grappling in almost impossible right now which will make his already bad recovery worse.

Also, here is a suggestion, is it possible for link to have a shorter bomb fuse when he throws it up while in the air? Because I was thinking that maybe he could pull a bomb, throw it up, and almost immediately directional air dodge into it, catch it, blow himself up and thus find himself with a boost to aid his recovery... and it could be called... bomb climbing. lol.

Idk what would need to be done to make that possible in addition to a very short aerial bomb uthrow fuse and perhaps an iasa... but it would make an interesting AT if there is going to be an absence of wall grappling.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I think shanus or SHeLL said something about Link now having a much more effective bomb jump. IIRC, it was something about the fragility of the bombs that were significantly increased (or was a theory to use behind improving bomb jumping).

Rikana

Smash Champion
I believe they explode when they come in contact with anything except when lightly dropped on ground. It also bounces on shields. That's what I remembered last at least.

jalued

Smash Lord
cough*

2 questions:

is smash DI mapped to the c-stick?

if so, would it be possible to smashDI -> tech Diddy's recovery if it hits against the stage instead of the silly "watch while you die" animation? It would be a slight buff, however require skill, timing and would still be moderately easy to edgeguard. Just feel it would add more depth to his recovery, which is a good thing.

Ulevo

Smash Master
maybe end of august if we keep up our work speed.
physics have only been done on 3/22 melee chars tho. :/ Id say we would be hesitant to release a public beta without all of the melee characters being 100% meleefied, though.
Remember when Brawl was to be extended one more time, and we all complained?

Remember the result? Yeah.

Take your time guys. You have lives too. As much as we don't want to wait, I'm sure most of us are willing to, knowing the reward for being patient.

humble

Smash Ace
cough*

2 questions:

is smash DI mapped to the c-stick?

if so, would it be possible to smashDI -> tech Diddy's recovery if it hits against the stage instead of the silly "watch while you die" animation? It would be a slight buff, however require skill, timing and would still be moderately easy to edgeguard. Just feel it would add more depth to his recovery, which is a good thing.
1. Yes
2. Then Diddy could infitely stall on all stages. Fly into it, SDI and tech, fly into it...

.Marik

is a social misfit
im assuming you somehow messed it up somehow. I haven't updated the main codeset since friday afternoon, and you can see how JCz played it for like 6 hours last night.
I'm positive I downloaded the codeset correctly, since I had a developer tell me firsthand what to do.

On another note, now that I think about it, I'm fairly certain the Brawl disc we were using was scratched up.

WarioWare and Wi-Fi Waiting Room also worked, but not anything else.

Still, Project M is now my favourite game. So much fun.

When I set it up, Melee players were interested, played it, and gave positive feedback.

Good stuff guys. This game has so much potential.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
Yeah, speeding up his attacks would make a good idea.

And its sad how many ATs Link has yet he can't seem to reach a good tier placement. Plus, I think I remember Shanus saying that wall grappling in almost impossible right now which will make his already bad recovery worse.

Also, here is a suggestion, is it possible for link to have a shorter bomb fuse when he throws it up while in the air? Because I was thinking that maybe he could pull a bomb, throw it up, and almost immediately directional air dodge into it, catch it, blow himself up and thus find himself with a boost to aid his recovery... and it could be called... bomb climbing. lol.

Idk what would need to be done to make that possible in addition to a very short aerial bomb uthrow fuse and perhaps an iasa... but it would make an interesting AT if there is going to be an absence of wall grappling.
a shorter bomb fuse would be detrimental =/ link uses a lot of bombs obviously and if it has a shorter fuse then that means you can't hold one for as long and mix up when you throw it.
if it were shortened it would hurt his projectile game to help his recovery which is meh.

if he gets his long hookshot back that'll help a bit
<_<
>_>
PLEASE GIVE IT BACK TO HIM

inb4thatwon'thelpcuzhe'lljustgetedgehogged

IDC

kaizo13

Smash Champion
that's where we will really see the skills, knowledge and creativity of the devs. behind Project M....it's not really a hard task since they are basically creating it and can decide when it's right (if i was in the P:M team this would be the fun part for me)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
[06:58pm] <jiang> http://i.imgur.com/8ewK6.jpg
[06:58pm] <jiang> ok thats it
[06:58pm] <jiang> charmander for project m

I'm positive I downloaded the codeset correctly, since I had a developer tell me firsthand what to do.
correction: kirbykaze downloaded it correctly... lol.
but yeah i'll help KK so next time y'all play all the stages will be functional. the scratched up disc might have been a problem...

I R MarF

Smash Ace
a shorter bomb fuse would be detrimental =/ link uses a lot of bombs obviously and if it has a shorter fuse then that means you can't hold one for as long and mix up when you throw it.
if it were shortened it would hurt his projectile game to help his recovery which is meh.

if he gets his long hookshot back that'll help a bit
<_<
>_>
PLEASE GIVE IT BACK TO HIM

inb4thatwon'thelpcuzhe'lljustgetedgehogged

IDC
I said a he should have a shorter bomb fuse when he throws it up while in the air.

Not when he is on the ground obviously.

Also, the reach won't help him too much endless the P:M team implements wall grappling... or they give Link a really good ledge magnetism which would be a bit over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom