• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Is it just me, or does Link's bomb jump work at complete random? I do the exact same timing and hit the bomb in the same place, but 75% of the time it just doesn't explode and goes flying, I can't even bother to rely on it anymore

Has anyone found a use for his walking shield yet?

And I forgot if I mentioned it but his upsmash hitboxes are way messed up
1) It's not random. UpB can stale though, which may cause you problems.

2) It's not as useful as it should be, because we're not able to edit the blocking box on it. (AFAIK)

3) It's known and will be fixed.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
If you use Link's up-B offensively, it likely won't work for bomb jumping due to damage staling.

Ninja'd

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Are you guys planning to change that, or are people going to have to choose between using it offensively or using it for recovery?

Either way sounds pretty cool, in my opinion.

Ecks

Smash Lord
Has bomb jumping always been like that in PM? It never happened to me in demo1.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
You missed his original post, which said something about the PMBR recently changing the release date from the 17th to the 16th. It was very vague and confusing, hence why standardtoaster posted what he did.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Well that explains why I can't bomb jump 80% of the time with toonlink...
Toon Link doesn't have that problem.

I wish I was recording last weekend, there was a hilarious match where I was off stage with Toon Link, and had to bomb jump like six times to make it back to the stage. My opponent got frustrated, tried to hop off stage to intercept me, I pulled back away from the stage, avoided him, and he SD'd.

Mindgames.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
WGS, after watching your videos, I got an idea about how to play Lucas. I like him a lot more now.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
Holy heck, grounded pk freeze goes so much further than I thought... so used to short-hopping it that I don't think I've actually used it grounded yet.

KingBlaze777

Smash Apprentice
No no, we need more Ness players. HE has untapped potential, so much potential that I actually considered making HIM my main and Tink my secondary. PK Fire -> PK Fire -> D-Throw -> Fair (or Bair depending on what you want) ***** so much! Dash attack can be followed by most aerials and USmash. Both DJC mechanics turn Pokemon Stadium 2 into Ness Stadium. If his PSI Magnet had Falco shine properties (sends enemies upwards and can be JC'd) he'd be God tier!!

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
Toon Link doesn't have that problem.

I wish I was recording last weekend, there was a hilarious match where I was off stage with Toon Link, and had to bomb jump like six times to make it back to the stage. My opponent got frustrated, tried to hop off stage to intercept me, I pulled back away from the stage, avoided him, and he SD'd.

Mindgames.
Shadic, I'm proud :cool:

Shadic, if you've got time, I'd like to see if you could give my brother some insight on Toonie. Though he rolls me pretty good, he's still fairly new to the character.

(Also, if anyone else wants to tell us how bad we are, feel free to also do so.)

Vs Lucas 1
Vs Lucas 2
Vs Pit 1
Vs Pit 2
Not too bad actually :awesome:

No no, we need more Ness players. HE has untapped potential, so much potential that I actually considered making HIM my main and Tink my secondary. PK Fire -> PK Fire -> D-Throw -> Fair (or Bair depending on what you want) ***** so much! Dash attack can be followed by most aerials and USmash. Both DJC mechanics turn Pokemon Stadium 2 into Ness Stadium. If his PSI Magnet had Falco shine properties (sends enemies upwards and can be JC'd) he'd be God tier!!
Keep dreaming about God Tier :troll:

PEEF!

Smash Hero
About that approach crap earlier:

Getting rested towards your opponent is the best approach, followed closely by Sonic's run.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
WGS, I'll give some insight on your brother's Tink since Shadic is probably gonna be too busy with work or pm stuff, and he mains Link anyways (yuck :p).
Mind you I'm probably not even as good as your brother is and I'm not anywhere near close to mastering the character, but I do main him and I can give some points on how he can improve regardless.

First of all, I'd like to say even though your brother is new to the character, he's a pretty darn good example of how a real toonlink should be played. Great combos, edgeguarding and spacing all around! Keep it up! :)

But of course we can all improve; (some of the things I suggest I also need to work on as well! :D)
So here's some things that I would suggest he works on:

-Aerial Glide Tossing/ Bomb-Jumping
Man, I haven't gotten this down pat yet either. I can do it in training mode, but when it comes to an actual match I always forget about it! Anyways, either your brother doesn't know how to do it, or he's doing it incorrectly. You're supposed to airdodge AND throw the bomb almost simultaneously. What I do is I airdodge upwards, and while my control-stick is still in the "up" position, I press A and throw the bomb almost immediately after the airdodge imput and you should get a nice small boost upwards while throwing up your bomb, in which you can proceed to up-b into it. The timing is something that takes some practice though. It seemed like he was c-sticking the bomb upwards and then up-b'ing, which unfortunately doesn't seem to work :p

-Bombs Away!
I noticed that your brother doesn't make use of his bombs as often as he does the aarow. While the aarow and boomerang are amazing tools, the bomb is also great! When he has space and time to do so, he should always short-hop bomb-pull to remain mobile on the stage while having a bomb on-hand ready to go as they are the projectile you have the most control over and when successfully hit, gives you a window for a free aerial or another projectile. Think about peach with her turnips- when she gets the time and space to do it, she'll pull out a turnip, so the same kinda thing applies to tink, except he can bomb-pull more often and much easier since he can do it in midair.
I'm not saying don't use your other projectiles as much- just advising that he should make more use out of bombs as a tool. I find I almost always get a free up-b when I smash up-throw a bomb into an enemy falling above me :p

-Usmash
-is a really darn good move. It combos at low percents and kills at high percents. I noticed your brother goes for alot of u-tilts after d-throws but he should also consider that usmash is actually another very viable option out of d-throw (or even in general!) as it does a ton of damage and can even potentially Link into an up-b. Just make more use of it! It's probably his best smash attack, as you can use it in more situations than your other two smashes. For example, it's a good move to follow up a projectile. You can throw a bomb/rang/aarow (I usually go with the bomb) and get in a free running usmash that at a lower percent could Link into a bair/bomb/fair or up-b. It's a really effective move and I highly recommend making more use out of it!

-Hookshot
Now, I'm not sure about this one as I've yet to incorporate it into my playstyle myself, but zair seems like a pretty good spacing tool. It has very little lag on landing and has a crap ton of range. It's like a weaker nair with more range. I usually forget about it, but I could see it being a pretty useful tool for spacing an enemy, keeping them at bay while you spam stuff at them :p

And that's pretty much all I got. Overall, your brother is really quite good with tink and he should keep it up! More tink players means more potential for him to place in future tournaments, afterall! I hope I don't sound condescending as you/your brother reads this. I'm just another fellow tink main who wants to help out and improve the tink metagame overall, even though I'm just another sub-par player :p

oh yeah, and d-throw -> up-b *****. he probably knows this already though. :D

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Thanks for the feedback, guys. There aren't too many PM players around us, so we don't get too much outside commentary on what we need to work on beyond the group of five/six we play with.

I'll be sure to pass these notes along.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Post your vids on smashmods in the character's video thread if it has one or make one and post it if it doesn't. That'd be the main way to get feedback, besides posting a few matches here.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Lol btw, it's too bad you were playing lucas and pit against TL, cuz those are arguably some of TL's better MUs. Seems like anything kinda floaty without much in the way of approach options/ pressure gets demolished by the tink. :p

That being said, spacies still rip him apart.. :/ (as far as I know/seen)

Master WGS

Smash Lord
I'll wait 'til tomorrow night/Thursday. We usually play with people Wednesday nights, and right now the only Toon Link vids I have are SAC beating the hell out of my Pit/Lucas some more. Might as well wait for some different matchups before I try to justify a thread.

Though, I guess if OTHER people are posting Tink vids...

`dazrin

Smash Champion
I could possibly have some vids of my tink soon. I don't own a recording setup, but some of the smashers in BC do. Although I'm planning to grab myself a dazzle real soon :D

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
About that approach crap earlier:

Getting rested towards your opponent is the best approach, followed closely by Sonic's run.
Ah, your arrogance is probably a result of your relative experience with P:M. But if this simplicity is what drives you, and allows you to be confident, I won't take that away from you.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
Has bomb jumping always been like that in PM? It never happened to me in demo1.
Same here, I could bomb jump all day in Demo 1 because the bomb actually exploded, now it just flies away

Damage staling only. Brawl added KB staling.
So it's supposed to be like this? But in Melee you could bomb jump multiple times before you died, now in Demo 2 you can only do it once because the moves stales after 1 use

jalued

Smash Lord
I agree that ness is great fun (I've decided to main him as well) but this is the best thing about Project M... you will find countless posts about how "x character is the best" because any character is now potentially viable, as long as players enjoy him/her and are willing to play them :D

Bring on the variety!

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Ness is really good and I have played him mostly recently, but I can tell you that PK Fire>PK Fire should never work, but PK Fire > Dthrow is really good, like 40 damage.

I really need to utilize brawl ATs like RAR like I used to back in my brawl days:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA8nzfjQbrM

4 year throwback =D

Ecks

Smash Lord
Ness M is just too good. If only I could play people. Curse you broken controller, laggy TV and bad internet connection!:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom