• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I would dump on your marth on wario ware. that stage is stupid and marth sucks there.
Just out of curiosity, do you say that Marth sucks there because the second and third-tiered platforms would disrupt UTilt juggles? I've been focusing on Ike, so I haven't used him even though he's my Melee main.

Also, earlier you said that you saw some Ike videos that showed how, with some work, Ike can cover his weaknesses (bad air-to-ground game?). Would you mind telling me what videos you were watching?

D

Deleted member

Just out of curiosity, do you say that Marth sucks there because the second and third-tiered platforms would disrupt UTilt juggles? I've been focusing on Ike, so I haven't used him even though he's my Melee main.

Also, earlier you said that you saw some Ike videos that showed how, with some work, Ike can cover his weaknesses (bad air-to-ground game?). Would you mind telling me what videos you were watching?
marth sucks on warioware because he has to move to apply pressure via dashdancing, juggles, threatening positioning, etc. on warioware you can just sit on the side. marth has no moves that stay out so his opponent can sidestep a lot in and out of shield and fair/grab/dtilt don't really apply pressure to make your opponent really do anything. from there you can just exploit the lag on things, especially fairs. marth's fair is so easy to abuse if you know when it's threatening vs when it's just a "safe move" that gets thrown out blind. it's all positioning basically, but ya you can just camp him pretty much.

just the new eli videos of ike show the char do retreating dairs where it hits in front of him, which means basically if you don't space your dashgrabs, ike can still hit you when you go in to grab his landing lag. he's still open from anything ranged and ike will have to waveland or counter or air dodge or up B or neutral B for those, but at least it's something? it's definitely not as good as something like falcon's dair though (which is also pretty bad honestly). for the most part it's still pretty ****ty though.

i played JC's rob on warioware with marth a few times and the difference solely because of the stage was so obvious. to be fair, i think rob is as good there as marth is bad there to highlight the difference, but yeah marth sucks on wario ware. go to a stage where your opponent can't sit under a super low platform and block all day. marth isn't good enough in PM to overcome that ****.

The_Guide

Smash Journeyman
Hey, PMBR! One of the things that's been bothering me about this game is how the c-stick functions. Namely, that you have to return it to a neutral position after each attack in order to input a new one. Now, I'm not asking the ability to buffer attacks by holding it down (like you can with shields), but it would be nice not to have to let go of the stick each time I want to attack twice with it.

Any chance of this happening?

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I would dump on your marth on wario ware. that stage is stupid and marth sucks there.
marth sucks on warioware because he has to move to apply pressure via dashdancing, juggles, threatening positioning, etc. on warioware you can just sit on the side. marth has no moves that stay out so his opponent can sidestep a lot in and out of shield and fair/grab/dtilt don't really apply pressure to make your opponent really do anything. from there you can just exploit the lag on things, especially fairs. marth's fair is so easy to abuse if you know when it's threatening vs when it's just a "safe move" that gets thrown out blind. it's all positioning basically, but ya you can just camp him pretty much.
Why don't you just not approach then? Whoever you are playing against sounds like a campy ******* though. Still...should you get a serious lead you don't really have to go over there to anyone. Just M2K it and play like a ***.

D

Deleted member

Why don't you just not approach then? Whoever you are playing against sounds like a campy ******* though. Still...should you get a serious lead you don't really have to go over there to anyone. Just M2K it and play like a ***.
the problem with that is that most players can do it. trust me, no one plays this game gayer than I do.

edit: marth is a very aggressive character and should be played that way to get the best results from him.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
the problem with that is that most players can do it. trust me, no one plays this game gayer than I do.

edit: marth is a very aggressive character and should be played that way to get the best results from him.
I wouldn't say he's very aggressive against 15% of the cast of melee...I think the issue now is having to play passive with Marth against 85% of the cast now. Aside from that...same old marth. Just have to get use to looking at characters like Link, Mario, Pikachu as legit threats and not easy victories. One thing I am not use to is getting out ranged...it's so weird but I'm learning. The only positive to that is you can get some STUPID long range grabs. They make the Cactuar grab look reasonable.

D

Deleted member

I don't think marth's range is that good in PM. not as a comparison, but as a utility.

i think marth should be played very aggressively in melee too and that marth players are doing it wrong in that game.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I don't think marth's range is that good in PM. not as a comparison, but as a utility.

i think marth should be played very aggressively in melee too and that marth players are doing it wrong in that game.
Show me how to do it right then because honestly...I'm not seeing it. I mean you can play aggressive in Melee as long as you are better than the person you are playing against and have a better character then they do. You will get destroyed against any of the top 30-50 players on the planet if you play aggressive against them.(Including other Marths).

`dazrin

Smash Champion
don't you have to include .pac files for zelda/sheik textures?

Also I'd very much appreciate it if someone could direct me to a guide on how to set up Riivo and then add melee SFX. I'm already booting via USBloader, monk told me on a stream chat to use wiiscruber or something.. iono

Vigilante

Smash Lord
don't you have to include .pac files for zelda/sheik textures?

Also I'd very much appreciate it if someone could direct me to a guide on how to set up Riivo and then add melee SFX. I'm already booting via USBloader, monk told me on a stream chat to use wiiscruber or something.. iono
Unless they changed my XML, you just need to use my XML from the demo after installing Riivolution and put the BSRAR in I believe... sounds (But not strm)

For USB loader, Monk or toast could help you better, but Wii scrubber lets you open the iso partitions. You can then replace files. For example, you'd find bsrar in partition 0 and just right click, replace and select your bsrar.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
Ike's recovery is stupid. The way he can fling his sword soo far into the stage looks dumb and makes it almost impossible to edgeguard.

may i suggest you make it so the up-b hitboxes aren't in effect until Ike is actually holding the sword in his hand at the peak of aether. That would make aether not seem so abuseable/easy recovery, yet it would still be a rather safe recovery if you recover low/sweetspot. please consider

also, may we possibly see fixed reverse ledge grab ranges in the patch? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8BiuJVRWZ4&feature=g-u-u#t=3m12s

Edit: good work Karu. interesting magnet tricks

kaizo13

Smash Champion
I saw that vid when it came out...pretty bad examples. Nobody uses aether like that.

1. he was recovering from way below the stage every time, sword never even went past stage level.

2. he wasn't holding towards the stage. in none of those examples did his aether go through the stage and hit the player edguarding. Ike players usually hug the side of the stage and use up-b from higher up so that the sword knocks their opponent away and they make it back safely.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
To anyone interested in t3h streams:

I will be back in the USA in a couple days, and I have set up a smashfest for the 20th of May (Sunday) with my crew featuring Reneblade. We will be playing Melee in the beginning, and then transitioning into Project:M later in the night.

This will be my first smash stream in 5 months. You were all with me then, and it would mean a ton if yall showed up to hang out again, especially on my return stream!

Post in the PEEFSMASH stream thread here --->> http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=322550 <<--- Your support/hype will help make it great. May 20th. Should be a good time.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I saw that vid when it came out...pretty bad examples. Nobody uses aether like that.

1. he was recovering from way below the stage every time, sword never even went past stage level.

2. he wasn't holding towards the stage. in none of those examples did his aether go through the stage and hit the player edguarding. Ike players usually hug the side of the stage and use up-b from higher up so that the sword knocks their opponent away and they make it back safely.
In my defense, the video was actually in response to someone who claimed it was impossible to hit Ike out of the apex of Aether. It was hastily made and I'm willing to make a video with more realistic situations once my friends and I get the time to do so.

I'm confused by what you mean by your first point; if he was recovering from below the stage, how could not sword not go past stage level?

With regards to your second point, edgeguarding Ike becomes very character-dependent if he recovers like that. If your character has very high-priority aerials (Bowser, Ganondorf, Charizard's BAir, etc), you can bait the early Aether and drift back during your double-jump before hitting them with said aerial. If not, then it's extremely difficult to hit Ike out of Aether (personally I feel like it's a little too difficult). The alternative is to grab the edge as the sword comes up and force Ike to either land on the stage or get edgehogged, which can be difficult depending on your position.

But yeah, if anyone has any comments on the Hitting Aether video, please voice them; I got very little feedback with regards to the video, so I want to know if it was helpful or not.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
In my defense, the video was actually in response to someone who claimed it was impossible to hit Ike out of the apex of Aether.
oh, don't get me wrong. I never said it was a bad video, I was just saying it was a bad counter argument for what I was trying to explain.
I'm confused by what you mean by your first point; if he was recovering from below the stage, how could not sword not go past stage level?
basically, you were doing bad placed aethers everytime, making it possible for Ike to be easily poked. if you were sweetspotting, many of those attacks wouldn't have landed. And on the other hand, if you up-b from higher up you can clear your landing zone by hitting your opponent with aether which now sends them pretty high up even at low%'s because Magus decided to make it so aether could fully connect. (don't think he needs that at all)
and if your opponent so happens to block Aether shield knockback pushes them back a bit and you can then pull back onto the ledge.

all in all, i'm not saying his recovery is impossible to edgeguard, but simply a little to safe for it too fit along Melee-esque edge play. I personally don't think Ike has as bad of a recovery as people seem to think, his side-b charges rather quickly so he can recover from a rather long distance (horizontally) in a short amount of time. Add in the QD walljumps and a pretty safe up-b. He is such a good character atm that I feel he doesn't need Aether in it's current state.

D

Deleted member

ike's recovery is one of the few things i like about him not. not broken, but pretty good. you can play with and around it pretty fairly. idk i think it can stay as is.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
People stopped saying Lucas sucks as soon as demo 2 replaced demo 1. He's really good now (better than Ness IMO). And he's WAY more interesting to watch than most characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom