• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Aww really? They just had Brawl on the stream before I left. Guess they were scared since I was wrecking everyone in P:M all night on the other TVs (yeah GIMR, you heard me :p namesearch plz. MM me on the livestream next week).

Funny enough, a couple guys I had never met before also brought P:M (and one of them, KenJT, was pretty good, and said he'd be coming there on Tuesdays now that he knows there's P:M love). It's spreading! There were only like 5 people there for Brawl, and over 10 for P:M/Melee.

:phone:
Name search complete. I'm gonna F you up

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
Then what do you recommend? I've heard Dazzle and Gamebridge are good.

And it's the latest version of Premiere on relatively new iMacs. I've used it before and it handles decently.
Get a Dazzle, it's not the greatest capture card out there but the quality is definitely acceptable considering how cheap they are. I used one myself before I moved on to a hauppage hd pvr.

DuckPimp

Smash Ace
I have some concerns regarding Charizard, as he is primarily focused on being a "vertical combo character". I feel that, after playing him for some time, that he lacks a few certain aspects that keep him from really being a balanced character. As it is, his fly->upb combo is fairly effective on light characters, but on heavier characters it is basically impossible to kill them vertically. My suggestion is to make his up-b a bit more powerful so his vertical combos can actually kill most characters at kill %'s, rather than relying on racking up a bit of damage with vertical combos, and trying to land a horizontal knockback move (he lacks decent options for doing so) and edgeguarding.

Another suggestion is to maybe take a look at forward air. I have found that sometimes, even without DI, fair cant be followed up at reasonable percents. I dont think im able to suggest anything really that hasnt been thought of, but I would like to ask why the change was made from his sweeping-upwards fair that he had a long time ago.

Other balancing things I would like to bring up for him dont really even lie with Charizard himself. Through playtesting a little with my Kaffei, we found that Charizard is fairly easily destroyed by Peach. The reasons are that he is so easily comboed from float canceled aerials, and that he lacks a decent OOS option to even try and escape Peach shield pressure. Charizard himself can only combo Peach at specific percents, and in terms of his vertical kills (the most effective way to kill peach, as her horizontal recovery is godlike), she can float away or be out of hitstun well before Charizard can either take to the air again or follow up. Most times, he cannot even press the advantage. I am not sure what can be done to combat this, as I dont advocate changing Peach much, as that would go against the main purpose of PM. I also am not trying to advocate "LOL Charizurd is my fav char, make him teh best" either.

I realize he is probably not going to be S or A tier, but i fell as-is, he is underpowered and lacking some key qualities that would allow him to compete with certain characters. We tested with more than just Peach, but she was probably the most notable example.

That being said, I love the idea of Project M, and from what I have seen so far, it is a pretty fantastic piece of work, especially for a demo. I am really looking forward to when it will be complete, and for now I will do what I can to help making it nice and balanced.

(The next character I will attempt to playtest will either be DDD or Sonic)

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Uh, I disagree.

TRUE STORY, BTW:
K so, me and a couple of melee players in BC (one of which was noobking, #9 on BC PR) were playing projectM friendlies and having fun, and a random brawl player walked by and noticed the similar, yet different feel of the game we were playing. He inquired what it was, and I naturally told him it was Project:M, a mod to emulate melee's physics. He was interested in the game; enough to sit down and play a few matches of singles friendlies with us, even while knowing the skill level of the players he was facing. He picked up charizard and instantly fell in love with the character, and after messing around for a minute to discover his new moveset, he moved forward into combat with the melee players.
Longstoryshort, he ended up destroying both melee players' CF and Falco (the characters they mained in melee) easily, and afterwards walked away saying that project:M is fun, but he was going to resume playing brawl as he had a tournament to practice for, like it was no big deal.

TLDR: random scrub destroyed two very notable melee players from my region with charizard, without prior knowledge of charizard's capabilities.

charizardisgood

Apexed

Smash Rookie
The more I play Marth the more I start to think he's been nerfed , while ike is smashing people out left and right :[

Apexed

Smash Rookie
If you look at the rest of the cast they made every character way better, I know that this game isn't melee so I can't expect the same Marth but I think that every character took a big step forward but Marth

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
well isnt marth pretty exact to melee? also, knocking people off the stage doesn't quite determine character quality, its keeping them offstage alot of the time

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Uh, I disagree.

TRUE STORY, BTW:
K so, me and a couple of melee players in BC (one of which was noobking, #9 on BC PR) were playing projectM friendlies and having fun, and a random brawl player walked by and noticed the similar, yet different feel of the game we were playing. He inquired what it was, and I naturally told him it was Project:M, a mod to emulate melee's physics. He was interested in the game; enough to sit down and play a few matches of singles friendlies with us, even while knowing the skill level of the players he was facing. He picked up charizard and instantly fell in love with the character, and after messing around for a minute to discover his new moveset, he moved forward into combat with the melee players.
Longstoryshort, he ended up destroying both melee players' CF and Falco (the characters they mained in melee) easily, and afterwards walked away saying that project:M is fun, but he was going to resume playing brawl as he had a tournament to practice for, like it was no big deal.

TLDR: random scrub destroyed two very notable melee players from my region with charizard, without prior knowledge of charizard's capabilities.

charizardisgood
That's it, I'm maining Charizard for sure.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
If you look at the rest of the cast they made every character way better, I know that this game isn't melee so I can't expect the same Marth but I think that every character took a big step forward but Marth
ummm...maybe because Marth was and still is a very good character....you're probably not using him to his full potential to think he needs buffs. He is melee Marth. nuff said

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
we are definitely keeping a close eye on the metagame development of characters, so if you feel like your character is feeling underpowered or too good, just sweat it out for a bit. games evolve a lot, and we want to minimize the usage of quickfix patches to try to influence the game's metagame. characters that seem horrible/too good now could end up on the other side of the spectrum. we really do appreciate the concern though, please keep posting feedback, we are always reading it.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
like I used to think Charizard was lacking a little something until i got destroyed by him. His tech chase game is crazy....and he does not need any more help killing off the top. Who ever suggested giving up-b more KB, scratch that

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
Uh, I disagree.

TRUE STORY, BTW:

charizardisgood
Had they played against Charizard before? My explanation without any further knowledge is just that the melee players didn't know how to cope with Charizard and the brawl player was able to figure out Charizard quicker than the melee players.

Apexed

Smash Rookie
well isnt marth pretty exact to melee? also, knocking people off the stage doesn't quite determine character quality, its keeping them offstage alot of the time
Marth's tip got way smaller and his overall knock back compared to other characters is horrible, and all I was saying was that overall the cast got better but it feels to me Marth took a step back. I guess the best example I can give you besides the tip is his Up tilt it isn't exactly Melee. it's hard to discuss this since I have some people saying "It's Melee Marth" When it isn't really and I have other people saying "This isn't Melee so don't expect the same thing"

Spoon~

Smash Ace
Marth's tip got way smaller and his overall knock back compared to other characters is horrible, and all I was saying was that overall the cast got better but it feels to me Marth took a step back. I guess the best example I can give you besides the tip is his Up tilt it isn't exactly Melee. it's hard to discuss this since I have some people saying "It's Melee Marth" When it isn't really and I have other people saying "This isn't Melee so don't expect the same thing"
If things are ported over, then its exact. no johns.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
I'm very sure that almost all of his hitboxes should be completely accurate. We had halo go over every single aerial and grounded move to make sure the range was exactly the same as melee.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
To actually glean some information out of this:
If you could provide exact examples showing any of Marth's moves that are different, that would be appreciated. Meaning: Videos, and/or pictures.

Saying "it's not Melee" isn't very helpful when we've had people go over the character very carefully to make sure that he was, in fact, Melee.

Kati

Smash Lord
I realize that Charizard's new side-special used to be his fair, but shouldn't G&W be able to absorb it into his bucket now?

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Nobody else has ever experienced your particular issue or even reported it. We can't seem to replicate it either. I'd recommend defragging your SD Card and if that doesn't work, reformatting it. And if that doesn't work, try a different SD Card all together.
Oh dear god no, never defrag an sd card, just cut and paste everything onto your desktop, then cut and paste back into the sd card...its way faster and doesnt kill the card

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Oh dear god no, never defrag an sd card, just cut and paste everything onto your desktop, then cut and paste back into the sd card...its way faster and doesnt kill the card
Just curiosity since I haven't had trouble with SD cards, but what happens if you defrag them?

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Marth is fine. Trust me I was one who had some of the most concern for him but he's actually better than I anticipated. I don't think he's got a chance of returning to top tier but he can hold a decent place at high tier because he's still a ***. The shields being the way they are make him pretty good though.

As for the tippers. I don't think it's the move itself that is bad so much as it is the brawl animations. The animations were so goddamn confusing for me at first but I made the adjustments needed after awhile. Marth is basically himself but the animations make him seem much more different then he actually is. The 2 things that do seem different are his Side-B(buffed) and his Up-B has significantly more hang-time.

GigaBowserXyZ

Smash Journeyman
Apologies if this question's been asked to death but, can I get this to work with a flash drive? The SD card I have now can't hold all the Project M files.

GigaBowserXyZ

Smash Journeyman
Apparently the SD card is over 400 mb but for some reason I can't fit it all in. I've tried clearing the SD card but there must be something inside the SD card that's taking up space.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Wouldn't it be more comparable to rusting? It sounds like it's causing the card to deteriorate, not torching it.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
So why didn't you guys change Ganon's Utilt? It seems really stupid for a character to have two identical useless moves. In my opinion, Ganon's Utilt should be a completely different move that's just as useless. At the very least, make it look cooler so it can be used as a taunt.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Did you even read what I wrote? I never said anything about the replacement being good, just different. I even stated it should be useless.

As a Ganon main in Melee, I feel like the changes that have been made are exactly what he needs. Except for his ledge attacks being swapped around, I'd prefer it if they were how they were in Melee. Anyway, I think Ganon doesn't need to be any better than he already is, it would just be cool for him to have a different Utilt. Like how Falcon can taunt while using his knee.

OmegaMuffin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OmegaMuffin498
I just realized Link's clawshot sounds like a dying walrus. Also, Dedede is a gimping machine haha.

Captain Falcon is cool too.

Did you even read what I wrote? I never said anything about the replacement being good, just different. I even stated it should be useless.

As a Ganon main in Melee, I feel like the changes that have been made are exactly what he needs. Except for his ledge attacks being swapped around, I'd prefer it if they were how they were in Melee. Anyway, I think Ganon doesn't need to be any better than he already is, it would just be cool for him to have a different Utilt. Like how Falcon can taunt while using his knee.
Why would they change a useless move...
To make another useless move?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom