• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
on the contrary if you have your timing down your inputs will be made with predictions instead of reaction. predicting is somthing that needs training too and online is good with that.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Some character I saw on stream that I haven't seen in a little while. Perhaps do to missing streams lately but it looked good. I wonder if Ness, Lucas will be in there. And wolf, and lucario, and Pit!....rob I don't really care about.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
When the demo comes out (or now, if you already know), will there be an explanation of all the gameplay differences between the wifi version and the regular one? We already know about light shoulder presses, but it sounds like there are more things than just that.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Man. I wish I was recording last night. I had an amazing 0-to-death on ZSS with Ike.

And it was against my friend who actually can play Melee, unlike the one I've streamed with before. (I'm gonna try and get the good player over at some point soon)

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
This is incredibly wrong. Doing well online means you'll get your *** handed to you when your wi-fi safe moves get punished hard offline.
let me re-phrase that then. If you can play technicaly online then you can play technicaly offline too. Muscle memory is all you need for either but online needs more predictions. im not saying online is better than offline and im not saying that anything you can do offline you can do online but wifi does have its uses.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
You... do realize... that... playing Melee involves... a lot of precise muscle memory... right? If you mostly play in a laggy-*** environment, then you're going to suck offline -- and there's nothing wrong with getting out and socializing while practicing Smash.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
The point is that is you input a technically demanding thing online the same way you would offline you would still do it correctly, there would just be a delay first.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
although wifi tends to have slower gameplay and there is a bit of buffer by default

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
And a single frame dropped even as often as every 1000 frames is a major difference between the two environments. Not even going into the fact that tech skill is the least important factor when determining if you're good at a game.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Muscle memory is all you need for either but online needs more predictions
I was mostly replying to this, as it seemed to be his grounded perception of Wifail. "Predictions" isn't anywhere close an accurate summary of how bad button input lag is. Inputting an action and not getting a response until (much) later than expected will throw even the most level-headed and solid players far off of their game. I don't see what's stopping anyone from practicing tech skill in Training Mode offline; wifi isn't really the best place for improving on mindgames, getting out of bad habits, picking up better habits, and strengthening one's psyche in general, due to the aforementioned problem. If you can find a great connection, then, by all means, go for it, but otherwise, playing Project:M on wifi is a pretty bad option. Playing vBrawl on wifi is fine, imho

iLink

Smash Champion
As much as I trash on wifi, I have to say I respect the fact that its there because it helped me get over my plateau. Learned to actually watch my opponent more then myself and watch for habits and work on predictions. Even if I played someone with lag abuse attacks and such, I was able to take that knowledge offline and apply it.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Wifi is doodoo. I'd rather play CPUs. Actually tbh I'd rather play something else than play smash by myself or online.

Not even going into the fact that tech skill is the least important factor when determining if you're good at a game.
Aw I'm flattered <3

CSDragon

Smash Journeyman
You... do realize... that... playing Melee involves... a lot of precise muscle memory... right? If you mostly play in a laggy-*** environment, then you're going to suck offline -- and there's nothing wrong with getting out and socializing while practicing Smash.
Pro Street Fighter and UMVC3 players say otherwise. They say playing online is like high-altitude training and that when they play offline they feel like they've taken the weights off.

Of course the average ping on those games is like half that of Nintendo's Wifi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom