• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
As an Ike main in all forms of Brawl, I personally don't agree with that change. I know you've been playing Ike extensively and I haven't played him in P:M before, but I feel that with his effective range and increased speed, Ike should be able to avoid that situation reasonably well. Retreating shffl'd FAir/NAir -> jabs look like they they shut out a lot of approaches (it was great for Melee Ganon, and his FAir wasn't as long as Ike's; assuming that his Brawl frame data wasn't changed, Ike's L-canceled FAir should only have 9 frames of lag and his L-canceled NAir should have 7 frames of lag [which is the same as Marth's FAir and Falco's NAir], both followed by a 3-frame jab) and BAir OOS, while it requires Ike to have his back to them and it looks like his short-hop makes it hit slightly higher than in Brawl, still seems like a relatively fast and dangerous option. QD also allows for stupendous control of spacing; unless Ike's fighting a character like Falco, he should be able to retreat with QD and cancel it with a wavedash if you feel threatened (eg. Jiggs/Marth walling with aerials or Falcon dash-dance camping) in order to avoid getting stuck in his shield. I think that, given his tool-set (that I haven't used before), Ike should be bad with pressure because of his spacing options. It seems improper to me if you have a character that has slightly more range than Marth, hits harder than Marth, and has good options on shield pressure.
Most of such does function well on paper and against certain characters that objectively have not so good range. Just kinda differently otherwise.

Rikana

Smash Champion
I don't think Ike needs an oos option. Its already hard to approach Ike unless you have projectiles and that's only if the projectiles can't be beaten by a single fair, which is very few. Retreating fair is a really good tactic to keep the opponent out. I would say leave Ike as is; every character should have a weakness. I would have no problem saying he is at least high tier at this very moment. He is really solid.

:phone:

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
I don't think Ike needs an oos option. Its already hard to approach Ike unless you have projectiles and that's only if the projectiles can't be beaten by a single fair, which is very few. Retreating fair is a really good tactic to keep the opponent out. I would say leave Ike as is; every character should have a weakness. I would have no problem saying he is at least high tier at this very moment. He is really solid.

:phone:
Yeah, maybe I should just stop being a scrub and stop begging for buffs. As far as I'm concerned, Ike's complete anyway.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
I was wodering is the PMBR opposed to making high and low side tilts different on fighters like lucario?
I had an idea for a single tatsu kick on lucario's side A up tilt.

He can keep the side a tilt he has now too. this way he can aim his tilt and just look more flashy with cancels.

shanus

Smash Hero
in practice it became way too complicated too quickly, we had originally tried it

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
What the **** did you just say drsruerruessure fish
i assume "drsruerruessure fish" = drsusredfish. and if you talking about the comand input i suggested "xx" means to cancel. meter:xx = meter cancel ect.
the input "side a uptilt xx down b meter:xx side a up tilt" would link two tilt attacks together.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
i assume "drsruerruessure fish" = drsusredfish. and if you talking about the comand input i suggested "xx" means to cancel. meter:xx = meter cancel ect.
the input "side a uptilt xx down b meter:xx side a up tilt" would link two tilt attacks together.
"xx" representing a cancel is pretty standard stuff, but I've never seen "meter:xx".

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
dont you mean 6a 8a xx 2b xx 6a 8a?

or are you talking about an angled up ftilt, which would be 9a?

making the notation 9a xx 2b xx 9a

And yeah, you dont need a special notation for cancels that require meter, anyone who knows the character would understand that any xx following a 2b would need meter.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
dont you mean 6a 8a xx 2b xx 6a 8a?

or are you talking about an angled up ftilt, which would be 9a?

And yeah, you dont need a special notation for cancels that require meter, anyone who knows the character would understand that any xx following a 2b would need meter.
well its not like there is an exact way to denote move strings for lucarios fighting style. I like the number pad way of doing it though. How would you denote smash? fsmash = 66a, 88a = up smash, 22a=down smash. i think i'll use this for now on for him.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I didn't know you were notating abc in that method. If so, B should be tilts and S should be special lol
you could notate it like that.

makes more sense to keep tilts on a tho lol. tilts and smashes are the only normals on the ground, so there's no reason to make tilts b, since the only a would be jab rofl.

i said b are specials since special = b button.

but S for specials

and b for smashes

and a for tilts/jab/aerials works better than everything else.

foshio

Smash Journeyman
Looks at current conversation... -______- ....
So... about olimar. I feel he is lame and believe he should be deleted from the cast and mewtwo should be placed over him. This idea has most likely be met by resistence but... why... olimar is so... not cool, campy and funny looking. Honestly who wouldnt love a viable mewtwo... it would be amazing

Rikana

Smash Champion
We should just delete the entire cast and leave Pokemon Trainer with no pokemons.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
You don't have to charge to get a smash though. You just do the inputs at the same time. 6a would be a tilt since they don't have to be pressed the exact same time compared to 6+a.
True.

I hate number notation period though but there's not much else you could do with smash besides u/b/d/f system.

Guy who said remove Oli: Eat a ****. Olimar is the ****.

foshio

Smash Journeyman
True.

I hate number notation period though but there's not much else you could do with smash besides u/b/d/f system.

Guy who said remove Oli: Eat a ****. Olimar is the ****.
Explain how oli would possibly fit in a melee environment without being eight times lamer than jiggly puff... or just explain how he's possibly interesting.... like he's unique... in a bad way. I'm not set in stone about my opinion of olimar, if there is a coherent argument for olimar being an interesting and melee type character i'd be more than willing (in fact happy) to hear it...

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
Explain how oli would possibly fit in a melee environment without being eight times lamer than jiggly puff... or just explain how he's possibly interesting.... like he's unique... in a bad way. I'm not set in stone about my opinion of olimar, if there is a coherent argument for olimar being an interesting and melee type character i'd be more than willing (in fact happy) to hear it...

jiggly, yoshi, pichu, luigi are some melee fighters that could be considered "not cool" but they are still in the game and can do some preety cool stuff in the right hands. Olimar will be no different in PM. Brawl has poisoned your mind a bit.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Argument: This is Project M, and they can make him work even if he was the way you described in Brawl.

foshio

Smash Journeyman
Argument: This is Project M, and they can make him work even if he was the way you described in Brawl.
... Okay... so it wouldn't be better to get rid of a character very few people like for one that many many love...
Also the not cool characters list... Jiggs and pichu are no popular (jiggs becuase she has a boring play style and pichu because he's just awful). Jigg's play style is really boring, the only reason it is in the melee environment is because it was in melee. There is no way Project M would make a character like that. the other two... yoshi not cool? He's so popular and has a really interesting play style.... Luigi doesnt have a lame play style either so...

Rikana

Smash Champion
So what you're trying to say is we should remove characters based on your opinion of who is dumb. Got it.

foshio

Smash Journeyman
So what you're trying to say is we should remove characters based on your opinion of who is dumb. Got it.
I would say replace instead of remove. yes. I was suggesting my opinion which i beleive would be popular with most smash bros fans.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Lamer than Puff?

IIRC Puff has huge *** limbs of priority with amazing horizontal movement while Oli has ****ty priority besides yellow pikmin and pretty mediocre movement. And his recovery sucks.

He ain't lamer than Jiggs son. Come on yo.

foshio

Smash Journeyman
You imply we can just replace characters like that lol
The number one olimar hack on brawl vault is cloud strife over olimar... So I'm pretty sure it is possible.

Also I would love to hear the ideas that have been thrown around about olimar... to make his play style more... exciting.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
... Okay... so it wouldn't be better to get rid of a character very few people like for one that many many love...
Also the not cool characters list... Jiggs and pichu are no popular (jiggs becuase she has a boring play style and pichu because he's just awful). Jigg's play style is really boring, the only reason it is in the melee environment is because it was in melee. There is no way Project M would make a character like that. the other two... yoshi not cool? He's so popular and has a really interesting play style.... Luigi doesnt have a lame play style either so...
being unpopular or poplar doesn't make the character a good or bad fighter. take jigs, "lame and boring" but among the top tiers. Yoshi, popular in ur eyes, low tier. Now tiers aren't the final say but you can't ignore them. Olimar doesn't have to be flashy or exciting to be good. The pikmin are interesting enough to warrent his existence. Im not a big oli fan either but i do see how he can change matchups.

foshio

Smash Journeyman
being unpopular or poplar doesn't make the character a good or bad fighter. take jigs, "lame and boring" but among the top tiers. Yoshi, popular in ur eyes, low tier. Now tiers aren't the final say but you can't ignore them.
I'm sorry i dont understand your point... My point was about interesting play styles... they can be improved and made viable so that is what is done. Olimar needs a complete revamp to be meleefied. That, along with him having little fan support among many smash fans (honestly come on) makes him the perfect candidate to be replaced by a very popular character with alot of potential. Now I know people are probably thinking I'm a troll... but i was just suggesting it... I think most of us smashers would like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom