• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wave-Guiding Hero

Smash Apprentice
Lcanceling isn't difficult at all in the pm demo if that's what you're practicing on.
Of course it isn't difficult if you're already good at doing it (and don't suck) :p

I can do it right most of the time with some moves (practicing with Marth), but moving around and actually fighting while using it makes it exponentially harder for me.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Watching PEEF's Pit vs Kirby stream. Autoglide looks like fun so I was wondering a few things: can it be done on the ground, how fast can you start another one, and how much control do you have over your initial direction? You glided horizontal on recovery a lot. Also what's the deal with up-B being an explosion with the height of like, Brawl Peach's d-jump? And does he still have Mirror?
It can be done from ground but it is slower and not at as good of a height.
You can start another one as soon as you can start anything else from the ground idk.
Upb is now a jump attack thing.
Mirror reflects alot of projectiles but isn't like Brawl.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Protip: Calculate how many frames will pass before you hit the ground. Once you get the hang of it, L-canceling becomes significantly easier... then again, I purposely make simple things a lot more complicated for myself than they need to be.

Of course it isn't difficult if you're already good at doing it (and don't suck) :p

I can do it right most of the time with some moves (practicing with Marth), but moving around and actually fighting while using it makes it exponentially harder for me.
Pay closer attention to the character you're using, then. It's really not that difficult at all if you commit yourself to practicing it. L-canceling after hitstun is what you should be working on :urg:
:drifloon:

Rikana

Smash Champion
You're better off working on Lcanceling on Melee. But too bad there's no successful Lcancel cues.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
The way I practice Lcanceling is great way to start.

I go into training and shadow box.

You pretty much shffl all your aerials while moving across the stage.

Example would be to shffl nair, fair, dair, uair, bair across fd, back and forth, in random order.

Without the stress of trying to actually hit in battle, and repeating finger movements over and over help turn shffls into muscle memory.

And since you are moving around, you also get used to doing shffls while moving.

After a period of time, your progress will show.

:phone:

Rikana

Smash Champion
Shffl even when you eat breakfast.

1. Hold on to toast
2. Shffl
3. ????
4. Now shffl in game.

But seriously, reason why I suggested to do it in Melee is because its more difficult but more accurate to what the current Lcancel is like in the private builds. The timing in the demo throws off a lot of things.

metroid1117

Smash Master
The way I practice Lcanceling is great way to start.

I go into training and shadow box.

You pretty much shffl all your aerials while moving across the stage.

Example would be to shffl nair, fair, dair, uair, bair across fd, back and forth, in random order.

Without the stress of trying to actually hit in battle, and repeating finger movements over and over help turn shffls into muscle memory.

And since you are moving around, you also get used to doing shffls while moving.

After a period of time, your progress will show.

I just want to add that this is a great way to practice empty shffl's. However, you must take into account that hitlag and shield stun slightly prolong the amount of time you're in the air for and are also different from each other. When practicing L-cancels, you also have to practice hitting an opponent and (somehow, but not always possible) hitting someone's shield.

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
As an initial brawl player, all I did was grind it out on all my main's aerials.

Soon enough, it became natural.

I find it much easier to L-cancel with Z as opposed to L or R. I also find it easier to wavedash with Z as well, hence why I change my controls around. I'd suggest messing with the control layout.

Ecks

Smash Lord
Man L cancelling and shffl were
so damn hard for me. I practiced on training mode and against level
9 CPUs. Actually doing shffls felt like some sorcery to me.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
I found l-canceling way easier to learn then other aspects of melee, with l-canceling i just went with the mind set that no matterwhat, when you hit the ground hit L. No matter the case nothing bad happens, your doing a aerial you l-cancel, your tumleing you tech, and if your simply falling nothing happens. So thats all i had to think when i learned how.

jalued

Smash Lord
I found l-canceling way easier to learn then other aspects of melee, with l-canceling i just went with the mind set that no matterwhat, when you hit the ground hit L. No matter the case nothing bad happens, your doing a aerial you l-cancel, your tumleing you tech, and if your simply falling nothing happens. So thats all i had to think when i learned how.
and if you are hitting a character or shield, press L/R/z slightly later

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I know people are all pissed about some changes and stuff but I would recommend this to anyone who plays Smash Bros period. Yes, it's got all the mechanics and stuff of Melee but just like Melee if 4 people have no idea what a wave-whatever is and play a FFA on Temple, they're still gonna have a ball and they'll still be able to enjoy the new stuff, like Sonic's new animations and all the custom potential.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I just want to add that this is a great way to practice empty shffl's. However, you must take into account that hitlag and shield stun slightly prolong the amount of time you're in the air for and are also different from each other. When practicing L-cancels, you also have to practice hitting an opponent and (somehow, but not always possible) hitting someone's shield.
I figured that would come naturally.

Then again, it only came naturally for me by playing ganon and learning to delay when dairing shields. Lol

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I know people are all pissed about some changes and stuff but I would recommend this to anyone who plays Smash Bros period. Yes, it's got all the mechanics and stuff of Melee but just like Melee if 4 people have no idea what a wave-whatever is and play a FFA on Temple, they're still gonna have a ball and they'll still be able to enjoy the new stuff, like Sonic's new animations and all the custom potential.
^

10quotes

Rikana

Smash Champion
Or you could use training mode and slow down the frames. Just watch your character as it Lcancels to understand when to hit L.

Rikana

Smash Champion
You're pretty much insane.

But we also added the white flash for you guys to know that you did it successfully.

Edit: Didn't realize I responded so late.. lol

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Guys Backroom should just put in ALR like Brawl+ :troll:

but in all seriousness, even though I wouldn't be opposed to that, It would turn off a lot of melee players big time.

Ecks

Smash Lord
Haha, I remember some people complained about the flash a while back. Just goes to show people really will complain about everything.

Ecks

Smash Lord
Yeah, but some wanted it out entirely.

Personally, I think the flash makes the game look more professional and it was a really good idea.
Whoever came up with that needs a cookie.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
The flash really is a great idea.

-Gives visual cues to show how fast-paced the match is going at high levels of play
-Helps newer players learn how to L-cancel
-Does not detract from higher leveled players in any way, shape, or form, while still achieving the above effect, therefore making it perfect

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
IIRC it was a combined effort. I coded the original graphical flash, then somewhere along the way it got converted to an actual flash effect, which I liked much better.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Guys Backroom should just put in ALR like Brawl+ :troll:

but in all seriousness, even though I wouldn't be opposed to that, It would turn off a lot of melee players big time.
I'm not opposed to having L-cancel as a sort of tech-barrier to get into the game, but I do have one question: is there any reason ever to -not- Lcancel?

If no, even though it's a barrier to overcome / was in 64/melee, why have it?

(wants to be shut down quickly to avoid dragging thread into a hole)

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Because it feels rewarding to do?

I know in 64 some moves had an extra hitbox if you didn't Z-Cancel them (a side effect of 64 skipping the end-lag entirely, where Melee just halves the lag).

It's quite simple.

Pressure can cause a player to **** up.

Mistakes are something that can be punished, ESPECIALLY mistakes in execution.

Also the idea is for P:M and Melee to be easily transferable between, minus the addition of numerous Brawl techs. That means remove nothing, possibly change things based on Brawl, such as the Meteor Cancel window.

My thoughts anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom