• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
Does Mew2King still play Brawl?

If he quit, maybe he'd be interested in testing out P:M.

He'd probably be the best playtester... ever. :awesome:
IIRC he did test P:M a long time ago when P:M was starting to get developed last year. Y'all should have him play it now

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
Didn't Mew2King ragequit after playing with MetaKnight in Project:M? For some reason I remember hearing at one time he hated it. On a different note, would MLG even accept a mod as an event?

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
the thing is that with higher skill videos more people would get interested in this product. And who knows it may get mainstream for competitive tournaments. Same happend to Counter Strike which is a hacked version of Half Life. But that game was accesible to everyone. BTW if u dont know what COUNTER STRIKE is i suggest you search for it on wiki. They made the game official and a couple of sequels were made

Watching the same people playing squirtle, wario, olimar, ike , lucario and rob is hurting chances of PM getting serious.

When I first played the demo people were hyped. Many bugs were found and it hurt PM scene (if u can call it a scene) a lot of this problems has been fixed but people are left with an older version thats shadows a greater product thats been kept from the community. For whatever reasons which I respect. But its been a while and all we are getting are vids of people that really dont have what it takes to showcase a great product.

Cero

Smash Lord
i doubt it, alot of melee pro's arnt the best communicators...
Mew2King seems a little introverted in person.

But I'm sure he could communicate more fluently online.

He knows just as much frame things as Magus and his analytical skills are top class. I think he'd be able to give lots of good feedback on characters. Also, I read that he also aspires to be a video game developer, so...

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
the thing is that with higher skill videos more people would get interested in this product. And who knows it may get mainstream for competitive tournaments. Same happend to Counter Strike which is a hacked version of Half Life. But that game was accesible to everyone. BTW if u dont know what COUNTER STRIKE is i suggest you search for it on wiki. They made the game official and a couple of sequels were made
I know about Counterstrike - Team Fortress is another great example of this phenomena - but this is PC development, which is much more hacker friendly than console development. I know that Nintendo doesn't care enough to sue us, but I'll eat my glasses before Nintendo admits fans did a better job making a game than they did.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
So I take it that Diddy can't be spoken about as well? And M2K said that P:M MK felt really weird and that he didn't want to mess up his vBrawl MK.
I feel that people seem to not like semi-safe moves that go across a decent portion of the stage. Just because Smash has ALWAYS made moving attacks ****ty, doesn't mean having them good means their overpowered.

You people need to understand balance is not what Sakurai proclaims it is, but what is a good design decision competitively. What competitive value is there in Dash attacks and specials that act as moving attacks if we just make them ALL ***? Nothing.
Shouldn't that knowledge come to any person with pride and a fair amount of experience in smash, anyway? I don't see why "'X' is broken, fix it" comments are taken seriously, especially when there's no suggestion(s) to make said 'problem' any better. I mean, if a single person has a problem with an aspect, idea, etc. that no one else has a problem with, then they should at least show that it's something important enough to net the attention of those who can fix it.

"Decrease the size of the hitbox so that it's harder to hit with", "decrease its duration so it can't tech chase Jesus himself", or "Make it more punishable", for example, would've been great suggestions to complement the amount of concern that user was expressing towards Shoulder Bash. TBH, any comment that attempts to push a crowd towards the idea that something is overpowered or underwhelming should not only have evidence behind it, but also methods of fixing it.

But, erm, yeah, until the P:M team comes up with a move that overshadows Fox's Shine, there shouldn't be any move or character being considered OP. The underwhelming and (to be) revamped characters should be getting more attention right now... like MK .-.
Watching the same people playing squirtle, wario, olimar, ike , lucario and rob is hurting chances of PM getting serious.
You DO realize that it's a lot more difficult to get usable feedback on a particular character if one playtester uses the entire cast... right? Once those characters are finished, then we'll get to see some more variety, but it's really just a matter of being patient for now.
When I first played the demo people were hyped. Many bugs were found and it hurt PM scene (if u can call it a scene) a lot of this problems has been fixed but people are left with an older version thats shadows a greater product thats been kept from the community. For whatever reasons which I respect. But its been a while and all we are getting are vids of people that really dont have what it takes to showcase a great product.
P:M will get all of that hype back when the next build comes out. Seriously, just find something better to do before that time comes. P:M isn't all THAT important, especially once you take the current coding restrictions and well known bugs in mind. It's not as if the entire smash scene is going to abandon this project, that's why we have reliable streamers and multiple playtesters to watch.

Cero

Smash Lord
And M2K said that P:M MK felt really weird and that he didn't want to mess up his vBrawl MK.
MK is banned in Brawl now.

Mew2King playtested P:M like a year ago. The current build supposedly feels drastically different and closer to Melee than the version M2K played.

Also, if he has a problem with how a character feels, then that's where the feedback comes into play.

Stevo

Smash Champion
a good autocancel example is DK up-air. It just wouldnt be as awesome if you had to wait for the animation to be complete. Lots of melee players just abuse autocancel naturally before we even heard of autocancel, myself included, so we often just assume it means something it doesnt.

:phone:

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
So I take it that Diddy can't be spoken about as well? And M2K said that P:M MK felt really weird and that he didn't want to mess up his vBrawl MK.

P:M will get all of that hype back when the next build comes out. Seriously, just find something better to do before that time comes. P:M isn't all THAT important, .
hahaha have u cheq my post per days i barely visit the boards. I cheq once like monthly, but u dont have to be a genious or visit every hour to notice the problems i mentioned before.

what u said about wario side b sounds a reasonable statement just like mine. Lets just watch what happens in the end with wario side B. The way it can be used in the air for recovery and gimping seems to easy and OP. no moving attack of melee can compare to this.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
hahaha have u cheq my post per days i barely visit the boards. I cheq once like monthly, but u dont have to be a genious or visit every hour to notice the problems i mentioned before.
I said nothing about ones post count and activity on SWF relating to their experience with this game. In order to form a reliable, and for that matter good, opinion on the viability of move -- be it overpowered or in need of improvement -- one has to at least have valuable experience in the competitive metagame. I've met people who hardly post on these boards whose opinion on P:M would be just as, if not more usable than my own or yours.

Stop being stupid.

what u said about wario side b sounds a reasonable statement just like mine.
Your statement regarding Shoulder Bash was basically, "This move is overpowered from what I can see. I haven't used or played against Wario: M, but trust me: his side B is broken in the hands of someone much better than me". You literally didn't post a single thing on what exactly was wrong with it and more importantly, a way of fixing it; i.e, your posts geared towards telling us that Wario's side B is overpowered were vague and lacked a real point to them.
Lets just watch what happens in the end with wario side B.
How about we not because it's not even close to being broken? There's no one in the PMBR right now who thinks that Shoulder Bash is broken, otherwise it would've been addressed and fixed already.
The way it can be used in the air for recovery and gimping seems to easy and OP. no moving attack of melee can compare to this.
Last week, I picked up Falco and within a few of hours worth of practice, waveshining is second nature to me now. Waveshining is easy to me, is a 'moving' attack, has multiple good traits about and doubtlessly viable applications with it, most of which are very well known. Are you telling me that Falco's waveshine is OP as well?

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Aerial side-b hitbox is smaller than his body, slightly eclipsed by his own hurtbox. When shielded it has 40-70 frames of vulnerability depending on height off the ground.

Grounded side-b has better priority, and 'only' 40ish frames of lag when shielded, but the DMG / KB starts low and has to build by traveling farther.

If you try to throw this move out casually against someone familiar with Wario you will not be very happy with how you do.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Well I read what everyone said about blocking the attack and punish. Its seems like a solution. I did not know since the game is not out. However I think that if done in the air it should have landing lag. Like all foward B moves for recovery, like fox's, falco's, Ike's, Ganon, capt, etc.

If not then its just to easy to recover with wario.
No, it's actually not at all. Recovery is arguably Wario's weakest point. The side-B doesn't give a huge amount of distance like certain other side-Bs that you mentioned, plus it goes into specialfall if you don't hit anything. His up-B is still relatively short compared to many, and his down-B is situational if you don't have it charged. There's a reason that most vBrawl Warios use the bike to recover, because he can't do much without it. That's P:M Wario.

*has played P:M exactly once*

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
ooooo just had a good idea what if while you taunt you can hold down as if and you're crouching and you can crouch cancel but your're still in your taunt animation. would be a great mind game or troll.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
For all of the "spreading P:M" talk:

I just took Project M to Gameclucks (WA's biggest regular event, I believe) and had a good chunk of the venue at least watch a few matches, with most of them getting to actually play. I think every single person enjoyed their time with it, and I know it generated a lot of excitement. The biggest thing holding P:M back from being played more is the fact that the demo is decrepit and we haven't put out a better build yet.

A bunch of players kept getting sidetracked by my singular P:M setup instead of playing their bracket matches. :awesome:

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
Sooo...is it safe to assume that the new build will be released before or on Feb. 7th next year?

Cero

Smash Lord
You mean quit Smash, in general?

I'm pretty sure he's said that many times over the years. I remember he posted in my thread (the 4 stocked thread) saying that he was gonna quit. Iirc, that was like a year ago. Lol.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Not Smash, just Brawl (and still play Melee). But then again, he also said that he was gonna still actively seek out MK-legal tournaments. I'm not sure which statement he said more recently.

Anyway, someone should ask him to play this again. IIRC the last time he played was before the Melee character physics got ported.

ValTroX

Smash Ace
Not Smash, just Brawl (and still play Melee). But then again, he also said that he was gonna still actively seek out MK-legal tournaments. I'm not sure which statement he said more recently.

Anyway, someone should ask him to play this again. IIRC the last time he played was before the Melee character physics got ported.
I think the melee physics were ported already, but he played before the demo release, soooo a VERY outdated version.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
I think a dev said a few weeks back that m2K tried a recent tournament build and liked it... though he played Jiggz becuse he didn't want to mess up his mains.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Mew2King made the original frame data reference website, using all of his own research. It was the standard for years until things became more well documented.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
While true, what you just said does not directly refute what I did.

humble

Smash Ace
While true, what you just said does not directly refute what I did.
Strong Bad, master of the frames. He is right though, all Strong Bad said was that his frame knowledge is superior to M2K's. Hotdogturtle may be right, in that M2K may have good frame data knowledge, it's just Strong Bad's is better. Because he is master of the frames, lord of smash data.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Lol, Metaknight ban.

This is why we want to make a strong yet balanced Metaknight (that is underway). Now that this ban happened, we can provide a means for people to play this character in a Smash game, XD.

jalued

Smash Lord
I'm wondering if there has been any work done on converting the codes to PAL for the patch release?

For Yoshi escaping shield pressure (if it ends up too much of a problem for him to not be able to jump OOS), would it be possible to allow him to cancel his roll with his side B (at around 3/4 of the animation) or even to be able to run out of his roll at certain frames.

This would mean that he keeps his unique shield, but is better able to escape pressure. Him being in shield would still be a problem, but it would give him slightly more options than in melee and imo would balance his shield against the rest of the cast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom