• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Depends on the scene, I think. And who is repping it.

Toaster Bros have less clout with tournament players, so they're not going to be as influence as somebody such as Fly. Or even players like JCaesar, Strong Bad, Peef, etc.

Not to mention we haven't even released anything other than the uber old demo. :p

Vigilante

Smash Lord
That sucks so P:M isn't picking up at all? =/
I think the main problem stems from most poeple not having a decent version of the game to practice with so they don't want to screw up their Melee game for the Melee tournament and aren't quite Project M-ready. So they practice in Melee before their big matches. Honestly though, we do hope that after we release a much more up to date demo, poeple will be able to put in the practice they need and hype will rise once again.

I think hype will come back after soon. We have been working really hard to get you something worthwhile for all of the wait we put you all through.

And by the way Kage, are you only free on weekends? I don,t have them free every week, but once I get my new stream setup, I think we should meet again. I'm sure you'll love the newer features.

Wavebuster

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, I think it's more because of Ryoko's playstyle with Samus; good Melee Samus users like Duck (there's a recent match of him vs SFAT from the Big House, I HIGHLY recommend watching it for any Samus players) are constantly wavedashing and using pushing her mobility to its limits, whereas I didn't see Ryoko do it that often.
To be frank, there is little point in wavedashing just for the sake of wavedashing.

metroid1117

Smash Master
To be frank, there is little point in wavedashing just for the sake of wavedashing.
Yeah, but wavedashing to move is a much better option for dashing than Samus because her dash isn't as fast and you can do tilts out of it. I was just surprised that Ryoko didn't really use it much, not even for simple things like wavedash backwards -> DSmash or wavedash forward -> FTilt.

he looked the worst... his marth was clunky. Confused...
The Good Doctor is a Melee Sheik main, he does well in tourneys here at the Midwest (although judging by the Big House results, that's not saying much at a national level). I can't say for sure since he usually plays a lot of characters anyway, but he could've been thrown off by the subtle changes between Melee and PM.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
After my acquisition of component splitters, cables, my trip to play the legion, gaz, and stream setups, I have officially invested more than 1000$ on Project M. Most expensive game ever. :p

Ecks

Smash Lord
You guys are forgetting how packed this thread was when the demo was coming out. Still it doesn't have to be popular since day one. I don't think people should be worrying yet.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
JCaesar I'm sorry but could you do something about the sound on your videos? like only record the game? My ears hurt and i have to mute sound everytime i watch ur vids, no offence
Yeah... my mic sucks, I'm aware.

I have this Mic that can record sound from like 20 feet away.

If I can find it, I'll mail it to JCz or something :3

:phone:
Bring it to a fest :D

After my acquisition of component splitters, cables, my trip to play the legion, gaz, and stream setups, I have officially invested more than 1000$ on Project M. Most expensive game ever. :p
Hmm, I've probably spent several thousand dollars on Smash. I would count my Gamecube and Wii towards that because Smash was the deciding factor when I decided to buy them. I bought all 3 Smash games. I bought S-video cables for both my cube and my Wii. I've gone through at least a dozen Gamecube controllers since I started playing competitively (late 03). I've entered probably 50+ tournaments, typically 5-10 dollar entry, and more 1-5 dollar money matches than I can count. I've taken probably a dozen roadtrips to large tourneys in neighboring states and I flew to Genesis 2.

So yeah, it starts to add up when you think about it. At least I've made several hundred back, mostly in Brawl+/Project M. But ultimately, I'm paying for the experience, not really for the chance to make money.

The people I play with are pretty Hyped up for Apex 2012 PM
It won't be at Apex in any official capacity unfortunately.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I think the main problem stems from most poeple not having a decent version of the game to practice with so they don't want to screw up their Melee game for the Melee tournament and aren't quite Project M-ready. So they practice in Melee before their big matches. Honestly though, we do hope that after we release a much more up to date demo, poeple will be able to put in the practice they need and hype will rise once again.

I think hype will come back after soon. We have been working really hard to get you something worthwhile for all of the wait we put you all through.

And by the way Kage, are you only free on weekends? I don,t have them free every week, but once I get my new stream setup, I think we should meet again. I'm sure you'll love the newer features.
It would be kinda weird for both games to co-exist in one tournament. I think running P:M only tournament might be better. I mean too many times there's not many people that would play P:M as they are playing Brawl or Melee for some reason during the same day of the tournament. Kinda odd.. but.. I guess they don't want to play other games to screw their "mental" game or simply their timing up. Hmm..

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
If I'm remembering right, tournaments that have tournaments separated by date seem to have the best luck for Project M. Like, in a Brawl/Melee tournament, if Melee is day 1 and Brawl is day 2, people are willing to spend friendlies time checking out Project M. But if pools and bracket stretch the entire tournament time, they're going to stick to getting as much Melee practice as possible.

Which is perfectly understandable behavior, really.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
You could be right. I also imagine some are waiting to see the final product. I guess some would not want to get competitive at a game that is always changing.

Cero

Smash Lord
Well... If I was playing either Falcon or Ganon in a Melee tournament, I wouldn't want to get used to PM Falcon/Ganon's improved forward B's.

Small things like that can screw you over when switching between games. Like thinking that it's ok to forward B off the stage because you'll just auto grab the ledge.

Same thing with auto sweetspot tethers.

Also. I have a question. Let's say you're Fox and you're recovering towards the ledge. Marth is edgeguarding with F-smash. Is it possible, in the latest build, to SDI the hit into the ledge and tech? Or, is that still impossible?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
This game will pick up heavily once it hits a finalized state, because at that point this game will be worth hosting tourneys for as the main event. And I mean reasonably sized tourneys.

The game will also be far more accessible, as every already knows that the demo isn't worth playing to get an accurate representation of the current status of the game.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Ledge tech works. Its just the SDI that doesn't.
Isn't it the other way around, you can SDI, but it won't let you ledge tech?
I remember something about SDI'ing not triggering wall collisions or something.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Those Melee vertex hacks are very good. The only one I notice they don't have listed is Sheik though. (Maybe Lucario?)

I'm interested to see what their ZSS looks like. When both these projects are finished, I'll be using those vertexes.

:phone:

It will be hilarious if in 10 years people are playing P:M and melee still.
Hilarious because fans took a game and made it for themselves.
And awesome.

ajajayjay

Smash Journeyman
This blogpost has turned some of the worst recoveries into some of the safest.

If coding wasn't a limitation, i think it would be best if tether characters couldn't grab ledge when someone else had just grabbed it with invincibility frames, just like the rest of the cast.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
This blogpost has turned some of the worst recoveries into some of the safest.

If coding wasn't a limitation, i think it would be best if tether characters couldn't grab ledge when someone else had just grabbed it with invincibility frames, just like the rest of the cast.
the way it is now is most like melee. if the tether wasnt on the ledge it would be on the wall like melee and grabing a ledge in melee didn't effect a wall tether thats the idea behinde the current tether i believe.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I was playing Project: M. Then I played SM64 2 hours later. THen I played Melee. Usually I just play Project M, If you have a problem with the fact that I like streaming multiple games then that is really annoying. I was kicked off the livestream editor link and now i cant even advertise.

If you would like me to never advertise anything other than a smash stream then that would be foreign to any successful site, including the most successful Teamliquid.net.

I will do it however, and only advertise smash streams. Thank you.

-PEEF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom